closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Rolex... ? (Shocking and provocative content !!!)

Why Rolex... ? (Shocking and provocative content !!!)

First of all - keep it clean - I don't mean to walk over anybody's feelings... :!: :)

I just keep wondering about Rolex as a brand. I absolutely love that it is not a Swatch or Richemont owned brand, and that it has a charity aspect. I very much love the in-house movements, and some of the designs that they have done that are absolutely stunning. And I love the history.... :)

BUT.... (oh no...!) :shock: :shock:

But, I hate the fact that there are so many of them out there, and that so many non-WISs crave them. Someone said that a Rolex signaled "White middle-aged overweight caucasian man with no knowledge of watches, but a need for a status symbol" - now, clearly that is a a bit harsh, to say the least, but it doesn't stop there...

There is also a perception that every first-year banker and attorney buys a sub with his or hers first pay. Hell, my fiancee takes a lot of very early flights out of Denmark, and regularly tells me that half the male passengers wear black subs as part of their business attire. This pisses me off a bit, as the Rolex is a great watch, but there's so many people that own it, that just turns me away from it... :?

So, what is left for someone who wants the nice history, great movements, and stunning models of Rolex. Well, to begin with, I thought that it should be a Sub, and found the 16610LV an absolute stunner, but I still see a lot of non-WISs with them. Then there's the vintage Subs, which I learned to love though TZ-UK (damn Tony and his great photography and nice collection)...

But in the end, I keep wondering if the Sub is for me...

I have a lot of love for the YachtMaster :drunken: , which seems a downplayed and discrete albino sub with one of the most amazing dials I have ever seen. This would be my first choice, and as a second choice maybe a black dial Explorer II....

My first haute horologie love was an IWC Portuguese, and I just swapped models from black to white after three years of ownership. I and also have an Ingenieur original incoming. They speak strongly to me - especially the Ingy. Many people who crave the Rolex' have never heard of the IWC, and this appeals to me as a small "bonus" to the brand. It would never make me buy it, but I like that fact.

Now, have a swing - this post is not meant to put Rolex down - I want one - but I just hate to buy a piece of watch history and being asked if I was in Thailand recently...

Am I crazy ?

Cheers,
    Henrik

Re: Why Rolex... ? (Shocking and provocative content !!!)

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun
    Henrik, what you need is understated class. A gilt dial 5513/5512. Not recognised by the masses, known and understood by WIS.
    Crist, Dunc... This is just about one of the nicest Subs I've ever seen. And you get my point spot on. That's why I love the Ingy. No one will ever know what it is, but another WIS will understand... But not a first year WIS :D

WOW :shock: Your reply may end up costing me a vacation or two.... :)

Buy a nice vintage matt, plexi, maxi, rattly sub and none of the negative things you mention in your post are relevant, the shallow Rolex buyers wouldn't dream of buying something so old, cheap and plain :wink:

Works for me anyway with my 5513

I see that wingTsun beat me to the post with the same solution to the problem.

It is the right way 8)

Own, love, like, wear the watch for you and you alone.
    Forget about the image, what you think other people might think of you if they saw you wearing one, what you think of other people wearing one, their reasons, perceived status, perceived sheepdom.
    It's all irrelevant.
    It's difficult, but you'll be much happier.

Henrik, what you need is understated class. A gilt dial 5513/5512. Not recognised by the masses, known and understood by WIS.

Now then....are you putting that up for sale? :shock: :D

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut
    If so, gone ! :D :D

I don't really care whether I am wearing the same watch as 10,000 people or 50 people in the world - I buy and wear the watches I like first and foremost, and try out quite a few that have been recommended.

Nothing too shocking in your content, or provocative.

Why Rolex, why not. Some people like Ford, some people like Vauxhall - buy what you like and enjoy it :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master

The secret to true watch enjoyment is not to worry about what anyone else may think or say about it, go with your gut, get it on and enjoy it.

Your life is too short to die wondering or regretting things
    RIAC

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik Gelardi
    but I just hate to buy a piece of watch history and being asked if I was in Thailand recently...

So get yourself a Girard Perregaux or Grand Seiko.

Someone said that a Rolex signaled "White middle-aged overweight Salesman with no knowledge of watches, but a need for a status symbol"Henrik

Fixed it for you. :wink:
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Nope!! :D
    Thought not...but if you do....send me a pm to give me a crack before it goes on general release? I love that watch.

I understand where you are coming from having lusted after for a long time before finally owning a Sub & even though it was a beautiful matt dialled vintage sub i still had issues with the "over familiarity" of the model & therefore ended up moving on a watch i will probably never be able to replace. I switched to the Explorer I & couldn't be happier. It is new under warranty & therefore i wear it every day without worry, it has none of the ridiculous service charges (IMHO) now attached to vintage subs by Rolex (£840 anyone? Really?) it doesn't shout Rolex but is both classy & understated as well as being probably the most versatile watch in the sports line up. Being one of the most recognised brands in the world means it will be used a status symbol by those not into their watches the same way many luxury brands are used to gain kudos by association. This will never change & for many is the major attraction but if you have a problem with this simply pick another brand theres plenty of choice. The Rolex is built to a very high standard & as daily wearer i could not be happier however this forum has been my undoing & as funds permit i would be much more likely to be looking at IWC or a JLC as my next purchase.

Nope!! :D
    Thought not...but if you do....send me a pm to give me a crack before it goes on general release? I love that watch.
    You'll probably have to deal with my son, who is currently 3 y/o. :twisted:
    I've found a couple of them recently....the price was a bit eye watering but then its a beauty!

WingTsun's approach is fine indeed...and I just bought a 16610LV from him....

Nobody I have ever met plays an Antoria Memphis Custom '74 btw...

Craftsman

That is one of the most fantastic 5513s I have ever seen :shock:

How much would a watch like that approx cost if you could find it FS?

Blog Entries

Why Rolex... ? (Shocking and provocative content !!!)

Or try a Milgauss ? Classic understated design. Known to the WIS, not to the non WIS. So seen less often in the wild.
    But as others have said - so what ?
    Buy what you like - even if others have it.
    z

Quote Originally Posted by feilersen

How much would a watch like that approx cost if you could find it FS?
    2 new subs

Quote Originally Posted by zelig
    Or try a Milgauss ? Classic understated design. Known to the WIS, not to the non WIS. So seen less often in the wild.
    z
    Well, with an Ingy incoming, there's only so much room for anti-magnetics :D And the Ingy outclasses the Millgauss by miles IM very personal but HO ... :)

But on your thought, as I said I do love the YM, and that is not something that everybody knows either...

Master

Henrik - IMO a perfectly valid post. A Rolex is a cliche, but then again so a so many other things. TBH this issue is all in your head. Seriously no one else will notice or be bothered.

I was put off for a number of years by the 'image' but now have more Rolexes than months in the year. I think I'm the only person that notices when I wear one.

Reasons why the are a cliche and aspirational, include: classic designs, robust, reliable, accessible with some effort to many people, subtle, wearable in most settings, and a well positioned brand. Makes them a good product to my eyes.

Apple, Porsche, BMW, Mont Blanc, BlackBerry, Sony, Bose, Omega - all common, all cliches, all great products, so why not.

PS I have non-WIS friends who have Milgauss and Yacht Master............

Master

Some people might say go for the one you like the most and to hell with other peoples' opinions. :director:

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Balls to what anyone else thinks.

Why waste your money when you can get basically the same thing from Steinhart for less than a tenth of the price ?
    The Steinhart will also be more exclusive and you will not feel like one of the rolex sheep or chav new money.

Blog Entries

And here is the "feet first" version:

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master

Quote Originally Posted by nesima
    Why waste your money when you can get basically the same thing from Steinhart for less than a tenth of the price ?
    The Steinhart will also be more exclusive and you will not feel like one of the rolex sheep or chav new money.
    Yeah, go for the Sub rip off.
    Why be a sheep when you can be a fake sheep... :lol:
    Why be new money when you can be no money... :lol:

^^ I think in Internet speak this is what's called being 'owned' :lol:

Master

Henrik, I have found that the best way is to actually buy the watch that YOU like and to do this regardless of any external pressures you might feel. You are going to wear it. What do you care what anybody else thinks? You might like it for a few weeks or months or you might want to keep it forever. In the scheme of things it doesn't really matter. It's only a watch. Do what you want to do.

Journeyman
    Washington, D.C., USA (dreaming of San Diego...)

First of all, WingTsun - AWESOME Sub.

To the OP - Wear what you love. Life is too short. And, if people ask you about "just getting back from Thailand" when they see your Sub, then launch into a discussion about the history of Rolex, their partnership with COMEX, all the watch advancements the Sub is responsible for, etc. and believe me, they'll realize you are different (and leave you alone!) :lol:

V/R

Mike

Hi Henrik,

Hanging onto it for you...

Regards,

James

I stayed away from Rolex for all the usual reasons, but have always been drawn toward a sub. They are the quintiscential sport watch. Classic and subdued.

I do agree that if you really want to go Rolex AND want to avoid seeing your watch on every other wrist then go vintage. That said, their are alternatives in terms of divers to Rolex - for example, have you had a look at the Blancpain Tribute to Polaris, of the GO Sport Evolution (to name but two)?

If you really do fancy vintage, there are a couple of easily found options for you, namely the 5513 or 1680... both lovely watches and both iconic in terms of heritage... then, of course, there's the 1665 ;)

You really don't need to worry about gilt dials and meters first to get a very, very nice watch.

A few months ago I met someone one evening who works in the watch industry....
    she's an independent journalist who writes for numerous luxury magazines
    about high end watches.
    Through her work she knows everyone in the watch industry- it was very interesting talking to her......

however- when I lifted up my sleeve to proudly show her my Rolex she responded

"Rolex are without doubt the 'Marks and Spencer' of the watch world."

Basically she then went on to say that Rolex are mass produced crap compared to Audemars Piguet etc

The Steinhart will also be more exclusive and you will not feel like one of the rolex
    sheep or chav new money.
    Sure. But why waste your money on a Steinhart if you can get basically the same thing from your trusted watch retailer on any beach in Thailand for less than a tenth of the price?

You must be joking!
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master

There probably isn't a brand which polarises opinions more than Rolex.

I had many of the same issues regarding them until I got my 14060M. Now I just recognise them for what they are: a well made robust watch which go on and on.

There's a reason for their popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe
    The Steinhart will also be more exclusive and you will not feel like one of the rolex
    sheep or chav new money.
    Sure. But why waste your money on a Steinhart if you can get basically the same thing from your trusted watch retailer on any beach in Thailand for less than a tenth of the price?

You must be joking!
    Not joking - just trolling, as usual.

I think Rolex are very much like BMW cars (esp 3 and 5 series) in that they are very much the obvious choice if you want a status symbol, and they sell on their perceived prestige, even though they are in reality volume sellers. As such, BMW/Rolex are able to charge more money for the same features than their less prestigious competitors. This doesn't however mean they aren't both great products, but this will polarize buyers, especially those who consider themselves more discerning - these people will then either display inverse snobbery and buy a cheaper, less known brand which gives the same quality for less or, ironically, pay even more money for a more exclusive brand that probably offers less bang-for-the-buck.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmkid
    about high end watches.
    Through her work she knows everyone in the watch industry- it was very interesting talking to her......

Basically she then went on to say that Rolex are mass produced crap compared to Audemars Piguet etc
    What a rude c**t.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3
    Quote Originally Posted by farmkid
    about high end watches.

What a rude c**t.
    :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by verv
    Balls to what anyone else thinks.
    Couldn't have put it better myself :)

Maybe I should clarify a bit. As it is, i do not care that much for how other people feel about my watches. Of course, I value some peoples opinions, but that's a bit different.

However, I also just like to have something that not everybody has, and I think that the Sub is probably the most widely sold Rolex - just guessing here... And it's a stunning watch, so I understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    I do agree that if you really want to go Rolex AND want to avoid seeing your watch on every other wrist then go vintage.

If you really do fancy vintage, there are a couple of easily found options for you, namely the 5513 or 1680... both lovely watches and both iconic in terms of heritage... then, of course, there's the 1665 ;)
    I, indeed, would like to avoid seeing my watch of very other wrist, so this may very well end up being the solution... There's more than a couple of the vintage rolex' that are amazingly beautiful...

And then maybe a modern YM :)

How about a Tudor sub ? A snowflake, especially blue would fit your Rolex needs but be different enough to still your concerns.

Sod anyone else, wear what you like and enjoy it for you.

“Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

same shite, different week.

Blog Entries

Talking of Rolex.

Each to their own. My daily beater is a 1966 DJ, it keeps remarkably good time, I am totally comfortable with it and do not consider it 'flash' at all. :)

Quote Originally Posted by robcat
    I think Rolex are very much like BMW cars (esp 3 and 5 series) in that they are very much the obvious choice if you want a status symbol, and they sell on their perceived prestige, even though they are in reality volume sellers. As such, BMW/Rolex are able to charge more money for the same features than their less prestigious competitors. This doesn't however mean they aren't both great products, but this will polarize buyers, especially those who consider themselves more discerning - these people will then either display inverse snobbery and buy a cheaper, less known brand which gives the same quality for less or, ironically, pay even more money for a more exclusive brand that probably offers less bang-for-the-buck.
    I think if you use Porsche in the analogy you will get a easier buy in. The watches aren't cheap, they are many times more expensive than some others. unlike BMW which is a percentage more expensive, or cheaper for some models against immediate rivals. They are no however, Ferrari, Lambo, Bugatti etc.

The cheeky women mentioned above - well I guess she has spent too much time dealing with people who really can afford a whole room of £50k plus watches. Sure there are others out there and her M&S analogy isn't all bad.

I like the brand, without the idiots who spout off about it; it's a bit like talking trash about one of the best football players in the world because he doesn't play for your team and some people can't help themselves. Yes a lot of AP models are probably better - how much is AP's cheapest diver? Crazy talk ;)

Buy it, use it, enjoy it - doesn't matter if it's Casio or a Patek; there is room for both in my collection!

Blog Entries

Join us my friend!
    Btw,there is no problem with being a banker and Rolex is the best and that's what people want so that's why people have them! Simples. :P

Craftsman

I tend to look at my watches as unique. They belong to me, that's what makes them unique. They make me feel happy when I put them on. What more can you ask for in life? Be happy that you can afford one, equally be happy if you can't afford one. Just enjoy and don't think about it too much! 8)

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    for example, have you had a look at the Blancpain Tribute to Polaris
    I don't think Blancpain did such a watch, Tony? :scratch: Do you mean JLC?
    Tony has probably had a can or dram or two - they fill a similar niche and Tony is all JLC'd out - subliminally he is looking out for a nice Blancpain ;)

Craftsman

I think Rolex has done a great piece of marketing. They sponsor large well known sports events and advertise that a Rolex watch is the ultimate gift (albeit to your self ;) ). Their slogan "a crown for every achievement" has made that people associate the brand with success.

And guys, don't be afraid to be mistaken for a show off if you wear your Rolex. If people think they can tell who you are because they only see your watch and haven't talked to you, they're not worth talking to ;)

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by zelig
    z
    Well, with an Ingy incoming, there's only so much room for anti-magnetics :D And the Ingy outclasses the Millgauss by miles IM very personal but HO ... :)

But on your thought, as I said I do love the YM, and that is not something that everybody knows either...
    Good post. I always felt that Rolex was the default watch which never appealer, jsut a watch for the masses. I also hated the cyclops and a date complications is a must - so a Roelx sports watch was never up for consideration. I always admired the IWC brand for the quality and classic design and the understated nature of the brand -it really is a connoisseur watch of choice.

Interestingly, I ended up with a 3227-01 but after a while I just found it too top heavy and flipped it for a SD 16600. I have to say that I find the finish on the 3227-01 a world apart from the SD. It really is an engineering master-class. Both have an any occasion feel but the 16600 is the perfect swatch for me even if it is inferior to the touch compared to Ingy. Enjoy yours!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    Quote Originally Posted by robcat
    I think if you use Porsche in the analogy you will get a easier buy in. The watches aren't cheap, they are many times more expensive than some others. unlike BMW which is a percentage more expensive, or cheaper for some models against immediate rivals. They are no however, Ferrari, Lambo, Bugatti etc.

The cheeky women mentioned above - well I guess she has spent too much time dealing with people who really can afford a whole room of £50k plus watches. Sure there are others out there and her M&S analogy isn't all bad.

I like the brand, without the idiots who spout off about it; it's a bit like talking trash about one of the best football players in the world because he doesn't play for your team and some people can't help themselves. Yes a lot of AP models are probably better - how much is AP's cheapest diver? Crazy talk ;)

Buy it, use it, enjoy it - doesn't matter if it's Casio or a Patek; there is room for both in my collection!
    Agreed on the Porsche analogy. They are at a similar level of performance, quality, luxury and price that many can realistically aspire to and importantly justify. By way of comparison with Lambo, Ferrari, and further up Zonda and Bugatti (read say Audemars, Blancpain, and further up Patek and Richard Mille) you are at the stage of massively diminished marginal returns where some people, even if they could afford them would think, it's just not worth the extra over my Rolex/Porsche.