closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Conservatory roofs?

Conservatory roofs?

Well, I think it's time for a new one :cry:

It's starting to drip a lot now, especially since we have had a wet winter, and I don't think patching it up will do.

I've been ringing round today and have had VERY varied quotes for both glass and polycarb (which I have now).

Has anyone here had to do this recently and could give some info? I'd like to go glass to make it more of a liveable room but it seems very pricey :shock:

Any info appreciated as usual lads!

Cheers

Marcus

Re: Conservatory roofs?

If you're going to change to glass, then you will experience a fair hike in cost. there's a lot of shapes in a conservatory roof and all the glass has to be cut manually, unlike square/rectangle units which are done on a machine.

The roof bars also need to be of a heavier duty to take the extra load from the glass, so you're looking at a complete new roof. If you do go for glass, stress to the company you buy from that you want the sealed units made from Blue 'Pilkington Activ" (yes, the 'e' is missing on purpose :-P ) on the outside and 'K' glass inside with argon gas filling. This is pretty much the best way to make a roof unit in terms of anti glare (although if you get a lot of sunshine into it, you may need some sort of blind) and u value (energy effeciency), plus it has a self clean coating on it, once it's weathered in it does a pretty good job of keeping itself clean.

I'm in the industry and i would only use 'Ultraframe' roofs, so my best advice is to contact them either via their website or by phone (they're in Clitheroe) and ask them for a list of approved installers in your area.

I'd be happy to take a look myself if I wasn't about 230 miles from North Wales!!!

Also be happy to help with any answers to questions thrown up during the process.

If it helps to gauge price, I did a 'P' shaped roof about a year ago in glass and that was £4600 ish and thats a pretty detailed roof and was about 5mts wide.

Good luck

Thanks for the info :)

My conservatory is an Edwardian pyramid I think, 4 sides, with a box guttering. It's 3.25m x 4.25m.

Based on that do you think I could get it glazed for £3k? Might be worth a trip up for you? ;)

Mines had blue glass in for 5 years and can't fault it

Very quiet and every day looks nice.

How does it cope with the summer sun?

Very well.

It's not pilks glass but solguard.

Very light and and strong. Does well in the summer but does get warm. The dogs like it

Master

You say leaks drips?

May be as simple as panels slipped down.

Could possibly push panels back up into place.

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve
    You say leaks drips?

It could well be, but I wouldn't have a clue how to do that! I have had quotes for nearly £1k to "service" the roof, from a bit of research I reckon I could have a glass one fitted for £3k! I HATE conservatories, it was the biggest selling point to us when we bought it 4 years ago and we hardly use the thing, always to hot or to cold :evil:

Quote Originally Posted by gilford
    Thanks for the info :)

My conservatory is an Edwardian pyramid I think, 4 sides, with a box guttering. It's 3.25m x 4.25m.

Based on that do you think I could get it glazed for £3k? Might be worth a trip up for you? ;)

I'll find out and come back to you. leave it with me.

Quote Originally Posted by gilford
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve
    You say leaks drips?

It could well be, but I wouldn't have a clue how to do that! I have had quotes for nearly £1k to "service" the roof, from a bit of research I reckon I could have a glass one fitted for £3k! I HATE conservatories, it was the biggest selling point to us when we bought it 4 years ago and we hardly use the thing, always to hot or to cold :evil:
    Marcus' thinking is spot on. The trouble with them is that because they are non porous, where it shows the leak isn't necessarily where it's leaking if you get me. They have 'rat runs' all over the place. I'm not saying it was fitted incorrectly in the first place but if they aren't sealed properly when they're put up, they can be an accident waiting to happen. On top of that, things evolve, the industry has developed lots of things now incorporated into a roof to eliminate such problems.

Not surprised at the repair quotes, the repair company could quite easily use up that money fixing the problem/s.

Sorry to dredge this up :(

I've had a chap here today who has told me the existing roof will support glass and would be an easy swap, hopefully coming in under budget ;)

Thoughts?

Cheers

Get another quote and see if a new guy agrees.