closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last night, I watched...

Last night, I watched...

Judging by how well the Best Film of 2011 thread is going, I thought it'd be worth creating a new topic about what people are watching currently, Films or TV shows. Reviews, recomendations, all welcome!

Me, I watched 2 episodes each of 2 new TV shows recently aired, House Of Lies and Alcatraz...

House of Lies (with Don Cheedle!) is quick, witty and very fast paced, loving it so far.

Alcatraz, has a very JJ Abrams/Lost feel to it, each episode seems to bring more questions and less answers. I'll reserve judgement so far, but it seems pretty good.

Tonight, I'm hoping to watch Warhorse...

Master

Re: Last night, I watched...

I've just started watching 'The Killing' on DVD; it's the Danish murder mystery that was shown on the BBC a couple of years ago.

I'm on episode 5 of 20, but it's absolutely brilliant so far.

Well, due to a poorly boy, I didn't make it to the cinema for Warhorse - instead I watched Real Steel at home.

I'm a firm believer that one can never have too much robot-on-robot violence, and thus, Real Steel fits the bill nicely.

Loosely played as an estranged father/son bonding type film I comfortably ignored the weepy side of it and got down to enjoyed what is essentially Rocky, but with robots!

The CGI is very impressive, the fights are sublime, Jackman is watchable and Evangeline Lilly is ALWAYS watchable. If you want a serious film, don't bother, if you want a fun film with robot boxing, watch it!

Craftsman

I had to endure 'One Born Every Minute' although there were some great comedy moments :D

Watched last night:
    Storage Wars
    Pawn Stars
    Family Guy

Then MW3 for an hour or two!

Quote Originally Posted by taffy mark
    I had to endure 'One Born Every Minute'
    Thats why I got her a TV for the bedroom :D

Journeyman

I'm watching Suits and Stella at the moment and enjoying both.

Quote Originally Posted by mark1980

I've not heard of Stella, but I keep hearing good things about Suits, I think I'll add it to my queue...

Master

Last night I watched a very old (in TV terms) Midsommer Murders, followed by a Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes; most of the current stuff (Sky in particular) is pretty dire. Day off yesterday though, so during the day I watched the only good recent America drama on DVD-Sons of Anarchy.

Not last night, but Tuesday night I watched a few episodes of Homeland. It's taken a while to get me going but I'm now fully into it.

Looking forward to watching The Descendants this weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by Dibergio
    Not last night, but Tuesday night I watched a few episodes of Homeland. It's taken a while to get me going but I'm now fully into it.
    Homeland was without doubt the best series of 2011, it only gets better!

Craftsman

Really enjoy Homeland, but favourite of the year has to be Person of Interest.

Craftsman

enjoyed two episodes of my Sopranos complete box set last night. still on series 1 so plenty to get through

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mark996
    I've just started watching 'The Killing' on DVD; it's the Danish murder mystery that was shown on the BBC a couple of years ago.

I'm on episode 5 of 20, but it's absolutely brilliant so far.
    I fininshed watching Series 1 a couple of weeks ago and me and my wife got through the whole 10 hours of Series 2 over the weekend finishing on Monday night. IMHO Series 1 gets a little bogged down in the middle, but picks up toward the end. Series 2 was 'can't stop watching' stuff, even though I missed 'the' jumper early on.

Mark - There's a thread in G&D someway back that I found, but DON'T look at it as it contains spoilers. :) One of, if not the, best thing I've watched for ages - Series 3 being filmed now apparently, I can't wait for another dose of Lund.

Last night, I watched..... Portillo in a train again, love it. Then later 'Masterchef', not enjoying this series as much as the last....

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by mark1980

Been watching Suits - pretty good so far !

Mark

Last night I watched News at Ten. I wouldn't recommend it - seemed a bit depressing....

Craftsman

Recommend Suits as well but watch the Pilot episode first to get a feeling for the characters. I just subscribed to Dave's site because it appears to be the only show they don't repeat 6 times a week !

Sons of Guns on Discovery Channel :bounce:

I managed to watch a pretty good film last night, called In Time - whereas I'm not particularly fond of Timberlake's acting prowess, what I found interesting was the plot.

Set in the future people don't age, they reach 25 and stay that way but are granted only a year to live, the only way to live longer is to earn it, time is quite litterally money. A coffee will cost you 3 minutes of your life, a bus journey, an hour. The rich, can live for 100's of years but the slums live day-to-day.

A good sci-fi plot and it was done very well. Worth a watch I would say.

Tonight I'll be watching the final 2 episodes of series 3 of Breaking Bad.
    Really looking forward to it and love the show.

I'll also aim to watch one of Moneyball, The Guard or Hanna at some point over the weekend (maybe Drive if I can find a good version to DL)

Watched Warrior last weekend and enjoyed it, even the Mrs did and she's not a great one for films.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalVilla
    Tonight I'll be watching the final 2 episodes of series 3 of Breaking Bad.
    Really looking forward to it and love the show.

I'll also aim to watch one of Moneyball, The Guard or Hanna at some point over the weekend (maybe Drive if I can find a good version to DL)

Watched Warrior last weekend and enjoyed it, even the Mrs did and she's not a great one for films.
    Breaking Bad is excellent, I'm yet to start S4...

Warrior is on my list to watch, hopefully this weekend. Hanna is great, I wasn't sure about The Guard, I watched it on many recomendations, but found the humour a bit too dry and dark. It wants to be In Bruges, but falls flat on every level IMO.

Last night, I watched...

Finishing the last two episodes of the killing II. Started the series a long time ago but left it for a bit and now getting back Into it. Love the black jumper!

Watched Eternal Law.
    A bit odd I know, but I really fancy that main lady with the blonde hair.
    No idea what her name is.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex247
    Sons of Guns on Discovery Channel :bounce:

Thanks for this, I watched Season 1 this weekend, very good!

Worst place to be a Binman, I did think this was going to be utter tosh, however before going to bed on a Sunday night before work it was pretty sobering to see how people live.

Master

watch 'this is england' on 4OD if you have a strong stomach, funny and shocking by turn.

also misfits (early episodes with the irish fella are funny)

The killing is supposed to be totally gripping too.

been on netflix for about 2 weeks and seen all there is too see I think!

Looking forward to watching The Descendants this weekend...
    Saw The Descendants last night. Would highly recommend. Glooney is great, the script has a solid emotional core whilst darkly funny in places. Very well observed, and avoided all the narrative choices I was hoping it would.

The dude Stu is a brilliant comic creation, somehow out 'Keanuing' any other surf dude.

Plus its great for Lost vista spotting.

Master

I watched a film I recorded earlier in the week on FX HD. It was called Paris Lockdown and was a recently made French thriller filled with some of the most sickeningly violent scenes I have seen on TV. Not easy watching but gripping nevertheless like a lot of French thrillers. Anyone else see it?

Three episodes of Homeland after only intending to watch one. Didn't see the twist and the double bluff coming! Really good show.

Also watched another TZ favourite on Sunday - Warrior. Really enjoyed it. Liked the narrative with the two brothers as opposed to the standard singular man story. Tom Hardy is a beast!

"He ripped the door off a tank!" 8)

The twists keep coming in Homeland, I really loved that show, I'm hoping season 2 holds up as well!!

I finally got around to watching War Horse - it was very well shot and tried very hard to tug on the heart strings, overall I found it quite enjoyable - not a masterpiece, but not a flop, good but not great!

:D

Quote Originally Posted by andyb190
    Recommend Suits as well but watch the Pilot episode first to get a feeling for the characters. I just subscribed to Dave's site because it appears to be the only show they don't repeat 6 times a week !

Another one watching suits here....Not ground breaking tv but very entertaining....

Master

......."This is Spinal Tap" on ITV4.

Though I'd seen loads of clips/bits over the years I'd never seen it from start to finish.

So funny- I nearly combusted, spontaneously :mrgreen:

Ides of March.

What with loving Gosling in Drive and Glooney in The Descendants this seemed like a natural progression. Good performances but it was a bit meh.

3/5

Quote Originally Posted by stiglet

Though I'd seen loads of clips/bits over the years I'd never seen it from start to finish.

I didn't see it this time but I always remember the Stonehenge stage song when the tiny henge model was lowered and the little guys were dancing around it. Very funny.

I don't get much time to watch telly these days, but when I do me and the missus are working our way through the box sets of How I Met Your Mother.

When we finish them we will move seemlessly to The Big Bang Theory.

And no, I'm not being rude, I'm too knackered at the moment for much more than a little comedy and bed... :D
    So clever my foot fell off.

Do ITV4 transmit in Dobly?

Oh yes - one of my all time favourites. :D :D :D

I would urge any TZ'er who has never seen it to do themselves a favour and watch it. The "Henge" and "Pods" scenes in particular still have the power to jeopardise my bodily function control...
    So clever my foot fell off.

Craftsman

just a 2 word review "sh*t sandwich"....probably the funniest film I have ever seen.

I opted for Hurt Locker on film4 last night.....

Journeyman

Just finished the first season of Suits, looking forward to it coming back.

As a few others mentioned, Homeland was great too.

Watched a doc on BBC Four called We Were Here last night too (recorded from Tues night), bit grim but excellent. It's on the Iplayer.

Spinal Tap is so quotable. I think my favourite is this: "It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black."

Rob Reiner really was in a purple patch as a director back then, with The Princess Bride and When Harry Met Sally also amongst my favourite films.

Craftsman

Love The Princess Bride.....top film and watched it again over Chrimbo :)

Banned

Dallas.

I watched episode 2 of Generation Kill, made by the Wire team...really enjoying it :D

I watched the season finale of the Big C and the first episode of the River enjoyed both

Rather quiet weekend so watched a fair bit:

Attack the Block - I don't know why it's taken me so long to watch. Very enjoyable and some subtle social commentary.

Battle Los Angeles - I'm a sucker for alien invasions. Not great, but not as bad as I had been led to believe.

Hanna - has got a fair amount of love on here I believe, and well it was ok. Nothing amazing. Also seemed a bit pointless, why did Hanna have to set that beacon off? Nobody was looking for them...

And I finished off Homeland, which was brilliant. It took me 3 months to watch the first 3 episodes, and then a week to watch the next 9. I assumed it would only be a one season effort, or at least a new mission, but season 2 is planned with a similar cast. Will be interesting to see how they can keep it going...

Seems like a good weekend's viewing!

I really enjoyed Attack the Block, a surprise hit for me. Hanna was also great, she activated the beacon because she wanted to experience the world, music, love, people...

Battle LA, I'm a sucker for invasion moveis too, terrible script, but pretty good pace and special effects, it was midly enjoyable.

Homeland was so good, I'm thoroughly looking forward to S2, best show of last year IMO.

Rather quiet weekend so watched a fair bit:

Attack the Block - I don't know why it's taken me so long to watch. Very enjoyable and some subtle social commentary.

Battle Los Angeles - I'm a sucker for alien invasions. Not great, but not as bad as I had been led to believe.

Hanna - has got a fair amount of love on here I believe, and well it was ok. Nothing amazing. Also seemed a bit pointless, why did Hanna have to set that beacon off? Nobody was looking for them...

And I finished off Homeland, which was brilliant. It took me 3 months to watch the first 3 episodes, and then a week to watch the next 9. I assumed it would only be a one season effort, or at least a new mission, but season 2 is planned with a similar cast. Will be interesting to see how they can keep it going...

Planet of the Apes, with Charlton Heston.

Top Gear - poor, poor show. Lost the magic some time ago despite the two decent previous efforts of the current series.

Hustle - had Sky+ a few, caught up with two last night and watching another now, will miss this show when it's gone.

Cinema at the weekend to see Muppet movie.

Fell asleep. :sleepy2:

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark
    Top Gear - poor, poor show. Lost the magic some time ago despite the two decent previous efforts of the current series.Hustle - had Sky+ a few, caught up with two last night and watching another now, will miss this show when it's gone.

Soooo true - even James May's review of the Panda was dull!!

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche