closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any knife and knife forum fans here?

Re: Any knife and knife forum fans here?

Found my old rescue knife in the drawer,from my Fire Service days. Masters of Defence CQD Mk.1.

Library pic ...

actual knife with work watch....

This is the sharpest blade I have ever used, also has a window breaker and seatbelt/strap cutter. 154cm steel.
    F.T.F.A.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

just as we have a knife thread running, does anyone on here know about throwing knives?? makers/length and so forth?

cheers
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408
    just as we have a knife thread running, does anyone on here know about throwing knives?? makers/length and so forth?

cheers
    mike
    HERE you go for a start.
    F.T.F.A.

I had a set of the Hibben ones years ago, i found them a bit small to hold comfortably but a little practice and i could group quite well with them at maybe 15'.
    BKCG is probably the very last place I'd buy a knife.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

thats great! thanks for the link

cheers
    mike

I have a few military knives from the days when I was more interested in collecting them; a couple of 2nd pattern fairbairn sykes (one Wilkinson FS Fighting Knife engraved) and a smatchet which is a big thing. Also own several Fallkniven's which I rate very highly, including a test production 3G F1 (I think they made about 130 of them) and a couple of P3 folders.

Cheers
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    Bry - yes, I like the fire steel as they are very convenient to use.

Ray Mears is great to watch. I far prefer him to that other idiot, who just is too frenetic.

The episode with Mears, where he disclosed how partisans survived behind enemy lines in WWII, was very interesting.

You can get the fire steel relatively cheap on eflay.

Why an inner tube, I must have missed that one?

Ray Mear often uses small slices of tyre rubber or the like to light fire using matches
    its a good way and you get the fire going very easily
    back in my army days we used to do that when we stayed in the bush for long ; i miss some of those nights/days

Thank you, raptor.

What an excellent idea.

When watching Mears, I must have missed that one.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz
    I polished this little knife up and put a good edge on it, it did look nice until i ordered a breakfast at work and realised that i only had a fork in my bag and so used this, the brown sauce stained it sumfink awful :(

[...]

I don't know what steel this is but it holds a good edge for ages 8)
    Sauce leaving a stain on it (probably acidic) and the ability to hold a good edge are trademarks of non-stainless steel - ex. carbon steel with no chromium (or very little). Decent tool steel with the proper heat treatment will make the best knives, but you have to be more careful with them since they'll rust easily when compared to stainless. Nice little knife you have there.

I was just posting this on another forum and i remembered this thread so i thought i'd bring it back to life
    This is a knife i commissioned from a maker called Joonas Kallioniemi, he very kindly took the time to document the build as he went along

1. Here are the "raw" materials we begin with. We have some 11mm round bar silversteel for the blade, a piece of curly birch for the handle and some brass for the bolster and the rivets.

2. First off, the steel bar is heated in a forge and hammered flatter and the tang of the blade is forged out.

3. This shows the blade-to-be being cut from the bar.

4. After cutting the piece is given some shape and it also gets some precurve to compensate the curving that occurs when beveling the blade.

5. The bevels of the blade are forged in.

6. Here the bevels have been roughly forged and the blade is being inspected.

7. Forging is all done! Here is the forged blade with the round bar it was forged from.

8. Before grinding the blade I remove the forging scale on a grinding wheel because that hard oxide surface quickly ruins the grinding belts.

9. The profile of the knife is ground to shape.

10. The bevels of the knife are ground.

11. And here we have a rough ground blade, almost ready for heat treating...

12. Now, with a filing jig, I file the shoulders of the blade to make it easier to put the bolster in place.

13. Here the blade has gone through heat treating. The blade is oil-hardened and it has gotten two tempering cycles. I use an oven to be completely sure of the temperatures.

14. After heat treating I finish the blade and test it after which I etch my name on it (if the blade doesn't get thrown away).

15. Here is the bolster and rivet for the handle. They have been slotted.

16. After slotting comes the fitting of the bolster to the blade. It gets there, slowly.

17. Then, when the bolster is finished, the whole thing is assembled and the tang is peened. Note that the peening goes flush with the rivet. This is because the hole in the rivet is countersinked.

18. Here is the assembled knife, ready to get the handle shaped.

19. And after some shaping and finishing the handle is ready.

20. Next phase is to make the wooden liner for the sheath. The outline of the blade is transfered on the wood and carved.

21. Then, the liner is glued and shaped.

22. Here we have some leather ready for the sheath. I have thinned the leather towards the tip and you can also see that the upper side will be thinned and folded.

23. The belt hanger is also cut. Some time ago I got an idea to make a solid rivet for the hanger and ever since I have used this way. The rivet is slided in and when the brass link is put in place it stops the thing from coming apart.

24. Here you can see the hanger assembled. Once the brass link is closed this won't come undone.

25. I sew the sheath wet over the knife and the liner and after it has dried it gets some leather dye and grease and the belt hanger is put in place. Then the knife is finished.
    And so the finished knife, Curly birch, brass fittings and silver steel blade.

And along side a few well known knives as an indication of size, (sorry my pictures really don't do the knife justice)

Along side a couple that belong to another form member.

Some beautiful knives in this thread :)

I have always been a fan of Spyderco. Here's a DK Penknife I used to own, and a Cricket I still have:

:D I was carrying my CF UKPK this week

Master

Quote Originally Posted by rapidboy
    I was just posting this on another forum and i remembered this thread so i thought i'd bring it back to life
    This is a knife i commissioned from a maker called Joonas Kallioniemi, he very kindly took the time to document the build as he went along
    That's a really interesting and informative post - thanks for taking the effort. For my use, I need lots of cheap, sharp knives so generally buy the Mora you posted towards the end, but if I was in the market for something else, that looks impressive. Good to know the name for future reference, at least.

I have a few Mora's myself, :lol:

I was going to post a sarcy comment about thread necromancing, but I missed that post the first time round, and I really enjoyed reading it.

Craftsman

I am a member of British Blades , i collect old and new Sheffield folders .

Craftsman

I bought a sub from british blades, meant to have a nosey round at some point. Some excellent threads over there but not sure I need another collection hobby!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by anton863
    I bought a sub from british blades, meant to have a nosey round at some point. Some excellent threads over there but not sure I need another collection hobby!
    You can never have too many collections :lol:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by mffw
    Quote Originally Posted by anton863
    You can never have too many collections :lol:
    But you can have too little money!

Although I have properly streamlined the watch collection so plenty of spare cash floating about :lol: