closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Newbie to forum - Hello

Journeyman

Newbie to forum - Hello

Hi, I'm new to all this watch talk, so go easy on me and I certainly can't take pictures to save my life at the moment.
    I have sort of appreciated watches for the last 20 odd years but never really got passed the, i like that, i want one of those stages.
    It started when I was 16 with a Omega Constellation, nearly went for a basic TAG F1 but thought they looked a bit cheap and got the Omega for a good price.
    Later on at the age of about 25 I had some spare cash in my pocket and purchased a Omega Speedmaster Pro from probably about the 80's from a dealer in Brighton, paid about £700 for it, bit tatty, but I loved it, unfortunatly I didn't love it as much as I should of and soon sold it to help buy a car. Regretted it ever since.

Onto the current collection:

10 years ago I got this Citizen Diver after seeing some divers with them while on holiday in Greece,

It has served me well only needing a battery and a new Seiko copy strap. This is now the holiday watch of choice.

Well I moved onto a Tissot T-Touch Navigator, which a friend pestered me to sell to him, so that got disposed of. A Seatouch caught my eye when they appeared a few years back and this is when the interest started properly.

I work with Robertf from this forum and he had some Seiko's and was starting to flip them. He suggested buying second hand rather than new, so I picked up a Seiko chronograph instead of a Tissot, which I am unable to remember which model. Liked it but same friend who bought the Tissot, you've guessed it, twisted my arm once again.

Back to Robertf to see what he had left, so a Seiko diver and the following 6139 came inbound:

Now the 6139 I really do like, but hardly wear. I seem to be a destroyer of watches and just don't trust myself with this one very often. My step father has a sunburst dial from 1975 I think and have always loved it. My one I believe is a June 1970 model. I think it is fairly untouched and correct, strap being replaced with, I think, new old stock at some point.

An Omega divers itch had to be scratched last year, I looked around, but funds were low as house moving and other priorities seem to win the fight for my wallet. In the end, with a little help from Rob (I wasn't on here at the time), I did a deal with the Seiko diver for an Oris diver:

This is one of my daily's that I wear and enjoy a lot, I was going to trade up to a Seamaster at some point, but just don't see the point anymore.

Last Christmas my Step Father was kind enough to give me the following after seeing it in a shop in Skiathos when I was visiting him a couple of years ago. I loved the watch and just couldn't afford it while on holiday. I didn't know at the time, but as soon as the Misses and I returned home, he popped in the shop to buy it. It just took him nearly 2 years to get round to give it to me. I love the chunky feel and look and joins my Oris as a daily watch, nice that I can flip straps once in a while (though the Red doesn't get much time). I realise to many this is a "cheap toy" watch, but it doesn't have to be expensive or flashy for me to like some watches.

While I realise the Citizen and the Nautica are probably not much liked on here, I hope to step up the ladder to some more interesting stuff. On my future wishlist is a Speedmaster Pro, Rolex Sub and maybe if the stars allign a TAG Heure Monco, but we will see.

Thanks for looking.

Re: Newbie to forum - Hello

Hello and welcome to the forum - got some nice ones there :) Love the 6139 !

Journeyman

Not quite a watch, but I thought it would be of interest. I got one of these in a Charity auction at work. Wasn't expecting to get it with the bid I put in, but did.

Was going to chuck it for sale but it grew on me and I now like it. Though the Misses's Top Gun jokes are wearing thin.

Welcome, and what a nice introduction that is.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman

welcome and enjoy your stay

Hello to you. :) I see that you've already made a good start to the hobby.

Blog Entries

Welcome and Enjoy

Pitch

Blog Entries

Great intro post, nice collection - welcome and enjoy!

Rob

Craftsman

Welcome indeed! Pity you had to sell that Speedy Pro, but I'm sure you'll be reaquainted with one again!

A very warm welcome to ya :wink:

A great introduction and some nice watches 8)

Enjoy the forum.

PS..Citizen are a great watch IMO, they punch way above their price tag 8)

Journeyman

Thanks everyone. I am a bit fustrated that I can't talk 'Watch' at the moment. I am a member of quite a few car forums and am a complete petrol head.

This is the first time I have joined a forum that I really don't have much to say. I noticed there are some other car lovers on here and am also just getting back into Hifi stuff, though on a budget, as I have just picked up a original british made Audiolab 8000S amp and a 8000SX power amp.

Currently my 5 cars are being reduced to 2 so might have enough to get back into Speedy ownership soon.

Blog Entries

What ho Simon! You will enjoy it on here. :D

Welcome to the fun :D

Welcome, watches are easier to hide from the wife than cars :lol:

Master

Great intro Simon, welcome to the family!

Good morning to you. Welcome to the forum.
    F.T.F.A.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Hi, I just joined up to. Welcome :).

Master
    Right Behind You Laughing ! A proud Yorkshire man too :)

Welcome to TZ Chap :wink:

Enjoy...

Nice intro too.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Welcome!

Welcome to the forum.

Master

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Journeyman

Welcome from another new member:-)

Journeyman

Cheers guys, and hello to all the other newbies.

Good to see you on here Simon. A great forum this, but I'm taking no responsibility for the financial penury being a part of it is likely to cause.

Looking at the 6139 again I half wonder why I sold it. A great design in excellent condition. You should wear it more....

Journeyman

Hi rob,

I'd love to wear it more but the Oris went downhill in about a week of using at work.

Maybe I'll get another strap for it, possibly a NATO would look ok?

Welcome aboard :)

Master

Welcome - and a nice intro. There are still some reasonably priced Speedy Pros around, if you look hard enough, and though not hard to replace if you sell, they seem to me to be the sort of classic that you could pass on to your grandkids in 40 years. 5 cars sound a bit more expensive to run than 5 watches - what do you/did you have?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Simonmac
    sold it to help buy a car. Regretted it ever since.
    Its promising start to show remorse about act that 99,97% of people otside this forum would consider very normal. :D

Welcome to this madness!

-OD

Craftsman

Welcome! Couple of nice watches there

Hi there and welcome to the fun... great opening post!!

Welcome. Great post. Nice jacket by the way - there are some other new members who have joined from a jacket forum so you're not alone on the sartorial front either. Besides, Mr. Cruise approves.

Welcome to the forum -nice collection!

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack
    Welcome - and a nice intro. There are still some reasonably priced Speedy Pros around, if you look hard enough, and though not hard to replace if you sell, they seem to me to be the sort of classic that you could pass on to your grandkids in 40 years. 5 cars sound a bit more expensive to run than 5 watches - what do you/did you have?
    My cars are currently cheapies, my car history reads like a dictionary of cars, so can't list them all, in 20 years of driving I have owned over 100! A Golf IV R32 (not standard with some good track mods), BMW Z3 (standard but just about to be supercharged), A silly horsepower Audi A4 turbo and the misses has a Ford Focus at the moment. Just got rid of Mk1 MX5 last weekend and a Kawasaki ZX7R a few weeks earlier.

The watch was sold for a 2 year old Ford Probe V6 from a dealer after I wrote off a Porsche back in 1999. I was 26 and was told to get something sensible, apparently the parents and the girlfriend meant a Fiesta, I got distracted. Still Fiesta in retrospect would have been a better choice. I made up for it though by selling the Probe not long after for a BMW E30 M3, a true motorsport classic that recently has gone up in price considerably along with Lancia Integrale's.

The 2 things I regret in life: selling the Omega Speedy and selling the M3! (oh and the girlfriend realising I've joined this forum.)