closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Citizen Eco-drive 300m diver

Citizen Eco-drive 300m diver

Hi all - I received this yesterday & thought I'd write a little review. It arrived completely uncharged so it spent most of yesterday sitting under an angle-poise lamp. It was an extremely dull day yesterday so there didn't seem much point in plonking it on the window sill to charge.

I'll start off by saying that I think this is a great looking watch - the highly polished stainless steel sides contrast nicely with the black bezel & black areas (DLC/PVD'd maybe?) around, & opposite, the crown. The crown itself is a two tone affair with the majority of it being black with the "Promaster" arrow highlighted in matt silver. Another point of note is that the crystal (mineral I think) is domed & the bezel edge sits above it (so should provide some protection) & the area of the bezel the insert sits in is angled which, again, should stop the insert from picking up scratches too easily.

The dial is incredible with raised "stripes" radiating out from the centre - I'm not sure how to describe it to be honest but it looks amazing in the metal & the fact that it's also a solar cell makes it doubly amazing - to my way of thinking at least! The minute hand is possibly a bit short, but I can live with it, while the hour/GMT/second hands are fine. The blue second hand & blue highlights on the chapter ring at 1, 4, 7 & 10 (they should in fact be at 12, 3, 6 & 9 - so the chapter ring hasn't been fitted correctly!) are a touch of class & subtly break up all the black. The lume is blue on the hour markers & green on the hands - bit of a shame that as it'd look better if they were the same as each other. The "60" on the bezel is also lumed (blue again) which is a nice touch & makes a change from the usual triangle &/or luminous pip. The lume seemed very bright yesterday - not surprising as it had been under a lamp for a good few hours - & seemed to last well last into the night. The GMT hand travels round the dial once every 24 hours & can't be adjusted - if you want to keep track of a second time zone then you have to adjust the hour hand by pulling the crown out to the 1st position (after it's been unscrewed of course) & turning the crown clockwise; turning the crown anti-clockwise while it's in the 1st postion changes the date; pulling the crown out to the second position hacks the watch & allows the time to be set/adjusted accurately.

There's a normal divers version which uses the same case but, presumably, has a different movement fitted & I've also just found out that there's a chronograph version available as well - the dial on this version looks far too busy for me though (I'm not a massive fan of chronograph's anyway).

As is the trend these days this is a big watch - the case measures 50mm across (outer edge to outer edge across the 9 - 3 position), while the crystal measures 33mm across, lug width is a rather inconvenient 23mm but the fitted rubber strap is superb & tapers down to 20mm & the nicest buckle I've seen for ages; forget pre-v buckles this one's nothing like as bulky & looks much nicer in my opinion - it's a bit of a work of art really & great to see on a mass produced watch. Needless to say I've already tried to fit a 24mm Rhino but there isn't enough space between the case & springbars for one of those. They are quite thick straps though & I think a 24mm Nato would fit but I don't have one to try - Minkle hass fitted a 22mm Nato to his & while it looks good I think the watch looks best on the original strap. The watch weighs in at a comparatively lightweight 130g & is extremely comfortable to wear - I'm not aware of there being a bracelet version available. It also doesn't overpower a smaller wrist & looks fine to me (others may disagree) on my spindly 6 3/4" wrist

So there you have it - not sure what else to say about it other than it's a beautiful, distinctive & well made watch. The divers versions are available for £140ish (something of a bargain methinks) while I paid a fair bit more than that for the GMT (not that I think I've overpaid). I was told by one supplier that the watch has been discontinued by Citizen - no idea if this applies to all versions of the watch or just this particular version - so if you like what you see then it may be best to buy sooner rather than later.

Opinions welcome but I'm well chuffed with the watch despite the out of whack chapter ring :) :)

Re: Citizen Eco-drive 300m diver

Looks like a lot of watch. Love that dial, I think. :)

Top review.

Love these!

Got the none GMT version and it looks sweeeeeet :D

Liking the GMT.
    does the GMT hand have lume on?

Quote Originally Posted by vinstink
    Love these!

Got the none GMT version and it looks sweeeeeet :D

Liking the GMT.
    does the GMT hand have lume on?
    No lume on the GMT hand unfortunately :(

I really like that. I wonder if it has the same movement used by the Mission Antarctica and Limited 4X4.

Very beautiful and rugged watch.

Thats a great review.

Not mad (personally) about the watch, but still a great review. Well done

love the dial with the star burst effect. thanks for the review.

:thumbright:

Master

Great review! Thanks for your thoughts on it.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Nice review and one cool watch :bounce:

Interesting read thanks, I'm thinking I need an Eco-Drive in my collection :D

looks very nice !

Great watch and review, I had something similar Citizen BJ2115, it was great and girls likes it :mrgreen: