closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Retirement Watch.

Master

Retirement Watch.

I will be retiring from the Army on 14th June of this year :cry: and have always fancied an Omega.

The problem I have is:

1.Do I buy from an AD.

OR

2.Buy a good second hand one.

Assistance would be nice and what would even nicer would be a few piccies to give me more of an idea.

Ta.

Banned

Re: Retirement Watch.

Congrats on the end of service Jon 8)

Unless you want vintage, or a model which isn't in the current line up, you can get 20% off the RRP easily so for a special piece to keep, I'd buy new mate.

Master

Cheers Mr B. Thats another beer I owe you. :)

I must say that it is all down to budget really. If you can afford it buy new especially if you are keeping it long term as you know then the full history of the watch, which you never really know on a used one. I must say if you dont mind me recommending a watch the new Rolex Explorer 2 is a very nice piece :D

Personally I would buy second hand but thats because if I bought new id be horrified if it were to get marked but thats just me, but I honestly think you deserve to treat yourself and congratulations on your service to this country

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dec
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG
    I will be retiring from the Army on 14th June of this year :cry: and have always fancied an Omega.

The problem I have is:

1.Do I buy from an AD.

OR

Assistance would be nice and what would even nicer would be a few piccies to give me more of an idea.

what do you do in the army mate? Looking to join up soon myself as an avionics tech, waiting list is ridiculous though! As for the watch, cant help :mrgreen:

Ta.

I work for a branch which has connections to the Royal Military Police ( not the S.I.B ). All the best for future, whatever you decide to do.

Master
    Right Behind You Laughing ! A proud Yorkshire man too :)

Really i think this is up to you to decide tbh chap....

If you dont have a case full of big hitters , And know its going to be a keeper....

And if you have the money , I would buy new.......

If it's just another to stick in a box hide away and never wear...

I gues SH Is an ok way to go.

Hmmmmm I was alot of help eahy :lol:

Congrat's anyways i tip my hat to you Sir :wink:

Just should be given one on retirement tbh ,
    Well done on your service to our country ,
    A special purchase like that should be new imo

Banned
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure what the right answer is. Most probably it's totally down to you and your feelings about secod hand items, but for me, I would buy a nearly new one just because you could buy one that's just as good, under warranty an save a grand. And let's face it, once you have worn it for a month it will be in exactly the same condition and you won't have the disappointment of having scratched your new shiny watch.

Master
    Right Behind You Laughing ! A proud Yorkshire man too :)

Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen
    I'm not sure what the right answer is. Most probably it's totally down to you and your feelings about secod hand items, but for me, I would buy a nearly new one just because you could buy one that's just as good, under warranty an save a grand. And let's face it, once you have worn it for a month it will be in exactly the same condition and you won't have the disappointment of having scratched your new shiny watch.
    Very good point , Why throw it away :wink:

I would pre-owned and as new and as mint as possible - this is a way of getting a modern Omega for around 40% off list instead of maybe 20-25% - that 15% extra is a lot and would cover your first service in 5-7 years time.

Effectively if you are buying from someone who bought from a European main AD you have the same watch you would have bought new. Unlike Rolex the Omega cards do not name the buyer, so there is no issue of you having papers with someone elses name on them either.

Good look - I think you have made a great choice in brands - not much comes close for the money.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman

I know a guy that can get 40% off, I'll email him to see if he still can on Monday.

If I were in your shoes and had the funds I'd buy new - the watch will be a keeper, you can pick the exact model you want, you don't have to clean someone elses crud out of it before wearing and you get the whole AD experience of them fawning over you with coffees and calling you "sir" ... make a day of it with a look around a few ADs / Omega boutique, slap up meal and maybe a night in a hotel with the missus and you've got a great start to your retirement :)

Congratulations :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat
    If I were in your shoes and had the funds I'd buy new - the watch will be a keeper, you can pick the exact model you want, you don't have to clean someone elses crud out of it before wearing and you get the whole AD experience of them fawning over you with coffees and calling you "sir" ... make a day of it with a look around a few ADs / Omega boutique, slap up meal and maybe a night in a hotel with the missus and you've got a great start to your retirement :)

That sounds like the way to go if I was you :)

Quote Originally Posted by ADRIAN554

That sounds like the way to go if I was you :)
    +1

Which model you after?

Craftsman

MADDOG treat yourself to a full AD experience, get some of the old scroats on here to get a good deal for you, and end the afternoon on a liquid GTG 8)

I agree. If it's a landmark piece and a keeper, new does make it a little more special - but get as good a deal as you can.

Which models are calling to you?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by robcat

I agree. If it's a landmark piece and a keeper, new does make it a little more special - but get as good a deal as you can.

Which models are calling to you?[/quote]

Good question,well presented, I have no idea as I've never owned a valuable watch.

I would always buy used, but then again I've never retired. Just this once, I'd say go new!

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG

The problem I have is:

1.Do I buy from an AD.

OR

Ta.
    New. Used watches are great when you just buy one, but for a very-very special occasion you might want a new.

Good question,well presented, I have no idea as I've never owned a valuable watch.
    My preferences would either be a Speedy or a Planet Ocean. The Speedy is classic, the PO a thoroughly modern sports watch.

+1

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne
    I would always buy used, but then again I've never retired. Just this once, I'd say go new!
    Had the exact same thought.....for a very special occasion i can see myaelf buyong new.

Master
    Blog Entries

Congrats on your impending retirement. I would buy new to mark that important milestone in your life.

:D

Craftsman

If you know someone that's in a NATO post at the moment, you could get them to buy it new and get the tax off plus a discount :lol:

Can't bring myself to type 'new'. After all, if you pick up a used watch for your budget you should end up with something even lovelier than you could buy new. Factor in the cost of a service and a polish and it will come back looking and feeling like new.

Master

Go for a NOS and save the deprciation. That said always nice to be the first person to own a brand new anything.....watch or car :mrgreen:

Firstly, congratulations on your retirement.

It's a tough one - ideally, as it's a really special present to yourself, and for that reason a "keeper" the obvious answer would be to buy new. As others have said, enjoy the full AD experience and fawning, and come away with the watch that you really wanted, and with a warranty.

Or get more for your money by buying secondhand? Tricky, because the choice is by definition more limited, and depending on where you buy from, you may not get a warranty.

There is a third option - if you look at dealers such as Blowers, they often have watches which are unworn, at reasonable savings over new. And usually the documents are undated, so you get a full warranty.

Otherwise, enjoy the experience.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne
    + 1

Congrats and enjoy your retirement.. :bounce: :bounce:

Buy new, I take it you did your full 22 in which case you should get a tidy lump sump