closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Off Topic - Canon 20D - Too Old ?

Craftsman

Off Topic - Canon 20D - Too Old ?

I know there are a lot of camera enthusiasts on here so I thought I'd ask a question. I have a Canon 20D which is now 6 years old and has served me well. I'm thinking of upgrading to a Canon 60D but know that my 20D is now worth peanuts. Is it worth the money to upgrade to the 60D or should I stick with my 20D which is still in really good condition ?

Master

Re: Off Topic - Canon 20D - Too Old ?

Go half way and get a 40D which can be picked up for not much. The sensor is fantastic, it retains the magnesium-alloy case that was lost in the 50D and onwards, it has LiveView and is a superb camera at about half the cost of a 60D.

Keep the 20D as a back-up or be prepared to get a fraction of what you paid for it.

If you want the latest and greatest then my advice would be to WAIT if you are able!

Canon are in the process of upgrading their cameras with the latest DIGIC 5 processor. So far they have only been seen in the latest compact models, but it's usually around February that Canon announce their new models for April retail, I would expect to see quite a few new DSLRs this year. :bom:

Each DIGIC upgrade appears to bring real world improvements.

Craftsman

Off Topic - Canon 20D - Too Old ?

The 20D is getting on, but we still use them. To be honest, I'd rather have L series glass than a newer body.

Craftsman

Thanks everyone for the advice, given me more to think about.

Definitely agree that the magnesium alloy body of the 20D is a much better build than the 60D.

The only downside of waiting for the new models is that the 60D equivalent is going to be over £1K. I also have a G12 which I see is about to be replaced.

Maybe a 40D is a good compromise as an interim measure. Maybe I should sell some watches....

Thanks again

Marc.

Why not get more use out of your current kit for one more year?
    It's just a matter of time...

I'd say keep the 20D as a backup. Put a broad zoom on it and tuck it in the bottom of your bag just in case.

Craftsman

I think the question you need to ask is: why are you upgrading?

Do you want the latest toy?
    Do you need a greater pixel count? (are you actually printing stuff THAt big?)
    Is the 20D failing?
    Do you need features from the later / latest models?

Master

I still use a 20D. Bought a decent lens, the 17-55 2.8, and a nifty 50 and the quality of the pictures to me is fine. Where I would like to change is for higher ISO whilst still retaining decent quality but to try and get around this a little a decent flash is helping.

Cheers,
    Steve

Craftsman

Nice lens that. 70-200 2.8 IS, and the 24-70 are just brilliant on it.

Craftsman

I think part of the reason is that technology seems to have moved on a great deal.

There's the issue of pixel count (I'd like to blow up some pictures beyond A3), screen size, the ability use live action screen shooting, colour rendering (although I guess this can be corrected in photoshop anyway), ability to shoot at low light levels (although the 20D is not bad). My perception is that the overall image quality will be much better, even using the standard kit lenses, although I could be wrong.

I'm not sure if these reasons justify the expense, but they are my main reasons. There's nothing wrong with the functioning of the camera so the "business case" to my other half can't be that it's broken and not worth repairing !

I went on a photographic course a couple of month's ago (with Frui) and every time he talked of "old" cameras he pointed at mine and indicated that its of the cusp of going beyond its useful life. I guess this has led me down the path of getting a new body.

Thomas Reid

I have a Pentax K10D, which also is about 6 years old. I'll replace it with another DSLR when it breaks and can't be fixed. :)

Quote Originally Posted by marcbe
    I think part of the reason is that technology seems to have moved on a great deal.

There's the issue of pixel count (I'd like to blow up some pictures beyond A3), screen size, the ability use live action screen shooting, colour rendering (although I guess this can be corrected in photoshop anyway), ability to shoot at low light levels (although the 20D is not bad). My perception is that the overall image quality will be much better, even using the standard kit lenses, although I could be wrong.

I'm not sure if these reasons justify the expense, but they are my main reasons. There's nothing wrong with the functioning of the camera so the "business case" to my other half can't be that it's broken and not worth repairing !

I went on a photographic course a couple of month's ago (with Frui) and every time he talked of "old" cameras he pointed at mine and indicated that its of the cusp of going beyond its useful life. I guess this has led me down the path of getting a new body.
    Your wanting to make prints larger than A3 seems a good reason to get something with a larger sensor, or, perhaps, even something with the sensor being the same size, but the pixels being smaller and more numerous. (There comes a point of diminishing returns with the latter.) That it is suspect from simply being old make me smile. The camera of mine that I like shooting best is pretty close to a "birth year" camera, and I'm 55. :) Admittedly, the lens is from a more recent vintage, probably from the mid '70s.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Craftsman

Trot down to the local camera shop and try afew things, using your memory card. :)

Craftsman

Now that's a good idea....I should have thought of that !

Blog Entries

Remember, good optics, are good optics. No matter how old they are.

Craftsman

Now that's a good idea....I should have thought of that !
    Take your 20D, grab an L (24-70 or 24-105), and take a few shots. The try a 60D, and take a few shots... then do that with the Ls... then put your lens on the 60D.

Any camera shop worth its salt will let you try out a few things, as they'll be sniffing for a sale.

Quote Originally Posted by thattallchap
    Remember, good optics, are good optics. No mater how old they are.
    This.