closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Using an 80's Hot Hatch As a Daily Drive

Anybody Using an 80's Hot Hatch As a Daily Drive

I just picked this up at the weekend, over the last few months I was getting fed up with my Truck and was looking for something 80's. Back in the day I had most of the hot hatches, VeeDubs, 205's XR's, GTE's and so on but always liked Golfs so I sold the truck and bought this. Fortunately they are starting to be priced out of the boy racers hands with insurance costs and the selling prices are slowly starting to creep up for good ones. It'll be my only car for tooting around in, I don't do many miles just work and the odd run out to the supermarket at the weekend.

A million miles away from the fantasy motors usually discussed here in the G&D :D Anybody still driving a hot hatch every day.

As a lad in the petrol station said to me "Bang Tidy Mister" whatever that's all about :lol: :lol:

Re: Anybody Using an 80's Hot Hatch As a Daily Drive

I was given an audi 80 sport a few years back.

Loads of fun if a little scary.
    Then a mate offered me his 306 Gti6 which was a lot of fun.
    Sensible mondeo now.
    Would love another old audi at some stage..

Great choice.
    I still have an 89 Rallye Golf.

Not my daily driver as you can imagine. But a MKII Golf GTI would be my choice.

Get it back to standard, ditch the single headlight grille :wink:

Master

My dad bought a 309 gti a few years back, spend a little doing it up got it in one of the pug mags, kept it for weekends etc then started to drive it to work more often, then sold and consolidated two cars in to one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60
    Get it back to standard, ditch the single headlight grille :wink:

nice MkII you've got there, I did that same grille on a 16V Jetta, but now those MkIIs are becoming more of a classic, OEM is the way to go I'd agree

I'm thinking of doing the same, probably will get out of hand financially as there are some lovely cars out there, but a nice oak green 16v or maybe an e30 325i sport would do it for me.

I've just done 2855 miles in a month in my new car, just too much fun to drive but as its got a 4.0V8 in it, I've got to find another way to do the commute before I'm ruined

Quote Originally Posted by bloater
    My dad bought a 309 gti a few years back, spend a little doing it up got it in one of the pug mags, kept it for weekends etc then started to drive it to work more often, then sold and consolidated two cars in to one.
    I had a 309GTI back in the day. I absolutely loved that car, just great to drive but not particularly reliable. Starter motor was dodgy for years so I always had to park on a hill :D Very underrated compared to the 206GTI.

I wouldn't think there are many about these days...probably dated pretty badly by now too.

To be honest I was never really after a standard car and this one is a reasonably good base to start with. I don't mind the single headlight at all and they have an upgraded box wired in so they are actually bright, a bit of a failing of the originals.

One thing I will sort out probably this weekend is the tyres, never understood why someone would spend a few quid on decent rims then skimp and by cheap sh!t tyres, they are also far to narrow for the rims,165/40-16, although this "stretched" look is in it just doesn't look like the tyre will stay on the rim. I'm not even sure how legal it is.

And an angle grinder to get the fake roll cage out :D again a pointless thing to have in a road car, just more to hit your head on if you have an off. I'm not sure it will come out without taking the seats out but we'll soon find out :lol: :lol:

I still get all gooey eyed if I see a mk2 XR2 with pepperpot wheels :wink:

Craftsman

Here's my daily dose of the 80s:

Master

Saw an old boy in a '79 MKII RS2000 at the weekend. The cleanest, most original one you'll ever see so could have had it from new. The way he was driving it looks like it has had a very easy life.

Quote Originally Posted by hotblack944

Oh I love that ... Is it expensive to keep running ?

Master

Not really 80's but same theme!

Great for keeping the miles off the van and the scooby/ dumping at the pub/ as a courtesy car and did 44mpg to london the other weekend!

944 is next on the list...

Quote Originally Posted by chime101
    I still get all gooey eyed if I see a mk2 XR2 with pepperpot wheels :wink:
    Tai Mi Shu said that she had one of them. Mibbes aye, mibbes naw :wink:
    ______

​Jim.

Banned

I used to have an Alfasud, loved every second owning it. Might buy another one 8)

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by chime101
    Quote Originally Posted by hotblack944
    Oh I love that ... Is it expensive to keep running ?
    Thanks. It's not too bad - budget on average £1000 per year for maintenance. Mind you, the engine rebuild hurt :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by taffytoon
    I used to have an Alfasud, loved every second owning it. Might buy another one 8)
    Haven't they all rusted away now?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Haven't they all rusted away now?

Eddie
    Having looked at a few on the internet you may be right Eddie, I remember mine was a rust bucket when I owned it in the 80's :lol:

Master

'93 but an eighties car to all intents and purposes, and basically a stretched Sud. (and virtually no rust). We've put nearly 30k on it in the last three years. It has some maddening quirks but is very rewarding to drive. This is the 1.7 16v version.

(And if anyone has £3500 it's theirs)

I ran a 5dr MKII Golf GTI 16v for approx 18 months as a daily driver between Leeds and Sheffield, only parting with it at the beginning of this year when I finally moved to Sheffield and no longer needed an extra car for commuting. Mine was minty and in the time I owned it, I probably spent £400 bringing it totally back up to original spec. When I sold it I had put about 20k extra on the clock yet I made the £400 back on top of the original purchase price.

When I bought it everyone I knew thought I was mad, but if you have a garage to keep the worst of the weather off it and look after it sympathetically, you can run a nice old Golf without losing a penny. You need to buy wisely in the first place though, as there's lots of dross out there and nice original cars are hard to come by.

Master

Within the last few years I used these at differing times as daily drives. Now all gone and missed though I've stuck with the Golf and have a TSI hatch which is lovely in its own way but somehow lacks the soul of the "classic" hot hatches. :(

[quote="jneds"]Within the last few years I used these at differing times as daily drives. Now all gone and missed though I've stuck with the Golf and have a TSI hatch which is lovely in its own way but somehow lacks the soul of the "classic" hot hatches. :(

Nice Oak Green valver - mine was in Diamond Schwarz and I feel sad now for letting it go :(

I used a fiat Tipo sedicivalvole for my weekly commute to Portsmouth from Kent up to a couple of years ago. Loved it and still miss the looks on people's faces as they were out dragged by an old fiat, 2 litre 16 valve twin cam with no rust. :D

Craftsman

Ah you can't beat the 80s for cars... miss both of these so much :(

(2.0 16v :D)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67
    '93 but an eighties car to all intents and purposes, and basically a stretched Sud. (and virtually no rust). We've put nearly 30k on it in the last three years. It has some maddening quirks but is very rewarding to drive. This is the 1.7 16v version.

(And if anyone has £3500 it's theirs)

I had the newer version ( one of many Alfa's ) the 146ti Cloverleaf. I would eat most GTi's for breakfast. It was wonderful.

I used to have a mk2 golf gti. Absolutely loved it. Considered getting another one just the other day, but I think I've maybe got too used to "modern" things now, like power steering.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jneds
    Within the last few years I used these at differing times as daily drives. Now all gone and missed though I've stuck with the Golf and have a TSI hatch which is lovely in its own way but somehow lacks the soul of the "classic" hot hatches. :(

I had a Jetta GTi 16V from new in Feb 89 after leaving BMW upon joining a shipping company. It was white with power steering and did 27,000 miles in the next eight months or so without missing a beat. Great engine although it needed revving far more than the 8V version to get the best out of it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by paulyg
    Ah you can't beat the 80s for cars... miss both of these so much :(

(2.0 16v :D)
    Brave boy :lol: I hope you upgraded the Mk1 brakes :wink: I worked for VW in 1983/4 and the Mk1s were phenomenal cars, especially the 1.8 which was so much more torquey than the 1.6. Driving one in their own time gave you a great sense of occasion every time you took one out.

Ah, Zinnober Red 325i Sport. They were fantastic! I also worked for BMW in 88/9 and everyone loved taking the Sports out.

Master

This was my daily driver for around a year...

...and I now have this but it only comes out when the weather is good. So not often then!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c
    ...and I now have this but it only comes out when the weather is good. So not often then!

Beautiful and very rare! Excellent handling!! That's in beautiful condition too.

Some nice cars on show, a few thoughts on the comments though :D

Five doors, two doors to many. It means you had brats and pushchairs, probably picked your old mother and her cronies up from the bing, none of which could get in or out the back of a three door hence not counted as a true hot hatch. Just look at todays prices, even good five doors aren't making anywhere as much money, tells you everything you need to know.

The Corrado/944 nice as they are and arguably the latter 944 250 horse Turbo was a better car than the similar year 911 they are sports coupes so not really for this thread. Again the 309 Gti pug was a better balanced car than the 1.9 205 but derived from a saloon so its out as well. Had both and I did like the 205's fast but fragile.

BMW E30 same reason, saloon car and if you take the rose tinted glasses off barring the M3 not that good, horrendous fuel consumption, not really that quick and evil handling on the limit, my boss managed to put one on its roof and wrote the thing off.

Alfa's.......................... your joking right ??? :lol: :lol:

Golf Gti Mk1 vs Mk2, the Mk1 was a great car but I personally think the Mk2 is a more accomplished and refined car and a better all rounder in every way.

VW 8v vs 16v again imho and price go against this the 8v motor is better for a daily driver, had both and prefer the torquey motor. The outright performance of the valver is negligible unless you are really on it and there aren't many places left you can do that these days.

And lastly the Rally on the first page looks immaculate but sorry unfortunately it must be one of the ugly'st looking rally reps of the 80's give it up and buy an Integralie :twisted:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BondandBigM
    BMW E30 same reason, saloon car and if you take the rose tinted glasses off barring the M3 not that good, horrendous fuel consumption, not really that quick and evil handling on the limit, my boss managed to put one on its roof and wrote the thing off.
    I think the 325 was quick enough, certainly for its day. 0-60 in less than 7 seconds and 140mph in 1986 was reasonably formidable then. The only let down was, as you mention, the handling in all but the Sport models or those standard cars with the M-Tech suspension specced which made a huge difference. The early 325i Sports didn't have the limited slip diff that the later cars had and that also improved them greatly.

Master

Five doors, two doors to many.
    That's fightin' talk :)

I hate cars with four/five seats and two doors, neither fish nor fowl. It always seems terribly rude to ask your guests to clamber past the B-post.

And lastly the Rally on the first page looks immaculate but sorry unfortunately it must be one of the ugly'st looking rally reps of the 80's give it up and buy an Integralie :twisted:
    Each to their own :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by BSB
    I think the 325 was quick enough, certainly for its day. 0-60 in less than 7 seconds and 140mph in 1986 was reasonably formidable then. The only let down was, as you mention, the handling in all but the Sport models or those standard cars with the M-Tech suspension specced which made a huge difference. The early 325i Sports didn't have the limited slip diff that the later cars had and that also improved them greatly.
    Verification of those figures or it didn't happen :lol: :lol:

You're rose tinted glasses are well tinted :D

A quick look around on the google and even for a later E30 UK 325 Mtec is around 7.5/8+ seconds to 60 and low 16 seconds in the quarter mile, as I said not that quick and a mile away from a six second to sixty car. I will concede that this might depend on the final drive ratio in the rear end, I'm not sure what options would have been available.

Craftsman

I've got a nice, but dull MkV Golf, and every so often get a hankering to rewind back to a MkII. My GF used to have a Fiat x19 (not a hot hatch I know) and when drunk and on eBay the other night I was about 2 seconds away from buying myself one.

Blog Entries

A quick look around on the google and even for a later E30 UK 325 Mtec is around 7.5/8+ seconds to 60 and low 16 seconds in the quarter mile, as I said not that quick and a mile away from a six second to sixty car. I will concede that this might depend on the final drive ratio in the rear end, I'm not sure what options would have been available.
    I certainly didn't say a 6 sec-to-sixty car but, what you're perhaps forgetting is that in 1986, even a 7.5 sec time represented a quick car. Remember that even some of the 'supercars' of the time such as the V12 XJS and the non-Vantage Aston Martin V8 would do little better back then. This was a time before the 16V iterations of the GTi and the Astra GTE and the 8V versions were struggling to better 8.5 secs to 60 in standard form. Even when the 16V Golf came out, it was officially timed by Autocar & Motor at 7.9 0-60 (the Jetta version actually recorded 7.1 secs in their hands by virtue of a slightly taller 2nd gear that just crept past 60mph). Anyhow, if you haven't driven a 325i Sport (or any other E30 325 with the M-Tech suspension), I'd thoroughly recommend a drive as they were very rewarding.

Master

I thought my 325 Sport was a fairly quick (for the era) and it handled OK. The straight six sounded lovely at full chat too :drunken: I've also owned a Porsche 944 from around the same time and it wasn't as well screwed together as the BMW. It was only the Lux version but I have to say I didn't bond with it at all (particularly when it came to paying for parts!).

Master

It's not always about the numbers but the way it does it. The Alfa flat four just feels so eager rev.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67
    It's not always about the numbers but the way it does it. The Alfa flat four just feels so eager rev.
    Absolutely! It's important to bear in mind that appreciation of cars is not only objective but also, very much subjective. A car that ignites the soul of one man will leave another cold.

I certainly didn't say a 6 sec-to-sixty car but, what you're perhaps forgetting is that in 1986, even a 7.5 sec time represented a quick car. Remember that even some of the 'supercars' of the time such as the V12 XJS and the non-Vantage Aston Martin V8 would do little better back then. This was a time before the 16V iterations of the GTi and the Astra GTE and the 8V versions were struggling to better 8.5 secs to 60 in standard form. Even when the 16V Golf came out, it was officially timed by Autocar & Motor at 7.9 0-60 (the Jetta version actually recorded 7.1 secs in their hands by virtue of a slightly taller 2nd gear that just crept past 60mph). Anyhow, if you haven't driven a 325i Sport (or any other E30 325 with the M-Tech suspension), I'd thoroughly recommend a drive as they were very rewarding.
    I have driven a couple and back around that time my boss had alsorts, Alpina's, 535's various 3 series, 911's. It used to be if I washed them at lunchtime I got to take them for a run out to "dry them off" although most times he used to just come out have a look around, good job Bond, jump in and feck off leaving me standing with my bucket and sponge :cry: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries

I have driven a couple and back around that time my boss had alsorts, Alpina's, 535's various 3 series, 911's. It be if I washed them at lunchtime I got to take them for a run out to "dry them off" although most times he used to just come out have a look around, good job Bond, jump in and feck off leaving me standing with my bucket and sponge :cry: :lol: :lol:
    :lol: :D

And if you have a look at the first picture I posted you will see Big M's banger, an E36 323i coupe which although less than the equivalent 325 still has the same horse power as the old version 325 and whist reasonably quick its not a sub seven second, nice driver though :)

Loving those mk I and II Golfs chaps :drunken:

If I lived in the UK I'd certainly have one as a runabout.

Blog Entries

And if you have a look at the first picture I posted you will see Big M's banger, an E36 323i coupe which although less than the equivalent 325 still has the same horse power as the old version 325 and whist reasonably quick nt Sid seven second, nice driver though :)
    The E36 was a nice car but somehow, didn't feel as well bolted together as the E30s. I felt the same about the comparative quality of the first Merc C-Class compared to its 190 predecessor. My ex-colleagues at BMW said they got a lot more quality-control complaints once the E36 came out, certainly in its early days. I think BMW have recovered to a large extent. I had two very late E46 320D Sports which were beautifully built and lovely to drive but, they were unfortunately rendered bleedin' useless in the snow :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c

Beautiful and very rare! Excellent handling!! That's in beautiful condition too.
    This is the best. I miss mine.

ish

Blog Entries

Sorry - the E36 isn't a hatch. Which means its of no interest in the thread. Right? :D

Quote Originally Posted by thattallchap
    Sorry - the E36 isn't a hatch. Which means its of no interest in the thread. Right? :D
    Correct :D

Good luck finding one that will last the winter! :)

My dad drives a Mk II 16v every day, still going strong, 150k or so on the clock. Bits and bobs do go wrong, mainly the windows, but it's been very reliable. He reckons it's the best (road) car he's ever had, but I think for driving I preferred his slightly lowered Maestro EFi, and for looks the 'sud sprint.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by doctorj
    ....but I think for driving I preferred his slightly lowered Maestro EFi...
    Really???? :shock:
    ....and for looks the 'sud sprint.
    That was a fine looking motor :wink: