closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made in Poland watches

Made in Poland watches

I was in Poland last weekend and while my girls were shopping I checked watch stores. There were a lot of usual suspects - Tag, Omega, IWC, a lot of cheaper brands, but in one shop I was surprised to see watches made in Poland.

First one is Atlas, homage to original from sixties. They were displayed together and vintage watch even ticking.

Another on was regulator style Copernicus. Design of the dial is influenced by submarine manometer.

Movement is based on eta/unitas 6498, size approx 44mm, hands are blued, sapphire front and back.

They have also one handed version for those who like Meistersinger.

Re: Made in Poland watches

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds

First one is Atlas, homage to original from sixties. They were displayed together and vintage watch even ticking.
    Good post, many thanks.

http://uk.copernicus-watch.pl/collectio ... ollection/

the website makes the same side-by side comparison. What were prices like?

Craftsman

One more manufacturer from Poland - reactivated in 2006. Unfortunately web page only in Polish :shock:

http://www.polpora.com/intl/pl/

Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats

Good post, many thanks.

http://uk.copernicus-watch.pl/collectio ... ollection/

the website makes the same side-by side comparison. What were prices like?
    Atlas watches were approx. 800-850£.

Looks like the boxes they use are from the same place Panerai get theirs.

Nice looking watch - has a IWC hint to it.

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I like those Copernicus watches, nice design.

regards,
    Nick

Take a look at these:

http://gerlach.org.pl/

The "Terrible Twins" are very nice 200WR divers, commemorating bith Polish WWII submarines (ex Royal Navy) operating in Mediterranean and a Soviet "Amfibia". There is also a topic about G.Gerlach production on WUS.

And as to the vintage Polish watches (like the "Atlas" shown), these were made in Blonie in late fifties throughout the sixties, using Soviet mechanisms which were meant to be replaced with Polish made, but when the (swiss) machines for the mechanisms arrived, "Big Brother" decided Poland should not bother with producing watches when similar are available from them and withdrew from the agreement but generously offered to buy the machines at a fraction of value. So much for the history of Blonie factory.
    My sample - a "Zodiak" had very short run, as the Swiss "Zodiac" allegedly protested over the name.

Master

Must say, I do really like those Copernicus watches.

Stunning!
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Here is another interesting polish watch company, G.GERLACH!

http://gerlach.org.pl/?lang=en

Quote Originally Posted by Seb d
    Agreed. It doesn't look like there is an easy way to order one....

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by demer03
    Agreed. It doesn't look like there is an easy way to order one....
    Sales site - though it looks like only in Polish.

The watch above is 6,999PLN - circa 1,530GBP

http://luxtime.pl/pl/c/Flagship/186

ps - wszystkie najlepsze rzeczy s? z Polski - moja narzeczona na przyk?ad :mrgreen:

Look at the quality of the casework. G. Gerlach rock ...

... bigtime !!!

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Master

Loving this

never heard off but that are nice looking watches. Specialy the regulator!

Master

Brilliant, just ordered a G. Gerlach Dzik... :roll: And I was doing so well this year! Link if anyone is interested: http://sklep.gerlach.org.pl/index.php?r ... ry&path=59

Brilliant, just ordered a G. Gerlach Dzik... :roll: And I was doing so well this year! Link if anyone is interested: http://sklep.gerlach.org.pl/index.php?r ... ry&path=59

big pic: http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... o.jpg?dl=1

Here's a pic you will probably enjoy.

john

lubi? j?.

Made in Poland watches

The Gerlach watches look great. Be interesting to see how it goes when you get it. You can't knock their prices though. They look excellent value.

Made in Poland watches

The Gerlach watches look great. Be interesting to see how it goes when you get it. You can't knock their prices though. They look excellent value.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

I'm really liking these two. Very nice indeed.

Blog Entries

The Copernicus piece is lovely!!

Interesting and diverse posting, cheers! :)

Just to make things clear, the Gerlach "Terrible Twins" are called ORP Sokol (radio code N97) and ORP Dzik (P54), featuring white and black dial accordingly. I am afraid the signing up for "303 Fighter Sqn" watch, loosely based on 6B/159 specification, is now over, but as far as I know in a couple of months there will be another GG watch sharing the style and in particular the case.

I love the Copernicus regulator and that 303 OMG wow :drunken:

These are seriously nice pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing
    Does anyone know anything about this model? There is nothing on their website about it.

Videos of the running watch in ice:

G. GERLACH WR200 DIVER WATCH - FREEZ IS HIS FRIEND
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yg2g5b_cqI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do4veMc6-HQ

john

Craftsman

Thanks for posting I wasn't aware of these manufacturers. That Copernicus regulator is simply stunning in it's clear defined simplicity. Google here I come.

Journeyman

I had no idea such lovely watches were being made in Poland.
    I wonder what other non traditional watchmaking contries are producing fine watches?

Quote Originally Posted by deepeedee
    I wonder what other non traditional watchmaking contries are producing fine watches?
    I don't know if 'fine' is quite the appropriate word, but here is my Luch ('beam' as in beam of light) from Minsk in Byelorussia. 40 quid including delivery. :)

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing
    Does anyone know anything about this model? There is nothing on their website about it.

john
    I will try to answer, all that I know is - it is not a GG production watch but a KMZiZ (aka "Kizimizi") watch forum project inspired by 303 Polish Fighter Sqn of BoB fame ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptijNcDanVw ), designed by one of forum members (in fact selected by general vote of two competing designs) and ordered at G.Gerlach, which introduced some minor corrections. I wrote already the watch is loosely based on 6B/159 specs. Then there was a subscription, open to everybody, including several WUS members but now the list is closed and the limitation set at 99 pieces. GGerlach reserved the right to produce a watch with same case but different dial, so not everything is lost for potential buyers.
    And... lots of interesting , sometimes not so serious, news on "G.Gerlach" page at FB: http://www.facebook.com//pages/G-Gerlac ... 3366747205 There are pics of yet another "special" the "FOKA" (meaning "seal" - but relation to the four letter "F" word not completely accidental)

Quote Originally Posted by deepeedee

I don't know about fine but Skagen are from Denmark and have some interesting designs.

john

Master

I'd had a look at some Polish watches in the past, but not those, from what I recall. Incidentally, regarding the (very appealing) Copernicus - I have a house just round the corner from his birthplace - it's a museum now, not a huge amount in there really but the building itself is stunning. The man himself is a bit of a local celebrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger
    I'd had a look at some Polish watches in the past, but not those, from what I recall. Incidentally, regarding the (very appealing) Copernicus - I have a house just round the corner from his birthplace - it's a museum now, not a huge amount in there really but the building itself is stunning. The man himself is a bit of a local celebrity.
    I had a look at The Polpora range in Krakow. Nice, but not really nice enough for the money that was being asked - £800 and a long way upwards.

And I have a house just round the corner from ul. Kopernika and not far from where he went to University.

Naturally, the Krakovians claim him too. :wink:

Craftsman

Strange how many of us seem to have a house in Poland? I have one in Szczecin, probably the ugliest city in Poland though, I won't spoil the thread with a picture of the city.

Prim. Soon in Damascus steel too. I always fancied a watch with it. What happened to the Bathys?

Czech
    http://www.prim-watches.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/primwatches

john

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Porky
    Strange how many of us seem to have a house in Poland? I have one in Szczecin, probably the ugliest city in Poland though, I won't spoil the thread with a picture of the city.
    Very peculiar, actually. Mine is a 15th century place in the centre of Torun (well, two floors of one) - three axis brick gothic, so not dissimilar to the Copernicus house above. We're awaiting the exterior renovation that's been promised for some time - should make quite a difference as the vertical elements of the facade have a very grim, grey artex type finish at the moment - the sort of finish traditional council estate semis have. Not good, but removing that and reinstating the traditional decoration will make a tremendous difference.

Edit: My reason is that my wife is Polish and went to university in Torun and I fell in love with the place immediately. What about everyone else?

I used to have a Doxa slightly similar to the one on the left.

And just how many fingers do you have?! :)

My reason is that my wife is Polish and went to university in Torun and I fell in love with the place immediately. What about everyone else?
    My reason is that my wife's father came from Krakow - or a village to the north. He was taken as forced labour to Germany and then found himself in the UK following liberation.

My wife was keen to get to know the city, and I fell in love with it too. We lead a more civilised life there than we do here - baroque music in Renaissance churches, jazz in mediaeval cellars, fabulous restaurants - and all in timeless and welcoming surroundings.

We were visiting at least annually, and then we wondered whether it wouldn't be better to buy somewhere.

We live in a 1901 apartment house (the yellowish one in the mddle) -

looking out at a former Palace, now the Justice Ministry -

A Krakow chum we got to know in this jazz club -

We also became friends with the architect who renovated our building in 1999 - and who turned out to be a watch collector with an enviable collection of Heuers.

Master

Great story. I quite like Krakow, but no real connection to it as such. Torun is excellent for its size, and a huge amount going on, from theatres to indoor tennis courts practically in the centre of town in the winter. Good for pubs & restaurants as well - like a miniature Krakow in some ways, but with fewer vomiting stag parties - have you been?

Haven't been to Torun, but it's on the list. Everything I know about it suggests that I'd love it. Now that we're retired, we can go for longer, explore a bit more.

Going on Thursday, as it happens - immigration strike permitting...

Master

It's a fantastic place. Excellent to visit in the summer for the outdoor eating and drinking. Let me know if you're going - happy to give a few pointers if it would be useful.

Craftsman

Edit: My reason is that my wife is Polish and went to university in Torun and I fell in love with the place immediately. What about everyone else?
    My reason is that I met my Polish fiancee while we both worked for the same Company with a business in the UK and Poland - I marry her in July :-)

I have just an apartment in a normal run-of-the-mill apartment block, but when I move back to Poland soon, we will change city to Poznan or Krakow. I have never been to Torun, but I will make a point of visiting it.

After spending the last 8 months learning the Russian language in Armenia, I realise that Polish is much, much more difficult! :shock:

I lived in Torun for seven years - a brilliant city! :)
    Wroclaw is also worth a visit!

Yup, Wroclaw is good, especially on the island. A couple of good jazz clubs too, one attracting international performers.

Master

I've been through Wroclaw a couple of times, but never really to it. On the list of places to go, but it's a long list at the moment. Hoping to go sailing in Mazury this summer - I sail competitively but my wife hates the idea, so I thought that some lake sailing might be a gentle introduction, plus a friend of a friend runs a sailing holiday firm there.

Porky - as with tribe, happy to have a chat if you're going to Torun. Some really good places to eat and drink - seems to be very fluid as well - each time we go somewhere new, and often pretty good, has opened.

konlew - working there or university?

Absolutely sounds the business! Culture, architecture, jazz and, of course, watches. Fantabulous!

If you're ever in the market for some new best friends then please do get in touch.

I'm part Polish on my mothers side. Bad things happened to that side of the family during the war though best not to trawl through that here.

Looks lovely and drink deep of it all!

Best,

Drum

I thought you might be interested in news from G.GERLACH. As you know, there is a "Project 303" watch made for a Forum. Now, GG revealed they will use the same case design for a "marine" watch, inspired by Polish pre-(and post-)war ocean liner M/S BATORY. It is yet to be decided if the date will be included. Anyway, the watch should be available this year, I will let you know when subscription starts. Price should be below ?300, I think. Logo location will be changed. Anyway, here is the post (in Polish, but there are drawings):

http://www.chinawatches.pl/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0

Or, this FB entry, this one incl. english translation:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/G-Gerlach/166503366747205

Quote Originally Posted by Zinaida
    I thought you might be interested in news from G.GERLACH. As you know, there is a "Project 303" watch made for a Forum. Now, GG revealed they will use the same case design for a "marine" watch, inspired by Polish pre-(and post-)war ocean liner M/S BATORY. .......
    Pity because I really liked the centre-secs 303.

I don't get these makers. Here's a design that could sell in the thousands, so what do they do, is make a handful and then change the design. :(

john

Master

My Gerlach Dzik was waiting for me at the office today - only had a quick look but first impressions are very good, looks really nice, especially for the money. Will post some pics up this evening.

My Gerlach Dzik was waiting for me at the office today - only had a quick look but first impressions are very good, looks really nice, especially for the money. Will post some pics up this evening.
    I'd be interested to see some and get your impressions of it. How do you find the build quality?

I don't visit watchuseek much anymore, but I found this thread interesting about all the new Gerlach planned editions:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/g-gerl ... 42051.html

Up on the Gerlach facebook page they have just posted up these two pics of the forthcoming Batory no date and big date which use the same case as the 303.

I'm very tempted.