closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Zenith Open pieces announced

New Zenith Open pieces announced

I was going to go for one of the new Chronomaster Open models soon but they just announced two new ones; one with no power reserve with the 1969-style color scheme and another with a big-date moonphase...

1969:
    http://people.timezone.com/jmerino/sihh2012zen5.jpg

moon:
    http://people.timezone.com/jmerino/sihh2012zen8.jpg

Re: New Zenith Open pieces announced

That really is rather nice.

New Zenith Open pieces announced

Looking slick, clear glass back?

That's looks beautiful :bounce:

It's better than the Defy stuff, but I'm still not sure what the point of open face bits is. Like a poor mans tourbillion. I'd much rather have a display back.

Dd

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Downing
    It's better than the Defy stuff, but I'm still not sure what the point of open face bits is. Like a poor mans tourbillion. I'd much rather have a display back.

Dd
    It has a display back, but in most movements one cannot observe the escapement, just the balance wheel due to the escapement bridge. In this case (and in other open-heart specific movements such as the 2824 open heart) the escapement bridge is skeletonized, so that you can clearly see the pallet fork and escapement wheel operating.

As for poor man's Tourbillon, I think that the EP is worth the open display since it has a higher beat escapement. Plus it's a lot more nicely executed than some others, in which there's just a random hole in the dial at 12.

This is stunning. I love adding new watches to my want list :)

Any more details on it?

Some stolen details. Don't think it's going to be cheap!! I'd guess at about £8k in SS and £15k in RG.

AN ALLIANCE OF USEFUL COMPLICATIONS
    Since the advent of the first automatic integrated chronograph launched by Zenith in 1969, the famous collection of El Primero calibres has constantly evolved, while jealously safeguarding its distinctive frequency of 10 vibrations per second (36,000 vibrations per hour), which makes this the only movement capable of measuring and displaying 1/10ths of a second. Over the more than 40 years since their introduction, the precision and reliability of the El Primero chronographs have earned them truly legendary status.

In 2012, the Manufacture Zenith is further enriching this major collection by unveiling the El Primero Chronomaster Open Grande Date Moon & Sunphase model in two new rose gold and steel versions. In addition to the chronograph which, like all El Primero movements, measures 1/10ths of a second, Calibre 4047 also indicates the hours, minutes, small seconds at 9 o'clock, large date at 2 o'clock – by means of two concentric discs – as well as displaying the moon and sunphases at 6 o'clock. The latter is a useful and poetic complication specific to Zenith, portrayed by an indication reflecting the double path of the sun and moon by means of two superimposed discs. The transparent upper disc with two polished metallic moons performs one rotation every 59 days, while the lower day/night disc makes one full turn every 24 hours. The El Primero Calibre 4047 comprises 332 parts serving to display this range of useful complications.

THE OPEN DIAL, A ZENITH SIGNATURE
    To display these celestial movements at 6 o'clock and the days passing through the large date aperture at 2 o'clock, Zenith has created a dial with a sunburst motif radiating from the centre (silver-toned or black according to the versions), along with circular satin-brushed chapter-ring zone and counter zone at 3 o'clock, while the sun and moon aperture at 6 o'clock is sunburst guilloché-worked on its lower section. Representing the emblematic signature of the Manufacture Zenith, the dial opening onto the beating heart of the movement reveals the regulating organ and its high-frequency vibrations, as well as the meticulous finishing adorning the entirety of this exceptional movement. Available in rose gold or steel versions with a silver-toned or black dial, the El Primero Chronomaster Open Grande Date Moon & Sunphase features a generous 45 mm-diameter case equipped with round vintage-style pushbuttons and water-resistant to 50 metres. It is fitted with a brown (for the rose gold version) or black (steel version) alligator leather strap with matching metal buckle.

TECHNICAL DATA

MOVEMENT
    El Primero 4047, automatic
    Calibre : 13½ ``` (Diameter: 30.50 mm)
    Thickness : 9.05 mm
    Components : 332
    Jewels : 41
    Frequency : 36,000 VpH – (5 Hz)
    Power reserve : min. 50 hours
    Finishings : Oscillating weight with "Côtes de Genève" pattern.

FUNCTIONS
    Hours and minutes in the centre
    Small seconds hand at 9 o'clock
    Chronograph :
    – Central seconds hand
    – 30-minute counter at 3 o'clock
    Grande Date at 2 o'clock
    Moon & Sunphase indicator at 6 o'clock

BOÎTIER, CADRAN ET AIGUILLES
    Material : 18-carat rose gold or stainless steel
    Diameter: 45 mm
    Diameter opening: 38.5 mm
    Crystal : Box-shaped sapphire crystal with anti-reflection treatment on both sides
    Case-back: Transparent sapphire crystal
    Water-resistance: 5 ATM
    Dial: Silver or black sunray
    Hour-markers: Rhodium with SuperLuminova SLN C1 faceted (with or without gold plating)
    Hands: Rhodium with SuperLuminova SLN C1 faceted (with or without gold plating)

STRAP & BUCKLES
    Alligator leather strap with protective rubber lining
    brown alligator leather
    Ref. : 27.00.2218.713
    black alligator leather
    Ref. : 27.00.2218.714

Buckles
    Ref. : 27.17.0018.008
    18-carat rose gold pin buckle
    Ref. : 27.03.0138.940
    Stainless steel
    Ref. : 27.17.003.940
    18-carat rose gold triple folding clasp (optional)

Holy cow, it has a moonphase and a day/night indicator.... that's awesome

Master

Love it. Roll on Euromillions... :roll:

Grand Master

Not sure about these new open-heart-surgery classics; a bit too much like "Operation" for me. Leave that to the Defy range (which is not just the Nataf-era horrors, Defys - or Defies - have been around for donkey's years).

The watches they're based on are lovely, and I'd certainly have one of those.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman

Stunning looking watches.

Journeyman

I want one of those

Master

The sort of watch Zenith does best.

Craftsman

Love zenith, but just not the "open" versions