closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How to Cook Like Heston

How to Cook Like Heston

For all budding cooks this program is fantastic.

Heston really does show us how to cook food properly with a little science as well.

Worth a watch if you cook at home at all, from poaching a egg to making burgers

It's on 4OD

Craftsman

Re: How to Cook Like Heston

Agree - its been a good series so far.

The missus pointed out that his method for the perfect boiled egg is exactly the same as Delia's. I guess one got there through trial and error, and the other used science.

It is the science element that intrigues me, he made a brine for soaking a chicken in overnight as well before slow roasting.

Some of this may be lengthy but I always know what I am making that week for dinner so it would not trouble me doing a little extra prep.

I had some stock in the freezer which I let melt as per his method through a suitable cloth, it is wonderful and so tasty

I have no doubt he is a very talented cook - I just wish he'd stick to that and stop trying to become a minor celebrity on these quiz / chat shows and the like.....he simply doesnt cut it so should stick to what he's good at.

Quote Originally Posted by Podie
    Agree - its been a good series so far.

The missus pointed out that his method for the perfect boiled egg is exactly the same as Delia's. I guess one got there through trial and error, and the other used science.
    He's young enough - and she's been around long enough - for him to have learned it from her.
    I suspect I'd come away from a Delia meal well-satisfied and but I might come away from a Heston meal enlightened. Is that what I want from food?

Craftsman

I served up his version of Roast chicken yesteday where you soak it in a salt brine overnight and subsequently cook on a low heat and I have to say........ Superb..

Can't stand him he must have far too much time on his hands to come up with his recipes or he's secretly laughing at us.

Quote Originally Posted by Podie
    I guess one got there through trial and error, and the other used science.
    :D was the science joke intentional?

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73
    I have no doubt he is a very talented cook - I just wish he'd stick to that and stop trying to become a minor celebrity on these quiz / chat shows and the like.....he simply doesnt cut it so should stick to what he's good at.
    TV pays a lot more!!!

I'm a big fan of Heston, the Fat Duck is too much for me, but the Hinds Head is superb, plus we ate at the Little Chef he transformed which was excellent.
    His new series is superb, just makes you want to get into the kitchen

Craftsman

It's an excellent series and I've tried a lot of the recipes. The homemade chocolate truffles went down particularly well at a recent dinner party.

Heston is a fantastic chef and an inspiration not only to his viewers but to his peers as well. His creations take over 3 years before they make it to the menu. He is currently developing dishes that will appear on his menu in 2018!

How to Cook Like Heston

Top notch program, can't wait to cook the roast chicken recipe.

interesting approach to cooking tho totally pointless and not needed imo , he seems to be trying to find the most complicated and expensive way to do the most simple things. people with too much money and little sense will flock to him i guess for the novelty factor of trying his beef thats been raised on caviar and cristal champagne then enderised by dragging it behind a ferrari for 200 miles in barbados and cooked on a 24kt barbecue whist lathering it with urine from a dodo :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by pugster
    interesting approach to cooking tho totally pointless and not needed imo , he seems to be trying to find the most complicated and expensive way to do the most simple things. people with too much money and little sense will flock to him i guess for the novelty factor of trying his beef thats been raised on caviar and cristal champagne then enderised by dragging it behind a ferrari for 200 miles in barbados and cooked on a 24kt barbecue whist lathering it with urine from a dodo :mrgreen:
    Clearly you have not watched this program as it strips most cooking back to basics, such as poaching a egg or making a steak

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce
    Clearly you have not watched this program as it strips most cooking back to basics, such as poaching a egg or making a steak
    ive seen some of his other program tho admit ive not seen this series on the stength of those , be assured however that i can poach an egg and cook a steak that are both edible and dont waste time or money. :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce
    ive seen some of his other program tho admit ive not seen this series on the stength of those , be assured however that i can poach an egg and cook a steak that are both edible and dont waste time or money. :mrgreen:
    Point taken but I thought I could poach a egg and cook a steak but his back to basics approach with no added equipment except a probe for temp control proved to me that all my swirling of water and vinegar was just nonsense.

The cooking of a steak explained with a bit of basic science involves flipping the meat every 15 to 20 seconds.

i do agree that the science parts are interesting , tho each top chefs have different idea of what is best , imo heston has picked up from the work /food done at elbulli and taken it 'that bit further', i guess im too much of a stickler for the oldies like rick stein , for value added fun food progs i'll stick to the old keith floyd re runs where watching him pissed up was more entertaining than eating his food :)

This is not necessary true. The same could be said for a lot of things, look at our mutual interest for example; watches. Someone could argue the fact; why does someone need to pay what they consider to be an extortionate sum for a watch? (When they are all designed to essentially do the same basic function. This is just an example statement!)

Just becuase you wouldn't be willing to pay the sum that Heston's restaurant would charge, it doesn't mean that is over priced.

Value=What the consumer is willing to pay

I like some of his basic tips and methods of doing things, most you can do without a lot of the pomp and ceremony.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker
    This is not necessary true. The same could be said for a lot of things, look at our mutual interest for example; watches. Someone could argue the fact; why does someone need to pay what they consider to be an extortionate sum for a watch? (When they are all designed to essentially do the same basic function. This is just an example statement!)

Just becuase you wouldn't be willing to pay the sum that Heston's restaurant would charge, it doesn't mean that is over priced.

Exactly, im not sure a watch forum is the place you can argue that point really.

I have eaten at the Fat Duck and The Hinds Head, i would however take the Hinds Head over the Fat Duck any time, sit downstairs by fire on a winters sunday lunch, and dont forget the scotch egg!

I'd suggest Dinner Restaurant at the Manderine Oriental. Absolutely fantastic menu!

Quote Originally Posted by gibbon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticker

Exactly, im not sure a watch forum is the place you can argue that point really.

I have eaten at the Fat Duck and The Hinds Head, i would however take the Hinds Head over the Fat Duck any time, sit downstairs by fire on a winters sunday lunch, and dont forget the scotch egg!
    i guess i bring it down to what i myself can and cant do at the moment, i cant build from scratch a complicated mechanical movement , i can however poach and egg and cook just about anything i want with little difficulty (im from the years that had to do home economics at school :) ) .
    as i said before its also nothing new , the approach to cooking he uses was done by elbulli long ago , that said and as already stated, if someone is willing to pay good luck to him for marketing it.

Really enjoying the series so far. Just wish my missus could cook :(
    She's more like Heston Bloomingawful!