closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Drive - The movie

Drive - The movie

Has anyone else watched the film Drive?

Watched it for the first time last night and was very impressed! Solid acting, style, great score, gritty, and to the point. A bit of a throw back to the 80's really.

Re: Drive - The movie

I loved it. It is definitely the best film I've seen in 2011. As you said, it's stylish and the uber violence certainly takes you by surprise. I even bought the soundtrack which I rarely do.

Master

Great stuff, thoroughly enjoyed it :thumbright:

I hadn't heard of the Gosling fella' before but caught another one of his films recently called 'Half Nelson' which I also thoroughly enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by doubledee
    I loved it. It is definitely the best film I've seen in 2011. As you said, it's stylish and the uber violence certainly takes you by surprise. I even bought the soundtrack which I rarely do.
    I'd agree with you there, undoubtedly the best film of this year.

Journeyman

Another vote for it being the best film of 2011.

Really enjoyable from start to finish.

Loved the soundtrack too.

I've just got the soundtrack myself. Can't stop listening to the first three songs (the ones featured in the movie)

Think I might have to watch the fim again tomorrow...

Yup! Just to be clear this is the Drive you're referring to:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780504/

Saw this a couple of months back. Excellent movie with a fantastic soundtrack. Not the best movie I've seen but still very good and worth grabbing if you've not seen it yet.

Ryan Gosling has turned into an excellent actor.

Grand Master

Out of curiosity Im gonna have to watch this, I listened to a preview of the songs but without the movie they are a bit off! Really looking forward to seeing it now along with Th Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
    RIAC

My wife and Daughter have seen it, they thought it was very good, so no doubt I will see it on dvd soon.

Great film!!!

Some interesting bits of info:
    - the sound track was written specifically for the film, i.e. its not 80's music but was written by Cliff Martinez as a tribute to 80's music (he also worked on "Traffic" and "Solaris" and anyone who has seen "Contagion" might have noticed a few familiar notes there also.)
    - the Driver's car... Chevy Malibu...
    - the jacket was custom made (partly as a tribute to 1950's Korean club jackets)
    - nice one for the WISes... the watch the Driver wears is a Patek Philippe.

Apparently, a handful were specially made by Patek Philippe for the film. That is, Patek made a run of special watches for the film based on the 5196G Calatrava. It was decided that using the real thing risked damage or destruction during filming. In Sallis's book on which the film is based, the Driver has a beautiful plain white watch which was left to him by his father. The book is worth a look, too.

For me, a cult film which pays homage to a classic American film genre AND goes way beyond anything that genre has been able to produce...!

For anyone that like the direction (Nicolas Winding Refn) I can recommend his earlier "Pusher" trilogy.

-flugzeit

Grand Master

I noticed that 80% of the soundtrack was written by Martinez speciafically for the film I assume
    RIAC

Master

Thought it was ok, probably seems better because it's been a pretty rubbish year at the cinema!

Is silence the new acting?

Master

the trailer looks promising.....

cars.................check
    car chases........check
    hot chick..........check
    violence............check

:)

Quote Originally Posted by Moose
    Yup! Just to be clear this is the Drive you're referring to:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780504/

Saw this a couple of months back. Excellent movie with a fantastic soundtrack. Not the best movie I've seen but still very good and worth grabbing if you've not seen it yet.
    That's the one

I want that watch too! Are there any homages about? I also read about them being custom made for the film.

Another interesting fact is that Hugh Jackman was supposed to be the lead roll, before they took Gosling on instead.

Saw it at the Watershed art house cinema place in Bristol and really, really enjoyed it and I don't think it's just because it's the first, and still only, cinema visit I've managed since the little fella came along 19 months ago.

I wouldn't go by the trailer as it kind of lumps all of the action and fast paced sequences into one. The film isn't really like that at all. The chase sequences were good but there weren't enough of them (anyone notice that he changes gear in reverse?!). Maybe in Drive 2....

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by doubledee
    I wouldn't go by the trailer as it kind of lumps all of the action and fast paced sequences into one. The film isn't really like that at all. The chase sequences were good but there weren't enough of them (anyone notice that he changes gear in reverse?!). Maybe in Drive 2....
    I agree!

Didn't notice the reverse gear changes though.. But will certanly pay attention to this next time..

Certainly one of my fav films of 2011, a very cool retroness to it, very Miami Vice :)

Drive - The movie

Top film, brutal scene in the elevator tho.

Quote Originally Posted by martyn3000
    I want that watch too! Are there any homages about?
    Well, if you take the classic white dial hand-winding dress watch with small seconds sub-dial then the world is full of them. If you mean specifically a rip-off of the Calatrava then again, there are both plenty of homages (i.e. models made by reputable watchmakers which are inspired by various of the Calatrava models) as well as reps out there. To be honest, I can understand why someone might wear a rep watch but in the case of a Patek Philippe Calatrava, frankly it think it would be a pretty silly thing to do.

In my view, one of nicest versions of a dress watch that has many of the qualities of the 5196G is the Nomos Zürich (no date):

All you need to do then is match it up with a white satin jacket with a big yellow scorpion embroided on to it... :wink:

-flugzeit

Blog Entries

Yep brilliant movie & the sound track is also great :)

Quote Originally Posted by flugzeit
    I want that watch too! Are there any homages about?
    Well, if you take the classic white dial hand-winding dress watch with small seconds sub-dial then the world is full of them. If you mean specifically a rip-off of the Calatrava then again, there are both plenty of homages (i.e. models made by reputable watchmakers which are inspired by various of the Calatrava models) as well as reps out there. To be honest, I can understand why someone might wear a rep watch but in the case of a Patek Philippe Calatrava, frankly it think it would be a pretty silly thing to do.

In my view, one of nicest versions of a dress watch that has many of the qualities of the 5196G is the Nomos Zürich (no date):

All you need to do then is match it up with a white satin jacket with a big yellow scorpion embroided on to it... :wink:

-flugzeit
    That's a fine looking watch, pretty pricey though. I'm going to keep a look out for a cheaper white dialed dress watch.

I've already got some driving gloves on order :lol: Don't think I could go as far as the scorpion jacket.

Craftsman

great film and outstanding soundtrack..

Craftsman

A great film for sure - but is it a "one watch wonder" ?

That's a fine looking watch, pretty pricey though. I'm going to keep a look out for a cheaper white dialed dress watch.
    I'm not sure. I love the Nomos and I think it punches way above its weight (inc. its price)... I'm currently having a look at one. :wink:

If you want something a bit more "lookey-likey" then what about this (link)?

-flugzeit

Quote Originally Posted by flugzeit
    Great film!!!

Some interesting bits of info:
    - the sound track was written specifically for the film, i.e. its not 80's music but was written by Cliff Martinez as a tribute to 80's music (he also worked on "Traffic" and "Solaris" and anyone who has seen "Contagion" might have noticed a few familiar notes there also.)
    - the Driver's car... Chevy Malibu...
    - the jacket was custom made (partly as a tribute to 1950's Korean club jackets)
    - nice one for the WISes... the watch the Driver wears is a Patek Philippe.

Apparently, a handful were specially made by Patek Philippe for the film. That is, Patek made a run of special watches for the film based on the 5196G Calatrava. It was decided that using the real thing risked damage or destruction during filming. In Sallis's book on which the film is based, the Driver has a beautiful plain white watch which was left to him by his father. The book is worth a look, too.

For me, a cult film which pays homage to a classic American film genre AND goes way beyond anything that genre has been able to produce...!

For anyone that like the direction (Nicolas Winding Refn) I can recommend his earlier "Pusher" trilogy.

-flugzeit

Great info....didn't know any of that apart from the watch being a special order Patek....Certainly one if my favorite films of the year!!!

Master

I loved it for all the reasons listed. The soundtrack was v cool also.

Ryan Gosling is very good, he reminds me a lot of my late uncle to look at and his mannerisms, which is pretty spooky. He's also in the Ides of March, which was very good.

Haven't seen the film yet but does this make sense?
    Apparently, a handful were specially made by Patek Philippe for the film. That is, Patek made a run of special watches for the film based on the 5196G Calatrava. It was decided that using the real thing risked damage or destruction during filming.
    Wouldn't special order Pateks cost much more than an off the shelf model? The 'risking damage or destruction' doesn't hold water as it would all be written off or insured and I'm sure that the cost of the watches paled into insignificance compared to the cost of making the film ($13m)? Also as they came from Patek, they would be loaned or sold at trade price (no-where near shop price). It is more likely that Patek wanted the publicity but not the association with a current model, hence the production of one-offs that were clearly Pateks but not a specific model.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock
    Haven't seen the film yet but does this make sense?
    Apparently, a handful were specially made by Patek Philippe for the film. That is, Patek made a run of special watches for the film based on the 5196G Calatrava. It was decided that using the real thing risked damage or destruction during filming.
    Wouldn't special order Pateks cost much more than an off the shelf model? The 'risking damage or destruction' doesn't hold water as it would all be written off or insured and I'm sure that the cost of the watches paled into insignificance compared to the cost of making the film ($13m)? Also as they came from Patek, they would be loaned or sold at trade price (no-where near shop price). It is more likely that Patek wanted the publicity but not the association with a current model, hence the production of one-offs that were clearly Pateks but not a specific model.
    Its a reasonable question to raise. I'm going off an interview with the Director, where he stated the idea to approach Patek apparently came from Ryan Gosling.

Your logic whereby "Patek wanted the publicity but not the association with a current model" admittedly makes more sense than the director's own comments. But rather than your suggestion, my best guess is that the situation was something in between: the 5196 Calatrava is available in white gold, yellow gold, platinum, and rose gold... even at trade price it would make no sense to use a model like this (and frankly as they used 6 or 8 watches for the film that would still put an unnecessarily big hole in a film budget) so possibly they made a special order model based on the 5196 which (I'm guessing) was probably stainless steel and, as this is not a currently available model, Patek are not associating the model itself with the film, but rather just taking the general 'brand recognition' (which seems to be working... at least round here... :lol: ).

Again, this is all just speculation on my part.

-flugzeit

I saw a photo of Ryan Gosling in a another one of his latest films "The Ides Of March" he looked like he was wearing a Patek in this as well, can anyone confirm this? I've not seen the film, so haven't had a proper look at it.

I watched the film last night. Not what I was expecting. I thought there would be long and dramatic car chases but they were short and uninteresting. One scene where he rams the limo over the bank onto the beach to kill SamCrow. When the camera pans back to show the limo crushed side and no damage to his car whatsoever, not even a broken headlight . The main man gosling hardly spoke which I assume is to add to his menacing character.
    The violence was a little unnecessary in most cases but again that's how its meant to be.
    The watch I did notice with its very loud tick that I assumed was overlaid. I thought it was a vintage Seiko but eye sight isn't that good.
    I bought the film because of this forum. It was ok to good for me. The other film you recommended was Hanna.
    Haven't watched that as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by scrog10
    I watched the film last night. Not what I was expecting. I thought there would be long and dramatic car chases but they were short and uninteresting. One scene where he rams the limo over the bank onto the beach to kill SamCrow. When the camera pans back to show the limo crushed side and no damage to his car whatsoever, not even a broken headlight . The main man gosling hardly spoke which I assume is to add to his menacing character.
    The violence was a little unnecessary in most cases but again that's how its meant to be.
    The watch I did notice with its very loud tick that I assumed was overlaid. I thought it was a vintage Seiko but eye sight isn't that good.
    I bought the film because of this forum. It was ok to good for me. The other film you recommended was Hanna.
    If you thought the violence was unnecessary, don't watch "Kill List" (filmed in Sheffield).

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

The Drive watch
    http://www.itsnotforgirls.com/ryan-gosl ... ppe-watch/

It states here that it is a replica

The other film you recommended was Hanna.
    Hanna is very good - somewhere between Leon, Borne and Le Femme Nikita. Definitely worth watching.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by andrew e
    A great film for sure - but is it a "one watch wonder" ?
    On reflection it may well be, but he soundtracks grown on me even more, so I ordered it a couple of days ago (in old school hard copy format of course).

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    If you thought the violence was unnecessary, don't watch "Kill List" (filmed in Sheffield).

Eddie
    I liked "Kill list" but it was a bit weird in the end, still good film.

Im looking forward to it.

Excellent film and soundtrack. Goes on my fave list.

Journeyman

Also have the soundtrack, just playing it while driving along makes you instantly 10% cooler.

To undo the 10% coolness gain you could buy the jacket. Bit like having a Ferrari keyfob on your Fiat keys.

http://www.shop-steady.com/Drive-Men...p/drive005.htm

Grand Master

It was decent, but i think it could have been a lot better if they'd worked on the script and the ending a little more, the ending was a little contrived to me, as in reality, the way he was in the film, it wasn't leading up to such a simple thing.

The lift scene was good, you got the meaning out of it, basically he knew what was coming, he knew that once she saw his violent side she'd no longer see him the same way and it was like a goodbye kiss, it was all done on a budget, made cool, but as stated, i think they just went a little too cool and missed a chance of making a classic.

During my weekly visit to Morrisons I bought the film on blu ray. Gonna watch it tonight :)

Well I enjoyed it and I liked Ryan Gosslings brooding performance, just wished there was more driving (chase scenes).