closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cars - too many to choose from - what to do?

Master

Cars - too many to choose from - what to do?

I currently run 2 cars:

Mazda MX-5 Mk3 1.8
    Fiat Qubo 1.3 diesel (mini-MPV)

Think about selling one or both, as I want something a bit faster. They are worth around £6.5k each, and I've got a bit extra to add if I need to - £10k fixed rate savings account maturing soon.
    I've considered a range of cars, some of which could replace both current cars, some of which would replace the Mazda:

BMW 330d estate
    Nissan 350z
    Alfa Brera 3.2 Q4
    Mazda MX-5 2.0 roadster
    Audi TT
    Golf R32

If I still lived "up country", I'd just go to a few dealers for test drives. Problem is, here in West Cornwall, all except the Mazda are rare. I'd need to travel to Somerset or beyond.

I only need 2 seats, but I need to have a car that can carry a couple of large plastic crates and a tool box - around 300 litres boot capacity. That's why I currently run 2 cars - one for boot space, one for fun. Running 2 cars is convenient, but I've got 2 lots of insurance, servicing, tax and MOTs to pay for.

Any suggestions?

Master

Re: Cars - too many to choose from - what to do?

R32 every time for me, practical, quick, fun, well built, amazing noise and decent economy on a long run.

I will be honest here and say I am biased as I have one....although due to the arrival of a new family member in the next month or so I will probably be forced to sell it which is going to be devastating :-(

Quote Originally Posted by warns74
    R32 every time for me, practical, quick, fun, well built, amazing noise and decent economy on a long run.

I will be honest here and say I am biased as I have one....although due to the arrival of a new family member in the next month or so I will probably be forced to sell it which is going to be devastating :-(
    I heard that it's difficult to stop at a traffic light in an R32, without some boy racer wanting to race you away from the lights.

Out of those the R32 - I wouldn't touch a 350z - can not stand them inside - fun for a short drive but a no as a possible purchase from me!
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman

Mark 4 R32 , the best of that list by a long way.

Banned

R32 everytime, looks great and shouldn't depreciate as much as the others if looked after.

The only disadvantage is what you've highlighted, the 'boy racer' image.

Wouldn't even consider the alfa or 350z.

BMW every time!!!

350z and TT I would avoid for boot space reasons. The Z in particular is a royal pain to get suitcases etc in so I would imagine it's a no-no for your work purposes.

I'm going to buck the trend and say R32 is okay... but once you cast the net wide to include hot hatches, there are many, many choices. Easily within reach is a nearly new Renaultsport Megane - there's a reason it wins hot hatch of the year every year (and came top in the autocar 'fun 50' or something. If you go for the cup (which everyone recommends) you get a safe, practical car with plenty of space for stuff / people yet with quite ridiculous talents.

There are lots of options - first I would decide if you want a coupe, hatch, estate, convertible, saloon... then narrow it down :)

Master

On the subject of the boy racer image, I personally don't agree. One of the things that attracted me to the R32 was the fact that other than a couple of exhaust pipes and small R32 badges it is a pretty subtle affair, even more so than the GTi in my opinion.

Grand Master

BMW but Preferably Petrol 325i or 330
    RIAC

Master

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    What he said! 330-335 petrol.
    BTW I run a
    mk3.5 mx5,
    e46 330D touring
    e36 328i touring.

Master

If I'm reading correctly you seem to be able to move to a single car and have up to £23k to spend. If that is correct and reading from your suggestions that some level of practicality is needed but you also want something that's a bit of fun... http://pistonheads.com/sales/3521845.htm
    Should also depreciate much less than a lot of your choices, percentage-wise at least.

Sensible head says Golf R32

Petrolhead says....

Just look at it - no contest!

Master

I'd go Brera but the single biggest failing there for me is the lack of pace. It is okay in real world power but not quite enough to set the world alight. I love Alfas but have avoided the Brera because it is not as fast as it looks.
    From your choice I have no idea, none really appeal so I am not much help. Grab a great version of something older imo. Don't know what though.

330d estate, or a 335 if the budget stretches.

I'd buy an Impreza, but what do I know! :bounce:

As you already have an MX-5 then you're clearly comfortable with your own sexuality and won't have an issue with silly comments from others..........so it has to be a Porsche Boxster.

I had a Mk2.5 MX-5 and loved it but wanted some more power too........so ended up with a 3.2l Boxster S. Had a great 2 years in it and sold it to a fellow TZ'er. Just load of fun and plenty of luggage space front and back too....here it is;

Master

As said the Z's boot isn't the best although your meant to be able to get two sets of golf clubs in it, a couple of overnight bags is a bit of a squeeze. And there thirsty.

Boxster would be a good bet if within budget, Honda s2000 also.

If you're keen on the R32 then i'd agree with others about considering other hot hatch models, latest Megane RS, Focus RS, Audi S3.

Scooby or evo if you want to drive fast & have some practicality, or maybe rs6 or rs4.

On the subject of bmw's my old neighbour has a 535d which he says shifts pretty well!!

I had a MK4 R32 in Pearl Blue, was a stunning car. The downside was the parts were expensive and it drinks petrol like water but those negatives were quickly forgotten when I turned the engine on.

The MK5 is supposed to be more refined and not as hardcore.

Anything German for me, Japanese cars are fast, but seem like they're made on Blue Peter, American cars are too big & bulk, and you'd need an HP agreement to run it ....and French cars, well, their French, don't bother!!

In fact, if you sold both cars you could probably stretch to something like a 996 carrera 4s, or for.something cheaper and more practical, e46 m3 or e39 m5.

So many options out there!! Depends what is most important to you?

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3
    If I'm reading correctly you seem to be able to move to a single car and have up to £23k to spend. If that is correct and reading from your suggestions that some level of practicality is needed but you also want something that's a bit of fun... http://pistonheads.com/sales/3521845.htm
    Should also depreciate much less than a lot of your choices, percentage-wise at least.
    This man speaks sense.

Craftsman

On my 4th Alfa, if you've not owned one then you will never understand why! R32 is nice (well for the week you have before you get broken into for the keys) be different get the Alfa, bet you'd love it

Good call Cliff :)

Failing this - go for the same brand but the 3.0 TDI Quattro - will see the Brerra of any day of the week and be slight;ly more durable and reliable.

I would rather spend my money on scratch cards than buy an Alfa.......... :wink:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

A Lotus Elise and a trailer?

That or a VX220 Turbo and a trailer ;)

Quote Originally Posted by amh82
    That or a VX220 Turbo and a trailer ;)
    Lateral thinking! I like it.

Grand Master

Agree with chris's comment re. Alpha; test drove one once and it felt like it would fall to pieces. Definitely not for me.

Sounds like you don`t really know what you want. However, if you're going for 1 car and need reasonable practicality plus performance, I`d go for something with a 3.0 diesel in it. Audi or Beemer are the obvious choice.

However, if you enjoy a fun car, why not keep the MX5? OK, they're not particularly fast but that's not the point. Sell it and you just might wish you hadn`t.

Personally, I wouldn`t go for an R32....it's only VW Golf after all, with loads of power that you probably don`t need. I`d go for the latest spec GTi, makes far more sense, or even the most powerful diesel version. Ask yourself whether you want a VW Golf or not.

Only answer is to try a few, we've all got different opinions on here. I run a Jag XF but I know it wouldn`t suit everyone.

Paul

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jkb89
    330d estate, or a 335 if the budget stretches.

I'd buy an Impreza, but what do I know! :bounce:
    Almost got through P1 without an Impreza being mentioned but thats where i'd go.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clockworks
    BMW 330d estate
    Nissan 350z
    Alfa Brera 3.2 Q4
    Mazda MX-5 2.0 roadster
    Audi TT
    Golf R32

Any suggestions?
    Not sure why a 330d estate is on the list if you only need 2 seats. 325 or 320 coupe would do, or even the folding hard-topped cabrio (although you lose a lot of boot space, but still have the back seats if you need them).

BMW e46 M3.

Plenty of room, plenty of vroom, looks the part and all for about £10k. 8)

I'm going to go against the grain and say "keep running two cars".

Every winter i consider getting something that's fast, funky but reliable and sensible......and every time i come to the conclusion that i should keep my VX220 and my "shed" primera.

I've looked at R32's, 350zs and the like and to my mind they fall between two stools - they aren't as much fun as the mx5 but they aren't as sensible as the Fiat.

Yes running two cars costs more, but buying a new car is going to cost you X a month just to buy the thing. Or you could get something a bit more hardcore for your weekend ragtop?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    I agree,i owned a 330 m sport petrol.it was a lovely car. Quick enough, good looking. Would definitely buy another

Mark

Master

The OP's first post say's it all.

Mazda if any of the others keep breaking down then you need to travel to miles to get it repaired

V

Master

Sorry, but two/three cars is the only way to have all the bases covered! ;) All cars are compromised in some way or another and if you drive one car all the time you soon become used to it and get bored. I really do enjoy driving a mundane Volvo everyday and then on a good day opening the garage door and firing up the TVR! It's an event!

As someone has previously suggested, try upgrading the MX5 to something a bit more hardcore - BMW Z4M, VX220/Elise, TVR Tamora/Chimaera/Tuscan etc...

Or if you're set on replacing both you could always consider Vauxhall Monaros or something like a GT Mustang - something a bit different.

Other thing to bear in mind is that the only real additional of running two cars is insurance, and even then that's not that bad on multicar deals (my VX220 costs me £210 a year).

Yes it's technically more on tax but if you start to look at RS4s, 350z, R32's etc then you're paying £400 a year in tax for them which is more than it would be to tax the mazda and fiat.

Master

If you only need 2 seats and a 300l boot, then I wouldn't be looking at estate cars.

How about somethig a little more fun like the Z4 Coupe or Z4M Coupe which have good boot space (the former has a better boot than the latter):

How about a 130i M sport space quick great engine and quite good on fuel
    I am biased I have one or even a 135i :) both better than the golf lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master

Very Very Nice Wheels, great photo
    RIAC

R32. That's a slam-dunk given your requirements!

I'm running a mkV GTI with a revo stage 1 remap, and its the best car I have ever owned. faster than a r32 and does 30mpg all day. The only thing it's missing is noise, but then I have a CSL tucked away for that.

Coming late to the party but with that list its really a no brainer, if you've a heart beat it has to be the Alfa, one of the most beautiful cars for the money ever produced.

Master

A few more options to consider - thanks guys.

Running 2 cars is probably more sensible. I've taken the big depreciation hit on the Fiat. From now on, it won't lose that much each year. Cheap to run, and it's actually fun to drive, if lacking in power for overtaking. There are 2 local Fiat dealers, and most of the parts are common to Peugeot/Citroen or Vauxhall.

Every time I take the MX-5 out for a drive, I come back with a smile on my face. Not sure a hot hatch or coupe would do that for me. It would be nice to have a bit more power for safer overtaking.

I love the Brera for it's looks. The 350z is a lot of performance for the money. The 330d is the sensible choice if I ran just one car. I couldn't consider an Audi saloon because of the image problems - rather be called a hairdresser than a cock. Similar problem with the Boxster.

Maybe I'll just swap the MX-5 for a 2 litre version.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    Good call Cliff :)

Failing this - go for the same brand but the 3.0 TDI Quattro - will see the Brerra of any day of the week and be slight;ly more durable and reliable.

I would rather spend my money on scratch cards than buy an Alfa.......... :wink:
    That RS4 looks like great value for money.

I have just bought a saloon S4 - and it is great. not just because of the power/torque/quattro handling, but because its pretty reasonable on fuel and servicing too. And a bit more stealthy than an R32...

R32 from me, lots of fun in family 4 door hatchback

I own a mark 5 GTi and love it, once i'm ready for a change later in the year it will be for an R32

Master

Swap your 1.8 mx5 for the 2.0.
    Any of the cars mentioned will feel like tanks in comparison.

Master

Came very close to getting an R32, but the stupidly low trade-in price for my MX-5, and a chat with my brother, has caused a change of heart.
    Seems that my 5 has a trade value of under £4k at this time of year, despite dealers selling them for £7k. Needless to say, I'll wait until the weather improves before trying again.

I mentioned to my brother what cars I was considering, and he asked me why I didn't just get the car that I really wanted - a 911. Or a Mustang - what he'd buy in my position. I've got a savings account maturing mid-April, so I'll have £10k, plus the Mazda, plus whatever I can save in the next 2 months, to spend on a 911.
    I'll keep the Fiat Qubo as a daily driver, so my second car will only do around 3-4000 miles a year.

Is a 911 a sensible choice? What model should I be looking at for £15-18K? I know that maintenance costs will be high, so I'll be looking to offset that against something with relatively low depreciation.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by clockworks
    Came very close to getting an R32, but the stupidly low trade-in price for my MX-5, and a chat with my brother, has caused a change of heart.
    Seems that my 5 has a trade value of under £4k at this time of year, despite dealers selling them for £7k. Needless to say, I'll wait until the weather improves before trying again.

I mentioned to my brother what cars I was considering, and he asked me why I didn't just get the car that I really wanted - a 911. Or a Mustang - what he'd buy in my position. I've got a savings account maturing mid-April, so I'll have £10k, plus the Mazda, plus whatever I can save in the next 2 months, to spend on a 911.
    I'll keep the Fiat Qubo as a daily driver, so my second car will only do around 3-4000 miles a year.

Is a 911 a sensible choice? What model should I be looking at for £15-18K? I know that maintenance costs will be high, so I'll be looking to offset that against something with relatively low depreciation.
    I'm sure you'd pick up a decent 996 in that price bracket.

I ran one for a few years and it was very cheap... tyres, pads/discs and annual servicing at an independent Porsche specialist (£250 a go from memory) was all it cost me.

Make sure you see a few and buy based on condition and evidenced maintenance. You could also get a Porsche specialist to look over it for minimal outlay - any seller uncomfortable doing this potentially (probably?) has something to hide.

Edit: I see this would be your second car. That brings older 911s into the frame, but I'll leave it to the more educated on this forum to provide an overview of those options. A friend of mine has an older 911 (I forget which model, but c.mid-70s I believe) and it sounds epic! Spends a lot time in the garage getting fixed though.

Master

A newer car (with more safety features) appeals more, especially on the narrow country lanes. Looking at prices, the earlier models seem to be on the way up in price. I guess I need to find the models that are approaching the bottom, and are about to turn the corner and start appreciating in the next few years. Find a good one, and keep it for a long time.

I would buy the Alfa, loads more soul than the standard german eurobox.