closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Got the modding bug

Got the modding bug

Having loved watches for a long time, I have always wondered why manufacturers didn't do things slightly differently; different dials, different coloured hands, so on so forth.

Then I came across CardShark's epic (http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=164648)odyssey to modify a SKX009 and I was inspired.

I ended up harassing him incessantly, emailed Jay at Motor City Watch Works about a 100 times and even Harold and Jake @ 10watches got quizzed over and over.

I was going to use one of my SKXs (got a 007 and a 009) but use them regularly and didn't want to be without. I then found a pristine 009 on SC which I quickly acquired.

I finally decided on a dial, bezel, hands, chapter ring and crystal. I was so confused by this point that I almost gave up!!! I then got chatting with Jay at MCWW (top bloke by the way!) and decided I wanted the dial and hands relumed blue. This turned out to be a small problem as his relumer was so far behind work, he had stopped using him!

A few posts on here did help and I got in touch with Angelo (on here) and another chap, Dimitris http://relume.watcheswithnolimits.com/ for some quotes and turn around times. Both were courteous and helpful but Dimitris was more prompt and got my work in the end. I'm waiting for him to send the bits back. Turn around time is an impressive 10 days. I will report back on the quality of work when I receive the bits.

Some pics of the bits I have decided on:

Watch:

Dial and hands:

Relumed dial and hands:

Bezel: I'm sorry for the lens cover; it was the only I could get the damn camera to auto focus!!!

Chapter ring: Ditto about the lens cover

Crystal:

Just when I thought I had everything, I saw a FS thread of a Seiko with a day/ date dial with white lettering on a black background. Back I went to harass everyone and fortunately, Harold came through!

Now, everything apart from dials and hands are packed and ready to go to Jay @ MCWW for ceramic coating and assembly. All I have to do then is choose the right strap and I'm good to go!

Master

Re: Got the modding bug

Great post, can't wait to see the finished result. Very brave. Good luck with it. Regards. Kev

Good to see you finally got your bits together, and I'm glad I could help out where I could :)

Is that an orange or red ring that you've gone for? And what colour cerakote is Jay doing for you? Liking the blue lume as well!

Master

That's looking good. Ideas flooding in! :lol:
    Mike

The lume on the hands looks great, nice & neat. Well done! I don't think I'd have the steadiness of hand or patience for this.

Look forwarding to seeing how this progresses.

Mike

Thanks for all the comments guys. I'll keep this thread updated from time to time. :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark
    Good to see you finally got your bits together, and I'm glad I could help out where I could :)

Is that an orange or red ring that you've gone for? And what colour cerakote is Jay doing for you? Liking the blue lume as well!
    Stuart, that;s a red chapter ring. I'm not sure of what colour to go for; part of me likes sniper gray but then I see the all black and want that too. Decisions, decisions. :D

Nice! I'd like to try modding one day.

Quick update:

Received my hands and dial from the relumer and wow! I am so impressed with the work and the fact that it was back with me in 2 weeks! Watch and bits now off to Jay at MCWW for him to work his magic. The long wait begins.....

How long did he quote, Rishie? Good to hear about the lume job as well, sounds like it turned out well!

The standard 13 weeks. :( He did say he had a week off coming up so it may be quicker.

I should not have come in here.....

....Just read Cardsharks thread too.....

............uh oh..........

Lovely! Looking forward to seeing yours (oh er!) now! I like the red text on your dial....

If you don't mind me asking....wahts the total cost of the build do you estimate?

Grand Master

Im always facinated by the time and patience people take to do such stuff, Im crap with the intricacy of watches but ok with bigger project
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Pleiades81
    I should not have come in here.....

....Just read Cardsharks thread too.....

............uh oh..........

Lovely! Looking forward to seeing yours (oh er!) now! I like the red text on your dial....

If you don't mind me asking....wahts the total cost of the build do you estimate?
    Erm....I'm trying my best not to tot the cost up. Please don't make me. Please. :shock:

glad you like my relume work on your dial :)

Thanks Dimitris. :D I'm sorry, I got your name mixed up. D'oh!

btw , i did apply 3 coats of lume :)

Journeyman

Is it done yet?
    I love the relume!
    :bounce:

That looks like a fun project. I love the new lume job.

Unfortunately not chaps. :(

Hopefully by February.... :bounce:

Should've another project ready before then! :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by Rishie
    Unfortunately not chaps. :(

Hopefully by February.... :bounce:

Should've another project ready before then! :mrgreen:

before February :)

I would love to try modding , looking forward to the finished result

It's ready and in the country!

Got a picture but can't upload off this rubbish device. Interestingly, I've got a customs bill for £43 for it which I am quite surprised by. I supplied all parts and the watch from here. Can you get charged import VAT on labour? :twisted:

I'll take some nice pics when it's in my hands.

I'll take some nice pics when it's in my hands.
    Looking forward to seeing those pic's.

Best

Den

Interestingly, I've got a customs bill for £43 for it which I am quite surprised by. I supplied all parts and the watch from here. Can you get charged import VAT on labour? :twisted:.
    Yes they can unfortunately. I sent a rev counter back to the US to be repaired. The repair was £12 (labour was free as it was under warranty but it had got wet), but for some reason they expedited the shipping back to me at £65. I was then charged VAT on the repair and shipping cost, as apparently if you send goods to be repaired or modified outside the UK, even if it is under the normal VAT threshold (was £18, I think it is £15 now) you are liable for VAT.

If i had said it was just a rev counter in the package rather than saying it was for repair I wouldn't have had to pay anything.

Got the modding bug

Looking forward to seeing the pics. Love those lumed hands.

Jay did a superb job with my mod, looking forward to seeing how this one has come together :)

Well, it's here. Strap all loaded up and some pictures. Not quite sure I've done the best job with the pictures... :roll:

One of the domed crystal. It looks superb and has a blue sheen to it. Really love it!

Another one of the crystal and the hands.

The back...

And a lume shot.

The pictures really don't do it justice.The tog, unfortunately is the weak link. I'll have a play on the weekend and see if I can do better. In fact the pictures are pretty poor.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased. The work on the watch feels good and it looks superb. I'm not a 100% sure on the strap though; any suggestions?

Really, really like that - loving the overall colour scheme. Now you have me thinking of another project, even though I've not finished the two I have here now!!

Was the case coating particuarly expensive?

Craftsman

:shock: what a nice watch! Although I think the hour hand doesn't fit the minutes hand...it still is one of the best modding examples I have seen lately!

[quote="Rishie"]Well, it's here. Strap all loaded up and some pictures. Not quite sure I've done the best job with the pictures... :roll:

I like this shot, blurred watch with a sharp strap

a bit different

nice work

Nick

I really like that, it looks very good with a lot of thought gone into it. :thumbright:

great mod - the watch looks ace!