closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Sports Car with Sensible MPG

Re: Best Sports Car with Sensible MPG

Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch
    Where are you?

That might make all the diffrence in the world, no point showing you decent UK cars if its going to cost and arm & a leg to get them out to you? Also as you say certain cars are just not worth while in certain style of roads.

Also are you looking for a left hooker?
    Right hand drive - I'm only on the Isle of Man - so easy enough getting over on a ferry. Or roads aren't very good though - only the course itself is well looked after and budget cuts will no doubt see them getting worse before they get better.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    OK, after picking up a diesel estate last week, I'd like to consider what options are out there for a reasonably economic - but true sports car option.

I have been meaning to replace my Boxster S for a little while and it has come down to that time where I decide to either keep it and run it into the ground - or replace it for something just as fun, or something as close to the perfect compromise as possible.

Head says a sorted MX5 - I have said I'll have one as my old timers weekend drive one day when I'm older ;)

I've had a VX220 Turbo - but the compromise in width (couldn't fit next to anyone else too well) and getting in and out was a little faff - well easy enough after a lot of practice - but like the Elise, quite bad on rough roads.

So - are there any leftfield choices? Costs of fuel and running to be taken into account. I keep coming back to the Boxster and maybe a newer version is the answer - or maybe a very basic 2.7 stripped down Cayman - with 17inch wheels instead of those terrible 19inchers everyone seems to through on them!

As always it comes down to costs and I'd like to keep costs down but there is no set budget .for the right car - but in order to keep choices in a sensible range, lets say between £10k-£25k
    Just coming back to your original post. As a previous MX-5 owner and Boxster S owner and now 997 owner :D I think I get some of what you might be thinking /feeling. All of those cars are great and will put a big grin on your face, I've driven a Cayman too and they're lovely as well.......If you really want to change from what you have (which is probably already the right car for you as I suspect you had these same thoughts when you bought it) then maybe just a newer Boxster is the answer......the Cayman will give you that new/different feel but I would imagine where you are you might just miss that chance to get the roof down.....we all secretly enjoy a bit of that :D .

Nothing wrong with a good looking girl. going topless ;)

Craftsman

997 Carrera S for me, should just slip into the top end of the budget

Quote Originally Posted by Brewer999
    997 Carrera S for me, should just slip into the top end of the budget
    I could blow the budget to make many other options fit - but I think the main thing is living with and running and being happy to fill it up. I'm luck to get 200 miles from a tank in the S and I don't drive it too hard all the time - although with it's new brakes and new tyres all round - maybe it will be driven very hard this year :D - or just swapped for another Porsche - hmmm.

The Cayman is still winning my vote and surprisingly it is the 2.7 that is appealing - I think I would eck a little more out of it and push it harder and in doing so, have more fun...

I have always had a Honda CBR600 - I've owned quite a few of them and I have owned much faster bikes too - but I could ride the 600 harder and A-B faster than I can ride my fireblade, so I am hoping to emulate a similar thing with the next car choice.

I think you're making a mature choice too.
    I've gone from a breathed on Carrera 4s to a 2,7 Cayman....difference is you can rev it out through the gears without doing ludicrous speeds- makes for a very satisfying drive indeed and still easily betters 30mpg
    mine has sports seats, PASM, short throw gear lever and 19's, also sports exhaust
    grip and handling as good or better than anything else I've ever driven, possible exception being an Alitalia Integrale about 25 yrs ago. :twisted:
    Ultimately not as nice to own as a 911 maybe (but had a few, so not bothered now)but certainly easier and more rewarding to drive on normal roads. Think of it as a filleting knife not a meat cleaver, and you'll get the idea.
    GOAT

Nice analogy.

I am trying to be sensible and at the same time appease my wants. Yes I could do without it and may yet do that - but I think the Cayman is about the best value used sports car out there - for a lot less than £20k and some closer to £10k - with super high miles - or repaired, you can get yourself one of the most heavily praised cars of the present era. I would like to think at around £15k it would never lose more than £10k and over 5-10 years should be fairly cheap motoring - all relative - but certainly cheaper than buying a new Golf or Mondeo etc.!

Sounds like TVRs have already been ruled out but I'll have another crack anyway ;). My Cerbera gets high 20's on a run and really isn't quite as unreliable as all the scare stories, I would always want a daily runner next to one having said all that :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch
    Where are you?

That might make all the diffrence in the world, no point showing you decent UK cars if its going to cost and arm & a leg to get them out to you? Also as you say certain cars are just not worth while in certain style of roads.

Also are you looking for a left hooker?
    Right hand drive - I'm only on the Isle of Man - so easy enough getting over on a ferry. Or roads aren't very good though - only the course itself is well looked after and budget cuts will no doubt see them getting worse before they get better.
    Cayman driven around the roads of the IOM....Yes Please :!:
    I understand now why you want 17" wheels and not low profile 19" etc

Master

Mk3 2.0l sport mx5 once sorted can surprise many exotic cars on a track day.
    Prices from £6K up so unbelievable good value :shock:
    Mate Rodders has won max5 (race series) for last couple of yrs & set mine up for me.
    Don't expect an mx5 on the forecourt to handle anything like it can when setup right.
    16 of us are at Donington on Sun11th March ( race cars & road going) feel free to join us :wink:

Master

Best Sports Car with Sensible MPG

Hmm probably down to the z coupe Si and the Cayman in 2.7 small wheels form, for some more lower speed fun - is the BMW heavy? Power seems similar between them.

Pros/Cons?
    Z4 Coupe Si feels heavy enough to feel safe, without being dulled down, whilst not as sharp as the S2000 or the MX5 it is more than responsive enough to balance on the throttle easily mid bend. Easy to drive by the ham fisted but does reward the talented.

1st to 2nd is a common Z4 niggle as not always smooth (especially vs the Honda which is just the best gearbox ever). Having had MX5s mk1, 2.5 & 3, whilst fun they really do not compare as the lack of grunt removes a large element of it for me. I personally would never consider them as similar options.

On a piston heads run recently, both cars were similarly matched. Would say hand on heart that at points I struggled to keep up with the Porsche, but at times was caught behind it - horses for courses perhaps. The Porsche is certainly more expensive, but less exclusive. Get the right colour Z4 and interior colour and you can be extremely rare. There were only c130 of my colour produced & apparently only 2 of the colour with the interior leather colour. Depends if you like that sort of thing!

Ditch the Runflats and the ride is much much better, the wife is still on Runflats & the difference is chalk & cheese.

For me, something that is this quick and manages 30mpg combined day in day out is fantastic & would buy another tomorrow.

Matt

Very interesting - had a z4 coupe go past me today, which looked very nice. There are a few over here but then there are only a few Cayman's over there that I have noticed, probably the same number of 458's!!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by S Works
    MX5 interesting.
    Boxster - very very similar to mine.
    Elise - too small
    Z4M - too much - but it's possible.

I still think Cayman and I'm not sure I'll be happy until I have one - anyway the kids are getting too big to fit in a 911 :lol:

Master

I had a bright metallic orange Elise for a long time! best car ive ever owned but as for getting in and out!!!! only took it out in the sun in the end then i could just step in whilst the roof was off!
    Stick to your porky mate!!

Quote Originally Posted by subchris
    I had a bright metallic orange Elise for a long time! best car ive ever owned but as for getting in and out!!!! only took it out in the sun in the end then i could just step in whilst the roof was off!
    Stick to your porky mate!!
    I was the same with the VXT.

Yep, I may stick with the car - but I need to own a car for 12 months before taking it to Oz - so I either buy another one I plan to keep for a while now, or go with no car and I fancy the Caymn as a good long term ownership prospect for a bit of fun.

Nowhere near as bad as Clarkson said, quick, comfortable, a decent bit of cargo space and surprisingly reasonable mpg. And the other bonus is there aren't many around. Left hookers only though but you soon get used to that.

"The new Z06 arrived as a 2006 model in the third quarter of 2005. It has a 7.0 L version of the small block engine codenamed LS7. At 427.6 cubic inches, the Z06 was the largest small block ever offered from General Motors. Because of the Corvette's former use of 427 cubic-inch big blocks in the late-1960s and early 1970s, the LS7's size was rounded down to 427 cubic inches. Official output is 505 bhp (377 kW) and has a 0-60 mph (97 km/h) time of 3.8 seconds and a top speed of 198 mph (319 km/h)."

I just read your last post about going to OZ, although why anybody would go there I'm not sure, scratch the Vette you can't take a LHD in.

With care - and you may sometimes want to drive with care :) - my Mk3 MX5 2.0 Sport Tech delivers 44 mpg. I've never qute managed 45mpg. Remarkable given what else you get from an MX%.

or maybe a very basic 2.7 stripped down Cayman - with 17inch wheels instead of those terrible 19inchers everyone seems to through on them!
    I know of an 05 cayman S for sale for £17.5k on another forum I'm on....I hadn't realised they had dropped so far. Can't tell you if thats a good price or not but if its any interest let me know.

I like the idea of Spring and Summer in the UK and then Spring and Summer in Oz :lol: If it works out it will be fantastic - we will see.

I would estimate that I'd get around 10mpg around here in the Vette. I probably get about 18mpg in the Boxster on average, sometimes a little higher and sometimes, when it is just used for laps, or just the short commute, a little less :cry:

At least the Audi is saying that I should get 600 miles out of the tank, which is the same size as the Porsche.

45mpg in an MX5 - I would probably only be getting around 25mpg ish, from my estimates - it is all short journeys here - longest would be a day doing a couple of laps and that is only 37.73 miles for each

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73
    or maybe a very basic 2.7 stripped down Cayman - with 17inch wheels instead of those terrible 19inchers everyone seems to through on them!
    I know of an 05 cayman S for sale for £17.5k on another forum I'm on....I hadn't realised they had dropped so far. Can't tell you if thats a good price or not but if its any interest let me know.
    Possibly - but I would prefer the 2.7 for some insane reason.

45mpg in an MX5 - I would probably only be getting around 25mpg ish, from my estimates - it is all short journeys here - longest would be a day doing a couple of laps and that is only 37.73 miles for each
    Yes. I get 38mpg on a longish journey with a bit of fun mixed in. As you say, less on short runs. Still seems pretty good to me. And better than the MkII 1.8.

I'm only just getting that kind of mileage from a 1.9 TDI engine - I must change my shoes for some lighter slippers ;)

Master

I'm only just getting that kind of mileage from a 1.9 TDI engine - I must change my shoes for some lighter slippers ;)

My thoughts exactly :lol:

Nice suggestions, but distinctly mainstream ( like the Corvette through).

How about a Morgan? No? Then a Triking - the Norfolk equivalent of the tree wheeler. No? Blackjack Zero, modern version of the Morgan 3, with a guzzi engine. No? How about a Grinnall Scorpion, K1200s engine, looks great...

Well ive just bought a TT V6 - it will do 30mpg if driven nicely - al the kit o it - awesome performance too.
    Change out of erm.... ready £5500.......
    Ive had Boxster, 911 - all the BMWs etc - the Audi is a very nice car - and no money - i do like the Exige though..... but couldnt be bothered getting in and out of it with my back