closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: David Rathband RIP

Blog Entries

David Rathband RIP

Just heard this tragic news.

Re: David Rathband RIP

Bit of a shock this, he seemed determined to get on with his career, but his wife left him after an incident, I guess this and his injuries must have tipped him, very sad. RIP.

Rod

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

yes, very very sad indeed.

Becoming disabled through trauma is very hard for the person it happens to. But having said that it is sometimes harder for friends and family. I am now 12 years on since disability and near death, some of my old colleagues/friends have yet still to come to terms with the new me. My old business partner has not spoken to me in 10 years...his choice. :( Micheal J Foxes book 'Lucky man' discusses the issues he had in his marrage when diagnosed with Parkinson's the best account I've read so far on the effects disability can have on matrimony.

Very sad news indeed but not uncommon in the world of disability :cry:

RIP

Very tragic news, the poor man's world was clealry turned upside down by some crazy man's anger.

Awful news. I listened to the full broadcast earlier and was very saddened to hear that he felt "forgotten". I hope the misguided idiots who glorified Moat are reflecting on this news.

I feel so sorry him, poor man. Such terrible injuries and he never recovered, mentally. Thoughts are with his loved ones. RIP.
    Gray

Very sad indeed and 100.000000% not his fault. People that are beyond being saved should be locked up for good.

RIP, its a shame Moat cant really suffer for his actions

RIP. a very sad end for someone who deserved better.
    Joe

Terrible news, he was basically tortured from the day he was shot till the day he died.

Blog Entries

RIP.

Very tragic news indeed.

RIP

Poor bloke.

A very sad story from start to finish. :(
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow
    Awful news. I listened to the full broadcast earlier and was very saddened to hear that he felt "forgotten". I hope the misguided idiots who glorified Moat are reflecting on this news.
    +1 definitely.. Just remembered that mad cow from Surrey who went up to Moats funeral ( wearing a Chelsea top ), with two or three of her brood in tow.. She reckoned Moat was a 'legend' :roll:

Journeyman

Very sad news. RIP

Master
    Right Behind You Laughing ! A proud Yorkshire man too :)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    RIP

Poor bloke.

A very sad story from start to finish. :(
    Sums it up well tbh....

RIP... (((((((((((((( + ))))))))))))))

terrible news - RIP

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon
    +1 definitely.. Just remembered that mad cow from Surrey who went up to Moats funeral ( wearing a Chelsea top ), with two or three of her brood in tow.. She reckoned Moat was a 'legend' :roll:
    Thats the direction the world seems to be taking now, spiralling downwards seemingly out of control and the people who are there to protect get either no backing from the Government or kicked in the nuts by the Rose Tinted Spectacle Squad, (Civil Rights, protecting the shits and not the victims).

RIP and God Bless.

Keith.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by carlyrox
    (Civil Rights, protecting the shits and not the victims).
    Just to clarify, "civil rights" and human rights are all about protecting innocent people conducting their lives in a non-harmful manner (most certainly including the victims of harmful activity such as crime).

The problem at the moment is not civil and human rights (which all innocent people need in order to exist in a condition of liberty and even to have conversations like this, for example); the problem is those people who are incapable of understanding the difference between right and wrong and who persist in treating aggressor and victim alike when it is simply not appropriate. These people give civil rights and human rights an undeservedly and incorrectly bad name in many people's minds.

In short, civil and humans rights are clearly not the problem (they are simply the generci term for liberties that we should all be able to take for granted). It is political correctness (and its concomitant issues of lack of perspective, lack of realism, and an over-excess of beeing seen to be 'fair' in some artifically twisted form in the face of reality) and the people who hold these views (whom I call the "hand-wringers") that are the problem. It is these people who hold back the cause of civil rights, human rights, liberty, genuine fairness and common sense applied in reality.

So sad, what makes me boil is all the sickos that "supported" that maniac Moat.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ugog
    terrible news - RIP

This!

Incredibly sad in every way :cry:

And the poor guy who supplied the Tazer also took his own life due to pending inquiry madness

Moat truly despicable

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TKH

And the poor guy who supplied the Tazer also took his own life due to pending inquiry madness
    That's a perfect example of "death by society". That man killed himself because society appeared to blame him for the Tasering of Moat, and considered that to be worse than the actions of Moat himself. Society, and the media that it promotes and avidly consumes, should be ashamed of itself.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH

That's a perfect example of "death by society". That man killed himself because society appeared to blame him for the Tasering of Moat. Society, and the media that it promotes and avidly consumes, should be ashamed of itself.
    +1 some people always try to make the perpetrator the victim and the victim somehow responsible. A twisted logic but very common.

Master

He'd also breached Home Office guidelines on the sale of devices that were intended for testing only directly to the police and rules around safe transporting - that wasn't society blaming him for anything but his firm acting improperly, following which they lost their licence as the UK distributor. It seems possible to me that business issues may have had a part to play in this in addition to any perceived witch hunt from angry Moat fans.

I hope the misguided idiots who glorified Moat are reflecting on this news.
    For a moment I thought exactly the same thing but within an instant I decided that anyone moronic enough to join a group called "Raoul Moat You Legend" wouldn't have the intelligence to feel remorse.

RIP David Rathband.

RIP PC Rathband. Horribly, horribly sad.

Moat was an evil cnut.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    That's a perfect example of "death by society". That man killed himself because society appeared to blame him for the Tasering of Moat, and considered that to be worse than the actions of Moat himself. Society, and the media that it promotes and avidly consumes, should be ashamed of itself.
    Agreed. In this case it is an example of the way that political correctness, its supporters and other authoritarians attempt to divert attention from the individual and their personal, individual choices and apply blame to an arbitrary and superficially linked chain of events.

Master

The person in question f*cked up his personal, individual choices (and presumably harmed his company) by selling his gadgets without Home Office approval. Put the violins away - very sad on a personal level but to attribute this to the Moat incident in a direct route is bogus. Your blather about "political correctness" is absurd.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger
    The person in question f*cked up his personal, individual choices (and presumably harmed his company) by selling his gadgets without Home Office approval. Put the violins away - very sad on a personal level but to attribute this to the Moat incident in a direct route is bogus. Your blather about "political correctness" is absurd.
    My reference to political correctness in this instance was in fact more general: I was using the part of andrew's comment that I quoted as an illustration of the way that the class of people I call ''hand-wringers' and other fans of political correctness like to see things as a kind of end to end unbroken chain and thus, and this is key, overlook the issue of individual choice at the end of that chain and focus instead on using their perception of this unbroken chain as a pretext for authoritarianism and removing liberty for everyone.

I am more than willing to accept as entirely possible your view that Peter Boatman committed suicide solely because of the issue that he was found out breaking the rules. Nevertheless, I also think it possible that, as andrew suggested, Peter Boatman killed himself, at least in part, for this reason: "That man killed himself because society appeared to blame him for the Tasering of Moat". In other words, I think it is perfectly feasible that Boatman killed himself not merely because he broke the rules but perhaps also because he felt blamed by an increasingly politcally correct society and/or media for something that he had nothing directly to do with and was not his fault (i.e. it was not he who tasered Moat). I.e. Boatman's suppyling the taser, regardless of whether or not it was an "approved" model, had nothing whatsoever directly to do with Moat being tasered. And so I used this perfectly feasible scenario to illustrate how political correctness and its supporters create a false, irrelevant, or red herring chain of blame where there is, in more measured reality, no direct causal link.

As above, I'm more than willing to accept that I chose a bad example to use as the basis of this illustration. As you say, Boatman's suicide could have been solely due to being found out. Nevertheless, I feel that the point I am making is a valid one (even if the illustration I chose is poor) when it comes to recognising the methods and techniques used by natural authoritarians who like to use the facade of political correctness to get their way.

Master

I suspect that took much more effort than it was actually worth.

Craftsman

May he rest in peace.

David Rathband in his own words on the radio 4 'In Touch' programme.

"The majority of it is the fact I'm struggling with being blind. I can deal with being shot, but I'm struggling.

"I hear people's voices and feel the resentment in their voices for having to guide me around. When I'm asking for stuff and the audible 'yes, what?' gets louder and more unpleasant to listen to.

"Very early on there was no involvement from social services, I waited 10 months for somebody to speak to me. I feel that most of the people I worked with and by have forgotten what happened to me. It's indicative that people just think, being blind, you get on with it. That's not right.

"Everybody tells me you've got 10 years before you realise you can deal with being blind. At the moment I can't even see the next 12 months.

"I'm trying my best but it's tough. I can't deal with concentrating on stumbling around my garden, or going shopping and having to walk around with somebody's elbow."

Seems obvious to me that this man was struggling badly, he was let down by the society he worked for and tried to protect...shameful :(

Master

That's very sad reading. I'd assumed that police injured in the line of duty would receive a reasonable standard of care; dissapointing that that appears not to have been the case here.

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart
    David Rathband in his own words on the radio 4 'In Touch' programme.

"The majority of it is the fact I'm struggling with being blind. I can deal with being shot, but I'm struggling.

"I hear people's voices and feel the resentment in their voices for having to guide me around. When I'm asking for stuff and the audible 'yes, what?' gets louder and more unpleasant to listen to.

"Very early on there was no involvement from social services, I waited 10 months for somebody to speak to me. I feel that most of the people I worked with and by have forgotten what happened to me. It's indicative that people just think, being blind, you get on with it. That's not right.

"Everybody tells me you've got 10 years before you realise you can deal with being blind. At the moment I can't even see the next 12 months.

"I'm trying my best but it's tough. I can't deal with concentrating on stumbling around my garden, or going shopping and having to walk around with somebody's elbow."

Seems obvious to me that this man was struggling badly, he was let down by the society he worked for and tried to protect...shameful :(
    That hammers it home eloquently.

I don't wish to turn this into a Bear Pit-esque thread but it is painfully frustrating to see money being blown on mindless studies, initiatives for those who are too idle to get off their backsides and other money-pit, with no return, government spending and yet watch as adequate support for injured arm forces members, police and fire fighters is lacking.