closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Intermittent broadband ?

Master

Intermittent broadband ?

Anyone else have issues?
    Mainly it's not bad, using speed tests averages 5.8 Mbps.
    Every now & again though like today it just drops out or disappears :twisted:
    Phoning the call centres is like waiting down the health centre you never know what you going to get.
    When it rains it's worse?

Re: Intermittent broadband ?

With BT by any chance???

I've got to reset mine at least twice a day

Fairly regular drop outs with talktalk :evil:
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Just had this problem over the last 3 weeks , got worse and worse ,

Resolved by changing channels after resetting router ,

After router reset your password will probable revert to the original default password

took about three attempts to find a channel that did not have interference.

dont understand it but it worked

Master

Quote Originally Posted by vinstink
    With BT by any chance???

I've got to reset mine at least twice a day

yes, BT :shock:

Blog Entries

same here with bt.thought it was just me to be honest,the past 3 weeks have been a joke.my router shows full signal but it doesn't show on my 'list of available networks',so i just keep resetting - bloody annoying when it keeps cutting out :evil:

cheers,mick

Whenever I have had a similar problem, it has been the wifi circuitry in my router that is to blame. I have a pile of old routers (a Huawei, two Belkins, a Linksys and a Netgear) that work fine for wired connections, but where the wifi no longer works.

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall
    same here with bt.thought it was just me to be honest,the past 3 weeks have been a joke.my router shows full signal but it doesn't show on my 'list of available networks',so i just keep resetting - bloody annoying when it keeps cutting out :evil:

cheers,mick
    Me too
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    Quote Originally Posted by mickylall

cheers,mick
    Me too
    If you've got the Homehub it may not your broadband screwing up. The BT homehub is terrible at wireless, especially if there are a few neighbours around with the same machine. I had the same issue. One by one all the wireless devices broke, but the wired computer was always fine.

I got a new router.

Do you have the home hub v2 or v3?

The v2 one is renowned for 'blocking' when a neighbour has another of the same type! You can always switch off the wireless, buy a decent wifi router and plug it into the HH via the Ethernet connection.

Quote Originally Posted by boddah
    How far from your exchange? I get maybe drop out a couple of times a year and have just renewed my 18 month contract for the third time. I connect at 21MB/sec.

I'm with TalkTalk. My router says: Connection Time -25 days 17:48:58

Another BT sufferer with the same issues. HH2 is dreadful. Call their Indian call centre, (at their cost), who magically reset the wireless. I refuse to re-boot my router and just keep calling them in the hope that they'll get the message and send me a newer hub, certainly not going to spend my own money rectifying their problem.

Would move to another ISP if I could. Sadly, on the exchange I'm connected to only BT provide service at the moment; I understand that this will be changing shortly, (according to a flyer from Sky), so a move away from BT is inevitable - crap company all round - I should know, I worked along side them for years. :evil:
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Mine use to drop out a lot (Linksy router). I did a firmware update (to the router) and it's been excellent since.

Rod

HH3 has much improved wireless than HH2. You can pick one up for coppers on the 'Bay.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    HH3 has much improved wireless than HH2. You can pick one up for coppers on the 'Bay.
    I didn't realise the HH3 was so cheap on the Bay, lots are advertised as coming with the Infinity welcome pack which might be putting some people off as they might think they can only be used with Infinity. Off to buy one now!

Craftsman

yeah been having this problem with virgin but then found chnaging settings on the airport router fixed it

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    How far from your exchange? I get maybe drop out a couple of times a year and have just renewed my 18 month contract for the third time. I connect at 21MB/sec.
    No idea where the exchange is but I get around 6mb/sec :|
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Master

I had issue with my intial HH just after I was out of the tie in period and dispit BT calling a fair bit to upgrade and tie myself back in again I resisted then my HH lost wireless so I upgraded and got a HH2 no issues until out of tie in and rejecting numerous calls yet again to upgrade I lost wireless again, may just be one of those things but I wasn't going to play ball and moved provider.
    I now save money, have had no speed issues or issues with connectivity so I'm a happy bunny.

Master

Different again today all seems good.
    Will ask neighbours what they have.
    When we viewed this property, previous owner had, had BT, Tiscali, Zen, Sky etc etc so I think it's the cable in the ground myself :?:

Bloody call centres don't give a toss, all they are worried about is your feedback of their performance!

Check it it works when wired. If it does, the it's the wireless.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

had similar issues of losing connection but thought it was the imac i'd recently bought. However after resetting the router it would be fine, but was having to do it a couple of times a day. Last 2 weeks have been ok though, so fingers crossed.

Problems are commonly caused by:

1. Long distance from exchange - Can't do much about distance (check Samknows http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker for an idea on whether that might be the cause.

2. Poor quality / damaged connections and wiring - Need to eliminate all other potential causes and get the BB supplier to monitor your line before they will send an engineer to investigate. Can check for this and other faults by logging into your router and looking at the system uptime everytime you get a dropout.

3. Faulty ADSL Filters - Disconnect all other phones, etc, plug router into master socket, with the faceplace removed. Test for as long as possible to see whether it improves things.

4. Duff router/modem - The free ones tend to be low(ish) quality. Try borrow one from a friend if possible to test. Personally I just buy Draytek routers (Billion are also good), these are the budget end of pro kit and massively reduce the number of times you need to reboot the box, as well as usually improving connection speed and stability. Unfortunately you are also paying for a world of features most people don't use.

5. WiFi Issues - Could be interference from other devices, walls, furniture, etc. Could also be a problem with the WiFi in your device or router. Could even be some degree of unknown incompatibility between the two. First test with a wire, see whether results are the same. Then try logging into the router and seeing whether it has an option to change the WiFi band. Also do simple things like move the two closer.