closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Daytona - still impossible to get hold of

Master

Rolex Daytona - still impossible to get hold of

I knew this watch was very hard to get before. But having been on various forums, I was getting the impression (a false impression it turns out) that these were easier to come by. I had read reports of various people getting the call, appearing on AD windows etcetc.

Well today I went through all the Rolex ADs listed on the website from Edinburgh to Dover and the average waiting list was around 6 years...

So these watches are still the super rare treasure...impossible to get at list.

Rant over

Craftsman

Re: Rolex Daytona - still impossible to get hold of

Rumors say that they all have some of those in their safes and lucky clients get those faster.

ive never seen a new 116520 in an AD window, people on ere say they are readilly available though now at rrp from AD,S ?
    CHEERS ANDY

what is the official RRP on these now? I've never seen one in a AD window either. Seen a fake on a fellows write tho!!!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bingbonger
    what is the official RRP on these now? I've never seen one in a AD window either. Seen a fake on a fellows write tho!!!
    = £7,490

There was a Daytona in the Window of Leslie Davis in Peterborough during the Christmas period. It was the gold white dial.

the two tone versions are quite common and easy to buy in most AD,S

There is a lot of talk about the Daytona at the moment. I can't say I've ever paid much attention to them but I'm sure I've seen some in jewellers windows around the UK.

For some reason, they've always struck me as a well off fat man's watch. Dunno why?! :D

Rolex Daytona - still impossible to get hold of

Wrong thread oops!

Master

I picked ups brand new sealed black dialed one up two weeks ago, its my 2nd in two years. The first I let some some one else buy form another forum for there anniversary as they ahd been waiting years. I had only been waiting 3 months, I then waited another 14 months. I am in two minds if I keep it as I am after a sub c and a explorer II.

Theres a BNIB white one on Gumtree for £8.5k :shock:

Master

I have seen better at £7.7K brand new and sealed on another site.

New style explorer 2 is on my list to own soon, I tried one over Christmas. Slightly off topic how come the explorer feels lighter and more delicate then my PO?

Master

Dealers do have them, just often dont admit to it. They like to reserve them for good clients. You would be amazed how many guys just ring dealers on the off chance.

The guys in Goldsmiths of Farnham have steel daytonas - I should know they sold me one but doesn't mean they will sell you one over the phone. I know of a dealer in Essex with one but he will only sell his rarer watches to people in local postcodes.

In fact since before the recession dealers have sold these to who ever they want and bollocks to the list:

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar
    Dealers do have them, just often dont admit to it. They like to reserve them for good clients. You would be amazed how many guys just ring dealers on the off chance.

The guys in Goldsmiths of Farnham have steel daytonas - I should know they sold me one but doesn't mean they will sell you one over the phone. I know of a dealer in Essex with one but he will only sell his rarer watches to people in local postcodes.

In fact since before the recession dealers have sold these to who ever they want and bollocks to the list:

My ex GF bought her S/S Daytona at Farnham but they have been told this week they are losing the Rolex brand.....and they haven't had a steel Daytona for 8 months now...................

Craftsman

Why buy new?

Check out the white one on Mike Wood's shop / website:

http://www.theoldwatchshop.com/

Quote Originally Posted by holmefield
    Why buy new?

Check out the white one on Mike Wood's shop / website:

http://www.theoldwatchshop.com/

Because it's 3 years old and not that much of a saving over new....assuming one can get a S/S Daytona at list from an AD.......

Master

The 116520 has became more available in the recent months.
    I have had calls for 3 of them in the past 6 months and the last time was a couple of months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W

My ex GF bought her S/S Daytona at Farnham but they have been told this week they are losing the Rolex brand.....and they haven't had a steel Daytona for 8 months now...................
    Interesting does this mean they may be open to negotiations on unsold stock? Or will Rolex simply take it back?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude

rip off/jokers....

Interesting does this mean they may be open negotiations on unsold stock? Or will Rolex simply take it back?

@ bingbonger

they have had their last Rolex delivery.....normal rules apply here....S/S Sports at list...anything Gold/Bi Colour and there is a deal to be done. They own the stock and it won't go back to Rolex after the loss.

Quote Originally Posted by esm
    I have had calls for 3 of them in the past 6 months and the last time was a couple of months ago.

Just out of interest how many of those offered did you buy then?

Master

None, because I already had one.
    All of them went to someone I knew who wanted one from an AD at MSRP.... :lol:

None, because I already had one.
    All of them went to someone I knew who wanted one from an AD at MSRP.... :lol:

Fair enough then............I'm always on the look out for one and will scoop it up if an AD has one and at list.....well, pre 2012 price increase that is....

Never seen them in the dealer windows and I'm guessing thats because they hold them for their high rollers.

I do have a brand new piece I took in px last week if anyone is interested. Its a white dial with all seals.

I've had a few before and always at retail, the longest I have ever had to wait was 12 months. It always amuses me on here because you get people saying they are easy to get hold of at retail from AD's but when anyone actually asks which one.... all you get is silence.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by shalako
    I've had a few before and always at retail, the longest I have ever had to wait was 12 months. It always amuses me on here because you get people saying they are easy to get hold of at retail from AD's but when anyone actually asks which one.... all you get is silence.
    Exactly. This watch is actually NOT at all easy to get, and talks of getting it easily are a myth. I called every single AD, and with some i have reasonable relationships, ie bought 2 rolexes from them in the past etc.

My ad offered me one last week. First one he had seen in 4 months

Master

It always amuses me on here because you get people saying they are easy to get hold of at retail from AD's but when anyone actually asks which one.... all you get is silence.
    that is quite true.
    from memory, mine was about a 4 months wait. i have actually forgotten about it until i got the call :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by M@tS@unders
    There was a Daytona in the Window of Leslie Davis in Peterborough during the Christmas period. It was the gold white dial.

It amazes me that Leslie Davis has retained it's status as a Rolex AD.....
    Most of the people you see walking around Peterborough look like they
    steal tractor diesel for a living or metal man hole covers.......
    actually, yeah, I bet Leslie Davis shift alot of gold Rolex......

This is probably because we might want another favour from the AD in future and don't want to risk landing him in trouble with clients who were on his 'list', if he has one... I did a ring around of independent ADs in smaller towns about six months ago and had a call back from one AD within a couple of weeks. Of course, it's just luck that he had one come in and was prepared to sell it to someone who wasn't a regular client - this isn't indicative of how easy they are to get hold of generally, but it did happen!

Craftsman

I could get your a Daytona for tomorrow morning if you wanted one.

Agreed.

Or you get "er, no sir...who told you we had them here as wish we did....?"

Pretty sure I saw a white one in Sheffield yesterday, so either they're just showing it off even though it's already taken, or someone pulled out of a deal.

Will have a look tomorrow and see if it's still there.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wrists
    This is probably because we might want another favour from the AD in future and don't want to risk landing him in trouble with clients who were on his 'list', if he has one... I did a ring around of independent ADs in smaller towns about six months ago and had a call back from one AD within a couple of weeks. Of course, it's just luck that he had one come in and was prepared to sell it to someone who wasn't a regular client - this isn't indicative of how easy they are to get hold of generally, but it did happen!

Understood, but since when should one buying a £7,500 watch, that is available to be sold, (and assuming the AD has gone down the waiting list and those on there can't/won't buy it when offered) consider it a "favour" to be sold a Daytona?!

We all understand it involves some luck but it's some of the urban myths spouted as fact (some of which posted by people here in this thread) that irritates a little maybe? Just a thought :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil
    Pretty sure I saw a white one in Sheffield yesterday, so either they're just showing it off even though it's already taken, or someone pulled out of a deal.

I called the 2 sheffield ADs, not available.

Understood, but since when should one buying a £7,500 watch, that is available to be sold, (and assuming the AD has gone down the waiting list and those on there can't/won't buy it when offered) consider it a "favour" to be sold a Daytona?!

We all understand it involves some luck but it's some of the urban myths spouted as fact (some of which posted by people here in this thread) that irritates a little maybe? Just a thought :)
    Agreed, but I'm talking from direct and recent experience. Not necessarily indicative of what would happen if I tried to do the same thing tomorrow, of course, but true nonetheless. Personally, I'm not a big fan of modern Rolexes and particularly the colossal recent inflation of their prices. This particular watch was for a friend who'd promised her husband one as a wedding gift - so it had to be brand new, ideally from a UK AD and bought to a tight deadline! I got mine six years ago from an AD for literally half the price. I sold it for a hefty profit and am not tempted by another at these prices, even though I know (again a fact, not urban myth) two ADs in the US who have them in the safe and will sell me one on my next trip there.

Master

Agreed, but I'm talking from direct and recent experience. Not necessarily indicative of what would happen if I tried to do the same thing tomorrow, of course, but true nonetheless. Personally, I'm not a big fan of modern Rolexes and particularly the colossal recent inflation of their prices. This particular watch was for a friend who'd promised her husband one as a wedding gift - so it had to be brand new, ideally from a UK AD and bought to a tight deadline! I got mine six years ago from an AD for literally half the price. I sold it for a hefty profit and am not tempted by another at these prices, even though I know (again a fact, not urban myth) two ADs in the US who have them in the safe and will sell me one on my next trip there.

Ok but what are the ADs trying to do? Garner customer loyalty?? Whats the difference to them to sell the daytona to a past customer to a new one? I understand if that customer is a loyal long time customer who always pays MSRP for all their watches...Anyhow, just seems silly.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix

But have you gone in to the store?

No dealer has ever admitted to me over the phone that they have a steel daytona, sub lv, green milly, gold OQ etc etc etc, go in to store and it can be very different.

No dealer has ever admitted to me over the phone that they have a steel daytona, sub lv, green milly, gold OQ etc etc etc, go in to store and it can be very different.

Really?

I know plenty of AD's who when asked the direct question have answered what they have in the shop/safe to sell or supply?

Perhaps you're talking to the wrong ones mate??

Master

They might have said that, they might he losing the franchise, but until they do I know for a fact that they are shifting plenty of hard to find steel sports watches that are not in the window.

Master

Really?

I know plenty of AD's who when asked the direct question have answered what they have in the shop/safe to sell or supply?

Never over the phone, but in person they open up. So many bloody chancers phone ADs on a daily basis. Having bought daytonas, millys, patek 5711a etc without ever being on a waiting list I think I've got a good success rate ;)

It was in Brown's in the city centre and it was in the window. Maybe it's just not available to cockney chancers over the phone :wink: :lol:

Master

There was one in the window of Peplows in Worcester yesterday. Can't remember which one as I was pointing out the Explorer I love to my 13 year old who's response was 'how much!".

Really?

Never over the phone, but in person they open up. So many bloody chancers phone ADs on a daily basis. Having bought daytonas, millys, patek 5711a etc without ever being on a waiting list I think I've got a good success rate ;)

Not sure what you mean by chancers here?

I would have thought it's a straight forward question and answer - "Hello, do you have a S/S Daytona available as I'd like to buy one today?" AD - "Sure, what is your credit card number and when would you like to collect it Sir/Madam?"

Simples :mrgreen:

Journeyman

Daytona is still the King here in Italy...

Master

Just to update what happened, I got a call on Sunday Morning from the AD I bought my Sub-c from that he got a black face in. So now I am a happy owner of the Daytona brand new :) This thing is a beauty...

Congrats!!
    Did you have the feeling that he called you because you are a regular?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mark020
    Congrats!!
    Did you have the feeling that he called you because you are a regular?
    Well I wouldn't say I was a regular, bought my sub-c from him on the 12/02/11 and that is the only watch I bought from him, but I did pester him a few times over the phone and email. for around 4 months.

Then coincidentally got a text message from him around 11am on the 12/02/12 saying he got a black face just in.

So I just went to the shop, had a nice chat about the watch industry and position of ADs in the future, over a cup of tea and came home :) Overall a very happy day.

But I almost cried when I opened the box, as this watch is stunning...I think I havn't felt like this over a watch ever, I guess all the hype and everything, its beautiful...