closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Personal car plates - why the variation?

Master

Re: Personal car plates - why the variation?

So let me get that straight, some of you would pay £1500 for a plate? I won't say that with this money you can feed a village in Africa but I'll say you can buy a really nice watch with it.... I really don't get it:-|
    Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Master

I haven't, but I would consider it for the right plate........but then again, I once paid over £1,500 more for a watch just because it had a wee bit of red writing on it

A lot of folk would just not "get" that either :wink:

Master

Come on! There are no terms of comparison between a plate and a watch

Master

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger
    A personalised plate is, pretty much without exception, the mark of an arsehole.
    Would you like to quantify that?
    Unlikely, he's too busy giving himself a pat on the back for being an abrasive twat, again :)
    A little unnecessary, surely? I'll concede the "abrasive" part but the "twat" aspect seems a but much.

As for clarifying (I assume that's what Scrubnut means) I just think that most of the time they're quite vulgar.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by adirian
    Come on! There are no terms of comparison between a plate and a watch
    Perhaps, perhaps not. Both are just objects with a market value after all

I suggested that a red 1680 is worth more than a white 1680 - why? Because it is rarer and / or more desirable to those that desire vintage rolex.

This is a watch enthusiasts' site so most of us can get that ( except the Rolex-haters :wink: )

In the same way, someone would probably pay more for XX 1 rather than XX YYYY. Why? Because it is rarer and /or more desirable to those that desire a short number private plate.

To that extent , perhaps there are terms of comparison

But I could be wrong .....waits to be shot down :D

In Poland, obtaining "special" personal plates is fairly easy and not so costly, there are limitations though, first digit is obligatory depending on region (W for Warsaw, K for Cracow etc.) then there is a number 0-9, so there may be ten similar numbers difference only in this digit and then up to five digit (letters and numbers, if there are numbers they must be at the end - T34 is possible but not 3XL). I have seen such "gems" as W1 IIIII and W1 X X X (that's what I call imagination), several names (incl. company) and two Chevy pickups otherwise identical, black: W1 CKED and W4 NTED.

I've had my private plates for a few years on my cars and bikes. It's just so much easier to remember the same old numbers.

But on my very old classic vehicles i keep the original numbers - There's no logic to my reasoning :D , but they are my vehicles and i'll do what i want without a care of what others think. .

Master

In Romania it's almost the same. The plate is like that DJ 08 WRF. The county, a two digit number and three random letters which can be personalized . The cost for personalization is £8. Now, I saw B 03 BMW, which was personalized for sure and I also saw DJ
    01 ASS and I wonder if he paid for it

Quote Originally Posted by adirian
    In Romania it's almost the same. The plate is like that DJ 08 WRF. The county, a two digit number and three random letters which can be personalized . The cost for personalization is £8. Now, I saw B 03 BMW, which was personalized for sure and I also saw DJ
    01 ASS and I wonder if he paid for it
    Those are hardly good examples of personalised plates :D

Quote Originally Posted by stiglet
    If I had an XK120 and this plate, I'd be prepared to run the risk of the being likened to any orifice whatsoever :wink:

What make is the red car in front of the McLaren?

Master

If you're being serious, it's a Jaguar XK120. Beautiful car.

What's the car behind - a Metro?

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut
    A personalised plate is, pretty much without exception, the mark of an arsehole.
    Would you like to quantify that?
    Unlikely, he's too busy giving himself a pat on the back for being an abrasive twat, again :)
    As for clarifying (I assume that's what Scrubnut means) I just think that most of the time they're quite vulgar.
    No. Scrubnut meant quantify. I know that because if he'd wanted clarification, he'd have said so.

So to clarify, as you have made the ridiculous sweeping statement about arseholes, please quantify that statement. That means give examples of people that you know are arseholes with personal plates and give your reasoning.

Master

Yep - it's a Metro Challenge race car. It had a very trick engine built by R Longman which I bought from the owner ( Campbell McLaren) when the series finished and put into a classic 60s Cooper S.

Campbell also had JAG 1 on an XK SS. and the original Ecurrie Ecosse D Type - which he nailed to the wall above his swimming pool.........but that's another story :D

Master

So to clarify, as you have made the ridiculous sweeping statement about arseholes, please quantify that statement. That means give examples of people that you know are arseholes with personal plates and give your reasoning.
    Given your obvious enthusiasm for them, I think we both know who I'm tempted to name first. In terms of people I know, none - obviously.

Anyway, I'm finding this rather tiresome so I'll wind up with a little doodle that you might find helpful, and a quote from the Telegraph that I think sums it up rather well:

They are total vanity and incredibly naff, but it's a market worth millions. I have no idea why someone would want one, they are so Dallas. You could actually spend that money on making your car better.
    I'll admit the following isn't empirically sound as my numberplate / arsehole database is playing up tonight, but I'm broadly comfortable with it.

Someone's got PMT :lol:

Master

Far from it; I'm in an excellent mood - day off tomorrow, off to work on the boat and get her ready for the racing season, have a chat booked in around some media stuff etc. As always though, I appreciate your contribution.

Master

I fail to see how CM could spend the "JAG 1" money making an XK SS "better"

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by stiglet
    I fail to see how CM could spend the "JAG 1" money making an XK SS "better"

:wink: :wink: :wink:
    Probably not - but that's never going to apply in every case, is it? To take everything absolutely would be to apply too high a standard, I suspect - in the same way that a UK XK120 is never going to literally be "Dallas" in any meaningful sense.

Given your obvious enthusiasm for them, I think we both know who I'm tempted to name first. In terms of people I know, none - obviously.
    Well done

Master

I once got a "personal" plate - actually N Ireland -GIL XXXX - because that avoided giving away, by the year prefix plate, that my newish looking and still in production Peugeot 205 GTi was actually 3 -4 years old and I wasn't successful enough a financial adviser to afford a new one.

[Anyway, I'm finding this rather tiresome so I'll wind up with a little doodle that you might find helpful, and a quote from the Telegraph that I think sums it up rather well:

Jesus, that's ironic.
    Being told if you have a private plate you're an arsehole by someone who cuts and pastes sections of the Telegraph to try and prove his point. :D

Master

Was there some sort of incisive point there that just went straight over my head?

No I wasn't being serious - 120s have more slats in the grille than 140s - and the owner of the Metro has, I see, knackered me from perpetuating my 'are you sure it's not a McLaren?' thread.(pensioner fun :))

My point if there was one, was that I can't see anyone spending several thousands on a house number plate, which at least would have a purpose for people delivering letters etc., yet are prepared to spend daft money on (half) spelling out the bleedin' obvious on their cars.

As I have said on here before, I actually like the idea of personalised number plates. I refer to them as (it is G&D not BP after all) 'Tw*t Alerts', as they can forewarn me that the driver of the car coming down the slip road has special dispensation from the Pope excusing him from signalling his intentions, and allowing him to tailgate at will.

One regular exception to the above is the Jag S type/XJ with personalised plates. They mostly seem to be driverless until at close range you can just make out a 75 year old driving sedately (to Scarborough mostly :)) on his instruments with equally short wife at his side.
    Graham

Master

As I have said on here before, I actually like the idea of personalised number plates. I refer to them as (it is G&D not BP after all) 'Tw*t Alerts', as they can forewarn me that the driver of the car coming down the slip road has special dispensation from the Pope excusing him from signalling his intentions, and allowing him to tailgate at will.
    It's a useful shibboleth.