closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Three PloProf Dials and a newbie

Three PloProf Dials and a newbie

While I've always seen it written that there are two different PloProf dials, I've come to the conclusion that there are historically three PloProf dials. They are most easily differentiated by the order and content of the lower dial text.

I'm calling this one Type I because I've only seen two and they were both pretty beat up. In my pointy head, that means it's likely the oldest style. Whether because of age or a different paint, these dials appear very dark blue. These Type I dials may be the reason for the rumoured black dial PP, which I previously put down to inadequate lighting in the photo.

There are three that I've seen, all pretty knackered, very matte, bubbled and dark blue - almost black. I'm wondering if Omega noted paint problems on the Type I which precipitated the change to the Type II dials? Another observation based on the ageing of the few dials that I've seen: I'm wondering if the Type I dial used tritium and the others luminova? When was luminova first used? The reason I say this is because of the way the lume on the Type I dials seems to almost smear or melt away - typical for old tritium.

I'm calling this the Type II Dial. It is the dial on a mate's PloProf and the dial on my new arrival. The Type II is more blue. I've also noticed that the type of the "Seamaster" on the lower dial is much heavier than that of the "Professional" or the "600".

And this would be the Type III dial, the one we are all most familiar with. It has the depth rating in meters and feet. The blue of the dial seems mid-way between the Type I and Type II.

Of course there are also two different bezels (straight "1"/thin triangle/flat "3" and serifed "1"/fat triangle/round "3") and at least two different case styles (front "C" and front "U"). I'm working on getting good photos of all these variants.

I may be nutty and I expect you guys to call me on it if you think I am. I haven't covered the Viet fakes, but I'm going to have to re-look the little info I have on them in light of my new hypothesis.

Finally, another shot of the FNG

Journeyman

Here's my "Type 1" Ploprof Dial

Had my "Type 1 Dial " Ploprof a while..

Love it, regardless of the Dial Type !

It's a Grey Blue color...

Have a great Day..

Dale Arnold
    Spokane, Wa.