closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zenith - what would you buy?

Master

Zenith - what would you buy?

A brand that I have overlooked and I now desire a watch with an El Primero movement. Wonder what you would buy if you have the fund? A striking 10 is an obvious choice but would value your thoughts. :)

Re: Zenith - what would you buy?

Either of these:-

Striking 10
    Tri colour 36VPH
    Or the new 1969 Chrono-open

May be the Captain

Craftsman

Captain Chronograph, in my case silver dial with rose gold hands and hour markers. You may like other dial variants.

http://www.zenith-watches.com/en/#/collection/flow/4/10

Master

Pilot chrono' would be my choice, understated & very cool IMO.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have two watches with the El Primero.

I chose the chronomaster, because for me it is the El Primero's finest moment with the triple date moon as well as the column wheel chrono. a truly magnificent peice of watchmaking.

My other is the rainbow. I chose that because it uses the simpler original form of the El Primero chrono. Without going so vintage that i had to put up with an acrylic crystal (I hate them) :)

If I had to chose another, and I very likely will one day. It would be the Winsor Annual calendar. I like the principal of an Annual calendar complication. I like that they have used Oeschlin's magnificent design work in the way they have created the complication. Possibly the most effective and practical annual calendar in production.

Zenith currently have a fantastic range IMO. The simple Ultra Thin or sportier Espada are great, and the Striking 10th or Winsor Annual Calendar offer interesting complications for the money.

The more I see the Espada the more I like it. At 40mm it is everyday wearable and has the first non chrono version of the El Primero movement. Looks great in stainless steel but even better in Rose Gold on leather strap.

Master

I would def get the Striking 10th, (i just got mine)

The pilots are nice, but I don't like the lettering "Pilot" on them, neither "Special".

I think the striking 10th is an amazing but unique movement to have and also these are limited editions. Also my striking 10th has been extremely accurate as well.

Master

Thanks. Their range suddenly has expanded and there are more watches to consider :) :)

As Java has said the Chronomaster El Primero would be a great choice, I still regret selling mine :(

Quote Originally Posted by RickS
    Captain Chronograph, in my case silver dial with rose gold hands and hour markers. You may like other dial variants.

This too or this http://www.zenith-watches.com/en/#/collection/flow/3/29 (the striking 10 in 38mm ,as the 42mm version is too big )

Zenith now make some serious watches , onecan get a time only watch for 3k or chrono for 4.5k before discount.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny

This too or this http://www.zenith-watches.com/en/#/collection/flow/3/29 (the striking 10 in 38mm ,as the 42mm version is too big )

Zenith now make some serious watches , onecan get a time only watch for 3k or chrono for 4.5k before discount.

The 38mm VPH isn't a Striking Tenth, is it?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by fivelittlefish

The 38mm VPH isn't a Striking Tenth, is it?
    Nope its not. The striking 10th is 42mm

if money were no object, i would have a christophe colomb for sure. however, would settle for either of

el primero 36000 VpH
    captain central second
    captain chronograph

WoS in glasgow are having their omega range removed because of the boutique opening round the corner from it but replacing it with zenith. can't wait to get in and try a few on

Zenith is a manufacturer I've never been too struck on, but that has changed over the past 18 months or so.

Would love a Striking 10, and having seen the Doublematic at Basel, that seems an awful lot of watch for the money.

Whilst not an El Primero, really like the limited big pilot they launched, type 20? Seems huge but it didn't wear too big on the chap who had it on.

Can see me breaking my Zenith duck this year.

Malc

Journeyman

No as mentioned that's not a Striking 10th - I think the confusion arrises from use of the same colour scheme in this one - it's a beautiful watch none the less

Quote Originally Posted by paddyh117

No as mentioned that's not a Striking 10th - I think the confusion arrises from use of the same colour scheme in this one - it's a beautiful watch none the less
    My apologies, looks the same. :D

Master

Would have to be the striking 10th stratos fly back for me.just been looking at one in the window at WOS. Just the right size at 45.5mm!
    Beautiful.

Journeyman

It does look the same - and if i was getting one it would be the one i'd get because of my skinny wrists!!, albeit i'd have to forego the Split-Second complication

I already own and love an El Primero rainbow - but I would certainly be twitching on buying this beauty

It is currently on SC, but nobody buy it because I still believe I am going to get it :lol:

El primero 1969 or the open heart series.

One Stratos black for me please :P . Just look at that thing!!!

Apprentice
    I know I'm reviving a dead horse, but I fell in love with a Captain Central Second (with the rose gold indices) in the window of Berry's Newcastle, and can't get it out of my head...

Quote Originally Posted by RickS View Post

A really nice and much-overlooked watch. I sold mine to a friend but, not having received payment (after two months!) for it yet, it could well be returning to the fold very soon indeed...

Edit - I just noticed how old this thread is!

either mid 2,000's Chronomaster, or the new 410, both of which have one of the finest El Primero movements, 410 with column wheel chrono, triple date, moonphase

Master
    What bothers me is the size of the movement in relation to the size of the watch. When you look at the back, it just appears abit small.

Personally though I quite like this one:

http://image.rakuten.co.jp/jackroad/...2/zn176_im.jpg

Blog Entries
    I also overlooked Zenith for a long time, so eventually grabbed hold of a Pilot Chrono el Primero, very satisfied with its 'wearability' and appearance in the flesh.

Tag-Heuer outlet at Bicester Village (was there yesterday, didn't buy....) has some very good discounts on their Zenith collection....

Last edited by ingenioren; 5th March 2014 at 20:15.

Master
    Whats the 38mm model called?

Craftsman
    Would have to be the Zenith El Primero New Vintage 1969 for me. I just love the case shape.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    What bothers me is the size of the movement in relation to the size of the watch. When you look at the back, it just appears abit small.

Personally though I quite like this one:

http://image.rakuten.co.jp/jackroad/...2/zn176_im.jpg
    Very nice. Is this a current model?

It would have to be the El Primero Stratos Flyback Striking 10th. Fabulous watch in a great size...

Simon

Craftsman
    One of my favourite brands and have had more Zeniths over the years than any other, currently got 2 special ones, both were gifts .....would love a Striking 10th, but 42mm is just about getting on the "too big" size for my skinny wrists, so I prefer the original 38mm size Zeniths

Zenith have a great range now, the best for a long while, so much choice depending whether you want a sports/tool watch or dress watch theres something for every occasion

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sunster View Post
    Whats the 38mm model called?

thats the Zenith El Primero New Vintage 1969 like I have. Although Zenith also have a few other different styles in 38mm case size, marketed "for ladies" im not sure that many ladies want to wear a watch that appears large on their wrists....

or just search down an original A386 from 1970 ish ...usually you can find one for £2500-3000, although not as wearable IMO with plexiglass and not really water resistant like a modern watch ....

Last edited by bogie; 6th March 2014 at 10:23.

I would love one of these!

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    It would have to be the El Primero Stratos Flyback Striking 10th. Fabulous watch in a great size...

Simon
    One man's 'great size' is a another man's 'ridiculous size' though ;)

On the fact that it's a fabulous watch, you get no argument at all, just brilliant. But I couldn't wear mine and flipped it quickly for a horrific loss :(

Quote Originally Posted by djkennedy67 View Post
    I would love one of these!

If that's the Striking 10th, then that's the one for me too. The hand (and movement) are mesmerising.

I'd probably go for the stratos. Not an easy choice though. So many great zeniths to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by bogie View Post
    or just search down an original A386 from 1970 ish ...usually you can find one for £2500-3000
    I agree. But they are more like £4000-£6000 these days. The A386 has really appreciated recently.

Journeyman
    I would take black Stratos. Lovely.

Craftsman
    Nice thread, and nice watches!
    Zenith was not on my radar, will have to look at some in the flesh.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    I'd probably go for the stratos. Not an easy choice though. So many great zeniths to choose from.

I agree. But they are more like £4000-£6000 these days. The A386 has really appreciated recently.
    really?wow

/goes off looking....not that mine will be sold....not unless I turn out to be a poor pensioner one day ......

Master
    This and no other:

Well, with dates in English, perhaps.

Espada. Quietly distinguished and ever-so-slightly offbeat.

Wow, old thread.
    Here's what I bought since... I tried a Striking Tenth, but found it too big.

Craftsman
    very nice, really classy yet discrete

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394384802.352778.jpg

This one would do me nicely thank you very much...

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Espada. Quietly distinguished and ever-so-slightly offbeat.

Yep, I would have gone for that, but IIRC the case (for my taste) is too small at 40mm......

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    I now desire a watch with an El Primero movement.
    They will only convince me when they will make a watch with El Primero movement that looks like IWC top gun.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bogie View Post
    One of my favourite brands and have had more Zeniths over the years than any other, currently got 2 special ones, both were gifts .....would love a Striking 10th, but 42mm is just about getting on the "too big" size for my skinny wrists, so I prefer the original 38mm size Zeniths

Zenith have a great range now, the best for a long while, so much choice depending whether you want a sports/tool watch or dress watch theres something for every occasion
    Whats your wrist size?

Craftsman
    6 1/2"

38mm is about right for me