closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Marine Master time keeping

Seiko Marine Master time keeping

Hello I finally found my grail, SBDX001 Marine Master 300m 2nd hand from 2007.
    I've had it for a week constantly on my wrist and noticed it lost around 1 minute, so in the last 24 hours I monitored and saw it lose about 8-9 seconds. I know this is on the edge of declared specs, -10 +15, only I wish I'd been a little bit luckier...
    Who services this watch in UK/Europe? I'm definitely not sending it to Japan, after all it's like 4 minutes a month, I can live with that, but if there's someone reliable enough, and around the corner from Madrid, Spain, I might give it a thought.

thanks

Re: Seiko Marine Master time keeping

While it is your choice, I would recommend that you store it at night in a position that tends to speed it up. While not terribly difficult to open/service, it does increase the risk of something else going wrong.
    Mine is +15, so you are doing pretty good :) .

Quote Originally Posted by lenny
    While it is your choice, I would recommend that you store it at night in a position that tends to speed it up. While not terribly difficult to open/service, it does increase the risk of something else going wrong.
    ok thanks for your reply, it's not the end of the world but I was hoping for a better performance by this mythological piece..
    I sold an Omega SMP 2254 some time ago, that was on something like half a second off, if it weren't for the ticking you'd pretty much think it was a quartz one..
    But I really like the MM300 a lot more, there's not even comparison and I don't think I'm parting ways with this one any soon..

To put this in context, by my maths 9 seconds a day is 0.0104% deviation from perfection.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I see your point, by MY math, 1 sec a day > 10 secs a day :bounce: (actually it's the other way round but you get what I mean..)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danigramm
    I've had it for a week constantly on my wrist and noticed it lost around 1 minute, so in the last 24 hours I monitored and saw it lose about 8-9 seconds. I know this is on the edge of declared specs, -10 +15, only I wish I'd been a little bit luckier...
    Who services this watch in UK/Europe? I'm definitely not sending it to Japan, after all it's like 4 minutes a month, I can live with that, but if there's someone reliable enough, and around the corner from Madrid, Spain, I might give it a thought.

thanks

Don't they have specs as good or better than COSC? They cost a bloody fortune!

Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen

Specs

Debut ??
    Size ligne
    26 jewels
    Automatic, bidirectional winding, magic lever system.
    Rate: 28,800 vph
    Power reserve: 50 hours
    hacking and Handwinding
    Hour, minute, central seconds, Quickset date
    Accuracy rated at -10 to +15 seconds per day
    Undecorated and Unadjusted

sauce: http://watchotaku.com/display/swr/Seiko+8L35

Quote Originally Posted by lenny
    ok thanks for your reply, it's not the end of the world but I was hoping for a better performance by this myhological piece..
    I sold an Omega SMP 2254 some time ago, that was on something like half a second off, if it weren't for the ticking you'd pretty much think it was a quartz one..
    But I really like the MM300 a lot more, there's not even comparison and I don't think I'm parting ways with this one any soon..
    Remember, this is an unregulated movement. You need to get to the Grand Seiko (or a spring drive) to get tighter timekeeping. That's not to say that it can't be regulated better, it's just that you may be better off waiting a few more years until you actually need to get it serviced.

Here is a thread showing how the 8l35 is disassembled:
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/621198/m ... eter+Diver.

thanks

Not the mm300 (it's unregulated). You need a Grand Seiko or Spring Drive to get/beat COSC. Remember, the watch cost $1500 (970 GBP) about 5 years ago!

Blog Entries

I'm wearing my second Marinemaster. The first one was a MY2000 and it kept time perfectly until it started running fast: at first 5 sec/day, a few months later 20 sec/day and it became worse. Like you, I wasn't too sure sending the watch to Japan and I sold the watch to a fellow forum member. He had the watch serviced in Japan with the help of the Seiko Holland in Amsterdam. They took on the transport etc. It came back within weeks and the full service was about 350 euros.

Last month, I bought a brand new Marinemaster. The watch arrived two days ago. I've been wearing the watch since it came out of the box; on my wrist from 7AM - 11PM, on its back on a shelf between 11 and 7. The watch is fast 1 sec/day. So, the watch is pretty accurate when new.

My advise: get it serviced. Try Seiko Japan, or find a very competent watchmaker who can perform a service with Dr Seiko's step by step guide on his computer: http://seikoholics.yuku.com/topic/152#.Txhf2SNrI8g

Menno

whats the big deal about accuracy you pervs. you dont seek out the most beautiful woman in the world and then moan she doesnt do the washing up. sheesh get a g shock already.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

The fact that Seiko can't be bothered to regulate it before they sell it has always prevented me from buying one up to now. It's a level of care I wouldn't find acceptable at half the price. If it's too much of an effort for them I'm not buying.

Sloppy.

Banned
    Blog Entries

That's a fair point but:

When you can buy a Swiss or German chronometer rated watch second hand or new (wempe) for less than a grand why on earth would you buy an unadjusted seiko? Makes no sense to me at all.

I think I just don't get the seiko thing. And I cirtainly dont understand spending a grand on a watch that has an unadjusted movement. Maybe I'm confused, we are talking about the MM300 and 600's that many guys here rave about?! -10 +15?? All the precistas I've had do better than that!

That's a fair point but:

When you can buy a Swiss or German chronometer rated watch second hand or new (wempe) for less than a grand why on earth would you buy an unadjusted seiko? Makes no sense to me at all.

I think I just don't get the seiko thing. And I cirtainly dont understand spending a grand on a watch that has an unadjusted movement. Maybe I'm confused, we are talking about the MM300 and 600's that many guys here rave about?! -10 +15?? All the precistas I've had do better than that!
    I doubt that you can get an adjusted in-house movement watch for that price.

That's a fair point but:

I sold a brand new 2254 for less than I bought this MM300.. It kept amazing time, but I just didn't like it, while I love this Marine Master. I can live with 4 minutes a month (and my one is at the extreme of the interval spec), and it will be serviced anyways sometime so no big deal.. It's only that I never paid too much attention maybe to those specs and I was a bit surprised (not dissapoint son)

Blog Entries

Regulating a MM movement. Interesting reading. http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.ph...topicseen.html

Menno

Sell a brand spanking new 2254.50 to buy a MM300?! Lucky bastard that bought the 2254 :D

Well, i guess its good with different taste, might get abit boring on the forums otherwise..

Have a word with Seiko Service Centre in Maidenhead for a service. As to getting it fine tuned, I am sorry I cannot advise.

Do you like the watch?

If you don't, I've got a spare fiver and I'll buy it off you.

ATB

Quote Originally Posted by Lalive
    Sell a brand spanking new 2254.50 to buy a MM300?! Lucky bastard that bought the 2254 :D

Well, i guess its good with different taste, might get abit boring on the forums otherwise..
    well we'll be further apart after you hear this.. I sold the 2254 to buy a Darth Tuna, and I sold one Omega Speedmaster Split Seconds to buy the MM!! lol
    but yes, I sold the Omega to a friend, he deserved a good price which he got, I could've sold it for more than I had bought it but I sorta broke even. Very nice watch and all, just not for me.

It's within specs, I wouldn't have it tinkered with just yet. As suggested, experiment with overnight positions, it might help alleviate the problem.

Be that as it may, I do think it's a great piece; don't let this detract from your enjoyment of it 8)

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster
    Regulating a MM movement. Interesting reading. http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.ph...topicseen.html

Menno
    great stuff thanks !!

Slow is more an issue than being fast as it might need lubrication..

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic
    Nanny!!

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic