closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: tethering and phone contracts

tethering and phone contracts

3 do a sim that has all you can eat data.

The terms of use state - 'SIM plans with All-you-can-eat data do not allow tethering (except for the One Plan). If you would like to tether, you will need to choose a Pay Monthly plan and / or an Add-On that does allow tethering.'

Does this mean I cannot use the data allowance on my ipad, as the ipad is wifi only?

thanks

Re: tethering and phone contracts

Quote Originally Posted by samswatch
    3 do a sim that has all you can eat data.

The terms of use state - 'SIM plans with All-you-can-eat data do not allow tethering (except for the One Plan). If you would like to tether, you will need to choose a Pay Monthly plan and / or an Add-On that does allow tethering.'

Does this mean I cannot use the data allowance on my ipad, as the ipad is wifi only?

thanks
    Yes - only the one plan allows tethering, as stated.

All you can eat is for the sim element only.

Interesting - I had a conversation with one of the call handlers of my mobile phone provider who said that 'you're not supposed to tether but as long as don't tonk it, you'll be fine'.

I took that to mean that I could use my unlimited data plan on my mobile to tether to the laptop occasionally so long as it was reasonable use.

However, do you think the restriction is:

Electronic (i.e. the provider can stop you doing it)?

Guidance (i.e. they'd rather you didn't but there's nothing to stop you)?

Legal (i.e. you can do it but they can tell and there could be repercussions)? :?

thanks - will need to get a different plan or a galaxy note!

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega
    Interesting - I had a conversation with one of the call handlers of my mobile phone provider who said that 'you're not supposed to tether but as long as don't tonk it, you'll be fine'.

I took that to mean that I could use my unlimited data plan on my mobile to tether to the laptop occasionally so long as it was reasonable use.

Legal (i.e. you can do it but they can tell and there could be repercussions)? :?

Worth O2 and an iPhone the answer is 1, the tethering option (personal hotspot) just wasn't available untilI moved to the 'correct' iphone tarriff as it was disabled in the o2 profile, it did work with another SIM card for another provider though.

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega

Worth O2 and an iPhone the answer is 1, the tethering option (personal hotspot) just wasn't available untilI moved to the 'correct' iphone tarriff as it was disabled in the o2 profile, it did work with another SIM card for another provider though.
    Ah, ok thanks.

OP, it sounds like robcuk and I are in a slightly different position from you.

Craftsman

as far as I can tell on three UK they can't actually tell if you're tethering from Android device.... so I would say it is guidance/legal more than anything else.
    I never had any special tethering plan and always have tethered occasionally when I needed to, both on contract and PAYG

Quote Originally Posted by mac83
    as far as I can tell on three UK they can't actually tell if you're tethering from Android device.... so I would say it is guidance/legal more than anything else.
    I never had any special tethering plan and always have tethered occasionally when I needed to, both on contract and PAYG
    This!

I have an Android phone and an unlimited O2 contract and they've never twigged (I've used it in lieu of broadband on a couple of occasions whilst awaiting connection).

Cheers,

We have had phones from "3" for years now and it's my only internet in the house, I've used it with a cable and a Nokia and with the current HTC by cable and wi-fi, it's easier just to plug it in than mess about with the wi-fi setup. I work shifts so watch a lot of stuff later online on iplayers as well as the usual stuff and I've never had a problem.