closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: To raise a warning finger!

To raise a warning finger!

This applies to magnetic fields.

My automatic watch suddenly began to go +30 seconds / 24 hours.
    Sent it to the factory and they said that it has become magnetized. They wrote that I would be careful, speakers, TV, cell phones emit magnetic radiation and more reasons.
    I suspect that my watch was "infected" when I visited the dentist but I am not entirely sure.

Maybe there's someone here who has watches that have been affected by magnetism.

Regards

Anders

Re: To raise a warning finger!

Wow. I never realized that this could happen. I wore a watch to the dentist 2 weeks ago, I'll have to check it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gould
    Wow. I never realized that this could happen. I wore a watch to the dentist 2 weeks ago, I'll have to check it. Thanks!
    If it's been magnetized, are you really sure it's two weeks ago and not two weeks, 23 hrs 32 mins :)

Master

Was it all the pots,pans,knives and forks stuck to it that made you realise it was magnetised!!!?

How much of a potential problem is this given that we now live in a gadget obsessed world? For example, sitting in a packed train carriage you will have about a hundred people very close to you, all with mobile phones and/or laptops etc switched on.
    I tend to get a watch out at night for the next morning and leave it on the bedside table next to the clock radio and mobile phone. Have had no problems so far but is there any risk in this? Also, do electronic watch winders also pose a risk?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

This goes to prove that dentists are the devils minions.

Quote Originally Posted by verv
    This goes to prove that dentists are the devils minions.
    The bastards! They even sent me a bill! :D

I'm going to have to stop using my ACME magnetic tooth puller then!! I wondered why all my watches kept going funny! :P

Grand Master

I`m now working on watches on a regular basis and i`ve not come up against this problem.....yet.

Just completed restoration on a 70s Tisssot Seastar and I did notice the screws were magnetised slightly. Ended up demagnetising everything on it to be safe. The watch was barely running when I started so I`ve no idea if it was 'infected'.

Not sure about the dentist theory :? ......visited my new Dentist last week and he wears a 16613 Sub......wonder if it tells the right time :)

Might ask him if he wants it cosmetically refurbishing next time I`m in........I`ll offer to do it for the same hourly rate as he works for and I bet he doesn`t take me up on it :)

I reckon Dentists would probably be good at watch servicing....or maybe folks who can do watches could also do teeth :) ; can`t be that hard, can it?

Paul

Master

You mean you went to the dentist without wearing your emergency Milguass? Rookie move ...

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone
    How much of a potential problem is this given that we now live in a gadget obsessed world? For example, sitting in a packed train carriage you will have about a hundred people very close to you, all with mobile phones and/or laptops etc switched on.
    I tend to get a watch out at night for the next morning and leave it on the bedside table next to the clock radio and mobile phone. Have had no problems so far but is there any risk in this? Also, do electronic watch winders also pose a risk?
    Laptops and mobile phones aren't a serious magnetic risk unless you have your watch right against a speaker / microphone. As for a clock radio - the speaker will be a bit bigger typically so I would exercise a bit of caution. I suppose the motor in a watch winder might have a biggish magnet in it.

Actually, I have noticed that when at the dentist, the time seems to warp somehow, so the half an hour I'm there seems like eternity... Just didn't know that it was because of magnetism :D :D

Never heard of a watch being magnetized to that extent before...

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover
    Laptops and mobile phones aren't a serious magnetic risk unless you have your watch right against a speaker / microphone.
    BTDT. Although the speaker in question was a huge bass cab with an open back. My unshielded Superocean went from about +2 to +49 that day.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Last time I was at the dentist, she gave me a drink of some sort and I vaguely remember that she was in my mouth. Last thing I remember is that I was home and had a bill from central station, two beers and a burger right after I was drilled(smart move) BTW I always cover my watch with that led blanket, now I need to get a Milligauss, thanks for nothing.

Lol. I have worked in a dental surgery, every day for around 10 years... and guess what none of my watches are magnetized.

Have you had it in your pocket with a data transmitting mobile phone? They emit quite a strong electo-magnetic field, have wiped a couple of hotel key cards in my time.

I see that demagnetizers are available quite cheaply online, anyone know if these work?
    A colleague recenty lost a few quid on a PO trade in as the dealer said it was magnitized and would need to go off to Omega for a service. I believe that the PO was in perfect condition and my colleague hadn't noticed any timekeeping issues. Seems like he may have been ripped off if all that was required was to pass it over a cheap demagnetizer a couple of times. Or is there more to it than that?

One of my watches went from +1 second per day to +1 second per hour after I laid it on top of my Blackberry. It wasn't the phone that did it, the culprit was the rather strong magnet in the case flap that holds the flap closed. I actually felt the watch "jump" to the phone when I absent mindedly laid it there. Not terribly expensive to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist
    have wiped a couple of hotel key cards in my time.
    Welcome to my life; that seems to happen to me all the time.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.