closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Seiko LM

Craftsman

Vintage Seiko LM

Hi folks,

I've been thinking of thinning the herd and going all in on a vintage Grand Seiko. I remembered the thread about Tony's (LTF) GS and particuarly liked the short lugs and case style so started looking into cheaper alternatives in order to get a feel for the GS look before deciding on whether or not it's the watch for me.

And this is what I ended up with - a Seiko Lord Matic 5606 7000 dating from June 1972. It came with the original stainless steel bracelet but have put it on a cheap croc strap until I can order a Hirsch Lizard, which i think will suit it better. The watch seems to be in good order (I'd read the quick set feature is a weak spot but this one seems okay) and is keeping good time, though it may find it's way to Rich Askham at some point for a service and clean up. I'm especially liking the Kanji datewheel!

Thanks for looking.
    Mark

Re: Vintage Seiko LM

Good looking watch, really like that case.

:D Very classy, lovely case design with nice simple dial and hands.

Craftsman

It really is very nice ,class acct .If its got seiko on it im a fan to be honest
    nice one
    Tony :mrgreen:

That's a very nice LM with elements of GS styling.

I would be happy with that. :)
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman

Thanks for the comments chaps :) . Anyone know anything else about this particular movement?

Beautiful LordMatic Karm I'm very envious!

As you have mentioned, the quickset date feature is the achilles heel on the 5606 movement. There is a plastic component in the quickset mechanism and when that wears or breaks it's very difficult to find a replacement.

They do have a beautiful movement though :) :

Nice!

Love the character on the date wheel

is this Japanese days of the week?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop
    Beautiful LordMatic Karm I'm very envious!

As you have mentioned, the quickset date feature is the achilles heel on the 5606 movement. There is a plastic component in the quickset mechanism and when that wears or breaks it's very difficult to find a replacement.

They do have a beautiful movement though :) :

Thanks Cannop :D I didn't realise the movement was such a 'looker'. Am I right in thinking that if the quickset mechanism breaks I would still be able to manually wind the date on? Thinking it might be worth trying to find a cheapo on the bay for spares.

@geeboy30 - Yes, I have the datewheel Kanji (japanese), which I think looks 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Karm
    Thanks Cannop :D I didn't realise the movement was such a 'looker'. Am I right in thinking that if the quickset mechanism breaks I would still be able to manually wind the date on? Thinking it might be worth trying to find a cheapo on the bay for spares.
    Yes you would be able to adjust the date by advancing the time past midnight - a bit of a faff if you're a fortnight off on the date! It's suggested that you don't use the quickset between 20:00 and 01:00 as there is a real risk of breaking it if you do. The four pronged date rocker is the component that's made from plastic. Unfortunately it seems that the plastic it was made from leads to it's downfall. There have been examples of NOS ones turning up in sealed packets that have split just through age. The 60/70's plastic technology just wasn't up to the job.

There is an excellent article on the 5606 movement written by Randall Benson (Dr Seiko) that anyone interested in the LM's should read. Find it here:

http://seiko-divers.info/scwf/index.php ... liber+5606

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Karm
    Yes you would be able to adjust the date by advancing the time past midnight - a bit of a faff if you're a fortnight off on the date! It's suggested that you don't use the quickset between 20:00 and 01:00 as there is a real risk of breaking it if you do. The four pronged date rocker is the component that's made from plastic. Unfortunately it seems that the plastic it was made from leads to it's downfall. There have been examples of NOS ones turning up in sealed packets that have split just through age. The 60/70's plastic technology just wasn't up to the job.

There is an excellent article on the 5606 movement written by Randall Benson (Dr Seiko) that anyone interested in the LM's should read. Find it here:

http://seiko-divers.info/scwf/index.php ... liber+5606
    Thanks for the info and posting the link. An interesting read that makes me all the more happy with my latest acquisition :D

No problem Karm. Just remember me when you you let the LM go for the GS! :)

Craftsman

No problem Karm. Just remember me when you you let the LM go for the GS! :)
    Will do. I hope that's sooner rather than later for both of us :lol: though the LM will keep me more than happy until I have the necessary for a GS.

That's lovely, Mark- these watches are fantastic value too. Interesting info regarding the date wheel - live and learn, eh?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    That's lovely, Mark- these watches are fantastic value too. Interesting info regarding the date wheel - live and learn, eh?
    Thanks Tony. Live and learn indeed. It's the friendly flow of information both public and via pm that makes this place so great. :D

Mark

Craftsman

Hello Karm,
    It's been while after a month break of from the computer , am back on the pounder for me and so to the watches!
    Yes the plastic rocker is an issue but if you look at the KS 5246 also identical metal rocker wheel in other cases you can order a custom made metal rocker wheel in yahoo japan so no worries there.
    The real fault of the 5606 is the spacing between the edge of the two pin balance wheel, it is too close and lack tolerance, hence if it is a watch that has not been service, the two edge of the pin is easily worn down, you can detect this symptom by putting it face up on your time grapher and it goes slow or fast and then next side would be the opposite of the result you get.
    This was the real 5606 issue, so if you get one make it has been service regularly.
    Even though seiko watches are one of my favs, the QC of an LM (ones which has the day date) if not GS or KS is significantly lower then a standard low range ETA(this apply to the balance wheel material).

This is just my two cents,

Eric
    Back from the dead

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by thepoetboy
    Hello Karm,
    It's been while after a month break of from the computer , am back on the pounder for me and so to the watches!
    Yes the plastic rocker is an issue but if you look at the KS 5246 also identical metal rocker wheel in other cases you can order a custom made metal rocker wheel in yahoo japan so no worries there.
    The real fault of the 5606 is the spacing between the edge of the two pin balance wheel, it is too close and lack tolerance, hence if it is a watch that has not been service, the two edge of the pin is easily worn down, you can detect this symptom by putting it face up on your time grapher and it goes slow or fast and then next side would be the opposite of the result you get.
    This was the real 5606 issue, so if you get one make it has been service regularly.
    Even though seiko watches are one of my favs, the QC of an LM (ones which has the day date) if not GS or KS is significantly lower then a standard low range ETA(this apply to the balance wheel material).

This is just my two cents,

Eric
    Back from the dead
    Hi Eric and welcome back

That's interesting thanks for the info. I will have to get mine serviced sooner rather than later.

Mark