closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coming soon to a SC near you! Black Omega SMP Ceramic

Re: Coming soon to a SC near you! Black Omega SMP Ceramic

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff
    Do you reckon 30% discount could be had?

Yep

I was offered 25% off a new Omega in Market Cross before I had even tried it on. I'm certain there was more if I'd really wanted it and haggled a bit harder.

Dunno that would be a big ask at a high strt AD

Maybe some where on the internet.... Swisswatchesdirect perhaps?

But you can only ask....

Its a lot of rrp but its a lot of watch, half what rolex want for a new sub and about the same as a tudor black bay.... But with the co-axial movement which does set it apart from the plethora of other eta powered brands....

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff
    Do you reckon 30% discount could be had?

20% yes, perhaps a tad more with luck and before the 12th July price increase.

I know an AD who would do that deal next week if you're wanting to buy now............

Excellent photos, I hadn't looked properly at any before, I assumed it was just a slightly tartier version of the 2531. I like that a lot.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    Excellent photos, I hadn't looked properly at any before, I assumed it was just a slightly tartier version of the 2531. I like that a lot.
    Absolutely, they just need a bracelet redesign and its done

Wow. Stunning.
    Last edited by Daniel; 20th July 2012 at 17:40.

Angry Why do I hate 3 O'Clock???

Great looking photographs of what is so nearly a stunning watch; the one thing I just can't understand why Omega went for a painted on luminous marker at 3 O'Clock when all the others have the nice metal collars. For me I'd have missed it out if they don't have the space (it doesn't seem to hurt the Rolex Sub); please note that this isn't knocking either brand as I own both - just a stylistic nit-pick from Omega that really bugs me!

Much prefer that to the blue dial, 40 more posts to go...

holy thread resurrection, to book mark as my father in law wants one of these and I have been asked to source one.

He initially wanted a rolex but has a budget, when we looked at what he could get with the funds and the fact he is a current SMP owner and wearer. He is taken with this as it is half the price of a Sub.

I spoke to him this morning and I have advised him to visit the local AD that luckily has both options and try them both on, then let me know what he thinks.

Great watch and great pics.will be checking SC on a daily basis from now!
    Dave

Master
    Beautiful watch, and great photos.

Craftsman

I like it..

Funny though how different we all feel about NEW watches...There is always something about the newer version that turns "us" off...I actually feel all changes work perfectly..From hands to dial to bezel..Very nice indeed..

That is stunning, congrats, great photos too.

Great shots and the watch is stunning!

Journeyman
    Very nice, this forum is going to cost me a lot of ££££s!

Master
    I was all set to buy the PO 8500 till I saw this in person and wow its stunning and now Im leaning more towards this.

Grand Master
    I don`t usually comment on resurrected threads like this one, but I`ll break my own rule here.

I've owned and serviced several older-style SMPs over the last few years. I had a look at the latest model a few weeeks ago and I was impressed......but not over-impressed. The new bracelet is pretty much like the old one (which I like a lot) but the clasp is smaller and the links are held with screws to facilitate easier adjustment. The ceramic bezel and smooth dial look OK and the watch has a real feel of quality about it.

Shortly after I managed to pick up a 2009 black bond SMP from SC and I have to say I prefer it to the new ceramic model. I prefer the 'blackness' of the bezel rather than the grey look of the ceramic, and I also prefer the wavy dial. The bracelet's fine, just takes a little longer to adjust.

For me, the last versions of the old model are the ones to own. The dials had improved subtly over the years and the 2500c movement is excellent. I`ve never been a fan of the blue bond watches but the black one is fine....still not sure about the skeleton hands but I`ve got used to them now.

There's also a small matter of price. Omega have raised the prices of the latest version to a level that makes it unattractive to me.....a far cry from the days when a SMP cost just under £1200 in 2007.

I`ll be using my SMP as a training course in how to service co-axials shortly. Seems a shame to dismantle it when it's running so well but that's one of the reasons I bought it.

Paul

i like thsi model a true omega classic

Craftsman
    That is a cracking watch, one for my list!

Beautiful and well built looking watch, Omega really are raising the bar with the quality of their watches, very impressive indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I don`t usually comment on resurrected threads like this one, but I`ll break my own rule here.

I've owned and serviced several older-style SMPs over the last few years. I had a look at the latest model a few weeeks ago and I was impressed......but not over-impressed. The new bracelet is pretty much like the old one (which I like a lot) but the clasp is smaller and the links are held with screws to facilitate easier adjustment. The ceramic bezel and smooth dial look OK and the watch has a real feel of quality about it.

Shortly after I managed to pick up a 2009 black bond SMP from SC and I have to say I prefer it to the new ceramic model. I prefer the 'blackness' of the bezel rather than the grey look of the ceramic, and I also prefer the wavy dial. The bracelet's fine, just takes a little longer to adjust.

For me, the last versions of the old model are the ones to own. The dials had improved subtly over the years and the 2500c movement is excellent. I`ve never been a fan of the blue bond watches but the black one is fine....still not sure about the skeleton hands but I`ve got used to them now.

There's also a small matter of price. Omega have raised the prices of the latest version to a level that makes it unattractive to me.....a far cry from the days when a SMP cost just under £1200 in 2007.

I`ll be using my SMP as a training course in how to service co-axials shortly. Seems a shame to dismantle it when it's running so well but that's one of the reasons I bought it.

Paul
    hi Paul, can anybody have this co axial training? :-)
    I would love the chance to get stuck into one of those but heard its a tough nut to crack and can really only be done at Omega?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammt79 View Post
    hi Paul, can anybody have this co axial training? :-)
    I would love the chance to get stuck into one of those but heard its a tough nut to crack and can really only be done at Omega?
    Depends how competent you are with 'normal' watches. I`ve read several technical notes about the peculiarities of dismantling/reassembly of the escapement and fitting of the balance. I`ve also spoken to my BHI course tutor who's been on the Omega training course and he says they are tricky to work on. The lubrication is vital and must not be overdone; a microscope is essential to judge this (so I`m told). There are no special tools required except for the tool to carry out regulation which costs around £70 from Cousins.

All that remains is for me to dismantle my own movement (which is running perfectly) in the interests of personal development.........it isn`t at the top of my priority list and won`t get tackled till next year.

The 'only possible at Omega' myth is just that.....a myth. However, I`m told there's scope for breaking things if the disassembly isn`t done with due care.

Paul

Journeyman
    Never a fan of the SMP but this sure has changed my mind

Funnily enought I bought this watch off Neil and have only worn it a few times, after buying a Hublot today it may be for sale so if anyone is interested drop me a PM and we can discuss :)

Craftsman
    Photos that rank up there with the best. Not a bad looking watch either!

Journeyman
    Only yesterday I bought mine . wow , why oh why have I gone so long before buying one .
    As you said the build quality and finish are right up there with the best of them .
    Bought mine used but with no box or papers ( which I've never done )so not like me . However at the price I paid for it and the condition being absolutely mint it was impossible to resist .
    Fits like and old pair of slippers .

Quote Originally Posted by sunster View Post
    That liquid metal dial looks stunning....forgive me by saying it looks better minus waves
    Totally agree!

Blog Entries

Couldn't resist.

Excelent

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    Totally agree!
    I am not sure the dial is ever liquid metal and in this case even the bezel. My understanding is that it is a ceramic bezel on the Seamaster. Willing to stand corrected.

Craftsman
    Nice choice. Nice watch. Nice photos...
    Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I am not sure the dial is ever liquid metal and in this case even the bezel. My understanding is that it is a ceramic bezel on the Seamaster. Willing to stand corrected.
    No need to stand ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Have they improved the bezel action on these new version? as the pre-ceramic ones don't really turn easily.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by matt109 View Post
    Have they improved the bezel action on these new version? as the pre-ceramic ones don't really turn easily.
    They turn OK when clean but they do gunk up easily and the scalloped shape isn't easy to grasp when they are wet. If the watch is in good nick the earlier one works OK.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    They turn OK when clean but they do gunk up easily and the scalloped shape isn't easy to grasp when they are wet. If the watch is in good nick the earlier one works OK.
    Agreed, build-up of dirt and gunge can cause problems, but the bezel spring is also an issue. The tension in the tangs (which cause the bezel to click) can vary, and this can change the feel of the bezel action markedly. Took me a while to work this out, it isn't obvious at a glance when the bezel is off, but it's the one reason why they can vary so much from watch to watch.

My comments are based on the old model, but I assume the ceramic will be the same design. The fluted edges on the bezel don't make it easy to grip, that's' s a design weakness IMO where aesthetics has taken priority over practicality.

Provided the watch isn't leaking (it shouldn't!) it pays to clean the bezel frequently by immersing it in water with a little detergent and rotating the bezel a few times. Give it a rinse in clean water to displace detergent residues.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Agreed, build-up of dirt and gunge can cause problems, but the bezel spring is also an issue. The tension in the tangs (which cause the bezel to click) can vary, and this can change the feel of the bezel action markedly. Took me a while to work this out, it isn't obvious at a glance when the bezel is off, but it's the one reason why they can vary so much from watch to watch.

My comments are based on the old model, but I assume the ceramic will be the same design. The fluted edges on the bezel don't make it easy to grip, that's' s a design weakness IMO where aesthetics has taken priority over practicality.

Provided the watch isn't leaking (it shouldn't!) it pays to clean the bezel frequently by immersing it in water with a little detergent and rotating the bezel a few times. Give it a rinse in clean water to displace detergent residues.

Paul
    Makes a lot of sense that.

It might have been a thread resurrection but it was worth it to see the photo's. The gloss and depth on that dial is mesmerising. I like!

One of the very few watches I sold was an original SMP because the wave dial just felt dated. I liked everything else about the watch though so this one is quite interesting :-)