closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Roy Hodgson for England >>>>>

Re: Roy Hodgson for England >>>>>

Is Roy Hodgson Harry Redknapp's nom de plume?

I don't feel sorry for him, he accepted the job. Heaven knows he's been in the game long enough to see what happens to people who take the England managers job.

Yet again, the FA are at the heart of all of this. They don't deserve to be running football. It makes me laugh to hear rent a voices like David Davies and Mark Palios who have amazingly developed some half decent insight, something that was completely lacking during their time in the FA!

Get ready for lots of Owl pictures on the back pages, there are some here ready to be used depending on the performance/result:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    I'm going to guess that 'exciting managers' means exciting signings, signings that make you feel the FA are really serious about getting results.....you go out and spend money on getting managers that have won the Champions League, League titles in several countries...that kind of thing.
    Well, it worked out well last time...

Came across this article earlier - it's an excellent read: http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/05/01/ ... y-hodgson/

Master

I have just realised that Roy Hodgson could be Steve McClarens dad

Craftsman

Good luck to him, he seems like a decent bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    I'm going to guess that 'exciting managers' means exciting signings, signings that make you feel the FA are really serious about getting results.....you go out and spend money on getting managers that have won the Champions League, League titles in several countries...that kind of thing.
    Well, it worked out well last time...
    We didn't get it last time. We got expensive. Not the same thing at all. By exciting I mean committed to and able to generate fast, free-flowing attacking styles of play. Capello was a plodder, Sven was uninspired and star-struck b some of the senior players. Hodgson is just...average. Even the early reports suggest that Hodgson will have a reliance upon the old guard. The same old guard that was so conclusively outpaced by the new young German team. (Although, in fairness, he didn't have much of a choice given that the Euros are just round the corner.)

Hodgson is the best Englishman for the job by a country mile.

The problem we have in the UK is that the vast vast majority of people that go into football as a profession on the playing, coaching
    or managing side are terminally thick. The worst cases being ex-players who become managers.

Given football starts with the intellectual dregs is it surprising that we regularly get out thought in games by the Spanish, Italians and
    Germans ?

I honestly believe that most of the players that have played for England over the last 20 years are too thick to concentrate for 90 minutes
    and follow the instructions/tactics they have been given by their manager.

England have no chance of winning any major football tournament and no chance of even coming close.
    The last 8 would be a massive success.

So lets please keep things in perspective, if Hodgson is very good at molding middle ability players into a competitive team of greater ability
    than its constituent parts, he is the perfect choice.

Master

I heard a call on talskport tonight from a Fulham fan and when he listed out what he had done for them it was impressive.

I appreciate that Liverpool and Fulham are miles apart in terms of expectancy but to do what he did with a ''lesser' team like FFC has to be admired.

He wouldn't be my choice but I truly think he deserves a chance.....not sure he'll get it :cry:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow
    We didn't get it last time. We got expensive. Not the same thing at all. By exciting I mean committed to and able to generate fast, free-flowing attacking styles of play. Capello was a plodder, Sven was uninspired and star-struck b some of the senior players. Hodgson is just...average. Even the early reports suggest that Hodgson will have a reliance upon the old guard. The same old guard that was so conclusively outpaced by the new young German team. (Although, in fairness, he didn't have much of a choice given that the Euros are just round the corner.)
    :lol: :lol: Sven and Capello were two of the most successful and highly regarded managers of their generation before they took the England job. The only reason why they now look like a couple of clowns is because they chose to associate themselves with the utter shambles that is England. It's a career-ending job, so the chance of getting anyone both sane and under the age of 60 to do it (assuming they have any ambition rather than just being after a massive payout) is zero.

:lol: :lol: Sven and Capello were two of the most successful and highly regarded managers of their generation before they took the England job. The only reason why they now look like a couple of clowns is because they chose to associate themselves with the utter shambles that is England. It's a career-ending job, so the chance of getting anyone both sane and under the age of 60 to do it (assuming they have any ambition rather than just being after a massive payout) is zero.
    How is "England" an utter shambles?

I'll admit that the Premier League dominates everything, but even those clubs find the energy to accommodate both the Europa and Champions League in addition to their own league fixtures. What's missing that makes the England job such a non-starter.

The only reason that I can see for it being carer ending is that the managers make so much money they can immediately retire (witness Capello's £10,000,000 art collection, complete with two Kandinsky's according to the radio tonight).

Master

The players are arseholes with a sense of entitlement wildly disproportionate to their talent.
    The media are arseholes who delight in whipping the more simple part of the population into a frenzy before immediately rounding on the manager and team the second things don't go to plan.
    The fans are arseholes who, as far as reasonable expectations go, are away with the fairies.

As for career ending, you've illustrated that point pretty well yourself. Sven and Fabio are, by your estimation, plodders and star f*ckers. If they hadn't taken the England job, Capello in particular would have a reputation and set of achievements that would stand scrutiny against pretty much any manager still around.

He reminds me of one of those older women you see dressed like a man . :D

He could be that "strange" aunty ( who wasn't actually your aunty) with a bit of a moustache you remember from christmases and birthdays when you were a child. :shock:

The players are arseholes with a sense of entitlement wildly disproportionate to their talent.
    The media are arseholes who delight in whipping the more simple part of the population into a frenzy before immediately rounding on the manager and team the second things don't go to plan.
    The fans are arseholes who, as far as reasonable expectations go, are away with the fairies.
    All players who have played for England over the last 15-20 years cannot have been arseholes. Some were I grant you, but only it seems when in an England shirt because they still managed to have glorious playing careers at their respective clubs. So I can't see why this should prevent success in the future.

Both the media and the fans take their cue from what happens on the pitch. And what the England camp have to put up with is nothing, nothing at all, to what happens to teams in South America. Perhaps the media and fans aren't harsh enough!

Master

All players who have played for England over the last 15-20 years cannot have been arseholes. Some were I grant you, but only it seems when in an England shirt because they still managed to have glorious playing careers at their respective clubs. So I can't see why this should prevent success in the future.
    By arseholes, I really mean that they're mostly as objectionable a bunch of people that you could ever hope to meet. Their limited professional competence was referred to as their talent. You;re right that some of them have had successful careers, but generally as spear carriers supporting the foreign talent that actually gets things done. Look at the current crop - two players who would get into some of the good international teams, Rooney and Cole, and the former has a temperament so flaky that he's more of a liability than anything. We have rubbish players, and most of them are arseholes on top of not being particularly good at their job.

Both the media and the fans take their cue from what happens on the pitch. And what the England camp have to put up with is nothing, nothing at all, to what happens to teams in South America. Perhaps the media and fans aren't harsh enough!
    The media arguably get a free pass as their job is to sell papers, but the fans don't. Look elsewhere on this thread for people demanding passion, pride, drive, success, cups and trophies - these people are seriously unhinged - detached from reality.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    Quote Originally Posted by 5avvy
    Quote Originally Posted by spogehead
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    Amazing, now our season has been effectively ruined...
    Kind of where I am as well Tony, bizarre turn of events
    Ditto chaps. I can't express my feelings as strongly as I would like as this is the G & D. What an absolute farce.
    Frankly, I reckon the FA were looking for a reason not to appoint Harry, and our collapse gave them one. Bunch of inept cretins, the process has been farcical from the moment Capello went and it was exacerbated my Harry's oversized ego.

Shame Harry (we had 2 points from 8 games when I got here) didn't get it... he's done as much as he can for my Spurs (which is no more than BMJ would've done) and I was hoping for a replacement. Word is, Brooking despises him for his back stabbing of Billy Bonds and made sure he never was to get the job from the off!!
    By the way, we've only 9 points from the last 10 games Harry!!
    Do you fancy the Azerbaijan job H?

Who? :blackeye:

Admittedly, I'm not the biggest follower of football, but I've still never heard of him!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbo

Word is, Brooking despises him for his back stabbing of Billy Bonds and made sure he never was to get the job from the off!!
    Very believable.

Sir Trev is a legend at West Ham and knows all about old saggy chops. :evil:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbo

Word is, Brooking despises him for his back stabbing of Billy Bonds and made sure he never was to get the job from the off!!
    Very believable.

Sir Trev is a legend at West Ham and knows all about old saggy chops. :evil:
    That and saying Spurs was his dream club are the two reasons why I despise him.

Craftsman

I'm a bit confused why the F.A. never spoke to Harry about the job. However as far as I can tell Hodgson appears to be a decent man with an air of quiet authority who is universally respected (maybe not by Liverpool fans) and has solid international experience. Perhaps he is the steady and unflashy figure the team needs. We shall see.

Master

I would think that these days you have to be "squeaky clean" to hold any position like this.

Not suggesting Harry is not, but his court case cannot have helped ....... and who knows what other "skeletons" there may be

not worth the risk for the FA

Quote Originally Posted by caliente
    I'm a bit confused why the F.A. never spoke to Harry about the job.
    TBH I think it was just the media who seemed to make it look like Harry was a shoe in.

They seem to be quite shocked that their nailed on prediction didn't come to pass.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I think Roy Hodgson is universally respected everywhere apart from the red side of Liverpool.

At Liverpool he was never given a fair chance, he was labelled the owners choice, he was undermined and stabbed in
    the back right from the start by that cheerful weasel Dalglish.

When Benitez went the owners should have also cleared out Dalglish, to make a clean break from the 18 years of
    constant failure in the Premiership.

Quote Originally Posted by caliente
    I'm a bit confused why the F.A. never spoke to Harry about the job.

Not really – I would think it might have gone something like this

FA to Harry - who have you managed

Harry to FA - Spurs at the moment , Southampton just before they got relegated and Portsmouth (twice) just before they got relegated (and bankrupt) and West Ham before they were relegated (last time) – oh yea I also managed the mighty Bournemouth

FA to Harry – so what have you won -

Harry to FA - I won the FA cup with Portsmouth just before they got relegated and the Intertoto Cup with the “ammers”

FA to Harry - any experience of European football?

Harry to FA - not really – Intertoto Cup with WestHam (which we won) and Champions League with Spurs last year (which we did'nt)

FA to Harry - any experience of World Cup football -

Harry to FA - always watch it on the telly and like to have a flutter on it. I did manged the Seatle Settlers (I fink that was what they were called, but yonks ago)

FA to Harry - do you speak any languages other than English

Harry to FA - I can’t even talk English - even my dog talks betta then me - HA HA!!.

FA to Harry - why do you think you are right for the Job

Harry to FA - I dont - I am well appy earning £4M/year at Spurs, but the Sun Newpaper finks I might be good.

Harry to FA - so are we sorted - stick the money in my Monaco account, and my chairman just needs about £8M from you to buy me out of their contract - good eh!!

No brainer :D

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Sheeez... Hodgson is one goofy looking guy. :lol: :lol: h

Quote Originally Posted by nesima
    I think Roy Hodgson is universally respected everywhere apart from the red side of Liverpool.

At Liverpool he was never given a fair chance, he was labelled the owners choice, he was undermined and stabbed in
    the back right from the start by that cheerful weasel Dalglish.

When Benitez went the owners should have also cleared out Dalglish, to make a clean break from the 18 years of
    constant failure in the Premiership.

Journeyman

What a joke !!!! may aswell give it back to Steve Mc Claren :twisted:
    Same old story

Quote Originally Posted by Ric356II
    Fair point, clearly history has told us over the last 20/30 years that we just are not good enough, or more to the point we just don't seem to have the ''winning'' menmtality (see numerous penalty shoot outs) so to that end it is partly irrelevant who manges the team.

If it's between Redknapp and Hodgson theres not much in it. Neither has won a great deal and both have lots of experience. Lots of talk about HR being a brilliant motivator etc, no doubt he has had an effect on Spurs but the last 3 months he hasn't been able to keep it going.

I think Hodgson will do ok, providing the media don't have those knives ready and sharpened
    Sharpened? They've already started sticking the knife in.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/articl ... dgson.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... erage.html

Never has a man gone to the gallows looking so gormlessly cheerful.
    37 years of experience about to be dismantled in less than 37 days

It's amusing to now watch the same people who slated and damned Liverpool and their fans for being nasty to Roy Hodgson now start to realise just how much of a mess they're in with Hodgson coming to manage England. When he was in charge at Liverpool, these people said that "being a nice guy with loads of experience" and "doing well at Fulham" was more than enough to excuse our horrific downward spiral. However, he's not even taken the job yet and suddenly he "doesn't really have enough of the right experience". :lol:
    That is just one and it is Martin Samuel.. :wink:
    Well he's only been in the job 24 hours now and The Press Complaints Commission have had 100 complaints from the S*n's front page headline today after the tabloid cruelly made fun of Roy's speech - "Woy gets England job - Bwing on the Euwos! (We'll see you in Ukwaine against Fwance)."

The Mirror's front page wasn't much better with their 'The Woy done good' headline. Just imagine what they'll be like when the results or performances aren't up to scratch and they said the Liverpool fans didn't give him a chance :roll:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17928426

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

Journeyman

He dont stand a chance once John Terry and Co get there nails in to him :( :( :( :( :(

Master

I suspect you're right - he should bin Terry and probably Fat Frank too. Draw a line in the sand, as it were.

Master

Roy had this to say in a Q&A published in one of the papers today.

Interviewer: If your house was burning down, what one possession would you save?
    Roy: Something expensive! I’ve got a few watches, I’d probably grab those.

Clearly the right man to lead England :P

... He's is the Sekonda of football managers...
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Master

Fair point, clearly history has told us over the last 20/30 years that we just are not good enough, or more to the point we just don't seem to have the ''winning'' menmtality (see numerous penalty shoot outs) so to that end it is partly irrelevant who manges the team.

If it's between Redknapp and Hodgson theres not much in it. Neither has won a great deal and both have lots of experience. Lots of talk about HR being a brilliant motivator etc, no doubt he has had an effect on Spurs but the last 3 months he hasn't been able to keep it going.

I think Hodgson will do ok, providing the media don't have those knives ready and sharpened
    Sharpened? They've already started sticking the knife in.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/articl ... dgson.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... erage.html

Never has a man gone to the gallows looking so gormlessly cheerful.
    37 years of experience about to be dismantled in less than 37 days

It's amusing to now watch the same people who slated and damned Liverpool and their fans for being nasty to Roy Hodgson now start to realise just how much of a mess they're in with Hodgson coming to manage England. When he was in charge at Liverpool, these people said that "being a nice guy with loads of experience" and "doing well at Fulham" was more than enough to excuse our horrific downward spiral. However, he's not even taken the job yet and suddenly he "doesn't really have enough of the right experience". :lol:
    That is just one and it is Martin Samuel.. :wink:
    Well he's only been in the job 24 hours now and The Press Complaints Commission have had 100 complaints from the S*n's front page headline today after the tabloid cruelly made fun of Roy's speech - "Woy gets England job - Bwing on the Euwos! (We'll see you in Ukwaine against Fwance)."

The Mirror's front page wasn't much better with their 'The Woy done good' headline. Just imagine what they'll be like when the results or performances aren't up to scratch and they said the Liverpool fans didn't give him a chance :roll:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17928426

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml
    Absolute disgrace, was shocked when I heard this. I know I shouldn't be but seriously what's the poor bloke got to do??

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 5freddys
    Sheeez... Hodgson is one goofy looking guy. :lol: :lol: h
    I dont think the players have to shag him they will just have to play good football for him.

Journeyman

I think that he was the only choice frankly,if it had to be an Englishman,much more international experience than 'arry.

Quote Originally Posted by sjb
    I think that he was the only choice frankly,if it had to be an Englishman,much more international experience than 'arry.
    I dont think int'l experience should count for a lot.

Previous managers that I recall off the top of my head - keegan, hoddle, venables, taylor, robson, plus cameos from wilkinson and brooking - did any of them have prior int'l experience?

Master

Keegan - poor
    Hoddle - acceptable
    Venables - acceptable
    Taylor - poor
    Robson - in hindsight, pretty good
    Wilkinson - poor at junior level
    Brooking - hasn't managed England

Conclusion: I don't think this says anything of whether or not previous international experience is useful, but to assume that it isn't seems a little like the notorious problem of England not practising penalties under many previous managers - it may not help that much but it presumably won't do any harm.