closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smiths W10 Project Update - maybe with pics, certainly gushy

Smiths W10 Project Update - maybe with pics, certainly gushy

I got a Smiths W10 from Gunscrossed about a month back. Hopefully the photos will come through and show how the project is coming on.

Before

[/img]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k320/Kamraj_2006/P1010016.jpg[img]

After
    [/img]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k320/Kamraj_2006/IMG_0037.jpg[img]

I've already said how a watchmaker was able to get it running in a jiffy. Thank you Gunscrossed for the accurate description.

I thought about sending it to Bry for relume work, but he had a few lume troubles at the time, so I asked Gunscrossed to send it to me in Malaysia. The watchmakers said they could only relume it to look new. That very day, I got back to my computer to find a PM out of the blue from Bry, who pointed me in the direction of Jack Wong in Singapore, as a man who could do vintage relumes. Thank you Bry for volunteering information with no possible benefit to yourself, and for offering to send me vintage lume.

So I sent it Jack Wong a week ago, and got it back today. Thank you Jack for a job well done.

And a last thank you, to Eddie, for running this wonderful place. I now have a watch which I treasure, at a price no-one would consider exorbitant, thanks almost wholly to this forum. OK, end of gush, before I start thanking Smiths for building it, MoD for ordering it, the goldfish for being ... the fish!

Kamraj[/img]

Re: Smiths W10 Project Update - maybe with pics, certainly g

Ah, the fun I had with images when I started posting. Allow me. (You had the tags the wrong way round - the forward slash one closes the tag...

Quote Originally Posted by Kamraj

Before

After

Master
    Lookin' good. Nice job!
    Cheers,
    Bruce

Nice job Kamraj, that looks really good. :D :D
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Excellent work and I like the lume colour.

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    That's a bloody nice watch :D

Master
    Well done Kamraj, looks good and the best bits are hidden inside the case, I love the Smiths movements.

Peter

That's a fantastic piece. Wear it in good health!

Bernard

Qatar-wol, thanks for that!

Davide, yes, I love the lume as well. In fact, I'm off to find somewhere dark so I can see if it works :) I can heartily recommend Jack Wong to anyone in the area who needs vintage lume done - he tells me its some sort of secret process of his :shock: I think he and Bry are part of some ultra-deep-cover Ancient and Venerable Lume-Works Guild, its mission to shine the light into the darkness, its motto "fiat luminova" :wink:

Kamraj

Superb work - you have an absolute classic there!

Apprentice
    Looks fantastic! He really kept the vintage look.

Thank you Kamraj for giving me the opportunity to own this beatiful timeless beauty for a couple of days before I work on it then sent it back to you!

I am truly happy and it definitely feels good to have someone appeciating my work.

Look forward for any future relume/ restoration job from you!

At your service,
    Jack W

Hi Jack,

good to see you here. I was so pleased with the watch that I forgot to add that you also got rid of the almost invisible glossy patch on the dail at seven. Now to see if it can be regulated and whether I'll wear it regularly or keep it as a dress watch for poncey occasions.

Kamraj

Master
    Blog Entries
    Excellent Kamraj,

Good to see you got the watch sorted 8)

Good work Jack :D

Bry,

glad you like the work! The watch is back in the workshop, as the feller who got it running again said it was actually stopping intermittently (I think) and hence too slow for mere regulation. Hopefully all will be well. I think I'd still love it even if it didn't keep time :lol:

Further update

Just to say that I got my Smiths back yesterday - it looks the same, wearing it on a grey Nato from Eddie, alternating that with the brown unstuck aviator. So far it keeps time, after I collected it from the watchmaker I found it no longer hacked, took it back today and it does, sounds as loud as ever, so hopefully he hasn't swapped movements on me :lol:

So I reckon that this project can be called closed, and I'm a :D bunny.

Kamraj

edit: ps, does anyone know if the W10 is anti-magnetic? There's a dust-cover inside, but I'm not sure what that, or the dial, is made of.

K

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    Hi,

I find it hard to believe that a watch intended for militaary and aviation use would not be antimagnetic. I can't find the military specification, but I'm pretty sure it will be, in line with other military watches of the era.

Here's an article about the W10 with some fabulous pictures.

http://ninanet.net/watches/others10/Med ... miths.html

Grand Master

Re: Further update

Quote Originally Posted by Kamraj
    edit: ps, does anyone know if the W10 is anti-magnetic? There's a dust-cover inside, but I'm not sure what that, or the dial, is made of.
    The Mark 11 were required to be antimagnetic to 12,000 A/m.

This requirement has now been lowered. Even the "navigational" G10s in use by the RAF only boast 4,800 A/m, the same as the ISO norm. Apparently the higher requirement was necessitated at the end of WWII due to some special radar equipment, and the problem was not considered as grave later on.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Doug, Martin,

thanks for that. I did some googling and came up with this

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/A-GUIDE-TO-BU ... 0001402028

It says "on the late model mil-issue, it has an anti-magnetic inner case and dial" but that's about as clear as it gets. Generally seems a well-researched and thought-out piece to me. My own suspicion is that given the relatively late production date the bog standard 4,800 a/m could be achieved with just an anti-magnetic spring, and that the "inner case" (which for the Smiths W10 looks to be just a tin cup with a slot for the crown stem, not spring loaded or otherwise secured) is a dust cover only, or perhaps just a spacer ring.

Kamraj