closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: LED torches

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire

LED torches

Evening chaps

I've a Surefire 6p which I've had a strikelight & a modified lamp to give it some real shine!

I'm after something else as an everyday torch. I'm looking at the Maglite XL200, can anyone recommend some others?

Cheers

Adam

Master

Re: LED torches

LED Lenser P7 should meet all your torch needs.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f
    That's the one!! Couldn't remember the name!

Cheers :thumbleft:

Master

You're welcome.

Master

Had a P7 for 2 years and it is absolutely fantastic.

I bought a battery charger and 2 sets of batteries. For me the P7 delivers the best balance possible between decent lumen output and battery life.

I have a few other torches some with much higher outputs but in all honesty they are a pain if you need over 25 minutes of light :roll: great if you want something for intermittent use but the P7 isn't far behind power wise!

Build quality is great and so far no issues at all and I use mine every night whilst walking the woofers.

So far it has been dropped several times, run over by my Volvo..... Don't ask, submerged in the stream, mud and left for 3 weeks in over 12' of snow because I couldn't find it :lol: whilst enduring temperatures as low as -15

Basically, you cannot go wrong with a P7; when it eventually dies it will be replaced with another p7

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f
    Absolutely agree with this, except... If you shop around, you can find a duo-pack with the P7 and a cheap/free P3. E.g. <link>. Stick the P3 on your key-ring, and the P7 in the glovebox, and life is sweet.

Craftsman

What are you using it for? Work or play, I had a LED lenser scuba torch, lost under a floor unfortunately, now I have a head torch far better and hands free and will pretty much beat any hand held into submission, have a look at a Petzl Ultra

Journeyman

Girlfriends got a P7, my eyes will testify that it is one bright little torch.

Another thumbs up for Lensers i have both hand held and head torches and they are very good.

Master

Another vote for the led lenser. Great performance and beautifully made. Can't go wrong.

Journeyman

The Led Lenser rechargeable M7R, a friend has one and its fantastic.

Check out the Fenix range.
    F.T.F.A.

I'd second everything that's been said about the LED Lenser P7. I bought mine with the free P3, which lives in my glovebox. It's pretty much everything that you need a torch to be, and the added bonus that you can go from flood to spot single-handed makes it very versatile. And it runs on normal batteries.

I've also got a couple of Fenix (Fenixes? Feni?), which both use CR123 batteries, and shade the Lenser for outright performance. Fenix offer well-made, robust and versatile torches for (relatively) sensible money, and you can buy CR123's in bulk from places like 7dayshop.com.

Have a look at these guys: http://www.torchdirect.co.uk who provide a very good service and have a good range available.

Word of warning - torches can become addictive!

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Just seen the Lenser P7 on Amazon for £39 (or as low as £29.99 with another seller) & remembered this thread.

Seems an excellent price! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenser-8407-Tor ... B0018O7UAA

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point

Ian
    Yup - having bought a Surefire off SC here about three weeks ago, I have since bought 2 Fenix torches, and now looking for a keyring torch as well!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point

Ian
    Yup - having bought a Surefire off SC here about three weeks ago, I have since bought 2 Fenix torches, and now looking for a keyring torch as well!!!
    Try the LED Lenser keyring torch - haven't got a clue what the model number is, but it takes four small round batteries. I've got a Fenix keyring torch as well, which uses a AAA battery, but it's not as good as the Lenser.

I did a torch thread on here a couple of years ago, but I doubt if Search can find it. There was also a good torch thread over at the Old Folks' Home (RLT) a while back.

And if you search around on YouTube you can find videos of blokes with too much time on their hands who've built torches that they can start a fire with! :shock:
    I kid you not.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

I have a Fenix E05 keyring torch, it is perfect for my needs plus it takes a AAA I prefer torches with easy to find batteries.

Tescos do a decent one....they used to use Cree Leds but not now...still usesful, with a decent body :)

Fenix E15 keyring torch here...very good, not that I know much about them! Its a CR123 battery but I have a little stash of them!

Just got one of these....
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1010321267
    and its a remarkable piece of kit for the money- runs off 2x 3v camera batteries and has the cree bulb so battery life is good
    there are some fancier ones about, but not much to beat it for about 13 quid delivered, inc batteries and a belt pouch!
    Goat
    Also use a Peli Mitylite 1900 Zone 1 at work which ,for its size is excellent and also a Peli headtorch mounted on my hard hat- very useful.

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk

Enjoy, no affiliation etc but a very satisfied customer.

I own a few different flavours from Surefire to Fenix and HDS which I carry every day. The HDS is expensive but will be the last flashlight you ever buy, ever. Ever.

I rate the LED Lenser too. I have the MT7 which sort of a P7 with fancy features. The light output is amazing from AAA batteries, albeit 4 of them.

For a smaller but still high quality torch, I rate (and have) the Olight T25 and the Fenix L1D, both of which are AA battery models.

For a keychain torch. nothing beats the Photon II Micro Light in my opinion:

http://www.heinnie.com/Flashlights/Phot ... 7-269-844/

Craftsman

another vote for Led Lenser although I think mine is T7 model rather than P7 which has slightly different casing.

I've got a Photon micro-light on my keyring, which is tiny but very bright.

Craftsman

Head over to candlepowerforums.com for tons of reviews and advice (you think WIS are anal, you ain't seen nothing!)

I have a LED Lenser P3, it's OK but the focusing doesn't work and like most of the range they aren't designed to run on rechargeable batteries. Jetbeam, Fenix, Olight seem much better.

Lenser 7438 works for me......30 quid, tough and a good light.

Craftsman

Fenix Tk15 for me, and thetorchsite offer very good uk service.

I went on candlepower forum and could see me loosing more money than here on SC, so I ran and hid!

Master

I got a snap-on from Costo for less than 20 quid

Fabulous for working on the car where there's no mains power

Journeyman

I've got a Fenix LD20 which uses 2 AA batteries (easier to get hold of than those CR types) has 2 power modes and I'm very impressed with it for a pocket size torch, think it cost about £35 online

Andy

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable
    I've got a Fenix LD20 which uses 2 AA batteries (easier to get hold of than those CR types) has 2 power modes and I'm very impressed with it for a pocket size torch, think it cost about £35 online

Andy
    I bought one of those off ebay for that price, and then saw a second hand P2D, which does use the CR battery and got that very cheaply. So one may now need to go. Since my first purchase of a Surefire off SC here, I have now managed to buy 4 "tactical" torches... 8)

I've got a little Fenix on my keyring and it comes in handy time and time again. Far more powerful than it has any business to be as it's only powered by a AAA battery.

Sitting on the dock of eBay, Queensland, Australia

Received a P7 on Friday and very happy. Playing catch up with my mate who has the T7 which I think has a modified case for gun mounting.

Quote Originally Posted by TimD
    Head over to candlepowerforums.com for tons of reviews and advice (you think WIS are anal, you ain't seen nothing!)

I have a LED Lenser P3, it's OK but the focusing doesn't work and like most of the range they aren't designed to run on rechargeable batteries. Jetbeam, Fenix, Olight seem much better.

I'm also waiting on a P3 ordered last week, for my daughter when we're camping, and for in the car at other times.

I was going to buy some AAA Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries for both (4x in the P7 and 1x in the P3 +back ups). Is there something I've missed about using rechargables?

From the LED Lenser website
    its battery concept: one alkaline battery (AAA micro cell) costs about 25 Eurocent at the discount store and supplies power for many hours of light.
    The (rather annoying) modular system graphics make it look like a normal AAA battery.
    http://www.ledlenser.com.au/2009/ENG/pr ... rie/p3.php

I'd take a peek at candlepowerforums.com but like others I'm scared of the ensuing extra expenditure

Ian

EDIT: Risked a quick visit to cpf. I don't think my Physics 'O' level (1985?) knowledge is going to get me through the entrance exam :lol:
    Posts I found were from 2009 so I assume there might have been developments in both the led and the batteries since then.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Emeister
    EDIT: Risked a quick visit to cpf. I don't think my Physics 'O' level (1985?) knowledge is going to get me through the entrance exam :lol:
    Posts I found were from 2009 so I assume there might have been developments in both the led and the batteries since then.
    haha they still using the V=IR thing?!

Master

Plumped for the Lenser after the unanimous backing on here & yep it's a belter! :mrgreen:

Now then, I've seen the keyring one, it's ready to order. Just one question, anyone had them confiscated at Customs? Just a question, as I had my Surefire thoroughly scrutinized at Manchester airport as they thought it was a stun gun! :shock: I told them it was a torch with a modified light.

It'll be fastened to my keyring at all times.