closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: WWW pricing

Craftsman

WWW pricing

I've started working my way to a complete set of WWW watches, a.k.a. the dirty dozen.
    In three months I've bought two of them, probably the most common, a Vertex and a Timor.
    Now I'm just wondering what a 'normal' price would be for a fairly common WWW like a Cyma, Record or Buren. Would it be in the same price range of the Vertex and the Timor? I know the Longines, JLC, IWC and even the Omega (although it's supposed to be quite common... at least thats what some people think) are priced considerably higher. I've stumbled upon a Buren for around 500 EUR which I think is too expensive, am I right!?

Would love to hear the buying experiences of fellow collectors. I've only bought from the SC up till now.

Re: WWW pricing

I would budget something like this:
    (prices in GBP)
    Vertex, Timor, Record, Cyma, Buren: 200-250
    Lemania: 300
    Eterna: 400
    Omega: 400-500 (don't know why, they are quite common and 25000 were delivered. Many redials out there)
    JLC: 850
    Longines: 1000
    IWC: 2000
    Grana: a seller could name a price! Won't be less than 2500

The Buren is not all that common, but still goes for low prices. Ebay prices do sometimes seem all over the place and bear no relationship to the scarcity of each brand (other than the Grana). You may find bargains out there, but they do seem rarer now.
    Good luck with the search. I'm glad I got mine when I did:

Craftsman

Thanks and that's an awesome collection. Is it finished or are you going to complete it with some nato/mod replacement dials?

WWW pricing

I have three of the four types of dial for the Record. I also have an Eterna and a Lemania with "P" on the dial (for Promethium), which are somewhat rarer. I didn't intend to start collecting sub-types but somehow it happened! I'm not actively looking for any more now.

WWW pricing

Interesting post. Though I must say, most of the omegas you see out there are very poor examples, and many have non original parts (e.g., hands and crown) or radials. In my view for a good one you are looking in the 1k range.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by RABbit
    I have three of the four types of dial for the Record. I also have an Eterna and a Lemania with "P" on the dial (for Promethium), which are somewhat rarer. I didn't intend to start collecting sub-types but somehow it happened! I'm not actively looking for any more now.
    Nice, do you have a 'KNIL' example as well? If you ever want to lighten-up your collection, let me know ;)

No KNIL versions. Trouble is there are so many WWW variants that you could end up with nothing else...
    I also collect post-war RAF watches and money doesn't grow on trees anymore!

Here's a reply, of sorts:

"Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under £4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for £5. Recently their price seems to have risen to £8." (George Orwell, 29th November 1946)

Wow...a 100 % rise in price! :roll:
    I wonder what "Big Brother"would have said :lol:
    Kind regards,
    Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O

"Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under £4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for £5. Recently their price seems to have risen to £8." (George Orwell, 29th November 1946)
    Where is this Orwell citation from ?

[quote=even neve]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Rev-O":3dsk3f0h

Where is this Orwell citation from ?[/quote:3dsk3f0h]

Orwell in Tribune: 'As I Please' and Other Writings, 1943-7
    Ed. Paul Anderson, 2008

^^ thanks mate

Quote Originally Posted by avdm
    Wow...a 100 % rise in price! :roll:
    I wonder what "Big Brother"would have said :lol:
    Kind regards,
    Adrian.
    Some more crazy news on W.W.W.prices.
    At another military forum I read today that a W.W.W. GRANA, fetched 5350 £, after the auction house had set a starters price of 12-140 £.
    Quo vadis...?
    Adrian. :bom: