closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Road Bike Help

Road Bike Help

I currently use a MTB with slicks for work but would like to get a road bike for the summer, mainly for leisure but also the occasional commute when its going to be dry and sunny.

I have looked at a couple options but really do not have much of a idea of what the road components are like.

I want to buy once and buy right the first time.

What are other cyclists opinions on these bikes

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 7b0s6p3679

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 730c009320

Re: Road Bike Help

These are both good makes so you probably won't go too far wrong. The frame geometries are different so that may well make a difference to the feel on the road. I had a quick look and the components look a bit better on the Cannondale but they are a mix.

I suggest you try and ride each one if you can?

My other thoughts are to find a local shop (with a sale) and maybe buy from them if they can give you a good deal as they can size it properly etc.

Just my 2p worth...

A

Grand Master

Both perfectly adequate for your needs but if you can go up from the base Allez 16 to the Sport Double and gain 2 extra gears and a more durable, slightly smoother groupset as found on the Tiagra Sora mix, the Shimano 2300 stuff is ok for the money but if you can get a little upgrade as it will perform better and last longer
    RIAC

I agree with AlistairD. On a road bike, fit is so much more important. Find a local shop and get them to assess the frame fit. Don't assume that the same size will be the same fit across different makes, or even different frames by the same manufacturer.
    Enjoy and prepare to be both amazed and baffled. Road bikes are so fast.

Grand Master

In terms of fit I personally dont get hung up over it, I am 6ft and can ride 54, 56, 58, or 60 cm bikes however 56 & 58 fit best but with a little fettling a 56 / 58 can be set up identically with saddle and stem tweaks

Chose the one you like the look of..........itll make you want to ride it more
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    Both perfectly adequate for your needs but if you can go up from the base Allez 16 to the Sport Double and gain 2 extra gears and a more durable, slightly smoother groupset as found on the Tiagra Sora mix, the Shimano 2300 stuff is ok for the money but if you can get a little upgrade as it will perform better and last longer
    Monkey, I am struggling to find the sport double?

Master

I bought the Allez 16 last year for much the same reason as you. I have a second higher spec road bike now, but still enjoy the Allez a lot. I would not spend any more than that for a first road bike.

Pete

Well January is over and the bike was purchased, eventually after some great advice from 100thMonkey over the phone. I settled on a Specialized Allez.

It has not been out much but the difference between a MTB and road bike is amazing.

Power feels like it is going straight into the bike, which makes riding feel easier than the tredder.

Steering is responsive to say the least and it will take a while to get used to the twitchy front end.

Ride is harder but will get used to that.

Ride time managed to knock about 5 minutes off my work run

The biggest adjusment was getting used to cleats and SPDs. Set up was fairly easy for the cleats given the amount of float in the pedals.

I also changed the pedals on my MTB so I was used to clipping in and out on that as well. the biggest difference I noticed was seat post height as soon as I raised my seat to the correct height the slight knee twinge I could feel vanished.

Dry cold weather in Edinburgh at the moment is perfect for getting out.

Grand Master

Good choice albeit I am biased, needless to say that right now is the most miserable time of the year for cyclists but once the frost clears and the sun shines its heaven on earth, nothing beats it, I loved every one of the 6509 miles I rode last year roll on the +degree weather
    RIAC

Ask yourself what you will really use it for. If its mainly commuting and fairly flat have you considered a single speed? Honestly great fun fixed or otherwise, theres something very rewarding about it.