closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Oris Diver versus Omega PO

Oris Diver versus Omega PO

Dear All,

My brother is still umming and ahhing about his 40th birthday present to himself but has whittled it down to either an Oris Diver or an old-style Omega PO.
    He says that the PO is £1200 more and therefore has asked me to ask you,

What will he be getting for the extra outlay of £1200?

I personally would go for the PO but what do you think?

Thanks

Mike Seal

Re: Oris Diver versus Omega PO

Quote Originally Posted by Batonman
    Dear All,

My brother is still umming and ahhing about his 40th birthday present to himself but has whittled it down to either an Oris Diver or an old-style Omega PO.
    He says that the PO is £1200 more and therefore has asked me to ask you,

What will he be getting for the extra outlay of £1200?

I personally would go for the PO but what do you think?

Thanks

Mike Seal
    Does the PO have a coaxial movement? I like Oris, especially the regulator divers. However, suspect that it would be easier to sell the Omega if he ever got bored of it and the residuals might be better.

Not sure he would sell it later as it is a 40th present.
    As for co-axial, answer hopefully coming soon.......

Mike

Master
    Right Behind You Laughing ! A proud Yorkshire man too :)

If he is not a watch nut....

And you say he wont sell it...

Tell him to buy what he likes , He will be the one wearing it...

The are both good watches , Oris is underrated imho..

Craftsman

Planet Ocean for me, it just has a little more kudos.

He's not a watch nut but I think he might like to be, therefore, will he regret buying the Oris later?
    Thanks for the answers so far - by the way, the PO is the co-axial......does that sway it at all?

Mike

Both are good watches, I looked at an Oris diver a couple of weeks ago, and was impressed. Very underrated IMO.

I own an older style PO, have done for 5 years. A great watch, which I can't see myself selling. It is a co-axial 2500 movement, not the newer all singing all dancing 8500 in house, but mine has been excellent. In answer to the 'what do you get for £1200 more'.... Well, mainly the name, I can't comment on the quality side of the Oris in comparison to the Omega, but I found the PO very well made. Also, as mentioned earlier, it will probably retain it's resale value pretty well.

All in all, it depends which one sings to him. Try them both on together, and whichever he chooses he won't go wrong.

Ash

Here is another thought!
    Would the Oris be suitable as a watch to wear with Swimming trunks, jeans or a suit? I can see the PO doing that role perfectly but not the Oris.
    Just my 2p......

Mike

Craftsman

Here is another thought!
    Would the Oris be suitable as a watch to wear with Swimming trunks, jeans or a suit? I can see the PO doing that role perfectly but not the Oris.
    Just my 2p......

Mike
    The PO well serves all purposes. I am usually wearing it to office on Fridays. The PO will be once a classic watch, the Oris...well I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by EliStone
    Here is another thought!
    Just my 2p......

Mike
    The PO well serves all purposes. I am usually wearing it to office on Fridays. The PO will be once a classic watch, the Oris...well I doubt it.
    I looked at a few Orisi (is that the plural of Oris??) yesterday. They all looked very well made and i was impressed by the finish. All were based on the 7750 movement (I think, though I'm no expert) and I was tempted but settled on a Tissot Sea-Touch as it was an offer too good to turn down.

Personally I would go for the Oris as I think it will be better value for money (if he decides to keep it) but I have two Omegas and no Orisi so what do I know?

Here is another thought!
    Just my 2p......

Mike
    Now, you see, that was what I thought!
    But then it isn't my money and I can't exactly goad him in one direction or another, can I????

Mike

Here is another thought!
    Just my 2p......

Mike
    Now, you see, that was what I thought!
    But then it isn't my money and I can't exactly goad him in one direction or another, can I????

Mike
    I'd disagree. I don't have a PO any more, but I still have a SMP, SMPC and two SM300's, as well as two Oris Date Divers, a Carlos Coste and a couple of Oris dress watches. SM300, SMP and both Date Divers work well with suits and casual, but the CC and the SMPC are both a little bulky.

I get lots of comments on the Carlos because of it's size, but none of the other Ori (the correct term for multiple Oris's. I bet) attracts any comment, all of the Seamaster's do, but I suspect that's only because they are Omega's and people recognise the name. So, more Kudos, definitely, but I love the understatement of the Date Diver, which is every bit as good a watch, costs a fraction of the money and nobody ever assumes is a fake.

The PO is possibly going to make him feel slightly more special.

His call ultimately, but my vote would be for either.

Craftsman

Oris Diver versus Omega PO

Both are good watches, so it really depends which he likes more. The Omega has a better movement and a better brand name, if those matter to him. They look quite different and I think the PO is more classic and versatile. I doubt there is much between them in actual build quality.

If it was his 39th birthday I would go for the Oris, but because it is his 40th I think he should go for the Planet Ocean.

Oris divers are great vfm and you can get the Oris rubber for about £60 new IIRC. I even had a custom leather croc for mine......so bracelet, rubber and leather covers all the bases and still leaves a stack of cash compared to the Omega. I have owned both and think Oris are underrated in the UK.

I'd go for the Oris. I think the Omega is a better watch in terms of co-ax movement, gravitas etc....but I'd still go for the Oris.

Thanks to all for your thoughts - he has read them and still umming and ahhing!!
    I'm sure he will get there this week - when he does, I'll let you know what he got and tell him to take a photo of his choice

Mike

He needs to be honest with himself - how does each make him feel ?

It really shouldn't be underplayed, as whether rational or not, the brand is likely to have a subconscious affect.

I agree that Oris offer excellent VFM, but I see them as a stepping stone brand on the path to appreciation (or gullibility depending on how you see it) for 'higher end' pieces.

So for that reason, I'd say go for the one that makes him feel best.

And if it's the Omega, then that's the justification for the additional cost.

Reassuringly expensive can be a reality, which is how all the manufacturers keep getting away with their constant price rises. Luxury goods play by different rules.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenw

It really shouldn't be underplayed, as whether rational or not, the brand is likely to have a subconscious affect.

I agree that Oris offer excellent VFM, but I see them as a stepping stone brand on the path to appreciation (or gullibility depending on how you see it) for 'higher end' pieces.

Reassuringly expensive can be a reality, which is how all the manufacturers keep getting away with their constant price rises. Luxury goods play by different rules.
    A very well written and thought out post - thank you. Totally agree......

Mike

The watch snob in me says PO & the Omega with all its Bond & celeb connections will be more acknowledged by the non WIS masses. I know that this shouldn't be a consideration but in the real world but when spending these amounts on a watch it does. My opinion for what it is worth is that the Po is in a different league both in quality, fit & finish & movement & has again IMHO one of the best bracelets ever put on a watch.

I ve owned both and I think the Oris divers are great value and very well made but the only thing that used to bug me about mine was the strap and the fact your very limited in what straps you can put on it.The planet ocean on the other hand pure class and the smoothest winding watch i have ever had.

For a memorable occasion such as a 40th, I would suggest the Omega rather than the Oris.

I bought two Oris watches when I started my interest in mechanical watches 4 years ago, and I then moved onto an Omega SMP followed by a Rolex SD. I now hardly ever wear my Oris watches, I am sure partly as my tastes have evolved since the outset. Oris watches are well made and represent good value for money in the luxury watch arena. However, I definitely see them as less special than my SMP or SD, and I am sure this also influences my daily wear routine.

Oris?
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

I have bought an Omega (not a PO to be fair) and an Oris from SC.

The Oris gets way more wrist time.

Really rate the Oris very highly.

I would suggest the Omega, but I am Omega fan :mrgreen:

I'd have the PO - nothing wrong with the Oris but the Omega is in a higher league and you get more for your money - he could always buy a used Oris and save a fortune - but a nee one will lose around 50% as soon as it is out of the shop and will not rise substantially in price over the years, whereas popular Omega watches will always have a better following - for a 40th there would be no doubt in my mind - I got a Cartier and ended up using the cash generated form the sale to acquire a 14060 Sub, which for a 40th I think is the perfect present - but I do quite like the PO's - I did choose to collect the 300m SMP's instead though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darrenw

A very well written and thought out post - thank you. Totally agree......

Mike
    +1
    What he said. ;-)

Used to have 2 Oris 1000m titanium divers. Both great watches for the money, but if I could afford a PO, I would definitely go for that!

Just hold an Oris Diver and turn the bezel........Then do the same on a PO

I love Oris, but the PO walks over the oris, the build qualilty if far better on the PO

Just my opinion of course, re-sale will be better as well as others have said.

Perhaps he should try both on and see what he thinks of them without the weight of the brand to cloud the issue. Both are great watches, but if he intends to keep it as a birthday gift then the worry of residuals etc should not be so much of an issue.

I do like POs but also the previous Seamaster professional "Bond" watch - SM300 - is a great watch and if bought used might be a better comparisson to Oris, they are great value and very well built.

Good luck anyway -he's narrowed it down to two good brands, whatever the outcome :)

I ove the PO, it's just one of the classics. I wouldn't have thought the price difference would have been that much if he bought used?

definitely the PO i have both and the PO is alot better made and an excellant time keeper. also has more of a wow factor than oris even though i still love my oris

Brilliant replies - thanks to you all.
    Seems he has a difficult decision but the PO is winning.......

Mike

For value the head would choose the Oris, for brand & kudos the heart would choose the Omega. Honestly though if it was me choosing the only way I would be able to make the decision would be to go and try both watches on and then make my decision as I find they are often very different on the flesh and on the wrist to what you might think, and as someone else mentioned how they make you feel when wearing them is important and again not always what you expect.

All in all though a nice 'decision' to have to make, best of luck with it.

PO for me. I tried on a couple of Ori a few months back, no wow factor for me sorry :( Now if he was thinking Doxa or Bremont v a PO that would be a much harder vote :)