closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Why are Italian sellers so cheap?

Why are Italian sellers so cheap?

I know of two trusted Italian sellers (I'm sure there are others), and by comparassion to other authorised dealers they are very cheap often undercutting grey market sellers. I saw a watch in the sales corner a few days ago, the price was over £600 and this was supposed to be with a discount. I just ordered the same watch for €480 + €50 DHL Shipping (no way would I trust the Italian postal system).

I frequently see second had examples selling in the sales corner that can be bought new with a 2 year warranty for less than the second hand price so what's the deal?
    Is there 0% vat on watches in Italy or something

Blog Entries

Re: Why are Italian sellers so cheap?

Does the term "Lombroso type" ring a bell? :lol:

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Stolen or 'fake' :?

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    Does the term "Lombroso type" ring a bell? :lol:

Daddel.

I'm from Italy mates :D
    It's a typical behaviour here, that's why I buy my watches abroad!!!

For example when i bough my Suunto Core I adviced the seller I could find the same watch for 30% less in spain...He said "I can make a 5€ discount" :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I obviously put my money into Spain economy...

It's also difficultt to make a good bargain both on new, used and vintage watches...vintage pieces that can be found in europe at 280-350€ are sold (or tried to be sold) here for 600€!
    That seems the best way to do business in crisis period :D

Master

I've always been curious about della Rocca Gioielli AKA Carol Exclusive Watches & Jewellery, does anyone have any experience?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MST
    I've always been curious about della Rocca Gioielli AKA Carol Exclusive Watches & Jewellery, does anyone have any experience?
    There were a few.................but they are dead now............... :lol:

Daddel.

Master

Like that is it, family run business ;)

I've seen their shop in Bologna but never dealt with them.
    It's a "real" jewelry, not only web-located.

Quote Originally Posted by Walnuts
    I know of two trusted Italian sellers (I'm sure there are others), and by comparassion to other authorised dealers they are very cheap often undercutting grey market sellers. I saw a watch in the sales corner a few days ago, the price was over £600 and this was supposed to be with a discount. I just ordered the same watch for €480 + €50 DHL Shipping (no way would I trust the Italian postal system).

I frequently see second had examples selling in the sales corner that can be bought new with a 2 year warranty for less than the second hand price so what's the deal?
    Is there 0% vat on watches in Italy or something
    It's because of stories like these that I will never ever buy in Italy: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=222562
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe

It's because of stories like these that I will never ever buy in Italy: http://tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=222562
    A dane get a scruffed watch and you blame a whole country :roll: ?

And some of the other replies in this thread is equally filled with not very charming prejudice

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by even neve

It's because of stories like these that I will never ever buy in Italy: http://tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=222562

And some of the other replies in this thread is equally filled with not very charming prejudice
    I've bought from Italy twice, just a bit of fun here, nothing to serious.
    It's like the Dutch and their cloggs..........

Daddel.

Master

Has this issue been resolved yet?

Hmm, I;ve bought twice from Italy and had similar experiences - so like I said in another thread - the Italians seem to really wear their watches and over hype the condition of them too - all in my own personal experience and nothing to do with the whole country - I've had nothing but good service and great times in Italy and I used to go there a hell of a lot - oh, except for Lake Garda - there the service and food was awful! :evil:
    It's just a matter of time...

Not quite. I travel a lot to Italy and have nothing against country or people. But there is something about online trading with Italian counterparts, this forum is littered with bad experience. And why is it that some of the largest online retailers refuse to do business with Italian counterparts? For me it is just a question of being save rather than sorry.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman

Italy really has a LOT of watchfans, the trading, buying and selling is a relatively big market. So, it always raises an eyebrow if an Italian cannot sell a piece in his own country, usually (but not always) there's something fishy about it then.

Only in Italy can a nice man in a watch shop, who seemed to know what he was doing, offer to buff a hi-dome on a lightly scored plexi (attached to a Comex) and polish the fupping thing to leave a flat spot! :evil:
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

I bought 2 watches for the price of one from Italy and everithing went well.Shipped with the Italian post and items as described.... and from a member with zero feedback. Not everyone is bad overthere

I have bought from Italy on several occasions.
    Chrono24 individual sellers, Ebay members, dealers.
    Never had a problem so far.
    And prices are lower
    And you can even find watches that no-one else has spotted (I still have a Lemania 5100 Lorenz TT that cost me £100 - It's ugly but the movement alone is worth a lot more).
    You just have to be careful, like you would when buying from anywhere.

I do think that watch collecting is a much larger and more established part of the culture in Italy than it is here. So pro rata, there is a lot more on the market.

And when Italy has the predominance of watches like the DeLuca, Zenith Cairelli, UG Cairelli and Leonidas AMI, it's somewhere that definitely commands some attention.

Dave

Why are Italian sellers so cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by sweets
    I have bought from Italy on several occasions.
    Chrono24 individual sellers, Ebay members, dealers.
    Never had a problem so far.
    And prices are lower
    And you can even find watches that no-one else has spotted (I still have a Lemania 5100 Lorenz TT that cost me £100 - It's ugly but the movement alone is worth a lot more).
    You just have to be careful, like you would when buying from anywhere.

I do think that watch collecting is a much larger and more established part of the culture in Italy than it is here. So pro rata, there is a lot more on the market.

And when Italy has the predominance of watches like the DeLuca, Zenith Cairelli, UG Cairelli and Leonidas AMI, it's somewhere that definitely commands some attention.

Dave
    +1 Many watches, never a problem. But I don't want to publicise that too much, as the reason why prices are low is probably because everyone is crapping themselves! :D

Craftsman

Same here. Have bought a few times from Italians without any probs..I do recognize their incapability to describe the condition of a watch but then again that goes for so many others..Good pics are key to avoid any disappointment.

I'd say: fake or stolen (or a combination of the two)

Lying on a watch description is not confined to the Italians, there are watches on Chrono24 and eBay advertised by substantial jewellers both in Europe and the States that are described as new and are clearly marked and often worn.

My first major purchase on here was from member W66OCH, it was described as mint and perfect and came with both cosmetic and mechanical issues. One can never be too careful and I would suggest that in advance of purchase, stipulate that you will require a full refund if you are not happy and ensure that the establishment will give you one before handing over the cash.

Safest bet is to travel and view and any watch that I contemplate over £3-4k gets this sort of treatment unless purchased from someone I know and have dealt with before.

On the subject of Italy, I am a big fan of Aurora pens, they have no UK agent and I need to deal with Italy direct for servicing and repair. They are a nightmare generally so I can understand the reticence of those advising against dealing.

This for example has been desctibed as "barely worn" just look at it!!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Seam...item20c45686a3

Master

I'd maybe not purchase online from Italy, but as I'm a great fan of the food and culture (and the country in general), I'd use that as an excuse for a long weekend there to check the watch in person. ;)