closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Can the Beobachtungsuhr be over-wound?

Journeyman

Can the Beobachtungsuhr be over-wound?

I'm interested in the Zeno Beobachtungsuhr, but worried about over-winding a manual-wind watch. I've damaged mechanical movements this way in my youth.

I've read that some hand-wind movements have a feature which prevents overwinding. How does that work, and does the Beobachtungsuhr have this feature?

Also, I'm curious as to whether it has a screw-down crown?

Is anyone familiar with this watch?

Cheers!
    - KB

Thomas Reid

Re: Can the Beobachtungsuhr be over-wound?

Quote Originally Posted by Kettlebelly
    I'm interested in the Zeno Beobachtungsuhr, but worried about over-winding a manual-wind watch. I've damaged mechanical movements this way in my youth.

I've read that some hand-wind movements have a feature which prevents overwinding. How does that work, and does the Beobachtungsuhr have this feature?

Also, I'm curious as to whether it has a screw-down crown?

Is anyone familiar with this watch?

Cheers!
    - KB
    The only way to overwind a mechanical watch is to use pliers. I've tried. Perhap things go wrong more often when winding than on other occasions. Watches I've broken have generally been "overdropped onto hard surfaces", or "over fiddled with". ;)

Automatics are designed so that the mainspring slips when fully wound. Otherwise the automatic winding system would be under nearly constant pressure.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    I have the 40mm version and the only thing you have to do is feel the tension on the crown when winding, with just a bit of care you notice very easily when the watch is fully wound...by the way if you buy the 47mm and find it too large, let me know...maybe we can sort something out... :D :D :D

Regards, Mario

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    if you wind you watch every day at the same time you will soon learn how many turns are required to wind your watch, in no time at all you will be able to pick up your watch and wind it x amountn of times.

Obviously different watches will require a different amount of turns.

I always wind my manual wind watches first thing in the morning so the mainspring is at its optimum for the rigours of the day.

Cheers,

Ben.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "