closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Rolex... ? (Shocking and provocative content !!!)

Re: Why Rolex... ? (Shocking and provocative content !!!)

If you are that worried about what people think then pass, the idea of having to buy an old Rolex that will go unnoticed is another cop out, if you cannot be proud to wear something you like the look of and are that influenced by what others think buy a copy of GQ.

It's clear for me. You can't go wrong with Rolex Yachtmaster :D

Master

generally if someone asks me if my rolex is a fake, i say it is, for the simple reason i'm not bothered what they think, i did'nt buy the watch to impress others and if they can't tell between real and fake i'm not really interested in their opinion on my watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik Gelardi
    . Hell, my fiancee takes a lot of very early flights out of Denmark, and regularly tells me that half the male passengers wear black subs as part of their business attire.

You have a fiancee that can regonize a sub ???? :shock: If this is a girlfriend - can we have pics ;-) ?

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin123
    If you are that worried about what people think then pass, the idea of having to buy an old Rolex that will go unnoticed is another cop out, if you cannot be proud to wear something you like the look of and are that influenced by what others think buy a copy of GQ.
    I don't personally buy a vintage Rolex because they are more subtle and shout less, I buy them because I prefer them. That they are more subtle is one of the advantages of them, though.
    Not more subtle rounds these parts :lol:

[quote=even neve]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Henrik Gelardi":6y7hhlne
    . Hell, my fiancee takes a lot of very early flights out of Denmark, and regularly tells me that half the male passengers wear black subs as part of their business attire.

You have a fiancee that can regonize a sub ???? :shock: If this is a girlfriend - can we have pics ;-) ?[/quote:6y7hhlne]

I think my last 4 girlfriends would easily recognise a Sub and even Patek and AP at a push, but then all of them also own more nice Swiss watches than the average man.
    It's just a matter of time...

I don't personally buy a vintage Rolex because they are more subtle and shout less, I buy them because I prefer them. That they are more subtle is one of the advantages of them, though.
    That's my point buy the one you like not because its going to be less noticeable

Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie
    , it doesn't shout Rolex but is both classy & understated as well as being probably the most versatile watch in the sports line up.
    I went for the Explorer 1 right away, for the same reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    I think my last 4 girlfriends would easily recognise a Sub and even Patek and AP at a push, but then all of them also own more nice Swiss watches than the average man.
    Are any of them currently single?

PS Am in Devon or Hants. Have car. GSOH will travel.

Master

That's my point buy the one you like not because its going to be less noticeable

Is it actually any less noticeable? It's the same watch but with a plastic crystal. :?

i've really enjoyed this thread :) thanks

i like the car comparison comments.

i think maybe the sub is a like a Ferrari... not a common site, except in high end locations.... like the Ferrari 458 (or 430 / 360 before it) the sub is kinda an entry level rolex, those more in lust & know with the ferarri brand might want a berlinetta, the same as some of you guys own/want a less mainstream rolex varient...

as with ferrari the average child can name rolex as a brand, also like the car, the average chav (sorry its horrid word) lottery winner will own a rolex

does this make it wrong to want a rolex (or a ferrari)?

no, clearly not - the heart wants what the heart wants, blue chip luxury brands have solid foundations for good reason.

should you buy a watch that you don't want as much as rolex, because it's not a rolex? no that's just silly

IMHO rolex's like ferrari cars tell their own story about you.

[I won't mention any watches here, as i don't want to tread on any toes or appear bitter that i dont have a rolex!]

brand new track 458 with race numbers - its the tool for my job/hobby

brand new 458 - i can afford it & the salesman said it was best

10yr old 360 - long held Ferrari dream, finally realised on a budget

1960s Ferrari GT - the passion & knowledge of the brand is far more important to me than the 0-60 time

i getting a similar sense with Rolex, none of the cars above is a bad buy, but they all speak volumes to those in the know, whilst catching the attention of those not in the know!

cheers

OK, so I am new to this lark, only been heavily into watches for the last 18 months or so and in truth, dont have the money to buy some of the more expensive items that appear on here.

My premise when looking into what watches I would consider, has always had an over riding factor of the watch needing to be uncommon. I recently bought a Marathon CSAR from Dunc, 1 because it ticked all the boxes I had for functionality, but also because it was not a watch that is frequently seen on other peoples wrists.
    I have always been put of Rolex, because of the very fact that so many people already have them, but also because so many fakes exist and the general public's first assumption is that they are fake.

The good news. Dunc's first reply to this has completely changed my mind on Rolex. That watch is truly beautiful. I do not appreciate the internal workings, I have little knowledge as yet of that aspect of watches, but the design of the watch is stunning. The price for me, is likely to make it something I can only ever aspire to, but it has made me change my overall opinion of Rolex as a brand and I will now look more into what other models exist.

Damn this place. Just when you think you have the watch thing sussed, you get proved wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3

Is it actually any less noticeable? It's the same watch but with a plastic crystal. :?
    Agreed and certainly not in my wife's opinion who think they all look the same, I think my point is being missed :D

I think it is. It's not as shiny or blingy, the bezel is faded and the bracelet is all brushed. Is it still recognised as a Rolex? By some, probably but most just think that because it's old it's less costly. ( :twisted: ) I don't know, I may be kidding myself but to me there is something quite classy about an old vintage Sub, something that makes them quite a different kettle of fish to a new one. Those who want a Rolex for show don't think about an old vintage one. They want the watch to stand out and be seen so the blingier the better. Vintage Rolex are an acquired taste and to me represent a more understated elegance by those who have no wish to show off, they simply love how the watch looks on their wrist and appreciate the history and heritage and maybe even the life story behind the watch.
    Well said!

I think it is. It's not as shiny or blingy, the bezel is faded and the bracelet is all brushed. Is it still recognised as a Rolex? By some, probably but most just think that because it's old it's less costly. ( :twisted: ) I don't know, I may be kidding myself but to me there is something quite classy about an old vintage Sub, something that makes them quite a different kettle of fish to a new one. Those who want a Rolex for show don't think about an old vintage one. They want the watch to stand out and be seen so the blingier the better. Vintage Rolex are an acquired taste and to me represent a more understated elegance by those who have no wish to show off, they simply love how the watch looks on their wrist and appreciate the history and heritage and maybe even the life story behind the watch.
    Why do you wear them, then?

:twisted:

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly

Why do you wear them, then?

:twisted:
    Because I am the epitome of understated elegance and class. Soon, in the Oxford Dictionary, the explanation of the word "elegant" will simply say" "See Dunc". :twisted:
    When that happens, I'd like a signed copy :D And please notice, that I say "when".... :D :D

Banned
    Blog Entries

Why not?

The real world ís out there and if you would happen to walk through it one day, it wíll affect you.
    A watch that passes under the social radar is a lot easier to enjoy :idea:

:!: :!: RolexRolexRolexRolexRolexRolexRolexRolexRolexRolex :!: :!:
    ROLEX
    OysterPerpetualDate
    SuperlativeCronometerOfficiallyCertified

Does not help. Less still when supported by more exhuberant styling and colours carefully designed to point out that
    THIS IS A ROLEX :!:

Yes, I can see the fact that a watch will stay under the radar is a +.
    That is why I like the purests of GSs so much.

Master

I just think it is a shame there is this underlying (or not so underlying in some cases) hint that those who buy new Rolex are somehow lacking in taste or doing it to be flash. Personally, I generally just don't really like vintage ones, for all sorts of reasons that don't matter here, but that's just my preference. If I were being as judgemental as some I could argue that people only choose vintage Rolex watches in a desperate attempt to be noticed as someone different and oh how sad their lives must be to to use their wrist watch in a desperate attempt to elevate themselves, in their own minds, above those they consider inferior. I don't actually think that, but hey, if we're talking crap then lets do it properly! :twisted:

You can make up all sorts of sh*te if you're prepared to judge someone by what they have rather than who they are.

The only message my watch carries about me is that I liked it enough to buy it.

I just think it is a shame there is this underlying (or not so underlying in some cases) hint that those who buy new Rolex are somehow lacking in taste or doing it to be flash. Personally, I generally just don't really like vintage ones, for all sorts of reasons that don't matter here, but that's just my preference. If I were being as judgemental as some I could argue that people only choose vintage Rolex watches in a desperate attempt to be noticed as someone different and oh how sad their lives must be to to use their wrist watch in a desperate attempt to elevate themselves, in their own minds, above those they consider inferior. I don't actually think that, but hey, if we're talking crap then lets do it properly! :twisted:

You can make up all sorts of sh*te if you're prepared to judge someone by what they have rather than who they are.

The only message my watch carries about me is that I liked it enough to buy it.
    Cliff, don't try to worm out of it...

Banned
    Blog Entries

I just think it is a shame there is this underlying (or not so underlying in some cases) hint that those who buy new Rolex are somehow lacking in taste or doing it to be flash.

The fact are simple:
    1. new Rolexi are more obvious than realy vintage ones
    2. the more attention a watch draws to being expensive the less easy can it be worn everywhere or -when

There is no judgement in that.

Imo it would be a shame if you would choose to seek offense in that.

Master

I just love the comedy "oh I'm different" mentality. Are you f*ck, you're just another Emo/Goth/Rolex-hater/modern Rolex hater/potential mass murderer sitting around, reading Guns and Ammo, masturbating in your own faeces, desperately hoping someone notices your nod to individuality and thinks you are cool, except that would make you mainstream, so maybe you hope someone doesn't notice it, but secretly you do... but... aaaarrrggghhh who am I?!?! :confused2:

:lol:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla
    Imo it would be a shame if you would choose to seek offense in that.
    [s:qqcstkb7]I do not choose to seek offence in anything. The sentence of mine you quoted shows exactly my point of view and has nothing to do with vintage Rolex being 3% less noticeable than modern ones.[/s:qqcstkb7]

Actually, why am I bothering? Twist my words however you see fit.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Right....

Now how popular a Rolex model would this be if they would bring that out as a homage to their first dive watch?

ROLEX
    OysterPerpetualDate
    If Rolex made a grande sonnerie, the quarter chimes would say "ROLEX". This might be tricky to do mechanically.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

I don't get the safe to wear thing.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by verv
    Well, you always have to be on your guard in life as to what others may think of you, so you should always make your choices to minimise the chances of meeting someone who doesn't approve of your choices. Don't make them based on your personal preferences, that will end you in a world of sh*t. :wink:

Also, on the odd occasion that you are hanging out in Nigeria or Haiti or other notable arm-slicing for watch locations you will be safer with something that doesn't attract attention to it's value, so make sure your watch has a plastic crystal and faded bezel. Them pirates will never know...

Well, you always have to be on your guard in life as to what others may think of you, so you should always make your choices to minimise the chances of meeting someone who doesn't approve of your choices. Don't make them based on your personal preferences, that will end you in a world of sh*t. :wink:

Also, on the odd occasion that you are hanging out in Nigeria or Haiti or other notable arm-slicing for watch locations you will be safer with something that doesn't attract attention to it's value, so make sure your watch has a plastic crystal and faded bezel. Them pirates will never know...
    You'd be f*cked if you were wearing a ring, though, even if you had some old tat on your wrist.

Master

Just goes to show how lack of text on a dial can really f*ck up a good looking watch. Stick your sterile dials up yer hoop! :)

Personally, I have no problem with anyone wearing whatever they want and don't dwell on their motives for doing so. Live and let live, I say. If you want to be gaudy then you'll get no judgement from me what-so-ever..nope, none at all. :twisted:
    :D

Master

Right, I'm off for lunch with the Ma now. I've got a quiet-ish afternoon though, so will be back for the after-party. :)

Banned
    Blog Entries

You can choose to park your Ferrari spider anywhere you like overnight too.
    Common sense will limit the options somewhat.

Same thing luxury watches and the more conspicuous, the more limits imposed by common sense.

The rest is personal choice, - taste, - risc asessment.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Just goes to show how lack of text on a dial can really f*ck up a good looking watch. Stick your sterile dials up yer hoop! :)

The first Rolex :idea: :!: dive watch:

:sleepy2:

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Same thing luxury watches and the more conspicuous, the more limits imposed by common sense.

Generally, if you have the financial stability to be able to afford a Ferrari, you have the resources to park it in a secure area in a reliable district.

I think you can make an exception for warlords and gun runners.. But realistically speaking.. You're not likely to find daily luxury watch wearers occupying sink estates.

if you don't have common sense enough to strap on a £4.99 Casio when you're on a jolly to cape town then that's on you.. But if you're not safe to wear a decent watch somewhere, then you're generally not safe to be there full stop.

I understand the theory behind "danger danger Rolex/Ferrari.. I just don't think it's relevant.

Why not?

The real world ís out there and if you would happen to walk through it one day, it wíll affect you.
    A watch that passes under the social radar is a lot easier to enjoy :idea:

ROLEX
    OysterPerpetualDate

Does not help. Less still when supported by more exhuberant styling and colours carefully designed to point out that
    THIS IS A ROLEX :!:

Yes, I can see the fact that a watch will stay under the radar is a +.
    That is why I like the purests of GSs so much.
    I can safely say that when I venture out of my estate and visit the hoi polloi my choice of Rolex has never been mentioned by the unwashed. Maybe they all need to have prescription glasses to see the Rolex advertising from four feet away? How close do you get to strangers to see these things? Have you any restraining orders?

Master
    Blog Entries

That's wonderful!
    But I like my LV more these days!
    Lost the vintage bubble?
    Had a 5513,5508, but only one that killed me was a white 1665 SD, gone now :roll: It is the best Rolex ever made IMHO!!!!

Cheers,
    M

But I don't have a Ferrari spider :(

Banned
    Blog Entries

But I don't have a Ferrari spider :(
    Wish I had one too.
    Or rather; wish I could afford one. Where we live the drive up to the farm is beyond the ground clearance of one :wink:
    Hence we have a 4x4 rag top for summerfun and no, we cannot park that anywhen/-where. We take the 4x4 ´winter´car for that :idea:

I once had a massive pick up drive past very slowly, with loud music playing, and then stop yards ahead of us - this was a good few years back, walking down the pavement in Montego Bay. There were at least 6 in the back of the pick-up and 4 in the cab. It looked very likely that me and the missus, at the time, were about to be mugged.

Thankfully I was much younger and much more confident and I simply went straight up to the guys in the back of the truck - the guys in the truck thought they recognised me (from tv) said hi, touched fists and then they drove off. I am not too sure what difference my choice of watch would have made to how the encounter turned out. They would have been prepared to mug us regardless.

I was wearing a Rolex.

Master

Back from a lovely meal with the Ma.

The first Rolex :idea: :!: dive watch:
    Yep, and I don't like it either. As I've sad a billion times I'm not one to blindly support a brand, I like what I like. Tough as it may be to believe from a wearer of modern ultra bling Rolex, the hype doesn't phase me, whether it be vulgar shiny newness or vintage characterful understated elegance...

- the guys in the truck thought they recognised me (from tv) said hi, touched fists and then they drove off.
    That has me puzzled sir.....do we have a star among us :wink:

As I've sad a billion times
    , there is no need to exaggerate. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Guz
    - the guys in the truck thought they recognised me (from tv) said hi, touched fists and then they drove off.
    I wouldn't tell anyone you've seen one of my films :lol:

:lol: :lol:

You've gotta give me more than that :D

Banned
    Blog Entries

Ivanhoe ! Ivanhoe !

Ivanhoe, Ivanhoe,
    Side by side
    Were proud to ride
    With Ivanhoe.
    At? his call we spring
    To help him ride along,
    The song we sing
    Is free and joyous song.

Ivanhoe, Ivanhoe,
    Far and wide
    Throughout the countryside
    They know
    Theres freedom on his banner,
    Justice in his sword,
    He rides against the manor
    Where tyranny is lord.

Rich and poor,
    Together we go,
    Forward with Ivanhoe,
    With? Iv-an-hoe.

Ron? i didn't recognise you w/out that 'tache ;)

You've posted about your interest of martial arts in the past...I'm guessing you're british and you're definitely a WIS

Are you this man?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude
    Hi Henrik,

Hanging onto it for you...

Regards,

James
    I'm telling you, James - this is just one of the most stunning of the modern Rolex'... 8)

Quote Originally Posted by nesima
    Why waste your money when you can get basically the same thing from Steinhart for less than a tenth of the price ?
    The Steinhart will also be more exclusive and you will not feel like one of the rolex sheep or chav new money.
    Yeah, go for the Sub rip off.
    Why be a sheep when you can be a fake sheep... :lol:
    Why be new money when you can be no money... :lol:
    A Steinhart is basically of equal quality to a rolex, a Steinhart is not a fake.
    Which Steinhart watch do you think is a fake ?

Yeah, I like it. I think it doesn't look much like a Rolex, actually. More like a Tag-Heuer.

I don't really like any of the other contemporary Rolexes, either.

Why waste your money when you can get basically the same thing from Steinhart for less than a tenth of the price ?
    The Steinhart will also be more exclusive and you will not feel like one of the rolex sheep or chav new money.
    A Steinhart is basically of equal quality to a rolex, a Steinhart is not a fake.
    Are you mad?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    Are you mad?
    no, he is trolling, what did you expect?.