closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hugh Laurie: Speaking like a Yank isn't easy

Hugh Laurie: Speaking like a Yank isn't easy

<a href="http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20060821/D8JKTFO00.html">
    Hugh Laurie Plays U.S. Doctor on `House'</a>

I sat with an American friend one time and discussed something similar. She wrote down a list of words that rhymed with "Ferrari" as an experiment - it included "Marry" and "Mary" among others, which do not rhyme in most English pronunciations (but do in Scotland, interestingly).

That plus the fact that US intonation is not necessarily related to the sense of the sentence being spoken - in many cases, particularly with young people and even more so with Californian young people, every sentence has the same cadence and intonation, regardless of its meaning. To English ears, anyway.

The funny thing is, the moment I land on US soil I start slipping into a (doubtless poor) American voice, quite embarrassingly sometimes. I'm just a Yankophile.

:)

I can't attempt another accent b/c I just sound stupid. :lol: Sure, one can blurt out the odd word with an exaggerated cockney accent, but you guys would know it was a fake. ;-)

I've watched Hugh Laurie in Blackadder and Fry & Laurie, so I am of course very familiar with him from that. When I first saw him in this US TV doctor program I was struck by how well he does a US accent. As someone here pointed out (I think it was Ron Jr) if you didn't know about Hugh Laurie you'd never guess that he was really a Brit. ...and even though I don't watch that show, the few times I have seen him playing that part he is really good. He's got that "I am a shit" sarcastic dickhead routine down pat b/c that is the character he plays. :lol:

Master
    A good part of the actors from Band of Brothers were Brits. I didn't know this when it originally aired because they all did a fine job, but when the DVD set came out I was surprised by all the accents in the behind the scenes stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Grath
    A good part of the actors from Band of Brothers were Brits. I didn't know this when it originally aired because they all did a fine job, but when the DVD set came out I was surprised by all the accents in the behind the scenes stuff.
    Likewise, I was surprised by that! I came across the guy who played Winters in some costume drama recently and was really thrown by him not talking in an American accent.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

What about Higgins in Magnum PI? More British than the Brits.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Thomas Reid
    Which American accent? ;)

I haven't acquired a BBC accent (I can't even "do" one). Nor have I quite retained my US accent. One thing that I have learned, however, is that in England a little bit of drawl goes a long way.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Grand Master
    Michael Caine's American accent is pitiful and made me squirm with embarrassment
    I wont be filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, I am not a number, I am a free man, my life is my own!!!
    Be seeing you
    Toodle pip
    Griff.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    Michael Caine's American accent is pitiful and made me squirm with embarrassment
    Michael Caine's ENGLISH accent is pitiful and made me squirm with embarrassment :lol:

My name is Michael Caine.

You were only supposed to blow the bloody door off. :roll:
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve264
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    Michael Caine's ENGLISH accent is pitiful and made me squirm with embarrassment :lol:
    No' a lo' of peepooo know dat.

I'm curious what do you guys think of Mike Myer's Austin Powers accent? He does the English for AP, the Scottish for Fat Bastard, and even the "freaky deeky Dutch" one for Goldmember. :lol:

I believe that although a Canadian by birth that his parents were British immigrants to Canada.

Master
    He he he hey, groovy bbaybie, Groovy!

No.

To me he sounds like a man licking his lips with ants in his pants.

Marbles, no. Garbled, possibly.

Pottinger :)

Journeyman
    Sorry Julian, that was Peter Sellers impersonating Michael Caine.
    Regards, Jon.

Craftsman
    Ah yes of course Jon .Was it when he answered MC's telephone ?

Quote Originally Posted by worlok
    I'm curious what do you guys think of Mike Myer's Austin Powers accent? He does the English for AP, the Scottish for Fat Bastard, and even the "freaky deeky Dutch" one for Goldmember. :lol:

I believe that although a Canadian by birth that his parents were British immigrants to Canada.
    Embarrassing, I'm afraid, Tom. And I could never understand why the dumb pseudo-Scots accent for Shrek - it spoiled two fine movies for me.

Okay, speaking about BAD accents. Has anyone seen Deuce Bigalow:European Gigolo?

In that there is some comedian playing a Scotch gigolo doing a Scottish accent and you can hardly understand him. ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grath
    Same thing with SciFi's Battlestar Gallactica. I was shocked when I heard Jamie Bamber, who plays Captain Lee "Apollo" Adama, in the behind-the-scenes interviews. He's a Brit. He also played the Lt. that was shot at night by one of his privates as he was walking with MAJ Winters in Band of Brothers.

A lot of the actors and actresses in SciFi's series are British, but they don't always cover that up, as in Dune and Children of Dune.

I actually like the British actors a lot more in these shows. They tend to have more character than the dry American actors.

John