closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New ND Sub - good or bad?

New ND Sub - good or bad?

Just a quick post as have some insurance money coming in - and rang Ernest Jones - she put me on the waiting list....

What's the score with it? Any good - havent had time to research - just thought - what the hell, a decent investement?

Re: New ND Sub - good or bad?

Like any Rolex you won't lose much on it initially and if prices continue to grow steadily you should have safe money there. I think the watch will look great, I love the ceramic sub date but without the cyclops so the new ND sub will look great, nice size and nice uncluttered face.

I just get worried that these Rolex prices are going to have to level off soon, they can't keep increasing prices like they do.

Probably not an investment as they will produce this model for years, as for any good - sure it will be, but I personally much prefer the old case style, the improve bracelet is no big deal for me - and I would worry about damaging the hideously expensive to replace bezel insert. So I wouldn't wear it as a 24/6 watch making it a no-go for me. As for waiting lists - every AD window seems to have a full complement of sports models so after they are released I imagine they will be freely available. In comparison to the cost of a sub 3 or 4 years ago they are massively overpriced.

I think if you're going to buy a watch without too much research, a SS sports Rolex is a pretty safe bet. You're unlikely to lose a huge amount in the short term if you decide you don't like it.

Master

I owned the updated GMT2 for more than two years and wore no other watch during that time. I used it for shooting, mountain biking, working around high voltage electrical equipment, swimming, and much more. I was not easy on the watch, and the bezel was never an issue. For me, the update non-date Sub should have been one of the first. I'm glad to see the updated clasp and lume on it though. They exceeded my expectations.

John

My AD told me a customer shattered the ceramic bezel on his DSSD while getting into the sea from a boat. It was a very expensive repair (platinum numerals, and all that). Plus, IMHO, all the big-cased Rolexes are plug-ugly.

Certainly not bad, but I much prefer the outgoing model.
    If I hadn't already got one, I'd be out there now trying to get one before they sell out.

I'm sure its going to be a great watch but it's a lot of money to put your hand up for and then ask "What's the score with it? Any good - havent had time to research" :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude
    My AD told me a customer shattered the ceramic bezel on his DSSD while getting into the sea from a boat. It was a very expensive repair (platinum numerals, and all that). Plus, IMHO, all the big-cased Rolexes are plug-ugly.
    :lol: dont no whats funnier the story or that you believe it
    i think the new ND SUB is a beauty 8)

Quote Originally Posted by redmond
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude
    :lol: dont no whats funnier the story or that you believe it
    i think the new ND SUB is a beauty 8)
    It's a Rolex AD, so why would they spread untrue stories about the fragility of the ceramic bezel on watches they themselves are selling? He bashed it against the side of the boat, apparently.

Is it possible to regret a purchase of a sub?

Grand Master

Everything has a breaking point but it would take a fair whack to damage any ceramic dial, the same whack that would ruin any dial to be fair.

Anyway the ND Ceramic is on my list it has that lovely modern edge with the classic looks, the build quality will exceed previous models but take a while to become 'that old classic feel'
    RIAC

I like to get one. I have the 14060m, but like the slight increase in size of the SD

"good or bad?" - no idea, but I do fancy having one.

I may be in the minority but I think from pictures I prefer the Sub-C date to the ND model, I actually like the cyclops :-)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666
    I may be in the minority but I think from pictures I prefer the Sub-C date to the ND model, I actually like the cyclops :-)
    No, I came to appreciate it on my GMT2C. But I do prefer no date to start with, making the cyclops irrelevant.

John

Master

However the price or popularity settles down, you will have one of thevfirst, which is aways a great feeling. Enjoy and dont be too concerned about investment value.

Blog Entries

If you like enough to part with the Nelson Eddies it's good .
    If you are buying to make a profit in the future - bad .
    Personally I like it and will buy one , but I always lose money with this hobby :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    Everything has a breaking point but it would take a fair whack to damage any ceramic dial, the same whack that would ruin any dial to be fair.

Anyway the ND Ceramic is on my list it has that lovely modern edge with the classic looks, the build quality will exceed previous models but take a while to become 'that old classic feel'
    I had one of the first GMT2Cs 18ct. The day after I got it I was pulling my hand out of an overcoat pocket and the bezel hooked up on some beading inside the top of the pocket. It was the end of a long meal and I'd had a few and probably didn't immediately appreciate what had happened.

I yanked my hand out of the pocket and the whole bezel came off, flicked out of my pocket at speed, followed by the slip ring and spring washer etc, and pirouetted through the air end over end!
    I made a grab for it as it as it flew up and away from me but missed. It hit the concrete on its edge and bounced up a couple of feet and hit on its edge again then proceeded to roll away at speed.

When I caught up with it I expected the ceramic to be cracked but it was unmarked, in fact the whole bezel was only slightly dinged on the outer edge, probably from the first hit. So they are stronger than you may think.

Rolex St James's replaced it without hesitation and the watch was back on my wrist about a week later.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by london lad
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey

I had one of the first GMT2Cs 18ct. The day after I got it I was pulling my hand out of an overcoat pocket and the bezel hooked up on some beading inside the top of the pocket. It was the end of a long meal and I'd had a few and probably didn't immediately appreciate what had happened.

I yanked my hand out of the pocket and the whole bezel came off, flicked out of my pocket at speed, followed by the slip ring and spring washer etc, and pirouetted through the air end over end!
    I made a grab for it as it as it flew up and away from me but missed. It hit the concrete on its edge and bounced up a couple of feet and hit on its edge again then proceeded to roll away at speed.

When I caught up with it I expected the ceramic to be cracked but it was unmarked, in fact the whole bezel was only slightly dinged on the outer edge, probably from the first hit. So they are stronger than you may think.

Rolex St James's replaced it without hesitation and the watch was back on my wrist about a week later.
    That's awesome!