closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watches as investments ?

Watches as investments ?

I have read a few threads on the subject and i appreciate both sides of the argument, the for and against has been covered before so my question is this - IF buying a watch as an investment, how do you keep it ?
    At the minute i have 2 "beaters" and 4 "good" watches, if im not wearing them i take each watch out of the safe once a month, wind it up and set the time, it's as much to play with them as keep them good :roll:
    For long term storage are they better on a winder ?
    I see a few posts along the lines of buying now for a child's 18th / 21st birthday - do you just stick them in the back of the safe and get a service 18 years later?

Grand Master

Re: Watches as investments ?

Question - 'How do you make a small fortune out of watch collecting?'

Answer - 'Start with a large one' :D

:lol:

Master
    Blog Entries

They Anit

i take each watch out of the safe once a month, wind it up and set the time........

Where's the joy in this?
    Watches, for me, are wonderful mechanical men's indulgences to be used & enjoyed like cars & motorbikes & serviced when necessary. Investment opportunities should be looked at with a different hat on IMHO, as a WIS if you happen to see a rise in value through clever initial purchase, good taste, a sprinkling of knowledge & respectful ownership than that should surely be considered a happy by product no?

I couldn't enjoy my watch collection if I thought of it as an investment I would be too worried about scratches and damage from use.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie
    i take each watch out of the safe once a month, wind it up and set the time........
    I said "if im not wearing them .......", there are times when my work changes and i can't wear a good watch but i still like to keep an eye on them.
    Recently i have been wearing my sub and speedmaster in rotation and enjoying them very much but next month they will both be back in the safe for a few weeks when im working away from home.

As i said at the start he subject of investments has been covered before, im just interested in knowing how people store watches for long periods of time as that wasn't covered in previous threads.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidboy
    I have read a few threads on the subject and i appreciate both sides of the argument, the for and against has been covered before so my question is this - IF buying a watch as an investment, how do you keep it ?
    At the minute i have 2 "beaters" and 4 "good" watches, if im not wearing them i take each watch out of the safe once a month, wind it up and set the time, it's as much to play with them as keep them good :roll:
    For long term storage are they better on a winder ?
    I see a few posts along the lines of buying now for a child's 18th / 21st birthday - do you just stick them in the back of the safe and get a service 18 years later?
    Buy coins or gold bars instead. Watches are made for the purpose of being used & worn, not locked in a safe for speculation.
    ______

​Jim.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977

Answer - or have a vintage watch shop in B.A, with a nice attitude of course :D

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663
    Buy coins or gold bars instead. Watches are made for the purpose of being used & worn, not locked in a safe for speculation.
    Whilst I agree with that, recently I've bought quite a few pieces that in all honesty will never get the wrist time that they might and probably deserve. I took the view that if I buy wisely, whatever it is shouldn't lose me any money, and in the meantime I can wear and enjoy them. As long as they keep pace value wise with what I'd have earned if I'd kept the money in the building society - which is about -2 to -3% a year in real terms, I'll be happy.

I'm not sure I classify them as investments, but they are assets, which can be turned back into cash if need be.

As for keeping them on a winder, I don't. I can't see the point.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663
    I took the view that if I buy wisely, whatever it is shouldn't lose me any money, and in the meantime I can wear and enjoy them. As long as they keep pace value wise with what I'd have earned if I'd kept the money in the building society - which is about -2 to -3% a year in real terms, I'll be happy.

I'm not sure I classify them as investments, but they are assets, which can be turned back into cash if need be.

As for keeping them on a winder, I don't. I can't see the point.
    Agree with that.

I have mine in the loft in their original boxes :D TBH they're gathering dust up there, but I just can't part with them... :roll:

My understanding is that there are absolutely no problems with long term storage other than deterioration of lubrication. This happens whether a watch is worn or not. Modern oils should last 10 years or so before needing to be replaced. Of course, there's no wear in an idle movement, but a service will be required when they come out of retirement in the fullness of time.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977

Answer - 'Start with a large one' :D

Did you get that from a cracker this year? :lol:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt
    I have mine in the loft in their original boxes :D TBH they're gathering dust up there, but I just can't part with them... :roll:

My understanding is that there are absolutely no problems with long term storage other than deterioration of lubrication. This happens whether a watch is worn or not. Modern oils should last 10 years or so before needing to be replaced. Of course, there's no wear in an idle movement, but a service will be required when they come out of retirement in the fullness of time.
    I've often wondered about this. There is a local AD that I find myself in front of at least once a fortnight. It appears to have the same watches in the window for years on end. I'm willing to bet that they do nothing about the oils when they do eventually shift them.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt

Thank you :salute:

I agree that watches should be worn.

I own around 75-80 watches from £thousands to £30 and they all have their turn on the wrist.

If ever I get so anal as to buy watches as an investment , to be kept in a safe, then its time to give up.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

I've never made a penny I dont think.

Buy them because you love them.. Otherwise it'll probably end in tears. :)

Quote Originally Posted by verv
    I've never made a penny I dont think.

Buy them because you love them.. Otherwise it'll probably end in tears. :)
    Agreed :)

Journeyman

If you want a good investment then look at classic cars. If you buy right (rare, future classics) and keep the car running/maintained you can do quite well.

I subscribe to what others have said about it being better than in the bank at the moment, but the risk with high value items is if somebody else wants to take it from you.

The investment debate has already been done to death in other threads, I'm only interested in hearing how those that have put watches away for a long time have stored / serviced / maintained them - if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan
    I couldn't enjoy my watch collection if I thought of it as an investment I would be too worried about scratches and damage from use.
    +1
    And not to mention recessions we have to cope with on a daily basis currently.

I have some for wearing and some tucked away for a rainy day that I bought carefully some time ago. They still come out to play for a wind up but at the moment that is all. They were all bought with my heart not just my wallet and so I struggle to decide which one to let go if the need arose.

Peter

watches are meant to be worn and not locked up! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

FMF