closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panerai PAM025 or a Rolex Sub with date

Panerai PAM025 or a Rolex Sub with date

Hi Guys,

up until recently i was determined to get a Rolex sub with date..... but i find myself becoming more a Panerai fan especially after seeing a lovely PAM025 in SC!!!

As both are sort of around the same price which one would you guys reccomend for quality and possibly resaleable value in the future?

Or is it really just down to personal preference only?

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Panerai PAM025 or a Rolex Sub with date

I'd say Rolex Sub.....

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by cirotti
    I'd say Rolex Sub.....
    Given that choice...Sub!

Cheers guys but for what reason?

personal taste or is there a big difference in quality???

Rambo wears a Panerai you know!!!! :lol: :P

I love the look of Panerai but id rather own a Sub long term. Maybe try the Panerai for a while to get it out of your system.

i have the pam24 and i love it but i wouldn't hesitate to own the rolex also. i prefer the ND sub though.

given your requirements, go for the rolex. get both if you can

Go for a Rolex. In my opinion Panerai should be simple uncomplicated manual wind watches. If you are looking for automatic and date the 16610 is the way to go! :wink:

Rolex Sub - uses the quality is higher on the sub. The in-house movement is arguably much better and certain has more esteem - the Rolex is the more comfortable watch to wear - unless you have large wrists and a selection of butter soft straps - the sub goes with almost anything.

To me one is timeless and the other is all right.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by mc5
    I love the look of Panerai but id rather own a Sub long term. Maybe try the Panerai for a while to get it out of your system.
    got to agree with this i had a pam 328 for 2 years and sold it on here when someone put up a WTB i replaced it with a expII 42mm which for me is a keeper, but when i bought the pam i also tried on a DSSD but went with the panerai and i think if i had gone rolex back then i would still have a panerai itch that would need scratching :lol:
    although if i had gone rolex i would have been better off financially :(

The Panerai 25 Ti would be my choice. The sub is a fantastic watch but can be added to the collection at any time so i would give the Pammy a go & if you don't get on with it a sub will always be easier to find to replace it.

Depends what you want the watch for?

The Sub is a classic and goes with just about everything from shorts and flip-flops up to black tie and has the advantage of the bracelet or wear on a Nato / Rubber B / strap (looks rubbish on a strap IMHO but plenty like it). The Panerai to me is casual wear only due to it's size but looks great on the OEM rubber or the multitude of straps that are available but there is no bracelet option. The Sub also gets the Rolex name on your wrist but only you can decide if that's a good or bad thing - some may disagree with me here but beyond WIS and City Boys not many people have heard of Panerai which again you may find an advantage or a disadvantage.

I own both (albeit the Panerai is a 024 rather than a 025 as I prefer the flat face over the hobnail) and to me the Sub offers far more versatility, wears more comfortably, and offers a in-house movement as against a 7750 - that said the Panerai is a great casual wear watch if you've got the wrists to pull it off.

Again personal choice - but if you go the sub I think the 16610 is a lot nicer than the SubC.

Master

I have a Rolex gmt ceramic and a Pam 24, I don't think you can compare the two as they are very very different

I find I wear the Rolex for work ( wear a suit) and the Pam for casual. If I had to have to choose the Rolex would win simply because it is far more versatile and can dress up or down. The submersible is limited due to its heft and aggressive styling IMO

Cheers Guys :-)

I have quite large wrists so either should be ok :-)

I guess the Rolex SD is another one to consider aswell!!

Quote Originally Posted by markyd3
    Cheers Guys :-)

I have quite large wrists so either should be ok :-)

I guess the Rolex SD is another one to consider aswell!!

LOL - now you have no competition - the SD wins and will be the best buy all round, not that it matters - but as a long term prospect when the 1665's are completely out of reach and then the 16660 matt dials go higher the 16600 will be the only semi affordable Sea-Dweller left.
    It's just a matter of time...

I would go with Rolex!

Completely different watches.

Either Rolex would be a far better everyday all rounder to the PAM, but it depends on if you want from it.

I've a PAM025 which I love as a weekend watch and typically wear on a Gasgasbones wide velcro.

But I've also a 5513 which can be worn with a suit or jeans.

Different watches, for different situations/moods.

Yes, they are very different watches. They're both dive watches, but it's apples and oranges. A Sub is really an all-purpose, all-occasions watch whereas a PAM doesn't really suit formal wear IMO (although that isn't to say people don't wear them for work - but it's a bit "City-boy" for me).

In terms of case/dial quality they are very close IMO. In terms of movement the Rolex is going to be more robust and reliable. In terms of resale again the Sub is better.

Without wanting to sound like a terrible 'risti, the strap change with PAM's really is great fun and adds a whole new dimension to the watch.

What you could do is buy a used Sub, and if you still lust after the PAM, you could flip it for one at very little cost.

Craftsman

For me the sub is a truly iconic watch while the Pam ist just a temporary fashion thing.

Grand Master

Both superb, but the Rolex would win for me albeit I would have to lob the cyclops off it
    RIAC

sub :)

Craftsman

Sub

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    Both superb, but the Rolex would win for me albeit I would have to lob the cyclops off it
    That would be like knocking the cherry off your ice cream sunday...

Quote Originally Posted by EliStone
    For me the sub is a truly iconic watch while the Pam ist just a temporary fashion thing.
    I think Panerai have gone beyong the "temporary fashion thing" as they have been around (the mainstream) for about 15 years!

I have a Rolex (5513) and 2 Panerai (111 + 232), and if the Baliff was knocking on the door, the Rolex would be the first one of these to go. So, it's the Pam25 for me.

I would go for the Sub too, but i have to disagree with some replies above that the sub is suitable for every situation incl. Black tie....imho the Panerai is equally suitable for that situation...both are not!

Banned

Yep, Rolex.

After having owned various Rolexes I made a sidestep to a Pam024 and in the beginning like it a lot however after two months I sold it and bought a Rolex again. I simply could not get the seem emotion from a PAM.

Cheers,

Marc

I'd go for the Rolex on this one, unless you're insanely in love with the large look of the Panny...

My vote is for Sub, are much more universal than PAM. But if you have arms like Rambo, PAM will be the only one choice :lol:

Master

I have a 312 that I wear with everything, I don't think you need to draw lines between what watch works with what attire. There are other factors such as size that come into play! I'm 6'3" and built (as other people would say) like a brick out house. Small dress watches look ridiculous on me, whereas the 312 looks great, just change the strap to match the occaision :wink:

Oh, and Monday to Friday I wear a suit :wink: