closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Field testing of Eddies equipment

Craftsman

Field testing of Eddies equipment

I spent last week on a army reserve/national guard exercise. On my wrist was Eddies Precista Commander, and Eddies flash light came in handy a couple of times. The watch is excellent, light weight and the new Rhino/NATO-strap was very comfy and reliable. Watches like the Seiko SKX007 provide good readability in no light circumstances, but preform badly in bad light conditions. The H3/Traser lume give a very good all-round legibility.

Me kneeling with the radio.

I also have to recite this "conversation":

Morning, second day in the field having slept in the above barn.
    Me: "This stiffness I'm feeling, wonder if its rigor mortis."
    One of the group leaders: "The way you smell it propobaly is!"

:D

rgds,
    /joakim

Grand Master

Re: Field testing of Eddies equipment

:lol:

Quote Originally Posted by jo.st
    I spent last week on a army reserve/national guard exercise. On my wrist was Eddies Precista Commander, and Eddies flash light came in handy a couple of times. The watch is excellent, light weight and the new Rhino/NATO-strap was very comfy and reliable. Watches like the Seiko SKX007 provide good readability in no light circumstances, but preform badly in bad light conditions. The H3/Traser lume give a very good all-round legibility.
    Hi Joakim,

I have always thought that the S-L (like on the Seikos) has advantages over tritium vials as one chnages from light to darkness (immediate kick-in) and in low-light situations (when the vials haven't kicked in yet) ... you seem to suggest that even in low-light situations the vials are preferable?
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master
    Slept in the barn I knew i joined the wrong bloody mob a Barn would have been like sleeping at the Ritz :roll: :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck
    Slept in the barn I knew i joined the wrong bloody mob a Barn would have been like sleeping at the Ritz :roll: :lol: :lol:
    One of the reasons I went into the Air Force. Even enlisted men get AC in there rooms and three hot meals (four if you want late night food). :P

that camo sucks against dried hay, though... :P

Craftsman

Re: Field testing of Eddies equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    :lol:

Hi Joakim,

I have always thought that the S-L (like on the Seikos) has advantages over tritium vials as one chnages from light to darkness (immediate kick-in) and in low-light situations (when the vials haven't kicked in yet) ... you seem to suggest that even in low-light situations the vials are preferable?
    IMHE (in my humble experience):
    Not at this time of year but mostly, dusk is for two hours. By the time its dark S-L is sound asleep, but the contrast between white hands and black dial are somewhat legible (My experience is limited to the PRS3 and Seiko SKX007). The main advantage of the vials are the fact that the don't have the same need of beeing "charged". Most of the time the watch is hidden under a sleeve, and thus not beeing charged. Hence disadvantage for S-L watches.

rgds,
    /joakim

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck
    Could not find any particular good spot to put up a tent. Asked a local farmer if he had something we could use for night quarters. He was most helpful.

For those who are intrested: the knife i used was a ordinary Mora 2000.

rgds,
    /joakim

Journeyman
    Nice knife Joakim, but what type of rifle are you using?
    Regards, Jon.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Eccles
    Regards, Jon.
    A modified version of the H&K G3A3, produced under license in Sweden by Husqvarna. The iron sights have been removed and replaced with a Aimpoint (red-dot-)sight. Google for AK4B for further pictures and info.

rgds,
    /joakim

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eccles
    Regards, Jon.
    A modified version of the H&K G3A3, produced under license in Sweden by Husqvarna. The iron sights have been removed and replaced with a Aimpoint (red-dot-)sight. Google for AK4B for further pictures and info.

rgds,
    /joakim
    :shock: Still using the 7.62x51 NATO cartridge?

Quite unusual, though sensible, especially given the prominence of wooded areas in Sweden, I guess.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Journeyman
    Thanks Joakim, when do you expect to get the CGA5?
    Regards, Jon.

Craftsman
    To answer both Crusader and Eccles:

Yes, the Army Reserve/Nat. Guard/Home Guard is still using the AK4 (G3) with 7.62x51. There are enormous amounts of AK4's and 7.62 left over from closed down depots for mobilized units. So the surplus goes to my mob... But as Crusader indicates, and as for what I have experienced I trust the 7.62 to be the better choise.

I don't expect Army Reserve to get the AK5 (aka CGA5) with 5.56 within a forseable future. However some hope that the Rapid Reaction Companies/Platoons within the Army Reserve will be issued AK5's.

"God willing and the Logistic Corps permitting."

rgds,
    /joakim

The only Husqvarna I every used was a very fine off-road motorbike :)
    Interesting stuff, thanks (thats why I was in the air force too :))

"Hole in the ground! We used to dream of living in a hole in the ground, you were lucky!"

Grand Master
    But as Crusader indicates, and as for what I have experienced I trust the 7.62 to be the better choise.

I don't expect Army Reserve to get the AK5 (aka CGA5) with 5.56 within a forseable future. However some hope that the Rapid Reaction Companies/Platoons within the Army Reserve will be issued AK5's.
    IIRC, the Australians deployed in East Timor are bringing back one or two 7.62x51 weapons er squad as they are fining out that the penetrating power of the .223 rounds is hugely degraded by e.g. foliage.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Grand Master
    I thought one needed ones lady friend to field test ones equipment!!! :shock: :lol:
    I wont be filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, I am not a number, I am a free man, my life is my own!!!
    Be seeing you
    Toodle pip
    Griff.

hi joakim,

good to see a fellow squaddie on the this, here is a pic of me from a couple of years ago when i was in the sniper section.

L96A1 cracking good rifle with a SCHMIDT & BENDER 6 X 42.

before i made the desicion to transfer to the Royal Engineers!!!

i got fed up running up hills

Grand Master
    Picture taken from the wrong side, Davie ... What Watch? :roll: :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    Picture taken from the wrong side, Davie ... What Watch? :roll: :wink:
    Crusader,

Even if the picture would have been taken from the other side, the watch will not show. When using a bipod, or other rest, the left hand is under the stock. This puts your left hand (and watch) between, and slightly below, the right arm and your chest.

rgds
    /joakim

joakim

cheers for the reply couldnt have put it better, i would probably have been wearing either my TSAR or the marathon navigator which i use as my field watch.