closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best watch in the world, is it the one you wear anywhere?

Banned

Best watch in the world, is it the one you wear anywhere?

I've been thinking about this recently.. is the best watch, the one that isn't a safe queen. I was just looking at Mikes thread with his MilSub collection, and pretty much all of them have been properly worn. So, it's a good question.. why do we bother with watches that are wrapped in cotton wool. This doesn't mean we have to have a cheap watch - look at those Milsubs, imagine what they've been through.

I have a box full of watches, most of which I wouldn't wear if there was any chance of damage. So, it begs the question, is the coolest watch, the one that gets worn anywhere & everywhere? The watch that is a tool, a beater, a do everything watch. Some may want a special watch for occasions.. but then, if it was that special, you'd wear it all the time - surely the watch you wear all the time is the special watch.

Sorry for rambling.. but sometimes I go through a period of thinking that one well worn watch could be the way forward. I'm not saying we/I should only have one watch, I could have a dozen, but as long as they are all 'wear anywhere' watches.

End of rambling.. :mrgreen:

Master

Re: Best watch in the world, is it the one you wear anywhere?

Agreed. Which of the two would you rather have:

(a) The Speedy Pro that an Army officer bought in 1969, that saw him through a 30 year Army career including two tours in Vietnam, exercises in the Australian desert and time on the beach, and which has been regularly serviced, but which still has all original parts with it
    (b) The same model bought and kept in a safe for 40 years?

The first one tells a story; the second doesn't...

Oh - and all my watches are "wear anywhere"; having said which, the Speedy Pro (bought used and in need of a polish) doesn't get worn in water, but only because it's on a leather strap. They've all been worn for business and sport, the latter including aerobatic flying...

Rolex 16610, my go-everywhere watch

Good points both, but unless I'm just messing about the house or so I don't like wearing shabby watches. If had the 'one with the story' I'd keep it in a box to bring out and bore my friends and family with it.

My go-anywhere just now is my PRS-18C on a Lumpy though I've been wearing my Tag Calibre S a lot when I'm out.

I definitely wear all my watches and don't plan on having any "safe queens" - I'd rather have them restored before a sale and consider the cost of that a "usage fee" in terms of any depreciation that might happen.

No best watch, only one of the best watch.

Journeyman

The idea, I think, is that we own our watches and not the other way round. Get nice ones, keep them serviced, and use them. This one's been on the bottom of every sea and ocean for decades.

Doxa 1000T Pro, bought off SC and well battered! wear it for everything and because it is well worn have no worries where or what i do when wearing it.

I've got quite a choice of what to wear, but I can honestly say they all get a go, no safe queens here.

Wouldn't wear my UN's to go gardening with, but they all get some wear at some point.

Malc

I've no safe queens, but some of the bigger watches (50mm +) don't tend to get worn around the yard as they are easier to damage but they certainly do all get worn...

A

Quote Originally Posted by nanuq
    The idea, I think, is that we own our watches and not the other way round. Get nice ones, keep them serviced, and use them. This one's been on the bottom of every sea and ocean for decades.

Fabulous, that's my type of watch and one that I would be proud to wear every day :)

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093

Fabulous, that's my type of watch and one that I would be proud to wear every day :)

Agreed! I use everything I own from watches to flashlights! Every item is scarred in some small way :)

I don't do safe queens but have a few watches I keep for special occasions.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims
    I don't do safe queens but have a few watches I keep for special occasions.
    +1

But this my go-everywhere-watch

All my watches are bought to wear, I cannot stand the terms, safe queen or NOS which leads me rightly or wrongly to assume someone has a dealer mentality or collects for that other horrible term, investment.

Craftsman

I use all of mine, but wouldn't wear my dress watch to go rock climbing! That said, I have given all my watches scratches and scrapes to make them mine.

I find that my watches give me the most joy when on my wrist. That being said, I still try to avoid scratches, but if it happens, it happens... :)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by europa
    I've been thinking about this recently.. is the best watch, the one that isn't a safe queen. I was just looking at Mikes thread with his MilSub collection, and pretty much all of them have been properly worn. So, it's a good question.. why do we bother with watches that are wrapped in cotton wool.
    Thanks for this approach.

I wear two watches as ´beater´ for my daily work on the farm. I do private horse riding classes for fanatics, point to point and all; wear them with that too.

the one I wear most as it is by far the most practical and - best legible has the sabi to how for it:

I have no qualms about wearing my 18K luxury pieces either and I do not bother with a scratch. The first one is more a liberation than anything else. My prefered 18k ones are a 1967 Omega DeVille and a 2002 GrandSeiko 9F.

I dó try avoid wearing a mechanical wonder like a handmade 36000 bpm or ditto chronograph when I may end up doing something rugged. Yes, they can be repaired
    but as I have ample choice from far more rugged watches, I think that senseless.

Lastly I am convinced that ´best´needs to be seen in the context of when the watch was made and, to a lesser extend, to it´s purpose.

I've worn my EZM1 for three years, it's my running timer so gets used on mountain marathons, multiday ultras etc. My other watches get an outing on special occasions. If people want to keep their investments at a certain value and have respect for their history and so keep them safe and lightly worn I think it very sensible. I'm talking vintage watches here.

Actually, this is the watch I wear if there's any likelihood of damage being caused...

I baby my watches, as I do anything of value that I care about. Sorry.

Absolutely agree that watches are to be worn: my attitude is that if I'm remotely worried about a watch, then it's probably too expensive for me to own.

But that said, since I do a white collar (or more accurately white T-shirt) job I do change watches when I'm doing physical stuff like gardening etc. Horses for courses is all.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I think there is an element of truth in this idea of the best watch being the one we wear. I try and use my Rolex GMT for just about everything, my theory being that on one hand when serviced by Rex she can be brought back u to almost new condition and second because she is supposed to be a serious sports watch that can take punishment and real use.

I often find myself not wearing watches that are in new condition for fear of de valuing them, I much prefer something with a little wear and even wabi.

On the other hand, I want to be able to use my Rolex as a beater because actually that's what it's for isn't it? It's not a Patek with 30m of water resistance and a case that will mark and dent on thin air. It's the watch that goes to Everest and to the bottom of the ocean. It survived the Decontamination course at work the other week without missing a beat. It took some balls to decide to wear it for running about ina. Field with rifles, but she Was completely at home.

Blog Entries

All my watches get worn.
    That said I do tend to pick the most appropriate tool for the job. So I don't buy into this one watch for all nonsense.

Sports - G Shock
    Work - Milgauss
    Etc

I would not play football in brogues or go swimming in a Tuxedo. Horses for courses. ;)

z

Master

Quote Originally Posted by europa
    I've been thinking about this recently.. is the best watch, the one that isn't a safe queen. I was just looking at Mikes thread with his MilSub collection, and pretty much all of them have been properly worn. So, it's a good question.. why do we bother with watches that are wrapped in cotton wool. This doesn't mean we have to have a cheap watch - look at those Milsubs, imagine what they've been through.

I have a box full of watches, most of which I wouldn't wear if there was any chance of damage. So, it begs the question, is the coolest watch, the one that gets worn anywhere & everywhere? The watch that is a tool, a beater, a do everything watch. Some may want a special watch for occasions.. but then, if it was that special, you'd wear it all the time - surely the watch you wear all the time is the special watch.

Sorry for rambling.. but sometimes I go through a period of thinking that one well worn watch could be the way forward. I'm not saying we/I should only have one watch, I could have a dozen, but as long as they are all 'wear anywhere' watches.

End of rambling.. :mrgreen:
    That is pretty much the reason I chopped my number to 3, and 3 only! You can only wear one watch at a time, so that leaves 2 for rotation! It seemed daft to me to have umpteen other watches that simply weren't being worn.

So I have one Oris TT1 Chrono that the Mrs bought me on our wedding day - it doesn't get worn, but if I sold it I think the divorce papers would shortly follow!

PAM 312 which I've always wanted one, and it hasn't disappointed.

BR01-92 which has surprised me, massively, I bought off SC and I love it, big chunky, easily legible piece of man steel. Well balanced on the wrist, and a bit of an iconic design. If you haven't tried one, and like me you need a big watch - these are one worth considering.

Only having two watches it is pretty easy to say they both get worn a lot, a Gshock for life's ruff and tumble and my Carrera for everything else. Was a bit gutted when the Carrera got its first scratch but later realised it was more liberating than anything else as the light everyday wear and tear just adds to a watch's character, and shows that it is being used and loved.

My beaters are a 2254, a Mark XV, a Speedy Pro and Zenith El Primero HW. I think you get the point :)

I don't entertain at all the safe queen approach, I'd rather feel that watches need to breath fresh air :) (I guess that sounds a bit weird, but hey, we are on a WIS forum... :D).

With the exception of my IWC 3714, which I tend to use for dress best only, I wear whichever watch I've put on that morning to do whatever I end up doing that day. It means a new bezel or crystal at service once in a while, and a bit of cleaning from time to time, but why own these watches if you don't wear them?

This holiday I went away with a PO XL on a black nato, and I've worn it while lugging two tons of wood back to the woodshed, with associated sawing and chopping; while washing the mud out of the Disco's suspension arms; while digging up and laying down soil where the neighbours dogs went after a rabbit under our summer house (honestly, how much mess can two dogs make!?) and every other dirty job that's come along. So far, nothing worse than a few swirlies. I'll probably take it off when painting the senior offspring's bedroom, because even I have some sense...

Oh, and I used it for timing eggs for a picnic, hence the bezel being off 12 o'clock for those of you with CDO. Who says I don't need a diving watch?

My Traser. It's rugged, waterproof, comfortable, very accurate and visible in all conditions.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by simoscribbler
    Absolutely agree that watches are to be worn: my attitude is that if I'm remotely worried about a watch, then it's probably too expensive for me to own.

But that said, since I do a white collar (or more accurately white T-shirt) job I do change watches when I'm doing physical stuff like gardening etc. Horses for courses is all.
    Only ever had 1 real safe Queen never had on my wrist and eventually after 5 or 6 years later traded for a few watches that I did wear and wasnt greatly concerned with picking up daily knocks on those.
    My point for me is that now I dont spend anything near what I did in the past. The cost eventually the defining factor for me settled it and now all my watches get worn.

I have two "best watches". They are both the best. For similar reasons, and both have been worn a lot.

It was a CWC G10 but it needed drying out last time I went for an unintentional swim.

Just bought a Vostok Amphibian as all my other watches are only 5 ATM

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697
    My Traser.
    I managed to crush mine the bezel got dinged and cracked the crystal. Acryllic would have been better.
    I wear an oil filled F91-W now when I go wrist bashing. The DW5600 is stronger but also collects ten times the blows because it sticks out. The F91-W evades most and is also flexible.
    That is for extreme adventures though, like rock climbing or canyonning.

Master

The OP makes a good point. I have a couple of beaters but hardly ever wear them as its very rarely I do things that involve both wearing a watch and doing something physical that could get it damaged*. Working on my cars is about the only example I can think of but even though I have often taken the watch off as it gets in the way. This then leaves everything else, the daily grind in the office etc. For me its the Breitling Aerospace that does this job perfectly.

* - Any sort of sport that involves a genuine physical danger to a watch is likely to also endanger the user by wearing a watch. In my time I have gone through phases of being either cycling or cricket or football obsessed but never wore a watch doing sports.

Journeyman

I wear different watches for different occasions, The one thing I'm missing is the beater - I tried with a few Seikos but never got on with them..

This probably gets the most wear to be honest - pick up and go and extraordinarily accurate - I know people flaunt "doesn't miss a beat" all to regularly but this one genuinely does not, ever.

Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre S Laptimer

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

i have a habit of babying ones that are mint.. so ive discovered that my happy medium is having a good watch with some already present scuffs and scrapes for daily affairs.. and a tidy watch that i wear when i dont think theres a risk of smacking it on something.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I open the watch boxes every day and decide that day what I will wear. Some consideration is given to the potential vulnerability of the watch, in view of my planed activities for that day, but not much. Most of the decision is based on what shoes I am wearing that particular day. Should I decide to change my shoes for the evening, as I most often would, then I will change my watch. They all get worn though, no safe queens.

Yes, it should be one you can wear anywhere - in my opinion the best watches in the world are the 16600 SD and the 5600 range of G-shocks - everyone should have at least one of each ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

I'm a bit like java. I tend to choose my watch depending more on what clothing I'm wearing that day, which is often decided by activity. If I'm in the office, were I can pretty much wear whatever I like, I can wear smart or casual clothes and hence smarter or scruffier watch. If I'm doing outdoors stuff, then I'll wear my walking trousers etc and for that my Ventura SPARC, which is my smartest watch, doesn't really suit.

My PRS-14 can be worn with most things so is a very flexible watch and I don't baby it. I give the crystal a polish once in a blue moon.

My most worn watch is probably my G-Shock GW-5000 since I'm happy to wear it with smarter clothes but it will definitely cope with a bashing and getting filthy.

Master

The best diver's watch in the world........

The best everyday watch in the world........

The best chronograph in the world......

The best marine chronometer in the world.....

The best dress watch in the world.......

Sorted :mrgreen:

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun
    No safe queens here, either, though I do like to keep mine as pristine as I can and have watches that lend themselves to rough and tumble when that's the order of the day.
    As a few of you know, I had a number of safe queens, and i still have a few, but the ones left are genuinely investment watches{yes i cashed in a poorly performing investment fund and put it into watches}. The watches i have left, out of the 75 plus that i had, except the investments, all get worn. I like to keep mine pristine too, but as has been mentioned, i wouldn't wear my dress watches for rock climbing or white water rafting etc.

But if i had to choose one that did everything.........difficult call, my 16610 is a good starting point, but i also have a SM300 that is very similar in terms of function and classic looks. However, I also have a few Bremonts , hard as nails cases and straps are amazingly good even in water, they really are excellent for most situations, so they'd be a consideration too.

Now..... in a previous MOD life {40 Commando} i was issued a CWC Auto,this watch had been up to Everest base camp, crossed the Andies, undertaken a months white water rafting in the Canadian wilderness and various other rough and tumble adventures, and guess what its still looks ok.... but it lacks the versatility of the Rolex/Omega and Bremont due to having fixed bars.

I have tried a number of Sinn's and they are good, hard cases and well made, but once the finish of a bead blasted watch is damaged its difficult to make good without professional attention, and they are alittle ....er bland looking{IMO}..........so,..........one watch anywhere..........sorry but a 16610 is a good choice{Dweller is alittle more tool looking/less dressy} but will damage more easily than a case hardened Bremont, which is my preferred choice nowadays.

Very hard for one watch to do everything better than the rest, but for me its a case of getting one that does everything well, if not the in every area, and a Bremont on leather with the back up of a Nato does that, or a Submariner with a Nato would be my second choice, others come close, but these would be my reasons and recommendations, but i realise that differing lifestyles bring different priorities and choice options.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack
    Agreed. Which of the two would you rather have:

(a) The Speedy Pro that an Army officer bought in 1969, that saw him through a 30 year Army career including two tours in Vietnam, exercises in the Australian desert and time on the beach, and which has been regularly serviced, but which still has all original parts with it
    (b) The same model bought and kept in a safe for 40 years?

The first one tells a story; the second doesn't...

Oh - and all my watches are "wear anywhere"; having said which, the Speedy Pro (bought used and in need of a polish) doesn't get worn in water, but only because it's on a leather strap. They've all been worn for business and sport, the latter including aerobatic flying...
    The one from a safe - every time - I couldn't give a rats about a watches history, I'm interested in watches, not so much history.

No safe queens here either! They all get worn, some more than others.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093

Agreed! I use everything I own from watches to flashlights! Every item is scarred in some small way :)
    That is so f*****g cool, a double red used to the limit.....love it :headbang:

Yes
    Gray

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by benrapp
    Oh, and I used it for timing eggs for a picnic, hence the bezel being off 12 o'clock for those of you with CDO. Who says I don't need a diving watch?
    :D :D

Master

I would go with either my granddad's old vintage gold watch or my speedy below - those are what I wear 99% of the time (at least for the past year :D ).