closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sea Dweller

Sea Dweller

Hi all
    I'm after a Rolex Sea Dweller. I think they are great watches and make a great investment. I have found one in the states for a good price but it's been given a custom matte finish and the hands have been swapped. This watch would be perfect but I'm guessing this WOULD NOT make a good investment?
    Any thoughts.....?

Re: Sea Dweller

Personally, I wouldn't buy a Rolex with any modifications. What might be your cup of tea is unlikely to appeal to someone else if you want to move it on and then you've problems stacking up if you want it servicing by Rolex.

D

Grand Master

The purer the better, more important is full providence, box, papers, and ideally original receipt to make it 100% complete, no major dings or gouges and youre good but if it hasnt then with a modification it will always raise a element of doubt
    RIAC

+1. The modded stuff is not everybody's cup of tea. Buy original.

Master

Avoid the Mods.
    Although it may be cheaper in the states, remember about customs tax which you may be caught with when shipping over
    Plenty of very good SDs on this forum from time to time so I'd keep a beady eye for one here

Grand Master

Just out of interest what sort of money is it and what does it come with?
    RIAC

Unless it is very cheap - I would avoid it.
    It's just a matter of time...

One of the things that makes the SD so appeciated is the simplicity and purity of it's original design. Start modding it in any way and it's a bit like painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa.

I'd avoid that one if I where you.

Banned

Investment and modifications are oxymorons.

Modifications will, by their nature, appeal to the modifier and a limited number of like minded people.

Investments are things that will increase in value. On the principles of supply and demand, by modification you severely limit demand to the point where it's unlikely you will realise a profit unless you buy very cheaply or get lucky on the sale.

Blog Entries

don't touch it, unless its super complete, and cheap enough that you can get it to Rolex for a full service and restoration - probably about a grands worth of work.

Sea Dweller

Thanks guys. Its up for just under $5000 which isn't exactly cheap! It does look good though. Matte finish, yacht master hands and a red seconds hand. It's got box and papers but I take everyone's point about it appealing to a limited market. Think I'll miss this one and continue the hunt.
    What is a reasonable price for a mint dweller with b+p? Also, which serial is the best?

You will find a few about for around £4k - just buy as good a model as you can.

I;ve seen the one you mention and tbh it looks all right, as far as mods go and should be easy to put back to standard. Add in the possible VAT and the price isn't great though.

Sea Dweller

I've done a bit of research and now undecided if I want a sd or sub...

Grand Master

You want a SD
    RIAC

Craftsman

... and a sub :D

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by anton863
    But the sub is 10 a penny
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by anton863
    & then you need to add multiple variants of each :twisted:

Craftsman

I personally wouldn't buy a custom Rolex simply because of the issue around resale. I think that the same rules don't necessarily apply to any other brands of watches. Strange eh?

Sea Dweller

I'm confused as to what I should be looking for.... Lug holes or no lug holes?

Craftsman

This is worth a look:

http://www.subgmt.com/en/vintage_rolex/ ... s-1983.php

Reputable dealer too.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by holmefield
    This is worth a look:

http://www.subgmt.com/en/vintage_rolex/ ... s-1983.php

Reputable dealer too.

No papers!
    RIAC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigsymo
    I'm confused as to what I should be looking for.... Lug holes or no lug holes?
    Isn't that up to your personal taste. What do you like :roll:

Sea Dweller

I want the newest sd or sub I can afford. I missed a great one in the sc recently. Hopefully another will come up soon.

Master

I want the newest sd or sub I can afford. I missed a great one in the sc recently. Hopefully another will come up soon.
    have you tried one ? i gather your a large bloke, i found them small

Blog Entries

So why are you worried about lug holes. Just look for the year of manufacture......easy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redmond
    Really, you must be massive :lol:

I'm 6ft5 and I had 2 dwellers. They fit my 15.5 stone frame perfectly

I keep an eye on Blowers website from time to time just as a 'Barometer' as to what is happening Rolex sports wise. Not been there for a month or two but it seems you can't get one on the cheap side of £4700 now. That's a steady climb. I know they will go a bit cheaper on here but the other interesting thing is they seem to be around £1300 pounds higher than an equivelent ND Sub now. It wasn't too long ago that the difference was around £1000.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by thattallchap
    Quote Originally Posted by redmond
    Really, you must be massive :lol:

I'm 6ft5 and I had 2 dwellers. They fit my 15.5 stone frame perfectly
    :lol:

Sea Dweller

Hi guys.
    Lots of good advise do far. All i want is the best watch for my money that will increase in value over the years. I'm not a big fella but like big watches - I'm wearing a new breitling seawolf as I write this.

I have decided that I prefer the look of the solid lugs so will look for a post 2006 watch.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.

My mate has a 2006 sd with everything. He wants £4000 if he decides to sell it. Seems that those lucky enough to already have a sd are reluctant to let them go.

Saw a very nice 2008 one in Burlington Arcade yesterday. Was £5,700 but could be bought for £5k i would wager.

Feel free to PM me if you want the details?

Cheers.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W

Saw a very nice 2008 one in Burlington Arcade yesterday. Was £5,700 but could be bought for £5k i would wager.

Cheers.
    :lol: have ever entered into negotiations with a shop in the Burlington Arcade :)

[quote=phil h]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Gareth-W":iqrt8d0s

Cheers.
    :lol: have ever entered into negotiations with a shop in the Burlington Arcade :)[/quote:iqrt8d0s]

As mentioned it was for sale at £5,700 and offered with no negotiation at all for £5,200 yesterday.

I negotiate for a living and if I was a buyer for this particular watch would expect to trim more off the price......and have done so before down Burlington (and Royal) Arcade.

Master
    Blog Entries

[quote=Gareth-W][quote="phil h":249csaij]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Gareth-W":249csaij

Cheers.
    :lol: have ever entered into negotiations with a shop in the Burlington Arcade :)[/quote:249csaij]

As mentioned it was for sale at £5,700 and offered with no negotiation at all for £5,200 yesterday.

I negotiate for a living and if I was a buyer for this particular watch would expect to trim more off the price......and have done so before down Burlington (and Royal) Arcade.[/quote:249csaij]

With repect, even at £5000, it's still over priced, there have been plenty of SDs sold on SC recently for less than £4k, there are 4 currently being advertised at Blowers for £4.5-4.75k with box, papers in one case recent service papers.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by phil h

With repect, even at £5000, it's still over priced, there have been plenty of SDs sold on SC recently for less than £4k, there are 4 currently being advertised at Blowers for £4.5-4.75k with box, papers in one case recent service papers.
    True, £5k is London prices but they now start at £4k used on here I imagine, its a piece that will be Red Sub League very soon
    RIAC

Blog Entries

I'm starting to feel like Chronomasters personal PR officer...

No affiliation at all, but Neil has a '93 Seadweller box and papers for £4,100. He's a stand up guy to deal with and I expect a discount may be offered...?

Maybe not for the OP who wants new as poss and no lug holes, but surely a trit dial SD like this is better than money in the bank? Nothing in life is risk free of course, but can't see anyone losing much on this in the next few years (IMHO obviously)?

Cheers,

Rob

[quote=phil h][quote="Gareth-W":38zcpwvq][quote="phil h":38zcpwvq]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Gareth-W":38zcpwvq

Cheers.
    :lol: have ever entered into negotiations with a shop in the Burlington Arcade :)[/quote:38zcpwvq]

I negotiate for a living and if I was a buyer for this particular watch would expect to trim more off the price......and have done so before down Burlington (and Royal) Arcade.[/quote:38zcpwvq]

With repect, even at £5000, it's still over priced, there have been plenty of SDs sold on SC recently for less than £4k, there are 4 currently being advertised at Blowers for £4.5-4.75k with box, papers in one case recent service papers.[/quote:38zcpwvq]

Agreed, at £5k it's strong (and I didn't say it wasn't) but negotiating down the Arcade is a) possible and b) to be encouraged :)

I would prefer to buy my Seadweller here as you highlighted.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h

True, £5k is London prices but they now start at £4k used on here I imagine, its a piece that will be Red Sub League very soon

Agreed. £4k (or perhaps just under that) seems to be where the market starts now. Can also concur that prices can only go North from where they are for the best ones.

Better buy mine sooner than later!!

Quote Originally Posted by AIDM
    I'm starting to feel like Chronomasters personal PR officer...

No affiliation at all, but Neil has a '93 Seadweller box and papers for £4,100. He's a stand up guy to deal with and I expect a discount may be offered...?

Maybe not for the OP who wants new as poss and no lug holes, but surely a trit dial SD like this is better than money in the bank? Nothing in life is risk free of course, but can't see anyone losing much on this in the next few years (IMHO obviously)?

Cheers,

Rob
    Neil's went on hold almost as soon as his site update was issued - I should know because I tried to buy it. I'd be surprised if that were no longer the case, particularly as he promised to get back to me should the sale fall through. (I've subsequently brought a newer alternative, so am only mentioning this by way of clarification.)

Blog Entries

Not surprised, it was a great price... :wink:

Perhaps that's the only (very minor) criticism of Neil, he can be slow to update the site, it's not showing as reserved or sold.

Sorry if I misled anyone.

Rob

Not surprised, it was a great price... :wink:

Perhaps that's the only (very minor) criticism of Neil, he can be slow to update the site, it's not showing as reserved or sold.

Sorry if I misled anyone.

Rob

and doesn't his site also state the price you see if the price you will pay??

Grand Master

The way the SD is going itll be £5k by the end of the year then hopefully itll settle down a bit
    RIAC

Blog Entries

Possibly, but I've negotiated a discount and a PX deal with Neil before. :wink:

Rob

Possibly, but I've negotiated a discount and a PX deal with Neil before. :wink:

Rob

Good for you, nothing wrong with a little friendly haggling :)

Journeyman

SD forever

Grand Master

Took me a while to 'get it' as my first one just left me empty, I thought the ghost train bracelet was awful, Ive worn it more so this last 2 years on a NATO and find it is becoming a real classic, knowing its no longer avaialble is part of the attraction, cant beat an antique
    RIAC

Sea Dweller

I'm going to thin my collection and get a SD ASAP before they reach crazy prices. Steelfish, Seawolf x2 and Abyss are off to find a new home!

Seems a bit drastic - complete Breitling collection on the block.

Sea Dweller

Well, I might keep the seawolfs as they're both brand new, but the steelfish and abyss are looking for new owners.