closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Iron Lady.

Thomas Reid

The Iron Lady.

Saw the film this evening. In general, the reviewers didn't like it, but I did. Streep was very good. Broadbent was the perfect film Dennis Thatcher. My wife thought the film amazingly good. She isn't an admirer of Thatcher, and, indeed, said that she exulted in voting against giving Thatcher an honorary degree at Oxford (although they attended the same college), but she saw Thatcher in a much more sympathetic light after seeing the film.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Re: The Iron Lady.

Having taught in schools in mining areas through the Thatcher years and which were heavily affected by the miners' strike you can, perhaps, understand why this film will never be graced by my presence.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    Having taught in schools in mining areas through the Thatcher years and which were heavily affected by the miners' strike you can, perhaps, understand why this film will never be graced by my presence.

Or mine I hope it bombs

Master

Having been born and raised in a mining village, even though I was nine/ten during the strike I can remember some of it, not as much as the older members of my family...

This film, and Thatcher, can (insert word) right off.

I'll be giving that a miss. The less I'm reminded about Thatch, the better.

Master

Saw the film last night. Absolutely lovely film.

And what a lady. I really hope there are more like her in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    Saw the film this evening. In general, the reviewers didn't like it, but I did. Streep was very good. Broadbent was the perfect film Dennis Thatcher. My wife thought the film amazingly good. She isn't an admirer of Thatcher, and, indeed, said that she exulted in voting against giving Thatcher an honorary degree at Oxford (although they attended the same college), but she saw Thatcher in a much more sympathetic light after seeing the film.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    I'd like to think that I'm more broadminded politically these days than in my youth.........but you know I still can't forgive that woman. So to go along to see any film that portray's her in a forgiving light just sticks in my throat......how many will be taken in buy this version of 'reality' ?

Craftsman

I'm sure it's a good film but I can't stand the woman so I won't watch it.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by UJJWALDEY8165

Yes but not in UK.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

I have her in my bathroom.

I'm off to see the film on Thursday, don't think you can go wrong with a mix of mags and meryl.

Banned

I,m looking forward to seeing this ..i love Maggie btw . 8)

only film i'll watch about Thatcher is her funeral

Craftsman

Why so much hatred for her? I was born and brought up in a mining town and lived through the miner's strikes but can't seem to understand why?

Master

Can't wait to see it, I also love Maggie.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw
    only film i'll watch about Thatcher is her funeral
    Well said.

Wonderful leader, wonderful lady (in the true sense of the word)...shame we don't have many politicians with her scruples and convictions (genuine) these days. I will at least catch it on DVD if I don't make it to the cinema.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colin
    Oooo where did you get that mug?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by verv
    I bought it online about two years ago. When I get home tonight I'll search my emails for the website.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

I just had an amazon and eBay nose, no sign.
    Would be a killer office mug though, my boss a member of the green party and I like to antagonise.

Good film, a touch on the maudlin side in places. The usual disaffected lefty losers may be surprised by how even-handed it is.

Nothing evenhanded about that woman. And, oddly maybe, I'm not particularly left. I just saw the effects firsthand among the children whose lives she helped ruin.

Hmmmmmm some interesting views aired. I think time has perhaps diluted the memory of some (or they were too young to really digest what was happening?) the horrendous policies that were inflicted upon the UK population by this so called ‘Iron Ladies’ regime. I attended rallies and the picket lines during the Wapping riots.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/date ... 455083.stm
    It felt as though we were living in a Police state during those dark days. I may get to see the film, as the wife has a thing about Meryl Streep. Yes I earned ‘Loads of money’ during some of Thatcher’s tenancy but by the end of her reign the construction industry was on its knees. In my eyes she will be remembered as the destroyer of craft/skill based engineers and builders of the like this country will never see again. Her selling off of all the council houses may well go down as one of the most costly peace time British calamities of the 20th Century; I suppose it’s down to who writes the history books, but for those that experienced it...... unforgivable. :angryfire:

Master

Wonderful lady my arse

Quote Originally Posted by verv
    I bought it online about two years ago. When I get home tonight I'll search my emails for the website.
    Google revealed this site. Seems a bit of a high price to pay. http://www.zazzle.co.uk/margaret_thatch ... 0951653240

Master

If I want to see a film about an evil witch, I'll watch The Wizard Of Oz again.

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart
    I think time has perhaps time has diluted the memory of some (or they were too young to really digest what was happening?)
    Interestingly, this sentence could have been written by a supporter against her detractors, as much as a detractor against her supporters.

I think I will see the film, not because I'm a fan, but because it's going to pretty hard to contribute to the discussion about it without having seeing it!

This is not the Bear Pit, so I'll be polite. Some of you have a very one-eyed view of history, yes there was a Miner's strike, but it was Scargill who caused it (and consequently destroyed the industry, as the outcome was much worse than the proposed cutbacks) but for some reason he has been deified by the left. At the time the country was going to hell in a handcart, any if Thatcher had not made a stand, none of you would be buying Rolexes etc, because there is no way you would afford one at an exchange rate of £4 per €.

Frankie Boyle on the cost of a state funeral for Thatcher:

"For three million they could give everyone in Scotland a shovel, and we would dig a hole so deep that we could hand her over to Satan personally"

:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmmomV-ax-s
    (58 sec into the video)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb
    This is not the Bear Pit, so I'll be polite. Some of you have a very one-eyed view of history, yes there was a Miner's strike, but it was Scargill who caused it (and consequently destroyed the industry, as the outcome was much worse than the proposed cutbacks) but for some reason he has been deified by the left. At the time the country was going to hell in a handcart, any if Thatcher had not made a stand, none of you would be buying Rolexes etc, because there is no way you would afford one at an exchange rate of £4 per €.
    I do love it when people rewrite history. :twisted:
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Who needs Meryl?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tetk_ayO ... re=related

That's the way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    Why, the Govt proposal was to close 20 pits, how many were lost due to deterioration during the strike?

...tenancy but by the end of her reign the construction industry was on its knees. In my eyes she will be remembered as the destroyer of craft/skill based engineers and builders of the like this country will never see again. ....... :angryfire:
    The incoming Bliar administration didn't exactly cover themselves in glory with the 10 year moratorium on Road building, at least we got M25 , M42 and M1/M62 out of the Tories

Blog Entries

Aye right!

Didn't VAT rise from 8% to 17.5% under her rule?
    What did that do to the price of your Rolex?
    Milk snatcher :evil:

Why, the Govt proposal was to close 20 pits, how many were lost due to deterioration during the strike?
    None. Full maintenance at all collieries was undertaken throughout the whole strike.
    Best Regards - Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    ............ The usual disaffected lefty losers may be surprised by how even-handed it is.
    "Even-handed", in the same sentance as "lefty losers".......no prizes for guessing just how even-handed you're being then :D

.......Some of you have a very one-eyed view of history, yes there was a Miner's strike, but it was Scargill who caused it.....
    Isn't that also being a bit "one-eyed" ???

As Billy Bragg once said "......just remember there are 2 sides to every story" 8)

None. Full maintenance at all collieries was undertaken throughout the whole strike.
    Sorry, it was emergency maintenance only a a lot of pits, and some of that was done by "white collar" workers, or staff brought in from open cast mines, so you know how effective that would've been.

Not true.

Some of the engineers felt that going on strike would actually work against the cause, as lack of maintenance below ground could allow geological conditions to deteriorate to a state that would prevent the pit from reopening - defeating the whole goal of opposing closures; however, hard-line strikers were not always sympathetic to this line of argument. The first two pits to close in 1985 were Barrow colliery at Worsborough Bridge and Ackton Hall colliery at Featherstone. Both were closed as they were unsafe for the miners to return to work rather than because continued operation would have been "uneconomic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_miners% ... %931985%29

Sorry, it was emergency maintenance only a a lot of pits, and some of that was done by "white collar" workers, or staff brought in from open cast mines, so you know how effective that would've been.
    Yes, apologies, I should have not used the word 'full'.
    Best Regards - Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow
    I think time has perhaps time has diluted the memory of some (or they were too young to really digest what was happening?)
    Interestingly, this sentence could have been written by a supporter against her detractors, as much as a detractor against her supporters.

I think I will see the film, not because I'm a fan, but because it's going to pretty hard to contribute to the discussion about it without having seeing it!
    Sorry...but that was a bit of a low blow picking up on a typo :roll:

Master

I 1988 I happened to be in Sao Paulo, Brazil, bookshop. I found in the front window a series of hardbacks on the worlds greatest leaders..in Portuguese. Guess who was there in the top 5...Yip..Maggie. Quite amusing as the neighbours still bitter re the Falklands!

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by numberjack
    Aye right!

Didn't VAT rise from 8% to 17.5% under her rule?
    No. Do you research and you'll find it rose from 12.5% to 15%.

Top rate of income tax did fall from 96% to 40%, though.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by teknicolourfox
    Wonderful lady my arse
    Wonderful arse mi lady .

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Puller
    I 1988 I happened to be in Sao Paulo, Brazil, bookshop. I found in the front window a series of hardbacks on the worlds greatest leaders..in Portuguese. Guess who was there in the top 5...Yip..Maggie.
    You will find that to be true in many parts of the world.

We watched in awe and inspiration as she pulled her country out of almost certain economic ruin and set it on a path of growth and prosperity; and hoped our leaders would do that too.

Her own countrymen, who benefitted the most from her policies, on the other hand.......

Anything that tries to make me feel any sympathy for her must be the work of evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Puller
    I 1988 I happened to be in Sao Paulo, Brazil, bookshop. I found in the front window a series of hardbacks on the worlds greatest leaders..in Portuguese. Guess who was there in the top 5...Yip..Maggie.
    You will find that to be true in many parts of the world.

We watch in awe and inspiration as she pulled her country out of almost certain economic ruin and set it on a path of growth and prosperity; and hoped our leaders would do that too.

Her own countrymen, who benefitted the most from her policies, on the other hand.......
    Yes, a lot of people seem to forget this...if you think the last Labour Govt left this country in a mess in 2010, people are all too quick to forget (read: overlook) what happened in the late 70s. :roll:

Blog Entries

Here's an impartial review... http://youtu.be/B1NyWbhCxZE
    z

Master

Quote Originally Posted by zelig
    Here's an impartial review... http://youtu.be/B1NyWbhCxZE
    z
    That's actually a fairly accurate assessment of what I think about Thatcher! The dichotomy that on the one hand ( and something the lefties really do seem to forget ) the country really was going to hell in a hand-cart in the '70's, the union's and that berk Scargill had to be broken and the economy had to be 're-aligned' to enable it to compete in the modern world as it was then - and she did it and possibly saved us from oblivion. On t'other hand the unexpected and unwanted side-effect of the way we focused in so hard on the financial and services industries and the way she handled societal issues seeded the selfish, greedy, celebrity-obsessed fecklessness and carelessness we see splitting our society in half today. The singer's right I reckon, in that it's taken a while to really show itself but it's properly embedded in multiple generations now - very difficult to untangle. I reckon that can be traced directly back to Thatcher.

Blog Entries

The Iron Lady.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn
    .... the unexpected and unwanted side-effect of the way we focused in so hard on the financial and services industries and the way she handled societal issues seeded the selfish, greedy, celebrity-obsessed fecklessness and carelessness we see splitting our society in half today. The singer's right I reckon, in that it's taken a while to really show itself but it's properly embedded in multiple generations now - very difficult to untangle. I reckon that can be traced directly back to Thatcher.
    Totally agree.

z

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow

Sorry...but that was a bit of a low blow picking up on a typo :roll:
    I honestly didn't notice a typo! (In fact I still don't...where is it?) I was only pointing out the irony that you statement would work equally well whichever side of the argument was using it. An observation, nothing more. As has been pointed out; this isn't the Bear Pit.

Banned

it was a good time for traders,mobile phone salesmen and the selfish.

meanwhile i was applying for a job with 200 other people and feeling like a leper.

some of us felt like we where made to be the enemy,nothing to do with being a lefty i wasnt.

i didnt know i could hate some one so much untill thatcher.

so where is this better England we where promised?