closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prometheus

Re: Prometheus

Prometheus stole fire from the gods and gave it to mankind. For his crime he was bound to a rock where his liver was eaten by an eagle overnight, only to regenerate the following day and then the cycle repeated.

Prometheus Unbound is a drama by Shelley and also a brass band test piece by Granville Bantock (what a great name).

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Prometheus stole fire from the gods and gave it to mankind. For his crime he was bound to a rock where his liver was eaten by an eagle overnight, only to regenerate the following day and then the cycle repeated.

Prometheus Unbound is a drama by Shelley and also a brass band test piece by Granville Bantock (what a great name).

Eddie

That's the main story known about prometheus, but in legend, he also gave mankind the ability to learn mathematics, arts, etc, he was regarded as the champion of mankind, so i would say maybe the naming is more in context with this.

It would be cool if they had a character named Granville Bantock in the film :wink: .

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Booked tickets yesterday for me and Sam to see it on Friday night, and inadvertently pressed the Sunday night button. That's two unnecessary sleeps :evil:

Craftsman

Charlize is in it. That's enough for me. Sold. :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by gregbuc
    what is it about a woman in a tight spacesuit that's so ......

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats
    Quote Originally Posted by gregbuc
    what is it about a woman in a tight spacesuit that's so ......

I never wanted to actually be a space suit before, but I find myself changing my mind! 8)

Journeyman

Watched the trailer for this the other night on the couch and the Mrs wasn't biting at all. I can't wait.

I'll convince her to go eventually but I need to figure what else is out that she wants to see so I can go to that as a trade off.

That pic of Charlize really is slightly hypnotic.

Craftsman

The other half flatly refuses to go on the grounds it might be too scary :roll:

I swear to God if anyone around me blabs about this before i get to see it i'll commit a murder :evil:

I've read a few reviews floating around on t'internet and sadly it seems the movie suffers from a few weaknesses.

Such a pity as I'm a fan and had high expectations. Below is one of the kinder comments in a review ... :twisted:

For all the visual bells and whistles, Sir Ridley has taken his own cinematic gold and sadly spun straw. Unlike Lucas, he can be forgiven for this middling attempt at a prequel but if this is a sign of things to come he'd do well to leave Blade Runner sequel-less.

I just got back from seeing it (0001 showing!) and the best word I can think to describe it is 'meh'. Visually it is stunning, the 3D is superb and I would expect at the IMAX it would be the dogs dangly bits, but the plot was just too thin for me. I didn't care who lived or died, and the two big reveals were really, really obvious. There also wasn't enough violence or scenes that made me jump like the old films did; I didn't really feel the tension.

If you've got an Orange Wednesday or free tickets then go, but don't cancel plans to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duff Beer
    I just got back from seeing it (0001 showing!) and the best word I can think to describe it is 'meh'. Visually it is stunning, the 3D is superb and I would expect at the IMAX it would be the dogs dangly bits, but the plot was just too thin for me. I didn't care who lived or died, and the two big reveals were really, really obvious. There also wasn't enough violence or scenes that made me jump like the old films did; I didn't really feel the tension.

If you've got an Orange Wednesday or free tickets then go, but don't cancel plans to see it.
    Yeah, this is the tone of general reviews, visual masterpiece, beginning and end scenes magnificient, the rest of it however(flow of script, tension, holes in plot), very sad.

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by MrLion
    I've read a few reviews floating around on t'internet and sadly it seems the movie suffers from a few weaknesses.

Such a pity as I'm a fan and had high expectations. Below is one of the kinder comments in a review ... :twisted:

For all the visual bells and whistles, Sir Ridley has taken his own cinematic gold and sadly spun straw. Unlike Lucas, he can be forgiven for this middling attempt at a prequel but if this is a sign of things to come he'd do well to leave Blade Runner sequel-less.
    I'll wait until Prometheus comes out on DVD, I suspect. Blade Runner didn't get very good reviews when it came out. It was too bleak (now, bleak is the new bright and happy), and it ended "not with a bang, but a whimper".

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier

I'll wait until Prometheus comes out on DVD, I suspect. Blade Runner didn't get very good reviews when it came out. It was too bleak (now, bleak is the new bright and happy), and it ended "not with a bang, but a whimper".

Best wishes,
    Bob
    True, I recall a similar thing happening with Shawshank, however in this instance I suspect it's actually just a weak plot with very thin characters. I would try and see it at the cinema in 3D as the opening scenes are shot beautifully and they alone justify the ticket fee. Just leave when they wake up on the ship.

Off to watch it on IMAX tonight. Should be good.

I've been looking forward to this one but the reviews have put me off going to see it a bit. I'll keep an eye on this and see what you guys make of it I think.

Craftsman

Spoilers below..........

I saw this earlier this evening and am still undecided on it. I'm pretty sure its good, and probably very good.... but I watched it through Alien tinted glasses and (as any sci-fi film would) it suffers by comparison.

As others have said before it a beautiful film to watch, with one majestically framed scene after another. Character developement is limited, it drags in phases and lacks sustained suspence or tension.

I got the story and (MAJOR Spoiler alert......) the fact that they were not on the same planet as featured in Alien/Aliens (without being a total geek and knowing the planet number) and did like the whole premise that this planet was in fact a genetic laboratory - the scienceof which will eventually produce the perfect killing machine of Alien.

So finishing where I started I'm pretty sure its a 7-8/10 movie, good but with flaws and not up to the masterpiece that is Alien.

Edit: I really would recommend seeing this on the big screen btw, if only for the stunning visuals. Due to the 2D show being on at the wrong time for me, I saw the 3D version and was very pleasently surprised that it really did add something to the experience. This is not a film for the small scene where you just won't get the visual wow factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Redd
    Spoilers below..........

I saw this earlier this evening and am still undecided on it. I'm pretty sure its good, and probably very good.... but I watched it through Alien tinted glasses and (as any sci-fi film would) it suffers by comparison.

As others have said before it a beautiful film to watch, with one majestically framed scene after another. Character developement is limited, it drags in phases and lacks sustained suspence or tension.

I got the story and (MAJOR Spoiler alert......) the fact that they were not on the same planet as featured in Alien/Aliens (without being a total geek and knowing the planet number) and did like the whole premise that this planet was in fact a genetic laboratory - the scienceof which will eventually produce the perfect killing machine of Alien.

So finishing where I started I'm pretty sure its a 7-8/10 movie, good but with flaws and not up to the masterpiece that is Alien.

Edit: I really would recommend seeing this on the big screen btw, if only for the stunning visuals. Due to the 2D show being on at the wrong time for me, I saw the 3D version and was very pleasently surprised that it really did add something to the experience. This is not a film for the small scene where you just won't get the visual wow factor.
    Just got home from seeing this. Agree with all of the above. See it in Imax if you can but 3d may be an acceptable substitute.

Don't watch looking for answers as it raises more than it answers.

Craftsman

Just home as well. My god, it fullfilled my expectations. Have waited a year for this. I had to see Alien yesterday just to get in the right mood. I don't like 3D so it was good ole 2D for me. A must to see on the cinema!

Charlize is a bonus!

Cheers,
    Ketil

Watched it yesterday evening, I am a combination of a little disappointed and confused.
    The story is fragmented and lacking in depth. Quite a few things make no sense to me currently.

Blog Entries

It was good but some of the characters were under developed. I can see spoofs for the national lampoons squad doing dancing cobra huggers while someone plays a flute, stupid scientists trying to hand feed aliens like like fluffy pets. No real representation of a proper scientists. Too many cartoony characters that were throw away. You cant police no underwear i guess.

Thomas Reid

As a complete aside, I want to see Ill Manors, as I taught the star, Riz Ahmed, and only recently found out that he has made it pretty big in films. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS I have a copy of the letter of reference I wrote when he was applying for a place at acting school. Perhaps I should keep it as a souvenir.
    RLF

Well, I saw the flick earlier today, 3D version.

Despite my misgivings, having read some reviews, I am actually quite happy with the movie, enjoyed it thoroughly.

What some people are possibly missing is that (and Ridders does point this out through the marketing campaign) they have created a story that is not a direct prequel but rather draws from the 'DNA' of the original Alien movie (which is a masterpiece as we all know).

I enjoyed the technological innovation shown, the sets were superb, cinematography first class and the whole concept and where the story has been left is great.

The script could perhaps have been a little more robust, certainly this first movie is introducing slightly different beasties, which perhaps we aren't to fully understand and try to equate to the original Alien (and life cycle etc) - also, I don't mind when scriptwriters or directors use a little artictic licence when telling a story, especially sci fi.

Characters and acting: David steals the show and Noomi comes through to toughen up a little a la Ripley.

There are some unanswered questions and that's the way it should be: to stimulate 'what if' thoughts (and to pave the way for another 2 flicks

Presumably I'm right in thinking this could form the first part of a trilogy, which will move further and further away from the original Alien, which as far as I see it was the intention anyway.

Anyways those are my thoughts #1 movie of the year for me, and I hope they get on with the next one.

Craftsman

Just got back from seeing this too... Wasn't half as good as I expected it to be (Alien), but it wasn't _that_ bad really... I was hoping for a lot more answers though! Really disappointed with that...

Seeking some answers please.

1. The aliens rather than the engineers.
    What is the link between the snake things swimming around in black stuff and the squid like things ?
    What is in the vases ? small snakes ? confused as the vase that David takes to pieces does not have snakes ?
    What is it that David infects the smiley scientist with and why ?
    What is it that the smiley scientist turns into ? and the other crew member who attacks the crew at the cargo entrance?
    They both seem to be turning into something but what ?
    I don't get the sequence of alien life stages, small chip David infected smiley with, small snake, big snake, small squid,
    large squid, back to large snake, then finally original alien looking thing.
    Disjointed collection of nonsense for me.

2. This there are other ships.
    If so would there not be engineers on them ?
    Surely they would have contained a bio accident on one ship to just one ship and destroyed it ?

3. The start of the movie.
    If the engineers DNA is the same as humans, an exact match why are they physically different ?
    If the first alien sacrificed himself to seed a sterile Earth, where did all the other Earth life forms come from ?
    i.e trees, fish, spiders, birds etc ?

Blog Entries

Only Ridley has the answer.

My take is-Snake things merged with worms that were already in the 'Head' room before the 'atmosphere' was changed that released the goo. David takes a vase and drops a blob of goo in smiley guys drink. He appears to change into a zombie thug.

THE ENGINEERS : The DNA maybe the same but the different climates /locations cause the evolution to take a diffferent stance hence size issues. The other engineers in other ships maybe be in hypersleep/cyrostasis but who knows as we never see this.

The smiley guy was infected so hence his sperm when he bones shaw will be radically changed. It produces a squid that (has human dna) that later merges with a space jockey who in turn has human dna so each time the strand is being refined and is comig round to look more alien (xenomoprph 1979) each time.
    The next film will tell if there is... Who knows maybe different vases have different strengths potency?

Personally I find the engineers more intersting than alien and am glad ridley scott never completely connected the dots.

The question is who made the space jockeys and shaws question why make humans (because they can to paraphrase smiley man)

Blog Entries

also its just a film> Ridley scotts film so he can do whatever he wants. If it was made with all our questions and postulations it wuld be shit. To paraphrase meredith vickers weylands daughter - " If this was your trillion dollar program we would be following your agenda, your an employee"

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    As a complete aside, I want to see Ill Manors, as I taught the star, Riz Ahmed, and only recently found out that he has made it pretty big in films. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS I have a copy of the letter of reference I wrote when he was applying for a place at acting school. Perhaps I should keep it as a souvenir.
    RLF
    Plan B's iLL Manors: 'This is the true, dark reality'
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/ma ... NTCMP=SRCH

I was looking through this the other day. Well worth checking out the whole article and videos within. Strangely enough TED (the online University) is also featured on Prometheus.

I saw Prometheus last night. The 3D was good. I give the film 6 out of 10.

Basically the Engineers aren't any more clever than us (as we are of the same stuff) and they have been meddling with things they shouldn't be meddling with. I thought the reviving the dead (for a few minutes) scene was done much better in the last episode of FRINGE. That was truly disturbing.

To be honest I had more fun watching Iron Sky which is too wrong in so many ways and funny too.

Iron Sky (2012)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py_IndUbcxc
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034314/

Sarah Palin as US President and Moon Nazis. Very Monty Python.

Trivia: More than 10 percent of funding for this film came from fans. It cost 7.5 mil euro and looks like a 100 mil film. On May 20, 2012, was announced that there are plans for a prequel and a sequel.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Well, I saw it with my son last night, and we thoroughly enjoyed the 3D version; were now settled down watching Alien again on Blue Ray.

That said, I only worked out this morning what the significance of the first scene was!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    Well, I saw it with my son last night, and we thoroughly enjoyed the 3D version; were now settled down watching Alien again on Blue Ray.

That said, I only worked out this morning what the significance of the first scene was!

Do tell Tony :bounce: I only saw it yesterday too, but was a bit puzzled about the significance of the opening scene - I had thought that the disintegrating ' engineer' (?) provided the catalyst for the growth of the human race? But what did he drink then and why?

Quote Originally Posted by williec

Do tell Tony :bounce: I only saw it yesterday too, but was a bit puzzled about the significance of the opening scene - I had thought that the disintegrating ' engineer' (?) provided the catalyst for the growth of the human race? But what did he drink then and why?
    PM'd to save spoiling.

PM'd to save spoiling.
    Would you be kind enough to PM me too :)

PM'd to save spoiling.
    Would you be kind enough to PM me too :)
    Me also. Would be interesting to know your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by drhexagon

I thought he just got accidentally infected by his own stuff.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Quote Originally Posted by drhexagon

I thought he just got accidentally infected by his own stuff.

john
    I don't think so, he was wearing a cloak and then what looked like some kinda ceremonial undercrackers :)

Ceremony being the point I think

Quote Originally Posted by Redd
    Spoilers below..........

Just saw it, it is a good film. Well I enjoyed it anyway. I think fans expectations was for a masterpiece and that was a tall order. Best sci-fi horror ive seen since Event Horizon.

The space-jockey/engineer beings look like they spend a lot of time at the gym :D

Go see it in 3d or IMAX don't wait for DVD.

Prometheus

I'm a big fan of Alien and Aliens, saw this at the weekend and was really underwhelmed. I wasn't expecting it to be another Alien, and I know you are expected to 'join the dots' in your own mind, but the plot has more holes than Swiss cheese IMHO, just lazily written and stupid :-(
    The people don't act or react like people, the scientists don't act like scientists, lots of logic and errors littered throughout, too many to lost and I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but many reviews seem to spot the exact goofs I spotted. A real shame, Phantom menace 2!

Master

We're off to see this in a minute - I'm looking forward to it but having read all the opinions here I'm not expecting much! At least it's half price courtesy of Orange :)

I came across this review after seeing the movie and it pretty much describes how I feel about it. Beware of spoilers!

http://www.joeabercrombie.com/2012/06/04/prometheus/

In watch news though, I noticed two characters wearing Oris watches, one of them a BC4 Flight Timer like my own.

Journeyman

Seen it this afternoon and after reading so many negative reviews I thought I was going to be disapointed but really enjoyed it.
    Will be interesting to see which route he goes with the follow up.
    First time watching a film in 3D and it certainly adds to the film.

Quote Originally Posted by JS1873
    Seen it this afternoon and after reading so many negative reviews I thought I was going to be disapointed but really enjoyed it.
    Will be interesting to see which route he goes with the follow up.
    First time watching a film in 3D and it certainly adds to the film.
    Agree about the benefit of watching in 3D - really good effects :thumbleft:

Master
    Blog Entries

Went and saw it after work today, really enjoyed it. The scenery visuals are a work of art. Yes, the story has some holes in it but they didn't spoil it for me. I disagree slightly about the 3D, I'm not sure the film would have suffered in its absence - my opinion for the majority of 3D films.

Perhaps someone should add SPOILERS to the title of this thread.

Agree with the above post. 3d doesn't really add anything to the atmosphere or story. Would be equally as good on a normal screen.

I don't think it's a true prequel, more of a reboot.

Saw this yesterday, truly awful, like a badly edited MTV music video.
    It was like the writers of each major scene were different and had never met each other.
    Utterly stupid and pointless characters, a biologist talking to and treating an anemic snake looking thing as a fluffy bunny.

How does a 12" squid thing turn into a giant octopus in 1 day ? what does it eat to grow so fast when locked in a medical lab ?
    Continuity fail after continuity fail, when they first take off their helmets they are then seen further into the structure with out
    their helmets, helmets they are going to need to get back to the ship.
    How does the severed head of David carry on talking ? what is its power source ?

The film lacked plot, intelligent dialogue, character development etc. etc.
    A few special effects don't make up for the lack of fundamentals that make a good story/film.
    The Director should be ashamed of himself.

Turkey of the year for me.
    Nearly as bad as Avatar - dumb cluck American grunt makes good - booooring !!

^I'd edit the swearing before the Boss sees. The other day, it was going to be post and user deletion for the next offender.

OK, well I watched it in 3D on the morning of June 1st, but resisted the temptation to make a knee-jerk review.

The truth is I was so disappointed after seeing it that I had to re-watch Alien just to confirm in my mind that Prometheus as a film was poor, and it is poor.
    Now don’t get me wrong, visually Prometheus is good looking. The 3D is good, particularly in the scenes where there are “holographic” depictions, but the film does not compare to the subtleties of Alien.
    But that doesn’t matter, I wasn’t expecting Alien, and I knew Prometheus wasn’t a direct Alien prequel.
    As many others have said, the acting is on the whole poor, but I don’t blame the actors as they have to deal with the script they are given. Fassbender is the star, but that’s a pretty poor accolade on the evidence of his performance.
    The script is poor but again don’t get me wrong, I think the narrative is rather good. I’m happy with the “Alien” part of the simple story line, and it is simple – read it on the interweb – going from what appears to be biological weaponry to a “Xenomorph” genetic creation, potentially oviparous.

So on the whole, a disappointing film in its own right, but I have my fingers crossed for an extended Blu-ray version that will go some way to resolving script issues.
    It certainly could have been a great film, the narrative was there for me. If I’d have known beforehand that the re-write scrip was done by one of the writers responsible for “Lost”, I probably wouldn’t have made the effort to see it. Draw your own conclusions on that one. What does surprise me is that there hasn’t been a religious zealots backlash, but hey, there’s still time, it doesn’t open in the US until June 8th.

Craftsman

Saw this last night and well it's definitely worth a watch. Great in parts and a bit average in others.
    The story line on the whole was good but some of the characters were a bit much. As said some of the visuals are stunning along with the special effects.

I didn't like the geologist [ I think that's what he was, the guy with tattoos on his head who went off with the Biologist ] to over the top.
    The captain didn't really act like a captain for me but the others were Ok to good.
    It is a good film but it could have been so much better.
    I don't want say much more as it may spoil it for others.

I think the next one will be better and I do hope they make it.

Can't wait to go and see it! Hope it is as huge as I expect :)

I'm passing after seeing the trailers and hearing a few reputable reviews. After seeing The Avengers, there's nowhere to go but down anyways.

I'll rent in a few months.