closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Review : Girard-Perregaux Sea Hawk Pro 3000m

Review : Girard-Perregaux Sea Hawk Pro 3000m

After having it for a couple of days, I want to write down my impression for the watch that I have been longing for, including materials from the Internet.

(1) The brand

I heard of the brand when I was still a kid and had the impression that it was a very very classical, or old fashion brand that made mostly gold or jewelry watches. Not until 4 decades later I saw the Sea Hawk pictures and I was totally surprised by the twist. There have been several generations of Sea Hawk and see some of the picture here.

http://blog.yahoo.com/_2UJJ5DTT4G3Q26PR ... awk+II+Pro

(2) The Case is made of titanium with the characteristics of being light-weighted, heat conductive and gray in colour. Indeed I have familiarized myself with all these as I have several ti watches but one thing that I notice is that ti can pick up watermarks and leave some kind of dirt which in fact can be wiped off. The elongated crown guard from the case is another feature that I like. It might look exaggerated, in particularly given the 44mm x 55mm case. The whole case is brushed that I prefer rather than partly polished in another version. 22mm thick causes practical problems attracting scratches from any thing walks by.

Two helium escape valves (HEV) situate at 2:30 and 9:00 and are arguably unnecessary. Anyway, it makes the watch more unique and I like it.

(2) Crown..humongous, deeply fluted, 9mm signed. The GP logo is much better shaped than the "S" in Seiko. It takes more than 4 to 5 turns to completely lock.

(3) The sapphire is slightly domed that becomes more visible when turn to the side, casting bluish in reflection under strong sun light while seems transparent indoor.

(4) The bezel is a heavily notched, dual layer, I believe, with raised numbers like the Rolex Yacht Master and a lume pip at the 12. It is 120-click unidirectional, the bezel turns fairly easily and seems to be used metal ring rather than rubber that makes it sound crisp. The only complaint I have is the lack of lume on the minute makers, hardly practical when used in professional diving.

(5) The rubber strap is neither too hard as the Seiko MM's nor soft like silicone. It is 22mm and tapering to 19mm near the clasp. There is 5-level of micro adjustment built on the clasp which is twofold and one over the other . It took me a day to figure out the correct combination and it now sits comfortably.

(6) The case back is screwed in and the sea serpent / dragon emblem is beautifully carved. I notice that the emblem on the limited edition is even more refined and detailed than this normal version.

(7) The movement. The official web site reveals it to be a highly decorated GP033RO base movement that other functions have been built on it. I notice that it is exceptionally soft to wind and very quiet. Not till I realize the change in the power reserve indicator, I hardly believe the winding is functioning properly. Mine maintains +5/s daily in the past few days. Quick set date and hacking are possible. I heard that there have been problems with this GP movement and mine was sent back for service only few months after purchase by the original owner for periodically stopping.

(8) The dial and hands. The dial could have been better made to commensurate its listed price. Actually I prefer the small second hand and the orange ploprof hands version in this 1000m. Lum is as good as in most of the Seiko diver watches. Date window at 6 to 9 minute position is another unique feature of this watch and I can see that the dial be 2mm thick from the depth of the window.

(9) Value for money. Really depending on purchasing new or used. I think it is listed around US$10k and I have it at 1/3. Probably expect no appreciation in future value and better buy your Rolex instead.

(10) Score: (1 to 10)

Design: 8
    Material: 8
    Accuracy: 7
    Brand prestige: 8
    Uniqueness: 10
    Appreciation in value: 0

Master

Re: Review : Girard-Perregaux Sea Hawk Pro 3000m

Great review & pictures there seikomatic, thanks for the comparison shots as well. Always liked the look of these in all the variations, just the size would be too big for me...Nice dive watch.

Nice post about a great watch. Congratulations, you must be very happy! :thumbright:
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Blog Entries

Great review, that made nice reading whilst starting up my computer at work :)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Banned

Every WIS should try a GP 8)

Even my bad photography can't make it look crap :twisted:

Really well presented review, and always nice to something other than the ubiquitous Rolex too.

Thanks for sharing, nice and honest review. :thumbright:

One question: the deplonment clasp is also in titanium I assume? I believe on the rubber straps on the Laureato EVO³ they only have a steel clasp, which is a strange combo on the titanium ones.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66
    Every WIS should try a GP 8)

Even my bad photography can't make it look crap :twisted:
    Well...

Excellent review and stonking photos - nice job :)

Master

Very nice review.

I had the Sea Hawk 11 BMW Oracle Golden Gate version for a while. Great watch. Beautifully made. Mine was quite a hunk in steel on the rubber strap but because that brilliant clasp makes micro adjustments so quick and easy, it never felt unbalanced. I also owned an earlier Sea Hawk about 20 years ago. That too was impeccably built and finished. In the 90's I was doing a bit in watches and had a GP binge, owning several different colour Ferrari models including a really nice titanium (I think) with a carbon fibre face and also a 250 TR. I'm a big fan, but never buy a new one as they lose a lot of money quickly. Having said that I can think of few better bargains in the used market, if quality is your thing.

Really nice review, Seikomatic. Great shot's of one of my favourite watches, one of these days when the right deal comes up, I shall bag one of these.

Excellent review, as a former owner of that watch I concur, tremendous value for money pre-owned.

Very nice review and a great pictures. IMO, every WIS should have one of these at some point, if they are in to dive watches. When you think of it, for $3-4k you can have a very high quality manufacture watch. Who cares about resale value. If i buy one, it will stay, definitely.

P.S. Just don't buy the titanium bracelet after you buy the watch, that thing goes for $5k :blackeye:

As stated great review - great photos. And cracking watch to boot!

Master

Nice review and pics. My 1000m says 'Hi' - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=202937&view=previous

ME LIKEY! :D

Great photos too.

A

Great watch, and a fantastic review!

Thanks for taking the time to do that review. Enjoyable.. might be tempted by one of these at some point.
    Best,
    James.

Elegant design simply stunning.

Great pics too

Tin

Some more pix to share

and finally, the boxes in proportional to the watch sizes but price tags.

Congrats and a nice review. ONE OF MY FAVORITE WATCHES.
    Have three variations. Here are two.

great review and super photos.

Absolutely brilliant review and pics. Thanks for making the effort.

Very nice watch.

Great review. Ive actually never seen his one before. A diver, indeed.

Good review. Good pics too.

The GPGGYC was one of the best watches of all those, I have had. If not the best.

Fan-friggin-tastic build quality.

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic
    Date window at 6 to 9 minute position is another unique feature of this watch and I can see that the dial be 2mm thick from the depth of the window.
    Part of the depth you see is actually the bottom plate -- thicker than normal in order to accommodate the power reserve (and small seconds on some models) than the standard 3300 movement.