closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 45mm PO - too large?

Re: 45mm PO - too large?

Wrists of a girl!

I think this is very stupid angle for a wrist photo. And i donīt believe itīs a manīs wrist.

Blog Entries

Whatever makes the wearer happy.

Master

Reminds me of the DSSD thread we had here months ago.

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw
    There's a fun thread developing over on the Omega section of another forum, where some chap posted pictures of his new 45mm PO 8500 including the wrist shots below. Simple question, is it too big for him in your view?

WUSS I SAY.
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

I like big watches and I can not lie. :D
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega
    That's an interesting post but gives you only a rough idea about sizes and what not. There's something we usually don't talk about and that's wrist shape. I for one probably have an odd shaped wrist because it is not round... although it's something like 7 to 7.25 inches if I wrap a tape around it, the fact is that the top of my wrist is flat and broad.

I first noticed this after selling a couple of watches to a fellow forum member. He didn't had to readjust the bracelets but he seems not to be able to wear some bigger watches that I can. Here's a good example... this is a 54mm tip of lug to tip of lug Aristo and I think it's the biggest thing I can wear (and the lug shape helps a lot)

I use this on its last or second to last strap hole but I can still (barely) pull it off.

What I always look for on a watch size is the lug to lug size and that's a kind of measure some sellers and manufacturers don't give you. That can be tricky with some watches you can't try on an AD... So sometimes you just have to guess, bite the bullet and see how that goes.

As to the original picture, I doubt even a 42mm version would fit well on his wrist. But if he likes wearing that, tell him to get a Russian Zlatoust Vodolaz... he'll love it!!! :lol:

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PDE
    Far too big but as long as he's happy with it, that's all that matters
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by timpaland
    He should def. size down. What are people saying on the other forum?
    That's my line too; it's his money, his wrist, his choice.

However, plainly it's ridiculously large on him, as the lugs are over-hanging his wrists' edges. The owner ultimately reacted badly to comments that it did look too big, revealingly saying he preferred "an intimidating sized watch than one that a lot of girls would buy (42mm) and wear nowadays especially down in Asia! PO 45.5mm is truly a "man's" watch!" :roll:
    I agree that it's his watch, his choice.

But that watch makes his arm look like a girls. Not masculine at all.

Quote Originally Posted by verv

But that watch makes his arm look like a girls. Not masculine at all.
    He can always wear the watch around his neck...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by Kutusov
    That's an interesting post but gives you only a rough idea about sizes and what not.
    Not any more. :)

Thanks to ultrastapler we've a wrist shape co-efficient that takes into account how flat the owner's lower arm is. Seeing as we already have lug-to-lug and case size, all we need is co-efficient for lug curvature and that should be it.*

*Caution, this post is only half-serious. But you never know...

I tried on both the 42mm and 45.5mm 8500 PO in the new Omega Boutique at Bluewater yesterday and came away very impressed. Interestingly I've always thought the previous model 45mm PO was too big but in the new version it looks better proportioned and in a strange way felt smaller than my 44mm Pam. :?

Conversely the 42mm almost looked like a ladies watch in my hands, which was a real suprise. :shock:

Most importantly my wife liked the watch and I got the feeling with a bit of clever financial management she might even let me buy one. At the appropriate discount of course! :lol:

Thanks to ultrastapler we've a wrist shape co-efficient that takes into account how flat the owner's lower arm is. Seeing as we already have lug-to-lug and case size, all we need is co-efficient for lug curvature and that should be it.*

That sounded like one of those late night TV adds! I was expecting "the call now and get it for 70% less, PLUS a completely free, pine scented set of furry dices for your rear-view mirror!". You lost me when no such offer was made :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That sounded like one of those late night TV adds! I was expecting "the call now and get it for 70% less, PLUS a completely free, pine scented set of furry dices for your rear-view mirror!". You lost me when no such offer was made :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    Your watch perfectly sized for you - or your money back.

It's a different kind of watch-sizing formula altogether.

Entire forum (altogether) "It's a different kind of watch-sizing formula." :D

I would call right now, I really would... but I've just blown my last money on a "magic dog's hair removal spray - get rid of that nasty dog's hair on your couch and car seats, David Copperfield style" with an 80% discount. I couldn't let that one get away and I don't even own a dog :shock:

I would call right now, I really would... but I've just blown my last money on a "magic dog's hair removal spray - get rid of that nasty dog's hair on your couch and car seats, David Copperfield style" with an 80% discount. I couldn't let that one get away and I don't even own a dog :shock:
    Reminds me of an old joke - would work better if told in an Austrian or German accent (where is horrovac when you need him). :)

"My dog has no nose."

"How does he smell?"

"He can't - his olfactory senses are impaired."

Reminds me of an old joke - would work better if told in an Austrian or German accent (where is horrovac when you need him). :)

[
    Also old, also works best with a German accent :mrgreen:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zkZ3f8DnKs

...and it's completely on topic also! Honest! Takes about 20 years of humming away on the Himalayas to get the insight though...

...and it's completely on topic also! Honest! Takes about 20 years of humming away on the Himalayas to get the insight though...
    Great stuff - very good. :D

Banned
    Blog Entries

[

Try riding a nervous dominant lead mare of a high strung breed in heat...
    Itīs like telling a lover with pms that her favourite dress make her look plump ánd expecting to bed her.
    Zzzzzzzzzzénnnnn is the only solution :wink:

:albino:

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla
    Try riding a nervous dominant lead mare of a high strung breed in heat...
    Itīs like telling a lover with pms that her favourite dress make her look plump ánd expecting to bed her.
    Zzzzzzzzzzénnnnn is the only solution :wink:

:albino:
    Yes, I can see that might cause a problem. :D

You could always use the crop. On the horse, of course.

Banned
    Blog Entries

You could always use the crop. On the horse, of course.
    That is ethically not any less questionable and will lead to the same; she will not come for a ride next time.

Same thing in wis-dom. Fora tend to be autoselective about what is shared/shown. As this topic illustrates, the OT needed to borrow from a dífferent forum to find an example to ridiculise and on that forum too the variation in opinion has been culled.
    This while a 47mm. Pam is suggested as lovable by all.
    Thatīs horo-logic.

Right, letīs all wear 44mm fake gold watches the remainder of this week; it has been marked as being good taste :bounce:

Grand Master

Yes, it looks stupid. Of course, each to his own, and all that, but he did ask; it looks like a little boy who stole his daddy's watch. Also love the "down in Asia" comment - is that next to Peckham? He can't possibly be suggesting that a continent with over 4,000,000,000 people and 50 countries has a single, uniform taste in watches :shock:
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

It looks completley daft on him we all know that, I wonder if the bloke (is it a man?) wears his clothes 5 times too big also?
    I'm guessing he is one of those people that has no concious understanding of what size they really are.

Master

"PO 45.5mm is truly a "man's" watch!" :roll:
    That's the problem with this. I'm all for individual taste, and wearing what you like, regardless of what other people think. But he's not ignoring other people's opinion; he's choosing his watch based on what he thinks other people will consider 'manly'. And he's fighting a losing battle with that wrist!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobinMasters
    "PO 45.5mm is truly a "man's" watch!" :roll:
    That's the problem with this. I'm all for individual taste, and wearing what you like, regardless of what other people think. But he's not ignoring other people's opinion; he's choosing his watch based on what he thinks other people will consider 'manly'. And he's fighting a losing battle with that wrist!
    Come on, get a bit realistic please.

The wristwatch was 32-36 mm. untill Stallone and Schwarzenegger started a private running gag that took off with the first Panerais for the civil market.
    Even those downsized 44mm models flopped to such an extend for being way too big at the time that the watch business was sold to Vendome.

Wis finger pointing to even bigger fashion watches is plain silly and shortsighted imo.
    Just about the whole of wisdom is wearing watches that were considered ludicrously large only 15 jears ago :!:
    Is thus wearing fashinable oversize itself :idea:

There was a lady in our local chinese restaurant a while back wearing a large size PO. It had the orange bezel, orange numbers and an orange strap. She had wrists like the photo at the start of the thread. She also had orange hair. She looked stunning. I couldn't take my eyes of the watch. My wife was not impressed.

The point I'm trying to make is that that lady made that particular oversized watch look good.

Craftsman

Surely those pics are a joke.

No it's quite real, and don't call me Shirley.

The OP on "the other forum" is receiving a bit of a kicking, even the mods have joined in to some extent.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Craftsman

The OP on "the other forum" is receiving a bit of a kicking, even the mods have joined in to some extent.
    give me a hint at where to look

Quote Originally Posted by camb66

+1, which forum are we talking about here?

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W

Is there some reason no ones linked to it? I dunno. Anyway search for "FINALLY...am a proud owner of an OMEGA PO 45.5mm SS"

Quote Originally Posted by fornowagain
    Is there some reason no ones linked to it? I dunno. Anyway search for "FINALLY...am a proud owner of an OMEGA PO 45.5mm SS"
    That's it - there's some fun comments on there.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Craftsman

I am a member of that forum_ i can't believe i missed that

Master

Read through some of the thread on the other forum. Very funny.

Didn't realise there was a 37.5mm version of the PO - that's definitely the one I'd go for myself.

Craftsman

I've found the watch to be too big for my wrist and it looks enormous on that guy, but it's all a matter of personal taste.

It's a shame they label the 37.5mm as a 'ladies' watch. As I'm sure that will put off a few male buyers, when it would as in this case be the right size to buy.

Master

sorry that just looks silly, what he needs is the XXL railmaster

Read the thread. Poor guy did take a bit of a kicking - he must have cried all the way back from school :roll:

Craftsman

That watch looks absolutely ridiculous on his wrists, much like David Byrne's big suit, or clown shoes.

What the OP doesn't get is that the oversized watch on women thing is cute, currently fashionable, and not much else.

There's nothing "manly" about wearing a watch that's too big for you-it's more like a little boy wearing daddy's watch.

I currently wear the Omega PloProf 1200, which fits fine, and previously had the 42mm PO, and thought that looked fine, too. Plus, I preferred the proportions of the 42mm over the 45.5 anyway.

Sold my Ennebi because quite frankly I thought it looked too big, and not in a good way...

Possibly, but I doubt he'll be pointed at or stopped in the street.

Saw a young chap wearing a U-Boat or the like yesterday. Looked ridiculous, but it seems to be 'fashion' these days. In this light you can pull off this PO 45.5 as well...

It's not just the diameter of the PO, its got a hell of a depth to it too, similar to the DSSD. Very top heavy. No way too large though!

Thats not a mans arm,looks like a 5 year old's to me. :D

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W

It's watch-u-seek. This isn't the other TZ.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372
    It's not just the diameter of the PO, its got a hell of a depth to it too, similar to the DSSD. Very top heavy. No way too large though!
    You mean lugs overhanging the wrist on both sides is OK :?:

Anyway I know who it is: it's David Byrne, out of the Talking Heads!

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372
    Are you being serious, it's huge and looks stupid on the OP, he should wear the 37.5 at a push with his wrists.

If he unclenches his fist it will be on the floor in seconds.

Master

wristshots can be misleading/deceptive at times,

is the OP asking what people think? if so he probably knows it's too big.
    if not..& the OP is happy with it, I can't see a problem

Blog Entries

Just saw the WUS thread - quite amusing!
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman

Looks way too big on his wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Retep
    Saw a young chap wearing a U-Boat or the like yesterday. Looked ridiculous, but it seems to be 'fashion' these days. In this light you can pull off this PO 45.5 as well...
    ...and trousers with a waist too big for you so that you walk around with them wrapped around your knees. In that light, I think a huge watch is the least of your problems :mrgreen: (OMG, I'm an old man!!!! :shock: )