closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: zeno explorer ...feelings....

zeno explorer ...feelings....

how do you live with the zeno explorer...
    knowing it is not a rolex?

I know, it's a funny question but...
    like, do you want the real stuff?
    like when you are in love with a girl and you date her sister?
    or... simply you are truly a zeno fan.

humm... I don't know... do you?

which, probably explains whiy, I might go for the seahunter,
    it's got more individual personality.

ok, ciao

I mean,
    maybe if rolex was not making the explorer any longer,
    zeno would be the best vintage replica you could find.
    which would be a point.

but rolex still make the explorer, so...

but then again, like, the new explorer, I dunno, it kind of sucks.
    I should buy one and fit it with a vintage dial.

and spend a bloody fortune!

ok, ciao!

Grand Master
    The Zeno Explorer with the beautifully domed acrylic crystal is much nicer than the plane-sapphire Rolex Explorers currently in production. :D
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

is there a Rolex Explorer too?
    :o

Chris W.
    I think The Lonerider's review of the Explorer says it nicely here http://www.angelfire.com/mech/thelonerider/ex.html

Here's a quote: "The Rolex Explorer was originally a "tool" watch for active people looking for a simple, reliable wristwatch. For all the virtues of a new Rolex Explorer or a pricey antique 1016, niether option is practical considering the watch's original role. I would not want to wear a watch that cost several thousand dollars out of doors.

The Zeno Explorer, at a more reasonable $290 US dollars from Zeno USA , is perhaps a more appropriate inheritor of the spirit of the original ten-sixteen: its rugged simplicity -- accompanied by a price that ensures it gets worn, not locked in a safe."

He talks about this subject more in his review but I think that captures it. I don't own a Zeno Explorer -- yet. I love the no nonsense aspect of the watch. I have a none-date O&W M-4 and it has the same movement. I love my M-4 and think the Explorer would be a nice addition to my collection.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris W.
    I think The Lonerider's review of the Explorer says it nicely here http://www.angelfire.com/mech/thelonerider/ex.html.
    A really nicely thought out review and it mentions TimeFactors!

My eyes are on the old shape Zeno 300m diver, but I do like the Explorer a lot

Bubi: If you can afford a Rolex Explorer then buy buy the Zeno also.

The Rolex is auctionning for US$ 4,000+
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ALL-ORIGINAL-1963-R ... dZViewItem

The Zeno sells for US$265
    http://www.timefactors.com/zeno401.htm

Me thinks that if you had both you'll find yourself wearing the Zeno all the time because you'll be too worried about damaging your Rolex and then after awhile selling the Rolex because you can't justify keeping a watch you never wear... :wink:

ah!

you guys....

Apprentice
    New York City: The city that never sleeps-- If it got some, it wouldn't look so crappy!
    Check out this review of a modern Rolex Explorer:

http://www.timezone.com/library/horo...horologium0036

Quote:
    "In the current watch market, the poor quality of the movement--and relatively good quality of the case and dial--suggests that this watch should retail in the $600 to $800 range."

Master
    Blog Entries

I own both....

And the Zeno is a Gem!!

Regards,
    M

Re: I own both....

Quote Originally Posted by milwatch126
    And the Zeno is a Gem!!

Regards,
    M
    Agreed! A beauty :)

Journeyman

Rolex price-points...

A year ago, I saw a Rolex Explorer in a department store in Tomokomai, Japan for $2800USD (it was actually in Yen, but that's what it converted to at the exchange rate).

It looked pretty good, but I'd be more concerned about bashing it around than I would a Zeno.

An "homage" doesn't have the same cheezy cache` as a "copy." I'll be happy with my ZEX, when I get it.

I had the current model Rolex Explorer, it was a very nice beautifully built watch but I could never quite 'bond' with its looks (that flat sapphire spoils it IMO).
    I have a Zeno Explorer (one of Eddie's last with the Miyota movement), it's a very cool watch & just looks so right. :D
    I sold the Rolex after 6 months, the Zeno however is staying put.

Cheers
    Dave

:)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY
    I had the current model Rolex Explorer, it was a very nice beautifully built watch but I could never quite 'bond' with its looks (that flat sapphire spoils it IMO).
    I have a Zeno Explorer (one of Eddie's last with the Miyota movement), it's a very cool watch & just looks so right. :D
    As strong a testimony as it gets. :wink:

The uncoated sapphire crystal is the strongest argument against the REX, IMHO. :)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

I'm more than happy with my ZeX. :) :) And I'm more than happy to wear it. :) :) :)
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY

Cheers
    Dave

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I used to own one of these older models ... and some weeks back I happened to be handling a colleague?s Zeno Explorer ... the Rolex case is a beautiful piece of engineering whereas the Zeno is just a little lump.

I am sorry but we are not comparing like with like. Do you want to borrow my glasses?

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

John
    I agree, the older acrylic crystal Rolex Explorer in your picture is a lovely watch and as I said the current model Rolex Explorer with sapphire crystal that I had was beautifully built.
    However on a purely looks basis i'd rather have the Zeno than the current Explorer. I never said the Zeno was better built (it's obviously not) but then it is a massive amount cheaper.
    Aesthetics are obviously subjective but IMO the current Rolex Explorer with its flat sapphire and white gold edged markers on the dial is just not as good looking as either the ZEX or the acrylic Explorer.
    Better built, of higher quality & in a different league /price bracket than the Zeno definitely, but just not as pleasing to my eyes.
    Which is why I now have a Zeno Explorer, if I could still buy a brand new acrylic crystal Rolex Explorer, i'd also have one of those too.

Cheers
    Dave

you know,

in the end... I just got the PRS18A.

BUT!

my next plan is getting the explorer, though... not the zeno.
    What can I say, it's the 50m wr that's getting me, and that plastic glass... they just don't survive on me.

So,
    tell you what:
    it'll be something on the lines of a
    sandoz explorer
    +
    yao dial, if it fits, of course. And, humm, still have not made my mind up on which dial 369 v milsub v ...???

that way I get the explorer feeling
    smart, simple, robust watch
    with non rolex psyko conflicting custom dial.

like, people will ask, what watch is that?
    and I would answer,
    oh, actually it's a creation of mine... you don't find this type of watch in the shops...
    now, sod off! :shock:

maybe for my birthday... who knows!
    oh, I'm such a fool for lume!

cheers,

Grand Master
    The Zeno Explorer can be had with optional sapphire as well ... although I think it is a pity to forego the beautifully domed acrylic on the ZEX. :)

According to this website, the Sandoz (Singapore) Explorer is rated to only 30 meters as opposed to the 50 meters of the ZEX, by the way. :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Journeyman
    Bubi

I did the custom Explorer that you are thinking about. I bought the ZEX from Eddie, but did not care for the lume. I contemplated having the dial relumed, but had a custom dial (based on the 1016 dial) made by Kent Parks. He also relumed the hands to match the new lume on the dial. It is one of my favorite watches. I would not be too concerned about whether the Zeno Explorer will survive you -- it's one tough watch. I also agree with Crusader that one of the things that makes the ZEX unique is the domed crystal (you won't get that with the Sandoz).

Grand Master
    Does anyone know the lug width of the Sandoz Explorer? The ZEX is a practical 20mm.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    Does anyone know the lug width of the Sandoz Explorer? The ZEX is a practical 20mm.
    I think the Sandoz is 19mm (I had one that I gave to my Dad), but it could be a slightly mad 19.25mm!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

sandoz singapore sucks,
    the sandoz hong kong is the one rated 10 bar,
    sapphire front and back.
    (there's a lot of sandoz around...)

interesting news about zeno with sapphire, but yeah, it probably looks better with domed acrylic.
    I know it is very tough, but it just scratches so easily...
    when I got the tudor chrono the guy said
    no, it's not mineral glass, its plastic. but its super tough plastic!
    now it super scratched tough plastic...

then recently I got the oris pointer date big crown,
    scratched it after 2 weeks.
    I'm selling it, by the way. but that's because it is too ald style looking for me. and the crystal, well, that's not helping!

anyway
    so many watches,
    so few wrists...

my favourite superhero?
    mr fantastic from the fantastic 4
    just immagine how many watches he can wear if he stretches out his wrist...
    well, kinda hard to read the time if you wear too many,
    but he's probably got supervision as well.

whatever!

no?

Craftsman
    That easy to polish with diplex (poliwatch) in few second. You could found it in any Mobile phone shop (Telefonino). You could use brasso (Mirror in France, product for polish cooper) or product for polish car chrome like autosol.

Ciao,

Dynamo

Thomas Reid
    Pristine looking explorer type watches make it look like you've not been doing enough exploring. ;)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    Pristine looking explorer type watches make it look like you've not been doing enough exploring. ;)
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier

Best wishes,
    Bob
    They are probably undertaking explorations of inner space. :hippy2: :drunken:

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!