closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: watch winder or not

watch winder or not

Hi guys

Very new on here and to watches in general.

Just got my second watch and looking to store the one I am not wearing somewhere nicer than just on my bedroom table.

The question is, is it true that keeping your watch in a winder will keep it in better condition rather than letting it stop and manually winding it every so often?

Cheers

Re: watch winder or not

I can't think of any reason as to why a winder would keep a watch 'in a better condition'.

Quote Originally Posted by geeboy30
    is it true that keeping your watch in a winder will keep it in better condition rather than letting it stop and manually winding it every so often?
    Opinions are divided on this. I personally don't believe a winder is better for a watch.

What is sure is that leaving your watch on a winder out on display makes it even easier for a burglar to find it.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims
    is it true that keeping your watch in a winder will keep it in better condition rather than letting it stop and manually winding it every so often?
    Opinions are divided on this. I personally don't believe a winder is better for a watch.

What is sure is that leaving your watch on a winder out on display makes it even easier for a burglar to find it.
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe when I get a collection like some of you guys I will worry about that

Seems a shame though to have a number of watches that don't get worn very often and to keep them locked away in a drawer

The "better condition" statement probably dates back to a time when oils used to lubricate watch movements would "dry out" (harden is probably a better word). Keeping the watch running seemed to aleviate the problem.

If you have 2 and plan to interchange regularly then a winder is not a bad idea as it saves re-setting the watch you are putting on that day.
    If you have a mechanical perpetual calendar then a winder is almost an essential.

If you buy one get one that's programmable and use a setting that just keeps that watch wound. No point in spinning it round and making it dizzy for no reason.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Seems a shame though to have a number of watches that don't get worn very often and to keep them locked away in a drawer
    You do not need a battery of watchwinders to display them.

Stick any name on it and you have a home for a dive watch collection per example. Although those would show off more appropriately in a

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort
    If you have 2 and plan to interchange regularly then a winder is not a bad idea as it saves re-setting the watch you are putting on that day.
    Only when it is an autoquartz.
    When a mechanical the daily rate adds up rather fast so you will probably be resetting them anyway.

Resetting a watch prior to a period of wear is all part of the tactile fun of ownership. Forget the winder and wear the watches.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries

If the watch stops, it means it wants more love from you. Putting it on a winder is a big nono for me. Buy to wear, not to display.
    If the watch can handwind, I'd say it won't hurt it, and helps you bond with the watch.

I dont believe in using watch winders. I regularly wear my auto watches at some point or other and the resetting day date and winding them is no problem.
    Only my seiko black monster can be a bit of a pain as it cannot be manually wound so you have to wear it straight away to wind it up.
    Save you money for more watches, forget the winder.

No need for winders.

They just put unnecessary "mileage" on your watch.

For the average WIS (with no overly complicated watches), there is absolutely no need for putting a watch on a winder.

I am loath to buy a watch, which has been on a winder for a prolonged period of time.

Guys,

Interesting thoughts here... I was considering a winder for my two autos but having read this thread, I think I'll settle for re-setting them if I don't ear them often enough...

A

If you think the watches will wind down between outings and they have screw down crowns then a winder is a good idea to save wear and tear on the crown and tube.

Craftsman

I've got a quad rapport winder. Lovely to look at plus it keeps watches wound so I don't have to wind them everytime I want to put them on.

I found it annoying having to set a watch I may only want to wear for a few hours as i tend to rotate watches rather randomly and frequently. But not frequently enough to keep them wound.

I would think minimal winding is better than constant winding for the watches, with only a couple I'd just swap them regularly with power reserves over 24 hrs I can't see any reason to buy one.

Craftsman

I've got a winder and never use it now although i did at first when i was changing watches over quite a bit, i wear them for weeks on end before changing them now so don't bother with it any more.

Craftsman

Some old vintage divers , cant be winded by hand so there a winder comes in handy :wink:

Thank you very much for your comments

I think I will skip the winder and just buy a nice display box

Now, how many more posts do I need to see sales corner? I can see this forum will be dangerous!!! :twisted: :twisted:

watch winder or not

Useful if you intend on changing regularly otherwise it's probably not worth it.

the wife gave me a winder for Xmas, i will use it for a while to keep her happy then it will probably disappear into a cupboard somewhere :o

I could see a winder being useful for a perpetual calendar, but not for many other movements.

Not :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by trisdg
    I could see a winder being useful for a perpetual calendar, but not for many other movements.
    I own an Oris Big Crown Complication which has ben running continuously for the past 2 years without benefit of a winder.

I just shake it for 30 seconds before breakfast and 30 seconds before supper.

By judicious positioning it keeps within a few seconds and needs no resetting.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

As long as you intend to wear the watches somewhat regularly, a winder is a good idea.

If you have watch that is "too" nice to wear, you only wear out the movement if you put it on a winder.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK
    If you think the watches will wind down between outings and they have screw down crowns then a winder is a good idea to save wear and tear on the crown and tube.
    Good point, provided the 2 watches are worn in rotation and swapped often. I`m definitely ANTI watch-winders and I`ve expounded at length on this in the past.......but I hadn`t considered this point.

Keepin watches stored away from the burglers is a point to consider; a watch-winder + watch on display in the bedroom is perhaps not a good idea.

Paul