closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Non-Iron Cotton Shirts

Non-Iron Cotton Shirts

Can you really pull one out of the dryer, put it straight, and head out to work without anyone noticing it's not been near an iron?

Re: Non-Iron Cotton Shirts

Not in my world - still need washing and ironing.

In my experience, despite what Messrs Marks and Spencer would have you believe, there is no such thing as a "non-iron" shirt.

On occasion I have washed and tumble dried mine and by then giving them 24 hours on a hanger it's possible to get away without ironing. But not always.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Not according to the wife :P
    Gray

You won't get nice crisp creases down the arms without ironing.

TM Lewin ones are just about passable but still don't look as good as a well ironed one!

Absolutely not! In fact they still need ironing and are more troublesome because the crease in the sleeve stays in, so you have to faff about finding exactly the right place or you end up with tramlines (positively unthinkable).

They should be removed from sale under the trades descriptions act! Any shirt is 'non-iron' if you don't mind it looking a mess. :lol:

I have a couple of non iron shirts but find them to crease quite badly (line dried, no fancy tumble dryer for me!). I mainly have normal shirts and just hang them properly to dry. Barely done any ironing in the last 3 years

Or for the ultimate non iron shirt , get yourself a wife :lol:

Master

They are crap, I have a few and they most definitely need to be ironed after washing.

Waste of money in my experience.

We have people on the forum who iron lines on their sleeves?

Heathens.

Eaton shirts are pretty good, you can wash it in the hotel shower before you retire to bed, hang it up, and it's ready to go in the morning.

I wouldn't suggest they look just pressed sharp, but after an hour of wearing they will be roughly comparable to a traditional shirt.

No way no such thing!

Tried the TM lewin non iron, no chance you'd be able to wear them straight from the wash.

Im tempted to indulge in the £1 per shirt washed & ironed service at our offices.

It would be nice, but in my experience there's no such thing!

Good job my wife does the ironing!

:D

Quote Originally Posted by RickChard
    It would be nice, but in my experience there's no such thing!

Good job my wife does the ironing!

:D
    Me too, so lucky.

Craftsman

I find Tyrwhitts non iron can be worn from the dryer if tumbled no more than 3 at a time.

My understanding is that it's thin cotton with a chemical coating. Wash it, dry it and wear it and then most, but not all, of the creases will come out.
    Apparently bamboo cotton is genuinely non-iron but I haven't tried any yet.

Of course a real man irons his own shirts as he's the only person who knows how to do it properly.

I've got a few from Brooks Brothers. They still need ironing and they're also like wearing a plastic bag in the summer as the fabric cant breath. If you're too lazy to iron buy poly-cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697
    I've got a few from Brooks Brothers. They still need ironing and they're also like wearing a plastic bag in the summer as the fabric cant breath. If you're too lazy to iron buy poly-cotton.

This.

I found the exact same thing the last time I had a non iron shirt - it was hot. Something to do with double taped seams or something...

Anyway, I found the best shirts for me are tailored or slim fit. Less material to iron and because they are V shaped they stay more crease free when I am wearing them.

Master

I find the Van Heusen non-irons are passable - but they do need line hanging and not tumble drying I find.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Fifer
    I find Tyrwhitts non iron can be worn from the dryer if tumbled no more than 3 at a time.

I find Charles Tyrwhitt are pretty good, but I still like them ironed.

That said, they are bigger spammers than Watchfinder!

Perhaps too much of a generalisation but expensive shirts seem to come out of the dryer more creased than less expensive shirts.

The only make that I have found lives up to the non-iron label is Peter England.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea
    We have people on the forum who iron lines on their sleeves?

Heathens.

Heathens indeed. A gentleman's shirt should not have have a crease running the length of the sleeve from shoulder to cuff.

I've even seen people who extend the crease up through the yoke and down on to the cuff. !

Might just as well go the whole hog and have a breast pocket!

Gary

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Podie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fifer

I find Charles Tyrwhitt are pretty good, but I still like them ironed.

That said, they are bigger spammers than Watchfinder!
    +1, they do like a brochure and an email :D , but I have to say I wear there non iron cut away collar shirts, without going near an iron.

I wear a suit all day and very rarely take of my jacket so I don't need to be fannying around with military precision ironed sleeves etc

Quote Originally Posted by spogehead
    I wear a suit all day and very rarely take of my jacket so I don't need to be fannying around with military precision ironed sleeves etc

Just iron the front, collar and the cuffs - job done :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy
    Quote Originally Posted by spogehead

Just iron the front, collar and the cuffs - job done :D
    Seriously I don't touch them, straight out the dryer and in the wardrobe. Not once has any of the mouthy herberts who work for me passed comment on the condition of my shirt.....the rest of me yes, but never my unironed shirts :wink:

I would have agreed with most comments until a week ago. But having just checked my new Charles Tyrwhitt non-iron shirts that have been washed then hung up in the airing cupboard - they actually look very good.

I am very pleasantly surprised, and they were in the sale which I believe may still be on.

Master

Always done the shirt ironing myself - therapeutic. Use a little spray starch as well!

And yes - I do have a wife 8)

I think this comes down to your sartorial standards and expectations. They work OK for me, but I usually look as if I've slept in the clothes that someone had already died in, so I'd take even less notice of me on this than on other topics.

Craftsman

I have some Jupiter non-iron shirts that are fine - just hang them to dry on a coat hanger.

Craftsman

By just wearing a shirt people know you have made an effort, you don't need to iron it.

There are shops in America that require you to wear a shirt and shoes before they will serve you. They are not bothered if you do or do not iron it.

If you are bothered about creases the best way is to get the shirt out the machine as soon as it stops and hang it on a hanger to dry. If you are going to wear a suit people can't see the creases and even by the afternoon an ironed shirt will be creased.

Craftsman

I always buy Charles Tyrwhitt non-iron shirts. They definitely need ironing after washing to look their best but I find them much easier to iron than other shirts. I also travel a lot for work and they definitely crease less in a suitcase and look better once they've been put on a hangar for a few hours than anything else I've tried.

I buy them from Charles T too. If you let them dry in the wind they are actually no iron. :wink:

Master

I've tried hundreds of shirts and in terms of non-iron, Tyrwhitt's are OK for me. They're not always good enough but more often than not, whip them out of the washing machine and hang on a decent hanger to dry and they're good to go.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by colin
    They are crap, I have a few and they most definitely need to be ironed after washing.

Waste of money in my experience.
    As an amendment to my earlier post, I just bought some Charles Tyrwhitt shirts which are non-iron (I didn't notice this when I ordered) and they are pretty much the closest to actually being non-iron that I've found. They still need a bit of a going over, but definitely not bad.

Craftsman

For me, one of the worst things that can be done with a shirt is to stuff it in the tumble drier. If washed and hung on a hanger to dry, the shirt will last a lot longer. Stick it in a tumble drier and the collar will get damaged. A dark coloured shirt will look awful in no time.

As to ironing, if hung up to dry (either on a washing line or a hanger) it will be far less creased and easier to dry as a consequence. Leave it in the washing basket wet and it will be a nightmare. As to non iron, it depends how scruffy you want to look. I would never wear a shirt without it being ironed unless I was doing DIY or digging in the garden.